Roar coach laments visa-player missteps [Comments]

Roar coach laments visa-player missteps [Comments]

Author
Inside Sport Bot
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

"They're not playing [reference to our visa players] and I'm putting the kids out because as much as we brought them in with high hopes it just hasn't worked out"

"Say what you like, we had 23 shots to three, we had territory and possession and in control of the game.
We've come away with a 2-0 loss and we don't even score a goal. It's clear where we need to improve and where we need to focus our recruitment."

To me that covers my concerns.

It explains why he has fielded the youth players at the end of the season, accepts that our visa DM and strikers were not good selections, and clearly states goal scoring is our greatest weakness.

Not just saying what we want to hear in my opinion and that is promising. I am hopeful, as always, that the off-season will see us completing a great team again.

I saw the comment about Wada not being given an opportunity in the Orange Army thread and I accept that - but I think Wada was brought in with the expectation of slotting in and just finishing off some of those opportunities rather than having the side rebuild around his needs like we might in a full pre-season.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Edited
2 Years Ago by Roar in me Blood
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 5 May 2022 8:40 AM
"They're not playing [reference to our visa players] and I'm putting the kids out because as much as we brought them in with high hopes it just hasn't worked out"

"Say what you like, we had 23 shots to three, we had territory and possession and in control of the game.
We've come away with a 2-0 loss and we don't even score a goal. It's clear where we need to improve and where we need to focus our recruitment."

To me that covers my concerns.

It explains why he has fielded the youth players at the end of the season, accepts that our visa DM and strikers were not good selections, and clearly states goal scoring is our greatest weakness.

Not just saying what we want to hear in my opinion and that is promising. I am hopeful, as always, that the off-season will see us completing a great team again.

I saw the comment about Wada not being given an opportunity in the Orange Army thread and I accept that - but I think Wada was brought in with the expectation of slotting in and just finishing off some of those opportunities rather than having the side rebuild around his needs like we might in a full pre-season.

We let DWH go, just as he was hitting his straps, and bring in a complete Muppet as a replacement (Lescano). Ivanovic & Miluesnic have looked good, but have been unlucky with injury. Chapman looks good as our starting CDM next season. The young lads have done well since Moon's given them a chance. We had Maclaren & Taggart previously - we need a striker of that standard, who can score 15+ goals in a season. 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

SoccerooFan - 5 May 2022 2:57 PM
Roar in me Blood - 5 May 2022 8:40 AM

We let DWH go, just as he was hitting his straps, and bring in a complete Muppet as a replacement (Lescano). Ivanovic & Miluesnic have looked good, but have been unlucky with injury. Chapman looks good as our starting CDM next season. The young lads have done well since Moon's given them a chance. We had Maclaren & Taggart previously - we need a striker of that standard, who can score 15+ goals in a season. 

Geez dwh leaving was such a mistake as a fan of football I hate seeing it. Hasn’t even started at western why make the move 
jasongenova
jasongenova
Hacker
Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)

Well this is what happens when you rely on Instat Index to sign players, and dont go through the proper scouting process.
Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

He's just saying what everyone else already knew. Saying that players who weren't performing haven't performed is easy. 
It's much harder to actually identify and sign players who will perform. Can Moon do it? Really unsure and kind of doubtful, as his ratio of successes to failures is not good. 
Us fans will never know who to blame through. There will always be a sense that the owners aren't investing, so it could always be that. Or, the coach could simply not be up to it. Is it one or the other? Or both?
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

jasongenova - 5 May 2022 10:40 PM
Well this is what happens when you rely on Instat Index to sign players, and dont go through the proper scouting process.

unfortunatley moon did go through the proper scouting process with lescano. Moon tried to sign him for last season but was knocked back by a weird russian transfer rule, so he spent a whole season watching lescano play for his russian side and still went yep lets sign him. 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

sirhcdobo - 6 May 2022 9:04 AM

unfortunatley moon did go through the proper scouting process with lescano. Moon tried to sign him for last season but was knocked back by a weird russian transfer rule, so he spent a whole season watching lescano play for his russian side and still went yep lets sign him. 

I have wondered with Moon if he saw undiscovered potential in Lescano and, like he did with many young players, thought he could realise the potential that others had not been able to.

It makes sense of the signing - a larger framed striker with South American ball skills and the ability to convert opportunities would have been ideal for a team that created and wasted opportunities regularly.

Lescano's injury during pre-season and beyond may have killed that opportunity to bring out his qualities for us but for whatever reasons we all saw the gamble did not pay off this time.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Soccerwhos podcast said roar should go for arzani
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 6 May 2022 11:13 AM
Soccerwhos podcast said roar should go for arzani

Tipping one of the Sydney clubs might take a punt on him. I'd love for the Roar to go for him & or Piscapo
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

SoccerooFan - 6 May 2022 11:45 AM
Melbcityguy - 6 May 2022 11:13 AM

Tipping one of the Sydney clubs might take a punt on him. I'd love for the Roar to go for him & or Piscapo

Either would fill the left wing/attacker role for us really well. Then we only need our 15+ striker and quality DM and we are already set for next season.

jasongenova
jasongenova
Hacker
Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)

There was an article regarding the use of data and scouting in transfers for the A league, Moon was quoted in saying that he saw Lescano's Instat Index and thats how he made a decision on signing him, maybe that meant thats why he began scouting him. 

In any case Instat Index is something that should be taken with a grain of salt, A league clubs need to invest more in advanced analytics when it comes to recruitment. 

the smart thing to do would be to sign foreign players in that 23-25 age bracket (ala Daniel Penha) and to minimum 2-3 year deals in the hope they can be sold for a transfer fee, that money can then be reinvested. But for some reason we only have this rhetoric when it comes to local players.
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

jasongenova - 6 May 2022 8:49 PM

There was an article regarding the use of data and scouting in transfers for the A league, Moon was quoted in saying that he saw Lescano's Instat Index and thats how he made a decision on signing him, maybe that meant thats why he began scouting him. 

In any case Instat Index is something that should be taken with a grain of salt, A league clubs need to invest more in advanced analytics when it comes to recruitment. 

the smart thing to do would be to sign foreign players in that 23-25 age bracket (ala Daniel Penha) and to minimum 2-3 year deals in the hope they can be sold for a transfer fee, that money can then be reinvested. But for some reason we only have this rhetoric when it comes to local players.

Well said jaso

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

ctrl
ctrl
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

jasongenova - 6 May 2022 8:49 PM

Agree with this, although Penha has been on loan. Jets did sign Mikeltadze, only 24, to a 2-year deal. Basically, those two names make me excited to see what Papas can pull off next season. (Remembering, we still have no owner, so other clubs should be able to do similar.) Coasties with Moresche and Nklolo have been decent punts too. 
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

What is it they say about a poor tradesman blaming his tools.
Essentially, the players who were here pre-Moon have performed, while those he signed have not. But it doesn’t look like he’s taking any responsibility for that.
I would have thought that Moon’s job is to get the players he’s signed performing at their best. 
Shows how the bar has been lowered when a Roar coach can take the team from 4th to 11th and his job is perfectly safe. 
The standard you accept is the standard you get.

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)

Is Corey Brown still at the club? Has not played for ages
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

notarobot - 9 May 2022 7:50 AM

He had a bad hamstring injury, went through recovery, then hurt his quad in his final week of training before returning.

I may have the wrong injuries listed but they were both leg injuries and one after another.

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

clockwork orange - 8 May 2022 10:46 PM
What is it they say about a poor tradesman blaming his tools.
Essentially, the players who were here pre-Moon have performed, while those he signed have not. But it doesn’t look like he’s taking any responsibility for that.
I would have thought that Moon’s job is to get the players he’s signed performing at their best. 
Shows how the bar has been lowered when a Roar coach can take the team from 4th to 11th and his job is perfectly safe. 
The standard you accept is the standard you get.

Nailed it, Moon is a joke and should have gone before seasons end, do you remember the game against WSW and Roar won a penalty late in the  game and the "Coach" couldn't watch it, had to go to the tunnel....... I mean what the hell, thats some fan type of behaviour, he's a coach, act like one. But its not like the penalty was going to make us go top, it was to equalise to another bottom dwelling team and there is no relegation. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

He should never have been allowed back after going to Victory and then getting dumped, came crawling back to Roar and they were happy to take him, another showing of how Roar have fallen. 

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

MrBrisbane - 9 May 2022 9:51 AM

He should never have been allowed back after going to Victory and then getting dumped, came crawling back to Roar and they were happy to take him, another showing of how Roar have fallen. 

I think you are missing how good he actually became with us again.

Corey was a really effective left wing attacker and a good crosser of balls. His defending suffered at times when he was so far forward, but he got fitter and better at getting back as time went on. Before his injuries we could count on him to create down the left consistently and take his part in defence and he was one of our best players.

You do him a disservice if you say he was just a fair player in a crap team too.

He was playing really well and we went downhill without him.

RyanM
RyanM
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Steinmann was a great player at the NIx, I don't know what's going on with other teams signing Nix players who are performing well and them flopping.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

RyanM - 11 May 2022 7:36 PM
Steinmann was a great player at the NIx, I don't know what's going on with other teams signing Nix players who are performing well and them flopping.

Interesting point.

Nix play a very physical defensive press as I see it. They stop their opposition building creatively and force them into quick plays.

With Roar, Steinmann was expected to play more of a solo role between the defence and the attack. Defensively he consistently got a foot in to disrupt play showing quite extraordinary timing (or bloody big feet), and he was an effective passer to a standing player. When he was called on to make attacking passes to a running player his accuracy was not as good - often either giving the ball away or putting the ball too far ahead or behind the runner. For the Nix, maybe they had closer runners and/or the players he passed to were the ones to create the opportunity (Davila, Piscopo, and so on) rather than him being expected to. Also, with him functioning more as one part of the defensive setup rather than the solo transitioning player the load could be spread across a number of players including Rufer.

Steinmann is also a year older than he was and we have seen with our reliable DM Kristensen that once the edge has gone on speed due to age it is a very steep downhill run.

For Davila - it is just a case of a player fitting perfectly in a team setup where they are all playing the same style of football and all on the same page - complementing each other. His new coach has him playing in a team with a very different mindset and he is being expected (by his coach) to function at the same level but no longer as part of a complete unit and with perhaps half the team on a safety first defensive mindset. I think Davila would have fitted into Melbourne City's playing style better and continued to shine.

Talay use his players exceptionally well and I think he is quite brilliant at working out how they fit together. His really good players are able to perform exceptionally well because of that skill/ability. Put them in a 'strange' group with a different system and you have saltwater fish swimming in fresh water to some extent.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search