European Super league.

European Super league.

Author
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Munrubenmuz - 22 Apr 2021 11:19 AM
huddo - 22 Apr 2021 10:52 AM

Irrespective the point remains that it could and can be done glass half empty bloke.

As stated, it has been SKA, with state backing and a company worth 80 billion a year backing it.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

huddo - 22 Apr 2021 11:59 AM
Munrubenmuz - 22 Apr 2021 11:19 AM

As stated, it has been SKA, with state backing and a company worth 80 billion a year backing it.

The 'state backing' would be the travel grant.

Member since 2008.

huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 22 Apr 2021 11:23 AM
huddo - 22 Apr 2021 9:51 AM

Already proved money for travel is not an issue either via gate takings, sponsorship, full or partial grant.  If you care to take your head out of your arse you'd see it's eminently doable.

450k gate takings. Plus sponsorship for a grants, for a competion with little to no exposure, And an expected annual running cost of 2.5 to 3.3 million.

I think we need another frank Lowy.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

huddo - 22 Apr 2021 12:44 PM
Munrubenmuz - 22 Apr 2021 11:23 AM

450k gate takings. Plus sponsorship for a grants, for a competion with little to no exposure, And an expected annual running cost of 2.5 to 3.3 million.

I think we need another frank Lowy.

That's gate takings without food and drink, without corporates, without sponsors and without a (probably small) media component.  Not to mention merch, poker machine income and the big one transfer fees or sell on fees. I'm sure there's other income streams too.  A cut price outfit playing in the second div could probably do it on less than $2 million a season.

So yeah.  Throw up all the road blocks you want and say why this won't work or try and think about how it could. Because at the end of the day the A League is dying.  Only someone wilfully oblivious would not admit that. 

Maybe we should sign Zlatan for the Jets, that'd do it?

Member since 2008.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

The govt spent 100s of millions on the AFL - building stadiums to get the game to where it is. They could throw us a friggen bone to launch a unified comp,.
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Snaffled from Twitter...

Fair play to Florentino Pérez. He said modern attention spans were getting shorter, looked at the 123-year-old Football League, realised that wouldn't do, and devised a competition that was done and dusted 48 hours after it began.

johnsmith
johnsmith
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 21 Apr 2021 10:30 PM
johnsmith - 21 Apr 2021 8:59 PM

As part of the brains trust are you perhaps aware that there are dozens if not hundreds of leagues around the world where the clubs involved have even smaller financial reserves than in Australia. Alot of these leagues are even younger than yours.. How old do you think the Serbian or Croatian league are for example, yet they started 30 odd years ago (I assume) from day dot with multiple divisions and pro/rel... If not from the very first season at least very soon after.  
Lots of leagues start from scratch only difference is they don't ignore every single existing soccer club in their country and start phoney baloney plastic franchises in every city to fleece the dopey investors... even ESL wasn't that money hungry....

In terms of exploring options - rather than being stuck in a rut thinking there is only one solution - we note that in America, the NBA basketball and MLB baseball do not have promotion relegation, and they seem to operate just fine.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

johnsmith - 22 Apr 2021 3:26 PM

In terms of exploring options - rather than being stuck in a rut thinking there is only one solution - we note that in America, the NBA basketball and MLB baseball do not have promotion relegation, and they seem to operate just fine.

your right they are such great examples.
Americans quote many times they have a World Series lol.....
They are not a good example at all to compare with global football.
Your quick google search tells you Football origins Records trace the history back more than 2,000 years ago to ancient China. Greece, Rome, and parts of Central America also claim to have started the sport; but it was England that transitioned soccer, or what the British and many other people around the world call “football,” into the game we know today.
Forget the yanks, all they get is Malls/Amazon/Franchise's in food sport almost most things.

I can imagine your avatar/Jose would puke and have a snarl by your post :)

Love Football

Buggalugs the Third
Buggalugs the Third
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)

Group: Banned Members

They have supporters who are happy to watch meaningless games

Unfortunately for the A-League, they don't

But hey, let's wait til 2034 and maybe have a discussion then

SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 21 Apr 2021 10:17 PM
SUTHERLANDBEAR - 21 Apr 2021 6:45 PM

How are Aleague clubs managing to survive o  less than that with 4 times the "professional expenses" .. Seriously curious as to why you would expect an NSD club to spend double what the Newcastle Jets spend a season? 

The 5million is to run an A league team, not a semi pro team, but i expect you already knew that !
BTW how much do the Jets spend on the whole operation per year, not just the playing squad ?
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 22 Apr 2021 1:17 PM
huddo - 22 Apr 2021 12:44 PM

That's gate takings without food and drink, without corporates, without sponsors and without a (probably small) media component.  Not to mention merch, poker machine income and the big one transfer fees or sell on fees. I'm sure there's other income streams too.  A cut price outfit playing in the second div could probably do it on less than $2 million a season.

So yeah.  Throw up all the road blocks you want and say why this won't work or try and think about how it could. Because at the end of the day the A League is dying.  Only someone wilfully oblivious would not admit that. 

Maybe we should sign Zlatan for the Jets, that'd do it?

Sorry, but how many A league clubs have their own licensed venues with poker machines ?
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 22 Apr 2021 5:02 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 21 Apr 2021 10:17 PM

The 5million is to run an A league team, not a semi pro team, but i expect you already knew that !
BTW how much do the Jets spend on the whole operation per year, not just the playing squad ?

I thought we  were talking about a Second Divison? Sorry If I misunderstood you
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

I agree, rather than blindly following the American sporto-tainment model here with Aleague, why dont we do something groundbreaking and look to the other 250 odd football associations around the world.
Stuck in a rut thinking has led to 17 years of doing the same thing over and over again to rapidly diminishing return....  Some wise old dude once said that if you repeat your actions expecting a different result every time you are a f@cking idiot.
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Buggalugs the Third - 22 Apr 2021 4:55 PM

They have supporters who are happy to watch meaningless games

Unfortunately for the A-League, they don't

But hey, let's wait til 2034 and maybe have a discussion then

Also which other countries is the MLB/NFL/NBA developing players for to compete against? 
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 22 Apr 2021 5:05 PM

Sorry, but how many A league clubs have their own licensed venues with poker machines ?

How many AL clubs have their own anything to turn a quid from?

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

huddo - 22 Apr 2021 10:52 AM
AJF - 22 Apr 2021 10:12 AM

Also look at the fact they no longer exist.

Who says they don't exist? They have just joined the amateur league due to covid and there being no money. But here's the beauty of P/R, they can work their way back up the pyramid via merit, like they have in the past.

Muz
Muz
Legend

None but we're talking about second division clubs aren't we?

And I notice you fixated on one income stream and ignored every other one.  Bravo.

Member since 2008.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

A few years back I had the opportunity to go watch an FFA cup game at the Canberra Deakin ground, I'm not sure what they call themselves these days but once upon a time they were Deakin Croatia.  They own a wonderful club house in Deakin, a fairly central part of Canberra, in fact, not too far away from Parliament House.  The clubhouse is right next to their home ground.  They own that as well, or at least have a long term lease on it.
I'm guessing other clubs around Australia have similar set ups.
All these clubs are currently denied the possibllity of dreaming big and progressing, despite sitting on some fantastic facilities.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

bettega - 23 Apr 2021 9:40 AM
A few years back I had the opportunity to go watch an FFA cup game at the Canberra Deakin ground, I'm not sure what they call themselves these days but once upon a time they were Deakin Croatia.  They own a wonderful club house in Deakin, a fairly central part of Canberra, in fact, not too far away from Parliament House.  The clubhouse is right next to their home ground.  They own that as well, or at least have a long term lease on it.
I'm guessing other clubs around Australia have similar set ups.
All these clubs are currently denied the possibllity of dreaming big and progressing, despite sitting on some fantastic facilities.

here here mate, plenty NPL Clubs can manage being in the NSD upon meeting the other criteria's set down.
So many negatives always - no wonder we can't get anywhere especially by a fan/supporters pov.
We just saw the outcry of the ESL - supporters stood together and got heard.
Huge kudos to the German Clubs and PSG who wouldn't have a bar of it........
A portion of Club owners are the cancer even without Franchise agreements.
Says it all, tradition lives on !

Love Football

SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 23 Apr 2021 8:30 AM

None but we're talking about second division clubs aren't we?

And I notice you fixated on one income stream and ignored every other one.  Bravo.

Fixated because you were talking rubbish.
Buggalugs the Third
Buggalugs the Third
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)

aufc_ole - 22 Apr 2021 7:14 PM
Buggalugs the Third - 22 Apr 2021 4:55 PM

Also which other countries is the MLB/NFL/NBA developing players for to compete against? 

Olympic Basketball is the biggest thing ever , didn't you know ?

Buggalugs the Third
Buggalugs the Third
Hardcore Fan

Richard Scudamore - A-League Advisor

"I cannot explain why any of them thought it was a good idea.

I am the person who had been telling them for years it was a crazy idea and could not happen.

What's happened in the last week is that it's been stopped and that's the right thing.

Anyone who knows me would know I found this completely unacceptable."

Edited
3 Years Ago by Buggalugs the Third
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Buggalugs the Third - 30 Apr 2021 12:03 PM
Richard Scudamore - A-League Advisor

"I cannot explain why any of them thought it was a good idea.

I am the person who had been telling them for years it was a crazy idea and could not happen.

What's happened in the last week is that it's been stopped and that's the right thing.

Anyone who knows me would know I found this completely unacceptable."

Hahaha what a chump....  I would love to have been a fly on the wall listening to his "conversations" .....
"We've convinced the feebs in Australia and US that they have to have a closed shop super league... and they all seem very excited about the whole thing... of course it will work in Europe we just have to throw more money at it" 
Buggalugs the Third
Buggalugs the Third
Hardcore Fan

More trouble from the Ethnics

Bloody Eurosnobs don't recognise a good comp when they see it

Edited
3 Years Ago by Buggalugs the Third
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

tsf - 22 Apr 2021 1:30 PM
The govt spent 100s of millions on the AFL - building stadiums to get the game to where it is. They could throw us a friggen bone to launch a unified comp,.

Frustrating isn't it?

Governments spend heaps of money on a sport with no relevance outside Australia.

I would have thought after the inception of the A L 16 years ago, and definitely for the subsequent 3-5 years, that football would've been a much bigger sport in Aus that it currently has in 2021.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Decentric 2
Buggalugs the Third
Buggalugs the Third
Hardcore Fan

Alex Ferguson

"the real reason for football is that the smallest guy can climb to the top of Everest... we can't do without that".

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

World football?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search