Brisbane to host the 2032 Summer Olympics; AFL to get ground upgrades?

Brisbane to host the 2032 Summer Olympics; AFL to get ground upgrades?...

Author
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Waz - 26 Feb 2021 11:50 AM
melbourne_terrace - 26 Feb 2021 12:20 AM

Ha Ha. 

Melbourne = the city that worships a sport that the rest of the world doesn’t even know about, or care about. 

The Olympics = biggest global sporting event, 200+ countries cover it, second biggest women’s football
event in the world, biggest men’s youth football event in the world .... and no AFL, NRL, or Cricket. 

The Brisbane Olympics = lets feature NRL and Cricket as exhibition sports 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Waz with his nose out of joint because Brisbane is copping a bit of stick.

Lol.

When I lived in Brisbane and you asked someone what was good about it they'd say 'oh there's Straddie and the Goldy, the sunny coast, the hinterland, there's heaps'.

And what have all those places got in common?

Not one of them is in Brisbane.

That's how good Brisbane is.

The Olympics aren't what they used to be but there's no doubt they'll be a success.  

Even if they are in Brisbane.

Member since 2008.

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 26 Feb 2021 10:14 PM
Waz with his nose out of joint because Brisbane is copping a bit of stick.

Lol.

When I lived in Brisbane and you asked someone what was good about it they'd say 'oh there's Straddie and the Goldy, the sunny coast, the hinterland, there's heaps'.

And what have all those places got in common?

Not one of them is in Brisbane.

That's how good Brisbane is.

The Olympics aren't what they used to be but there's no doubt they'll be a success.  

Even if they are in Brisbane.

It just shows how insecure people from NSWs and Victoria are - the Olympics (might) be in Brisbane and you have to try and relegate the event somehow. 

Just remember you fuckwits: we all live where you go on holiday! 

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Waz - 26 Feb 2021 11:07 PM

It just shows how insecure people from NSWs and Victoria are - the Olympics (might) be in Brisbane and you have to try and relegate the event somehow. 

You are the one throwing around lines at another city, where most comments seemed to focus more on the fact the Olympics are a waste of money in most people’s eyes these days. That wouldn’t matter if it was Melbourne or Sydney, the viewpoint is the same. 

With yearly events like the Australian Open tennis and F1 GP held in Victoria, along with the many other codes and events that occur, I think many would see numerous smaller but more regular events as economically the better deal, both provide significant global reach, spread across multiple years at less cost. This state is definitely more than the AFL, even though it does have an unhealthy obsession with it at times. 

As for going on holiday, Brisbane is certainly not on my list for that sorry. Just remember though, people often go on holiday somewhere, but they don’t want to live there :)

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Heart_fan - 27 Feb 2021 12:50 AM

You are the one throwing around lines at another city, where most comments seemed to focus more on the fact the Olympics are a waste of money in most people’s eyes these days. That wouldn’t matter if it was Melbourne or Sydney, the viewpoint is the same. 

With yearly events like the Australian Open tennis and F1 GP held in Victoria, along with the many other codes and events that occur, I think many would see numerous smaller but more regular events as economically the better deal, both provide significant global reach, spread across multiple years at less cost. This state is definitely more than the AFL, even though it does have an unhealthy obsession with it at times. 

As for going on holiday, Brisbane is certainly not on my list for that sorry. Just remember though, people often go on holiday somewhere, but they don’t want to live there :)

That's unfair on Brisbane.  They have Straddie, the Goldy, the Sunny coast and the hinterland.

And awesome beaches.

Member since 2008.

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 27 Feb 2021 12:57 AM

That's unfair on Brisbane.  They have Straddie, the Goldy, the Sunny coast and the hinterland.

And awesome beaches.

I’ve seen better beaches. Next :)

Happy to see another Australian city potentially getting the games. The general vibe about the Olympics isn’t great currently though, and the IOC will have a lot of work to do over the next decade to get things back on track. If they don’t, the risk is it ends up being another Goodwill Games type outcome, which Brisbane hosted in 2001 and they were cancelled after that event.
Muz
Muz
Legend

Heart_fan - 27 Feb 2021 1:09 AM
Munrubenmuz - 27 Feb 2021 12:57 AM

I’ve seen better beaches. Next :)

Happy to see another Australian city potentially getting the games. The general vibe about the Olympics isn’t great currently though, and the IOC will have a lot of work to do over the next decade to get things back on track. If they don’t, the risk is it ends up being another Goodwill Games type outcome, which Brisbane hosted in 2001 and they were cancelled after that event.

The beach bit was a joke.  Brisbane beaches, and there's not many, are universally shit. In fact once you get past Noosa the next 2500kms north are shit.  There's some nice ones on the islands off the coast though.  Keppel, Whitsundays.

If you want nice beaches come to NSW.

Member since 2008.

SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

You are the one throwing around lines at another city,

No he's not.  Read the thread.  It's absolutely full of the dumbfuckery that characterises this forum and its endless bigotry.  It took no time at all for the idiots to start attacking Brisbane and Queensland and only then did they move on to the anti-Olympics line.   Waz is responding in kind.  Failing to find real meat for their nasty agenda they then start on irrelevant shit like beaches.  (Melbourne people seem to be less on about the beaches I grant you lol). 

I've seen it all before on these pages and actually only on these pages.  Last time the dimwits were on about coffee shops fffs!

The ignorance and hatred and bile spewed at people in your own fucking country is ridiculous. 

Prediction: No shame will be felt.  Double-down will be the way forward.  Every comment marking a step toward the final demise of this forum.

Go get stuck in!  Don't worry a moment about the 2nd and 3rd biggest football tournaments in the world coming to these shores.  Petty hatred and stupidity is much more the level of this place.

I

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Brissie's ok, especially during the Winter.
Just don't go there during the Summer.

Muz
Muz
Legend

SWandP - 27 Feb 2021 2:12 AM

No he's not.  Read the thread.  It's absolutely full of the dumbfuckery that characterises this forum and its endless bigotry.  It took no time at all for the idiots to start attacking Brisbane and Queensland and only then did they move on to the anti-Olympics line.   Waz is responding in kind.  Failing to find real meat for their nasty agenda they then start on irrelevant shit like beaches.  (Melbourne people seem to be less on about the beaches I grant you lol). 

I've seen it all before on these pages and actually only on these pages.  Last time the dimwits were on about coffee shops fffs!

The ignorance and hatred and bile spewed at people in your own fucking country is ridiculous. 

Prediction: No shame will be felt.  Double-down will be the way forward.  Every comment marking a step toward the final demise of this forum.

Go get stuck in!  Don't worry a moment about the 2nd and 3rd biggest football tournaments in the world coming to these shores.  Petty hatred and stupidity is much more the level of this place.

I

Calm down. You're being overly melodramatic.  Just poking fun at Brisbane and going by the responses it's obvious small man syndrome is a real thing up there.

Already said it will be a success.

Just a shit town to have it in.

Member since 2008.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 27 Feb 2021 10:23 AM

Calm down. You're being overly melodramatic.  Just poking fun at Brisbane and going by the responses it's obvious small man syndrome is a real thing up there.

Already said it will be a success.

Just a shit town to have it in.

FU, I’m 6 foot 4 .... 
Waz
Waz
Legend

I

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Waz - 27 Feb 2021 12:01 PM
Munrubenmuz - 27 Feb 2021 10:23 AM

FU, I’m 6 foot 4 .... 

Around the waist...
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Waz - 26 Feb 2021 11:50 AM
melbourne_terrace - 26 Feb 2021 12:20 AM

Ha Ha. 

Melbourne = the city that worships a sport that the rest of the world doesn’t even know about, or care about. 

The Olympics = biggest global sporting event, 200+ countries cover it, second biggest women’s football
event in the world, biggest men’s youth football event in the world .... and no AFL, NRL, or Cricket. 

lol settle down, i'd be just as against it if Melbourne was to host againn. 

Viennese Vuck

karta
karta
Amateur
Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)

paulc - 25 Feb 2021 3:37 PM
There’s talk of a major stadium at Albion. No doubt will be oval. Another win for the AFL 

I honestly wouldn't mind if it meant Ipswich Lions stopped staining the Gabba's turf. Make some oblong stadium for them and keep the Gabba as a cricket venue. 

Lots of jokes and jealous comments in this thread but at the end of the day it'll be seen as an 'Australian' event so we're all going to be in this together to make it a great time.

Looks like we'll see significant upgrades to North Ipswich Reserve and the Sunshine Coast Stadium, and a new stadium in Cairns which has been on the cards for a long time.
All three can be used year-round by multiple codes and will be a big reason for these areas to apply for promotion to the A-League or NSD. There could be a real, lasting legacy from these games for football in QLD and at the national level.
flat_eric
flat_eric
Hacker
Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)

As per usual there is a lot of irrelevant rubbish and interstate bickering in this thread.

The reality is that if Brisbane and SEQ do host the Olympics in 2032 then there is a great opportunity for Australian football to capitalise - both in terms of the promotion for events that will be played here and the potential investment in football specific infrastructure such as stadiums and training facilities.
Edited
3 Years Ago by flat_eric
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class

flat_eric - 2 Mar 2021 11:43 PM
As per usual there is a lot of irrelevant rubbish and interstate bickering in this thread.

The reality is that if Brisbane and SEQ do host the Olympics in 2032 then there is a great opportunity for Australian football to capitalise - both in terms of the promotion for events that will be played here and the potential investment in football specific infrastructure such as stadiums and training facilities.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but hosting this event may actually see football get a LESS, not more. 

The amount of money required to host the games requires significant funding, not just on facilities but across all sports. The government would need to allocate money across each sport, but that increase has never tended to favour us. 

Ultimately, we are just one of many sports that would all sit there with our hands out asking for cash. 

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class

Further to the above, that’s why it is key we make use of the WWC in 2023. That is our real chance for funding. 

An Olympics has too much of a focus on other sports that tend to take the focus away, whether we are good at those or not. The development funding that the government allocates may well increase overall, but it is spread across more sports to boost chances of winning something, or simply being less crap at it. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I couldn't be happier to see Brisbane host the Olympics, the IOC are clearly after a safe pair of hands in Australia to host and the AOC want to share the love from just Melbourne and Sydney. I worked on the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games and in my view it was a hit, I'm sure they'll do well.

As for football, this is the current administration's chance to show it has it's act together unlike the old Soccer Australia and Lowy regimes when they had major tournaments in Australia and actually get some benefits for football out of it, because as mentioned the AFL are already well ahead of us in the halls of power getting theirs.

Their failure at securing bookings at venues (let alone getting infrastructure upgrades) for the 2023 WWC doesn't fill me with optimism, unfortunately.
Edited
3 Years Ago by paladisious
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Agree with last few posts.
The IOC has changed their approach and no longer favour complete new builds of everything, in fact, favour the re-use of existing infrastructure.

Muz
Muz
Legend

bettega - 3 Mar 2021 8:44 AM
Agree with last few posts.
The IOC has changed their approach and no longer favour complete new builds of everything, in fact, favour the re-use of existing infrastructure.

Dragged kicking and screaming into that decision because no one wants them anymore as a look how big my dick is competition between bidding cities.

Besides FIFA the IOC was the most corrupt bunch of clowns going.  (A lot better now since they introduced a whole bunch of reforms.).  

Member since 2008.

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Not being funny but I wouldn't ever go to Brisbane for a holiday by choice...and I live in Adelaide!

Surely when people say that they are usually referring to the God Coast or something

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

I

Wow...you REALLY like Brisbane!!
People can have preferred places in a country to live or holiday.
Why on earth would it give you ulcers?

Jesus people have crapped on Adelaide for being a country town my whole life but I've never lost my mind over it.

jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Heart_fan - 3 Mar 2021 12:00 AM
flat_eric - 2 Mar 2021 11:43 PM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but hosting this event may actually see football get a LESS, not more. 

The amount of money required to host the games requires significant funding, not just on facilities but across all sports. The government would need to allocate money across each sport, but that increase has never tended to favour us. 

Ultimately, we are just one of many sports that would all sit there with our hands out asking for cash. 

Or we could get more funding by pitching that we have the WWC and 2 football tournaments at the Olympics we are hosting (women and U23) so if we increase funding in football the gov gets a return on investment at 3 major tournaments as opposed to 1 like the other sports. It all depends how we sell it to the Gov

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

LOL, love all the jealously I just read.

Brisbane is a modern city, better placed for families than Melbourne or Sydney. Let’s not even mention the piss ant towns in SA.

Access to the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and hinterland all within an hour. Plenty of places to visit and relax including the islands a short ferry ride across.

Sorry to break the news, but I lived and worked in most of the Australian cities and can say Brisbane wins hands down.

In a resort somewhere

Muz
Muz
Legend

Davide82 - 3 Mar 2021 11:44 AM

Wow...you REALLY like Brisbane!!
People can have preferred places in a country to live or holiday.
Why on earth would it give you ulcers?

Jesus people have crapped on Adelaide for being a country town my whole life but I've never lost my mind over it.

That's because they suffer from 'chip on shoulder' syndrome with great big dollops of parochialism.

Funny you should mention 'country town' because that's what Brisbane bumpkins will tell you about their city.

'It's just like a big country town'. 

You mean like suburbia but 10 times as endless and with shittier traffic?  Yeah, just like a big country town.

The closest beach is an hour an a half away.  Can't call yourself a state capital if you're not on the coast.

Look I'm being a bit harsh on Brisbane, after all I lived there for a decade.  It's not the arse end of the world but you can see it from there.

Plus the whole joint is full of Qld'ers.  (The home of Bob Katter, Pauline Hanson, George Christensen, Malcolm Roberts, Joh.)  Lol, what's not to like?

Member since 2008.

Edited
Muz
Muz
Legend

paulc - 3 Mar 2021 12:05 PM
LOL, love all the jealously I just read.

Brisbane is a modern city, better placed for families than Melbourne or Sydney. Let’s not even mention the piss ant towns in SA.

Access to the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and hinterland all within an hour. Plenty of places to visit and relax including the islands a short ferry ride across.

Sorry to break the news, but I lived and worked in most of the Australian cities and can say Brisbane wins hands down.

20 years ago.  Try getting to the Sunny or the Goldy at anytime on the weekend these days.  

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

Davide82 - 3 Mar 2021 11:35 AM

Not being funny but I wouldn't ever go to Brisbane for a holiday by choice...and I live in Adelaide!

Surely when people say that they are usually referring to the God Coast or something

Ahh very astute observation,  You see to a Brisvegan the Gold Coast, The Sunny coast, Straddie and the hinterland are all one and the same.

Member since 2008.

Edited
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

SOO started early again LOL....

Love Football

Keeper66
Keeper66
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 3 Mar 2021 12:29 PM
Davide82 - 3 Mar 2021 11:44 AM

That's because they suffer from 'chip on shoulder' syndrome with great big dollops of parochialism.

Funny you should mention 'country town' because that's what Brisbane bumpkins will tell you about their city.

'It's just like a big country town'. 

You mean like suburbia but 10 times as endless and with shittier traffic?  Yeah, just like a big country town.

The closest beach is an hour an a half away.  Can't call yourself a state capital if you're not on the coast.

Look I'm being a bit harsh on Brisbane, after all I lived there for a decade.  It's not the arse end of the world but you can see it from there.

Plus the whole joint is full of Qld'ers.  (The home of Bob Katter, Pauline Hanson, George Christensen, Malcolm Roberts, Joh.)  Lol, what's not to like?

Wow, what happened to you when you lived in Brisbane? I know people have preferences for some places, and don't like others, but not too many spit out the amount of bile that you do about it. Particularly when I consider you to be one of the more astute and reasonable posters on here about most other topics.

I'm a Queenslander, and I agree we do have more than our share of nutcases and rednecks, and the parochialism shown at times by some people annoys the shit out of me, but Brisbane and its surrounds (or at least most of it) is not that bad.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search