WCQ Playoff: UAE vs Socceroos | 7 June 2022

WCQ Playoff: UAE vs Socceroos | 7 June 2022

Author
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Trouble is there's so much more to being a winger these days especially in a team like ours in international games of this importance/pressure.

Ie. defending and covering your fullback intelligently.

It's why I would choose Goodwin over Mabil or Leckie over both in this game
Edited
2 Years Ago by Davide82
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

An an example...

Tilio is by far the better ball player but who would you trust to do his defensive duties, know when to stick or go and not leave the fullback in the lurch in a massive game?

Leckie or Tilio?

first rule of a knockout game is don't lose. 
Booney
Booney
Amateur
Amateur (679 reputation)Amateur (679 reputation)Amateur (679 reputation)Amateur (679 reputation)Amateur (679 reputation)Amateur (679 reputation)Amateur (679 reputation)Amateur (679 reputation)Amateur (679 reputation)Amateur (679 reputation)Amateur (679 reputation)

Decentric 2 - 8 Jun 2022 11:46 PM
In  the first half in particular, the Socceroos played a fairly languid Squeeze. There was little evidence of a Full Press - more of a Three Quarter Press. There wasn't an aggressive Squeeze to disturb build ups high up the pitch either.

It seems Arnie wanted to maintain a compact  defensive shape at all costs - in the first half. He played safe. However, when Atkinson was a little advanced, given there was often only one DM sitting, Mooy, he wasn't mobile enough to cover both full backs as they advanced up the pitch a bit, simultaneously.

At time Irvine tracked back to make a Midfield Defensive Triangle manifestation of the 1-4-3-3, but I'd surmise, he spent more of  his time in the Attacking Midfield Triangle playing as a second number Ten. This enabled him to spore that critical first goal as the trailing midfielder. 

Both UAE wingers were too quick to give head starts in our Defensive Transitions and when UAE attacked on the break.

All in all though the second half was the best we've played for some time. Players, and Arnie, claimed it was due to more time in camp - and Arnie being able to coach Covid 19 free.

Arnie also claims the Right Back issue, is a collective one and he will be able to rectify it on  the training track. He claimed having time in camp, and last week's Jordan friendly, have been invaluable preparation. Wright was too slow over the turf to deal with the UAE pacy left winger if Atkinson  was far too forwards when we  lost the ball.

Another phenomenon,  (not having watched much A L this season), was how fast Kye Rowles has improved in recent times. It was only a few years ago he was an average Aussie Under 16/17 CB. Once he was unlucky to concede a foul against UAE with a well timed sliding tackle close the the pen box, which I thought was legit, but he tackled off the wrong foot.

Imagine 4 years ago, anyone suggesting Rowles would be playing this game and not Daniel Arzani!

I am biased being a CCM fan but Rowles is one of the most improved players in the  A-League.He had a tough couple of years when CCM really struggled and in reality were a NPL standard team but with Stajcic ad Monty at the helm his improvement and decision making have come on tremendously.Could be a Socceroos captain one day.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Enzo Bearzot - 9 Jun 2022 8:01 AM
Decentric 2 - 9 Jun 2022 12:30 AM

Whilst quick in a straight line, he's not agile.  As a full back, he'd be easily put off balance and beaten by tricky skilled wingers. Other than Cahill, I can't think of any Australian player that had a good scoring rate. Kewell averaged 1 in 3 and Viduka 1 in 4.

Josh Kennedy and John Aloisi both had close to 1 goal scored  for every 2 games they played. 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

LFC. - 9 Jun 2022 11:30 AM
Roar in me Blood - 8 Jun 2022 9:31 PM

RIMB, just to touch on in bold.
Your position is your specialty no matter the diff of tactics - I can't cop that.
People keep saying that about one of the best attacking backs in the game TAA, his flaw is his defense in your own half but every single player has to adapt and improve their game.
Atkinson was owned front on 1v1 and was left for dead, his recovery was pretty meek where as I've seen TAA run his arse off to recover his error and he's no sprinter and other times its over red rover a goal has eventuated or assist.
Might I add re our Roo games, how many times are we dominating so our wing backs "per say" can play their game ?
Against the minnows of minnows not decent NT opponents.
More like Atkinson needs to improve his overall game period.
By the way, I can't recall the time I've been "confident" of a win from our guys barring those exceptions that don't mean much.

I accept your point if there is a complete player who can attack and defend better than Atkinson waiting for the call up (and there may well be).

My point was that if the manager says "don't make a forward run" to a player who is able to balance out a good opponent somewhat by sometimes putting them on their backfoot with a dangerous run then he needs to be selecting a right back who is concrete and fast in defence and not choose a player who has good defence and better attacking capability.

Some players will fit a manager's game plan better than others, and in a national squad with a manager who makes some really crap decisions about the playing roster and the style of play we need to have players who can get the best out of those crappy instructions.

Arnie sets our team up for constant attacks against us and gambles on us holding out - where another manager might recognise that attacking back fast does a lot to stop your opponent pushing forward all the time.

For Atkinson specifically, yes he got bossed against UAE - but he can and has played much better against ALM opponents who are roughly equally skilled and speedy as the UAE guy turning him into a traffic cone. It might be that he was isolated against UAE where for City he was a member of a strong and functional unit. Maybe experience will lift him, maybe exposure will lift him, maybe he won't ever attain the big stage mentality. I just think it too early to write him off on the UAE performance.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Barca4Life - 9 Jun 2022 7:47 AM
quickflick - 9 Jun 2022 12:43 AM

I have a feeling it will be a close game, let's just say that.

I also reckon it'll be close.

I simply mean that it's probably complacent, not to mention somewhat disrespectful, to think "scared of Colombia, but not much to fear from Peru".

That kind of thinking reminds me a bit of the way many of the Uruguayans viewed us in 2005. I think that we should have just as much respect for Peru as we would for Colombia.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

quickflick - 10 Jun 2022 12:01 AM
Barca4Life - 9 Jun 2022 7:47 AM

I also reckon it'll be close.

I simply mean that it's probably complacent, not to mention somewhat disrespectful, to think "scared of Colombia, but not much to fear from Peru".

That kind of thinking reminds me a bit of the way many of the Uruguayans viewed us in 2005. I think that we should have just as much respect for Peru as we would for Colombia.

They dont even have the same quality from 4 years ago with the likes of Pizzaro and Farfan not involved anymore.

It will come down to a few small details within the game but they are beatable as some won't believe.

But no doubt the respect is there.
Edited
2 Years Ago by Barca4Life
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 9 Jun 2022 2:03 PM
Enzo Bearzot - 9 Jun 2022 8:01 AM

Josh Kennedy and John Aloisi both had close to 1 goal scored  for every 2 games they played. 

Kennedy was prolific at NT level and never got the oceanic boost the other boys did. I forgot how good he was considering the guys around him. Only aussie to win bundesliga player of the month also.
llugguss
llugguss
Under 7s
Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)

Another important difference between this playoff and the previous playoffs is the format. I learned on zumroad.com that the game is still played between the third-place teams in Asian Groups A and B, but it's not a home-and-away epic of the past but a one-off game. There is good news for soccer coach Graham Arnold, as Coomans does not consider the June heat a major factor at Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium. I was there not too long ago. It will be 17-18 degrees on the field, which is very comfortable. The downside for Australia is that they would have fans at home cheering them on.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search