SFC vs MV - 7th May @ 7:45pm

SFC vs MV - 7th May @ 7:45pm

Author
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Sydney FC vs Melbourne Victory
Saturday 7th May 2022
Kick-off: 7:45pm
Venue: Nestrata Jubilee Stadium
Ref: Alex King
Broadcast: Paramount+ / 10

A must win for MV to have any chance of winning the premiership. (If MC lose on Monday) a draw would see them on equal points with MC, however MC have too strong of a GD so they would need to lose by 8 for MV to go to the top. In that scenario, a win for WU would see them leapfrog both MV and MC.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

This better be Corica’s last match in charge. Fuckin woeful so far.
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

MV looking like best team in league atm
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Ryan Grant is a filthy hack. Twice through the back of players hard then the trip and bump on D'Aggers that actually injured him.

No card despite repeated offences and not even a free kick for the trip and bump that looks to have dislocated D'Aggers shoulder.

Been a great game to watch other than the frustration of that. D'Aggers goal was earned and executed magnificently. ALF's goal was just skill and class. Geria's header strength in a crowd, and Brimmer's free kick brilliant.

Some of the best football on display by both sides at times, and glad that Victory are dominating both the play and the scoreboard.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

How was that not a red? 

That’s a world class goal from daggers 

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Although it was state league defending lol 
tsf
tsf
Legend

Dagsotino is aus best striker atm imo

tjw only one that makes goals out of nothing. The rest take 1 of every ten chances 
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

This is the first I’ve seen of Amini since he returned. How’s he been playing? Seems not that long ago that he was a fringe Socceroo. Was that a case of “Europe means he’s better”??
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Good win for Victory, but they lost the focus needed to continue with accurate crisp passes through most of the second half. Cheap turnovers gave SFC a look in that they did not really deserve with more attention to passing to a team mate instead of just towards a teammate required.

Yazbek for SFC strikes me as a Ryan Grant disciple - often puts a bit of dirty in his challenges and given a yellow for it while Grant once again avoided a card.

Ikonomidis looks to be a waste of space these days. Watching what he stuffs up over many games he is one of those players I feel is an indication of a coach giving up a game as too hard when he comes on.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

ctrl
ctrl
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

tsf - 7 May 2022 9:03 PM
Dagsotino is aus best striker atm imo

tjw only one that makes goals out of nothing. The rest take 1 of every ten chances 

That's a bit scary. But yeah, he's stepped up a lot and scored some great goals out of nothing. I reckon Cummings has just as much x-factor and better link-up play, as shown by his assists tally (5 to Daggers' 0). 
tsf
tsf
Legend

ctrl - 7 May 2022 10:13 PM
tsf - 7 May 2022 9:03 PM

That's a bit scary. But yeah, he's stepped up a lot and scored some great goals out of nothing. I reckon Cummings has just as much x-factor and better link-up play, as shown by his assists tally (5 to Daggers' 0). 

Why not have both :)

with our players being largely useless at scoring or setting up players to score, someone like daggers who makes something by himself could be quite useful 

SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

tsf - 7 May 2022 8:49 PM
Although it was state league defending lol 

It was a few steps beneath that.
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 7 May 2022 9:47 PM
Good win for Victory, but they lost the focus needed to continue with accurate crisp passes through most of the second half. Cheap turnovers gave SFC a look in that they did not really deserve with more attention to passing to a team mate instead of just towards a teammate required.

Yazbek for SFC strikes me as a Ryan Grant disciple - often puts a bit of dirty in his challenges and given a yellow for it while Grant once again avoided a card.

Ikonomidis looks to be a waste of space these days. Watching what he stuffs up over many games he is one of those players I feel is an indication of a coach giving up a game as too hard when he comes on.

Ikon has never been the sameness since that last injury. 
notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)

Change needed at Sydney,one player manager has the coach and 7 players on his books , same thing happened at the Mariners when Mulvey was coach , look how that ended.
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

tsf - 7 May 2022 8:48 PM
How was that not a red? 

That’s a world class goal from daggers 

Some nice jinking around the defenders & ball control as well.  Even I golf clapped that one. 

That goal from the set piece that Reddy let in was pathetic. It was at least a metre inside the post & he was positioned in the middle, didn't even move & the free kick didn't have any curve, dip, spin or any significant amount of power on it.  

This season has been shithouse, the players have been shithouse, the recruitment has been shithouse & the coaching has been as well.   

Apparently they're doing a "review" at the end of the season, I can't imagine the administration & board would be happy.  
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Agreed.
The free kick was ok but really nothing that special.
A bit of dip at the end but Redmayne didn't even look like he cared.

Taking nothing away from Victory though they look dangerous.

victory CCM and us are the 3 in form teams but Victory have the greater quality across the squad
Edited
2 Years Ago by Davide82
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 9 May 2022 9:23 AM
tsf - 7 May 2022 8:48 PM

Some nice jinking around the defenders & ball control as well.  Even I golf clapped that one. 

That goal from the set piece that Reddy let in was pathetic. It was at least a metre inside the post & he was positioned in the middle, didn't even move & the free kick didn't have any curve, dip, spin or any significant amount of power on it.  

This season has been shithouse, the players have been shithouse, the recruitment has been shithouse & the coaching has been as well.   

Apparently they're doing a "review" at the end of the season, I can't imagine the administration & board would be happy.  

EZ if the admin/board hasn't seen this season coming the last couple of seasons they are just as useless..........
Many positive changes should have been made 2seasons back, changing of the gaurd, promote blood in some from the NPL squad and Corica should have been punted last season, his continous defensive tactics and the same same every single game is just covering up the issues on the park.

Love Football

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

LFC. - 9 May 2022 10:50 AM
ErogenousZone - 9 May 2022 9:23 AM

EZ if the admin/board hasn't seen this season coming the last couple of seasons they are just as useless..........
Many positive changes should have been made 2seasons back, changing of the gaurd, promote blood in some from the NPL squad and Corica should have been punted last season, his continous defensive tactics and the same same every single game is just covering up the issues on the park.

Hard to justify punting a coach that finished 2nd in both the regular season and the finals series. Now though, he'll definitely be on notice. He won't get another full season to 'rebuild'. At a club like SFC if there is not a significant improvement by midway through next season, he'll be gone. I hope he is able to learn from this season and make the required changes. As a MV fan, part of me enjoys seeing SFC fail, but it's never good to see and Aussie coach fail.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

someguyjc - 9 May 2022 11:29 AM
LFC. - 9 May 2022 10:50 AM

Hard to justify punting a coach that finished 2nd in both the regular season and the finals series. Now though, he'll definitely be on notice. He won't get another full season to 'rebuild'. At a club like SFC if there is not a significant improvement by midway through next season, he'll be gone. I hope he is able to learn from this season and make the required changes. As a MV fan, part of me enjoys seeing SFC fail, but it's never good to see and Aussie coach fail.

agree and disagree sgjc, they have been on the decline despite their previous season, its not hard seeing that as a supporter surely the powers above were watching as well.
Your only good as your opponents right, when you have like your MV struggling as they had for 3 seasons, plus WSW struggling plus a covid dis rupted season or 2 things played into their hands right. Corica has NOT improved the state of SFC play, we all can see its the past GA blueprint no more no less.
Other Clubs were struggling and who of any of them rose unexpectly as a contender last season for eg, CCM no disrespect to them for they made for good viewing last season but the usual suspects were MIA which is not good for the league per say but it gives/gave Corica space.
If your in the admin/board surely your seeing this over the last couple of years whats dished up on the park instead of sitting and milking it, complacency.

What do you mean being an aussie coach and failure, thats his job, and he's not good enough thats competition/sport.

Love Football

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Sydney need a massive rebuild, whether Corica should part of it or not will be interesting however he does have runs on the board from 3 previous grand final appearances so I can see him staying on and building a new squad.

They just announced youngster (17) Adrian Segecic on a 3 year deal, so they already trying to learn from the mistakes of Tilio by trying to keep their best young players but clearly they need alot more.
Daniel Pehna also linked to the club too.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Barca4Life - 9 May 2022 5:32 PM
Sydney need a massive rebuild, whether Corica should part of it or not will be interesting however he does have runs on the board from 3 previous grand final appearances so I can see him staying on and building a new squad.

They just announced youngster (17) Adrian Segecic on a 3 year deal, so they already trying to learn from the mistakes of Tilio by trying to keep their best young players but clearly they need alot more.
Daniel Pehna also linked to the club too.

I'll be shocked if he's not in charge next season. On paper he has done more than enough to warrant another shot, although I believe, in reality, the club has succeeded in spite of him rather than because of him. We have played pragmatic, dire football since 2018 and despite the silverware I'd wager many Sydney fans wanted him to move on even before this shitshow of a season. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

sydneyfc1987 - 9 May 2022 6:21 PM
Barca4Life - 9 May 2022 5:32 PM

I'll be shocked if he's not in charge next season. On paper he has done more than enough to warrant another shot, although I believe, in reality, the club has succeeded in spite of him rather than because of him. We have played pragmatic, dire football since 2018 and despite the silverware I'd wager many Sydney fans wanted him to move on even before this shitshow of a season. 

cough cough BR result last night.
This season
11 loss's
-7 GD to MC's 22.
18points down from 1st place.
Tell me any other league retains a coach.
In the NPL this season here SU58 sacked their coach just 10 games in, 6 loss's for eg.
Look whats happenned in the known big leagues like the EPL, what 9 odd managers gone this season.
Like I've said earlier, Barlow and the rest have been complacent taking the spoils but surely they have seen the decline week in week out.
Finally its burst, legend or not he must go imo.

Love Football

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

LFC. - 11 May 2022 8:54 AM
sydneyfc1987 - 9 May 2022 6:21 PM

cough cough BR result last night.
This season
11 loss's
-7 GD to MC's 22.
18points down from 1st place.
Tell me any other league retains a coach.
In the NPL this season here SU58 sacked their coach just 10 games in, 6 loss's for eg.
Look whats happenned in the known big leagues like the EPL, what 9 odd managers gone this season.
Like I've said earlier, Barlow and the rest have been complacent taking the spoils but surely they have seen the decline week in week out.
Finally its burst, legend or not he must go imo.

Does Sydney FC have a TD or director of football? Someone should be monitoring the results and performances regardless of who is in charge. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

I'm not sure re TD but they have/had :

Sydney FC Head Coach Steve Corica has made a number of new appointments to his football department following some off-season departures July 2018.

Head of High Performance Andrew Clark leaves the club after four fantastic seasons and is replaced by highly qualified sports scientist Chris Pappas.

Pappas has worked alongside Clark and the Sky Blues players over recent seasons and is well versed in the performance attributes of the squad.

I don't see anywhere a mention of TD, maybe Head of High Performance is ?

Another note re the decline, Pignata, the success he developed as Director of Football left end of 2017 season.

Love Football

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

LFC. - 11 May 2022 9:54 AM
I'm not sure re TD but they have/had :

Sydney FC Head Coach Steve Corica has made a number of new appointments to his football department following some off-season departures July 2018.

Head of High Performance Andrew Clark leaves the club after four fantastic seasons and is replaced by highly qualified sports scientist Chris Pappas.

Pappas has worked alongside Clark and the Sky Blues players over recent seasons and is well versed in the performance attributes of the squad.

I don't see anywhere a mention of TD, maybe Head of High Performance is ?

Another note re the decline, Pignata, the success he developed as Director of Football left end of 2017 season.

It just makes it more questionable with regards to the process(and im sure Sydney FC aren't the only club that probably does this too), any club should be having a director of football or TD when it comes to coaching selection otherwise the whole process will become like a vicious circle when the new coach comes in and does its own thing all the time.

Letting the coach have too much autonomy is always a risk especially if results are not great, unless the coach is outstanding of course but otherwise its an outdated method when clubs have director of football who keeps the club's philosophy in tact regardless of who coach is in charge. (especially at the top level in Europe whom have sporting directors that like to work with the head coach).
Edited
2 Years Ago by Barca4Life
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Barca again I know its not apples with apples but as you mention the need for a Director/or TD with good influence and nouse works with the gaffa.....

LFC is the perfect model regards this since Klopps tenure, without the men above working with him the signings and progress would not be happenning last 7yrs.
Michael Edwards is/was Liverpool’s sporting director, working closely with Jurgen Klopp and Mike Gordon to identify new signings and organise contracts.Edwards was promoted in November 2016, having made a huge impression working on the ‘transfer committee’ alongside scouts Barry Hunter and Dave Fallows.Edwards prefers to keep a low profile and does not do interviews, but he has become widely known by fans as a man who is influential in some of Liverpool’s best transfer business.Working as an analyst at Portsmouth and Tottenham previously, Edwards was brought to Liverpool in 2011 by former director of football Damien Comolli.

Comolli did rather well but Edwards was gold unfortunately announcing his departure end of last season in the process his assistant would be transitioning into the role from this season on.
Most important right.

Wonder SFC's situation with the budget they have.
Pignata was a huge loss might I add that no one brings up.

Love Football

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search