full replays of old socceroos matches

full replays of old socceroos matches

Author
Keeper66
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Munrubenmuz - 1 Aug 2022 4:50 PM
Johns - 1 Aug 2022 3:50 PM

Zelic wasn't picked for some match and turned his back on the NT never to play again. Weak as piss.

I loved him as a player and then he went and did that robbing Australia of his talents like a spoilt, petulant child.

Yep, he and Farina didn't see eye to eye and when he wasn't picked for a match in 1999, he spat the dummy and never played again for the national team.

I agree, weak as piss and I never viewed him the same after that either.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

One thing being overlooked here is the virtual carpets the teams play on now compared to the shitshow of pitches they used to play on even in the 90's.

I play on synthetic pitches, on a carpet like grass surfaces and on shit pitches. The difference in quality of play is directly related to the quality of the pitch.

The pitch isn't 100% responsible but it's a big factor.

Also Schwarzer used to shit me by lumping it upfield every time he had it. Yes he grew up under the old rules but plenty of other keepers adjusted their games and, if not played the ball out with their feet, they'd at least roll it to a defender. He never did.

Member since 2008.

Edited
2 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 1 Aug 2022 5:20 PM
One thing being overlooked here is the virtual carpets the teams play on now compared to the shitshow of pitches they used to play on even in the 90's.

I play on synthetic pitches, on a carpet like grass surfaces and on shit pitches. The difference in quality of play is directly related to the quality of the pitch.

The pitch isn't 100% responsible but it's a big factor.

True.

The quality of the pitch is a big factor to the quality of play with football played on the deck. Usually, the current pitches are better.

There are different  modes of play that have been introduced into the modern game to achieve patient build ups through midfield, that didn't  previously exist though.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 1 Aug 2022 4:50 PM
Johns - 1 Aug 2022 3:50 PM

Zelic wasn't picked for some match and turned his back on the NT never to play again. Weak as piss.

I loved him as a player and then he went and did that robbing Australia of his talents like a spoilt, petulant child.

I remember that game. According to Zelic,  coach Frank Farina had told him he was going to be captain for one game. Then Frank changed his mind, resulting in Zelic refusing to play for the Socceroos in that game - or any other after it.

I read somewhere that it was a great regret of FF. That he should have tried harder to talk Zelic into playing for the Socceroos in his coaching tenure after the dummy spit over captaincy. 

I think Okon may have been captain at the time. There was a fair bit of rivalry between them, probably initiated by Zelic. Possibly, over playing a similar Socceroo role.
Edited
2 Years Ago by Decentric 2
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Keeper66 - 1 Aug 2022 4:53 PM
Decentric 2 - 1 Aug 2022 4:23 PM

That's the point LFC is trying to make, you can't effectively compare eras because of how the game changes, in this particular case a very significant change. Of course Bosnich and Schwarzer could not play the current style effectively, they didn't have the opportunity to develop those skills in their formative years to the extent expected today.

cheers bud he did miss the point ! glad someone else gets it.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Re Farina followed by Ned.

Admittedly he got the position at a very tuff time, admin went through CEO's like water and admin the same - this didn't suit especially his type of personality and rawness.
I didn't blame Ned blowing his stack just 2games into quali, he was pretty much at his peak and for me a must have always playing for he was damn good.
Franks ego got the better of him, he screwed that relationship period for me, Ned at the same time prob regrets his actions but thats different blokes for different strokes. I don't hold much against him but a grave loss for the Roos that I'm sure he regrets.
Took 5yrs before he came back in the fold a real loss that imo, a better quality man manager would have corrected the divide..

Love Football

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 1 Aug 2022 4:23 PM

That's the point LFC is trying to make, you can't effectively compare eras because of how the game changes, in this particular case a very significant change. Of course Bosnich and Schwarzer could not play the current style effectively, they didn't have the opportunity to develop those skills in their formative years to the extent expected today.
Agreed 100% and not just about not having the opportunity to develop those skills, it wasn't expected of them nor required. Do you remember Higuitta and Chilavert first making a name for themselves in 90s and the discussion wasn't so much about their ball control and distribution along the deck but "What the fark is a goalie doing out of the box"?
Same applies, in my opinion, to pretty much every position on the pitch... I wonder how horrible so many past legends of the game would look under the prism of "semi-pro trained coach" criticism? Football, like every other facet of society has changed and comparing past methodology to present is counter productive... For example a 1950s Mustang didnt have disc brakes, power steering, seat belts or an air-bag but I still think it outperforms a Holden Barina?

Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

LFC. - 2 Aug 2022 8:29 AM

cheers bud he did miss the point ! glad someone else gets it.

I did take the point. I probably didn't  acknowledge it though.

I am a bit cross with both keepers, Schwarzer and Bozza, who have pontificated ad infinitum about what is wrong with Aus football, when they have demonstrated virtually no knowledge of how it has changed for the better. That is, because they haven't studied it.

I wish they had followed the lead of some of their peers, who've undertaken coaching pursuits to assist the development of Aussie footballers.
Edited
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 2 Aug 2022 11:51 AM
Agreed 100% and not just about not having the opportunity to develop those skills, it wasn't expected of them nor required. Do you remember Higuitta and Chilavert first making a name for themselves in 90s and the discussion wasn't so much about their ball control and distribution along the deck but "What the fark is a goalie doing out of the box"?
Same applies, in my opinion, to pretty much every position on the pitch... I wonder how horrible so many past legends of the game would look under the prism of "semi-pro trained coach" criticism? Football, like every other facet of society has changed and comparing past methodology to present is counter productive... For example a 1950s Mustang didnt have disc brakes, power steering, seat belts or an air-bag but I still think it outperforms a Holden Barina?

It depends on the context.

We have constantly been inundated with how terrific some former eras are, and how so much is wrong with the modern version of the game in Australia, by a number of players playing in those eras. They haven't  acknowledged what has improved and changed for the better, or/and, what has improved within the skill set of their own positions. 

Watching these games back as far as 1993, has  been pleasantly surprising to  see so players playing in their prime in past eras. Instead we often remember players' performances at the end of their careers.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

In 1993, John Constantine, was interviewed at the Argentina/Socceroos game in Sydney. He stated  that Australia was likely to be playing a WCQ campaign though Asia in  the next campaign for the World Cup in France.

It took another 11-12 years to be admitted into Asia after that time!
Edited
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Decentric 2 - 2 Aug 2022 2:39 PM
LFC. - 2 Aug 2022 8:29 AM

I did take the point. I probably didn't  acknowledge it though.

I am a bit cross with both keepers, Schwarzer and Bozza, who have pontificated ad infinitum about what is wrong with Aus football, when they have demonstrated virtually no knowledge of how it has changed for the better. That is, because they haven't studied it.

I wish they had followed the lead of some of their peers, who've undertaken coaching pursuits to assist the development of Aussie footballers.

D2, ah I could read the negativity towards these 2 very good keepers in their time.
What you need to see also is that not every single retired player has the coaching background knowledge of your expectations, for some the only gig after playing is pundantry, some lack putting 2 sentences together, the employer tries to mix personalities so as general viewers don't get "bored" - like Harper for eg listenning to him all game would send you batty, hang on he does to many whereas listenning to SHill is a different experience and understanding.
Mind you during games its not about talking of the Australian football problems.
Bozza is a goose but MW isn't imo nor do I expect him to address so many issues behind our game.
He has been involved in many discussions with fellow GG if you have Optus Sport over the last 5yrs or so FYI.
How do you know what they have done or not by the way behind the scenes ?
In saying that I'm sure they both have seen plenty of "stats" heard countless "theories" of the past to present.
So they are not like their other peers and thankgoodness for it takes all types.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Decentric 2 - 2 Aug 2022 2:47 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 2 Aug 2022 11:51 AM

It depends on the context.

We have constantly been inundated with how terrific some former eras are, and how so much is wrong with the modern version of the game in Australia, by a number of players playing in those eras. They haven't  acknowledged what has improved and changed for the better, or/and, what has improved within the skill set of their own positions. 

Watching these games back as far as 1993, has  been pleasantly surprising to  see so players playing in their prime in past eras. Instead we often remember players' performances at the end of their careers.

So, with all this modern day improvement look where we are - NO player in top leagues, not 1, forget Volpato he's a kid and benchy but not 1 player in a top league. (I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone if I'm wrong happy to be)
Another point I like to say about the "past" and to the younger ones reading, as far as I'm concerned I used to marvel at Craig Johnstone playing at LFC back then, followed by so many of our GG aussies, don't care what you think, EPL known as Div1 before was still the ducks guts, it may have been hoof to some but the quality was for all to see - some of the players are Legendary. Its was top just as its now but different style of play.
Now you guys are drawn by the SPL and we all know why but really no one gave it the time of day barring the Derbies, ironic its still the same go figure.
I'm sick of hearing about the competition for places and the emergence of Afrikans etc around the GG times - after 17yrs of PRO Football where is 1 AL Jnr player that broke into a top flight Club and made a career after all this improvement compared to yesteryer ?
Oh hang on they doing ok playing in lower leagues for thats todays BAR ffs.
Thats what its about, thats success for the game here for thats the BAR D2 top flight leagues, not just improving our style of possesion, GKeeping attributes, BPO's etcetc.......
Sure its all and good we farfar more organised/imporved so much - playing out of the back, we have a midfield with no sting, haven't produced 1 decent true striker to this day let alone top silent 9.
Spare me, what we have done or improved immeasurably is made it harder for better opponents breaking us down - park the bus is another modern term used today, we need to pimprove that one yet.
I'm so happy but the catch is, we're still achieving similar results, nail biting games to the end, lost to minnows of minnows just more polished :)

Love Football

Edited
2 Years Ago by LFC.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

LFC. - 2 Aug 2022 3:30 PM

So, with all this modern day improvement look where we are - NO player in top leagues, not 1, forget Volpato he's a kid and benchy but not 1 player in a top league. (I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone if I'm wrong happy to be)
Another point I like to say about the "past" and to the younger ones reading, as far as I'm concerned I used to marvel at Craig Johnstone playing at LFC back then, followed by so many of our GG aussies, don't care what you think, EPL known as Div1 before was still the ducks guts, it may have been hoof to some but the quality was for all to see - some of the players are Legendary. Its was top just as its now but different style of play.
Now you guys are drawn by the SPL and we all know why but really no one gave it the time of day barring the Derbies, ironic its still the same go figure.
I'm sick of hearing about the competition for places and the emergence of Afrikans etc around the GG times - after 17yrs of PRO Football where is 1 AL Jnr player that broke into a top flight Club and made a career after all this improvement compared to yesteryer ?
Thats what its about, thats success for the game here for thats the BAR D2 top flight leagues, not just improving our style of possesion, GKeeping attributes, BPO's etcetc.......
Sure its all and good we farfar more organised/imporved so much - playing out of the back, we have a midfield with no sting, haven't produced 1 decent true striker to this day let alone top silent 9.
Spare me, what we have done or improved immeasurably is made it harder for better opponents breaking us down - park the bus is another modern term used today, we need to pimprove that one yet.
I'm so happy but the catch is, we're still achieving similar results, nail biting games to the end, lost to minnows of minnows just more polished :)

perhaps genreau and mabil are starters in big 5 leagues but will have to wait and see

One point in evidence that football has become more competitive and it is harder to break into the big 5 is comparing the number of players in big 5 leagues from the 5th ranked south american team in 05 compared to 2022. Japan have also arguably gotten better but I think they have less players now in the big 5 compared to 2 decades ago

on the other hand it could really be that we have declined somewhat from our peak despite improving over a recent trough. People who saw the nsl claim its peak in the early-mid 90s is similar quality to the a league today. The number of full time aussie players starting at a league level in the early to mid 90s was then over 150, compared to today with less teams and foreigners taking up starting spots. Today we have less than a 3rd of the players starting at that level. It stands to reason we would produce around a 3rd of players at the top level
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

LFC. - 2 Aug 2022 3:13 PM
Decentric 2 - 2 Aug 2022 2:39 PM

D2, ah I could read the negativity towards these 2 very good keepers in their time.
What you need to see also is that not every single retired player has the coaching background knowledge of your expectations, for some the only gig after playing is pundantry, some lack putting 2 sentences together, the employer tries to mix personalities so as general viewers don't get "bored" - like Harper for eg listenning to him all game would send you batty, hang on he does to many whereas listenning to SHill is a different experience and understanding.
Mind you during games its not about talking of the Australian football problems.
Bozza is a goose but MW isn't imo nor do I expect him to address so many issues behind our game.
He has been involved in many discussions with fellow GG if you have Optus Sport over the last 5yrs or so FYI.
How do you know what they have done or not by the way behind the scenes ?
In saying that I'm sure they both have seen plenty of "stats" heard countless "theories" of the past to present.
So they are not like their other peers and thankgoodness for it takes all types.

It becomes apparent in various interviews what they don't know, particularly as I refer to these wonderful Socceroo videos of games in the early 2000s and throughout the 1990s.

I  don't suggest all former Socceroos   should undergo comprehensive retraining as a coach. However, if they  intend to coach at semi-pro or pro level, or elite youth, they have to be accredited. This wasn't the case before 2006.

In addition, if a pundit is going to pass judgement on his /her peers, and new players, s/he should  keep one's professional knowledge base and  development current. Trends change quickly in football from year to year.

The football world is a small place in Aus. I'm out of the Football Aus coaching loop now, but one hears inside  stories and meets many coaches, including being instructed by renowned coaches in Aus,   when in the loop.

For example, Craig Foster, has absolutely thrived on the  new methodology as a former GG player. He has also been quite modest, harshly critiquing his own skill set as a player.  I'm not sure who or what he is coaching now, but he had the NSW NTC playing  some fabulous football a few years back.

Take your point, that MW is an intelligent man, but whereas Fozzie constantly alludes to changing and innovative  practices he has learnt through his Football Aus C, B  and A Licences, and I know his Football Aus coach educators, the  former Fulham keeper hasn't had many conversations with Fozzie, or has totally ignored, or repudiated,  what has transpired in those conversations.  

Simon Hill is a very intelligent man, but he last hasn't undergone modern coach education. Ditto Andy Harper.

Above I've seen a few  good discussions with Schwarzer and a few of the GG on Optus. But many of them who have trained as coaches have pursued it in England. That provision hasn't  been  applied to anyone else who hasn't been a former pro footballer in Aus.

At one stage Football Aus wouldn't recognise English quals as good enough (Berger's tenure). Only French, German, Dutch, Spanish quals, outside  Aus  accreditation, were recognised -  if the coach education was undertaken in Europe.
Edited
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 3 Aug 2022 12:10 AM
LFC. - 2 Aug 2022 3:13 PM

It becomes apparent in various interviews what they don't know, particularly as I refer to these wonderful Socceroo videos of games in the early 2000s and throughout the 1990s.

I  don't suggest all former  should undergo comprehensive retraining as a coach. However, if they  intend to coach at semi-pro or por level, or elite youth, they have to be accredited. This wasn't the case before 2006. In addition, if a pundit is going to pass judgement on his /her peers, and new players, s/he should  keep one's professional knowledge base and  development current.

The football world is a small place in Aus. I'm out of the Football Aus coaching loop now, but one hears inside  stories and meets many coaches, including being instructed by renowned coaches in Aus,   when in the loop. For example, Craig Foster, has absolutely thrived on the  new methodology as a former GG player. He has also been quite modest, harshly critiquing his own skill set as a player.  I'm not sure who or what he is coaching now, but he had the NSW NTC playing  some fabulous football a few years back.

Take your point, MW, is an intelligent man, but whereas Fozzie constantly alludes to changing and innovative  practices he has learnt through his Football Aus C, B  and A Licences, and I know his Football Aus coach educators, the  former Fulham keeper hasn't had many conversations with Fozzie, or has totally ignored, or repudiated,  what has transpired in those conversations.  

Simon Hill is a very intelligent man, but he last hasn't undergone modern coach education. Ditto Andy Harper.

Above seen a few  good discussions with Schwarzer and a few of the GG on Optus, but many of them who have trained as coaches have pursued it in England. That provision hasn't  been  applied to anyone else who hasn't been a former pro footballer in Aus. At one stage Football Aus wouldn't recognise English quals as good enough (Berger's tenure),and only French, German, Dutch, Spanish quals, outside  Aus  accreditation, were recognised -  if the coach education was undertaken in Europe.

The football world has changed alot since the hey day for Oz football, the global dynamics particularly and probably under estimated by alot of people here.
I do agree we live in a bubble here and people take things for granted, in my opinion it just makes the Merrick appointment underwhelming...
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

Just watching Arnie playing a bit of a blinder as a central striker against Argentina in 1993 - defending superbly  from the attacking line too too, this guy has been involved with Aus World Cup qualifying campaigns and tournaments  as player or coach, almost non-stop, since 1993!

Also, add his Asian Cup experience!

*1993 Socceroo player in WCQs

*1997 Socceroo player in WCQs

*2001 Assistant Socceroo coach in WCQs

*2006 World Cup Socceroo Assistant Coach under Guus

*2007 Asian Cup Socceroo Head Coach

*2010 World Cup Assistant Coach under Pim

*2019 Asian Cup Socceroo Head Coach 

*2022 World Cup Socceroo Head Coach.

I'm not sure many in  the history of world football would have had more experience in WCQ campaigns, World Cup Tournaments, Intercontinental Cup Qualifying Campaigns and  Intercontinental Cup Tournaments  - as a coach and player? 

Edited
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

grazorblade - 2 Aug 2022 4:34 PM

perhaps genreau and mabil are starters in big 5 leagues but will have to wait and see

One point in evidence that football has become more competitive and it is harder to break into the big 5 is comparing the number of players in big 5 leagues from the 5th ranked south american team in 05 compared to 2022. Japan have also arguably gotten better but I think they have less players now in the big 5 compared to 2 decades ago

Some English scouts, active in Scotland,  consider Martin Boyle should be playing EPL football based on his form in recent seasons.

Because he has peaked a bit later, they can't make sufficient money on him though in a transfer to the EPL.
Edited
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

I reiterate -  only 9 -11 countries in world football have  qualified for the last  5 successive World Cups in a row.  Australia is one of them. There are 208 FIFA member countries.  

The argument we only qualified through Asia and it is a weak federation, has little validity. That is, because we have had only  qualified through Asia exclusively on two occasions - 2010 Pim  and 2014 Holger.

We've had to win 3 intercontinental play offs in those 5 successive successful WCQ campaigns. Twice beating  the 5th best South American team and once beating the 4th placed North American team.

Yes - I get that it is really tough to qualify in Europe, and, even powerhouses don't always qualify for World Cups via UEFA. Other powerhouses  also have to face sudden death play offs in UEFA. It would also be tough for most other countries outside Europe having to qualify through UEFA too.

It would be interesting to document countries outside the big five leagues' parent nations,  and the big two South American domestic leagues, which nations have lots of players in these leagues and don't qualify for World Cups? 

In the big five European leagues, 35 - 50% of players are  domestic. Outside Brazilian and Argentinian imports, plus Portugal, Croatia, Holland, Belgium, in the big  UEFA five, who else provides a plethora of footballers who play in those leagues outside the parent countries?

Simply having  a number of players playing in the big seven leagues in world football,  doesn't  guarantee a  country can field a cohesive and successful team unit.

Edited
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

Another interesting phenomenon, which was delineated as a problem in an overhaul and inquiry into  Aus football in 2008 by the Baan/Berger era, was that in the Socceroo games, 1990s and even including 2006,  and football in general in Aus,  Australia  tended to play at a flat out tempo, devoid of rhythm changes.

Socceroo teams for some time in recent years, have incorporated playing at slower tempos, then have sped the tempo up, and changed back to a slower tempo. This process keeps recurring.  However, we still need to improve our ability to move the ball  more quickly at times, particularly  in attack.

In those Socceroo games in earlier eras, 1990s -2006, there was a lot  of action per minute played - which is also very entertaining for spectators.

Edited
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

on the other hand it could really be that we have declined somewhat from our peak despite improving over a recent trough. People who saw the nsl claim its peak in the early-mid 90s is similar quality to the a league today.

This topic has a been discussed at  nearly every coach education course I've attended. Nobody  in attedance  thinks the NSL was anything like the current A L  in standard. 

A few I know who  are still fans, tragics  or journos, think the NSL at it's best was like the AL 12 odd years ago though. It is definitely a minority view.  
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

The number of full time aussie players starting at a league level in the early to mid 90s was then over 150, compared to today with less teams and foreigners taking up starting spots. Today we have less than a 3rd of the players starting at that level. It stands to reason we would produce around a 3rd of players at the top level

Interesting data, Grazor.

I passionately believe AL imports should be reduced  to 2  per team ATM. The AL was in a different state of development when the old  import rule of 4-5 per team was conceived.
Edited
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

A further observation as I've watched key Socceroo games in 1993, 1997, 2001 and 2005, is that Tony Vidmar has been playing in all of the games, I think!

He mainly played as a Right Back, or even Left Back earlier in this career. Then he became a CB. After finally qualifying for the World Cup in 2005, he developed a heart condition and could not play in Germany. Poor bloke!

I was impressed by Mark Milligan being in 4 successive World Cup  tournament squads, playing in two of them. What Tony V achieved though is pretty remarkable over a long period of time in international football.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

on the other hand it could really be that we have declined somewhat from our peak despite improving over a recent trough. People who saw the nsl claim its peak in the early-mid 90s is similar quality to the a league today. The number of full time aussie players starting at a league level in the early to mid 90s was then over 150, compared to today with less teams and foreigners taking up starting spots. Today we have less than a 3rd of the players starting at that level. It stands to reason we would produce around a 3rd of players at the top level

Graz, I'm sure we all agree competition for contracts is hectic, way of the world more with so much $$$ involved.
Re Japs abroad, 2 decades ago they would have had less in EU than the last 10/12yrs I feel.
Not sure how recent this link is but scroll down seeing the leagues many play in, couple in EPL (Minamano just left to FranceL1)Bundas x 9 followed by other leagues.
They doing ok as we know.
https://uk.soccerway.com/players/players_abroad/japan/

Its no point comparing ol sokha to AL/APLM as does D2, the game is so diff its not funny.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Decentric 2 - 3 Aug 2022 12:50 AM

I reiterate -  only 9 -11 countries in world football have  qualified for the last  5 successive World Cups in a row.  Australia is one of them. There are 208 FIFA member countries.  

The argument we only qualified through Asia and it is a weak federation, has little validity. That is, because we have had only  qualified through Asia exclusively on two occasions - 2010 Pim  and 2014 Holger.

We've had to win 3 intercontinental play offs in those 5 successive successful WCQ campaigns. Twice beating  the 5th best South American team and once beating the 4th placed North American team.

Yes - I get that it is really tough to qualify in Europe, and, even powerhouses don't always qualify for World Cups via UEFA. Other powerhouses  also have to face sudden death play offs in UEFA. It would also be tough for most other countries outside Europe having to qualify through UEFA too.

It would be interesting to document countries outside the big five leagues' parent nations,  and the big two South American domestic leagues, which nations have lots of players in these leagues and don't qualify for World Cups? 

In the big five European leagues, 35 - 50% of players are  domestic. Outside Brazilian and Argentinian imports, plus Portugal, Croatia, Holland, Belgium, in the big  UEFA five, who else provides a plethora of footballers who play in those leagues outside the parent countries?

Simply having  a number of players playing in the big seven leagues in world football,  doesn't  guarantee a  country can field a cohesive and successful team unit.

Our badge of honour qualifying 5 in a row (twice the longest routes imaginable), yer ok glad about that for sure, more so the $$$'s it brings in BUT its in and out the door.
Like being a mid to bottom level Club, hang in there and make the numbers.
Re the mix of players from other NT's playing higher leagues, point is without much analysis/paralysis we hardly have any in decent leagues "period" D2.
SPL has overnight become a focus and I sure wouldn't rate that great more like opportunity the shepard is calling but its nw the new path/door for we've developed pretty poor in the big picture.
Ofcourse having all players in NT's playing top leagues doesn't gaurantee winning as we know look at the Azzuri for eg but it sure as hell helps just ask most NT's who make the last 8 and deeper.

Love Football

Edited
2 Years Ago by LFC.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

Ireland V Socceroos 2003.

Thanks to Aussie Hool, who I think now posts as Gary Boulder on here, for posting this video on YouTube.

The Aussie line up was:

...............................Schwarzer

Neill.............Popovic..........Foxe..........Lazaridis

...............Okon.......................Bresciano
...........................Chipperfield

Emerton................Viduka...................Tiatto 

Ostensibly a 4-2-3-1 formation was set by coach Frank Farina on the TV,  but the setting might have been inaccurate. At this era in Aussie football it may have been more of a 4-4-1-1. Emo and Tiatto may have been in a midfield line with Okon and Bresc, with Chipper slightly in front, and a but behind Dukes.  

Grella, Skoko, Aloisi, were all on the bench.

Australia had just defeated England 3-1 in a friendly.

A few thoughts from the early part of the game.

*As in games before and after, Okon often seems to lack anticipation and reading of the game to make intercepts,  and he is often late on challenges. He also  makes too many rash challenges. He is certainly very effective on the  ball in this game  - when he has time and space to play killer passes forwards.

*This was supposedly Bresciano's first  start. At this stage he has displayed faster handling speed than any of his teammates - the ability to receive and pass the ball on quickly. Also, his handling speed   has stood out in  limited time and space. Bresc seems to be the first player at this stage of Socceroo development  to play rapid-fire passing and move interplay in tight spaces.  These Socceroo DMs who succeeded  him, Grella, Culina, Valeri, Milligan, Mooy, also have had this in their kitbag. Moreover, Bresc is anticipating and reading the opposition build ups well enough to disturb them  a lot more often than Okon. His screening of the defence is  quite superior to Okon's. Interestingly, Bresc has been given licence to roam forwards in build ups as Okon sits. 

* Lazaridis is struggling  in his defensive  play at LB in terms of jockeying, delaying and showing. Irish RB, Carr has rounded him  too often when he overlaps.

* Ireland are building up more systematically from the back in the early parts of the game.

* Compared to most contemporary Socceroos, the CBs and defenders in general  often clear the ball, with a straight, lofted ball forwards, whilst most contemporary Socceroo CBs are far more likely to play a diagonal pass to a player showing in a  diagonal passing lane. Ireland are probably paying a higher attacking line when Aus has the ball, which makes it more difficult to play out from the back.

* Australia's defensive shape is less organised than present teams. Defenders tend to commit far more easily,  whilst contemporary Socceroos are more likely to delay  so other defenders can cover and maintain team defensive shape - as opposed to  higher risk challenges that result in more outright wins or losses. The ball losses  can create gaps.

* There is also  far less organised Socceroo  defending from the front in the attacking line, in terms of team tactical pressing. Dukes and Chipper don't close down space against Ireland like more modern  attacking midfielders and strikers do such as Holman, Brosque and Duke, do so effectively from the front.

Edited
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

I'd have to say I'm finding these older Socceroo games to be quite fascinating.

I remember watching a UEFA Champ League game between Ajax (playing at home) and Arsenal in about 2006-7. Both teams were happy to play for the draw. There were very long periods in possession by both teams. Australia has desperately tried to adopt this football paradigm since the advent of Guus and Pim as national team coaches, and the era of Baan and Berger as national Tech Dirs.

Weirdly, I think the Socceroo era, before these two Dutch coaches and  since their tenures, with their predecessors, Farina, Venables, Thompson and Arok, produced more action and excitement for spectators. Games featured a lot more mistakes by us, and probably our opponents. It wasn't until we played France in 2001, playing the 4-4-2 midfield diamond, and featuring lots of triangles and diamonds all over the pitch when  they were in possession, France being  World Cup holders at that time, that any teams played modern football against us. We didn't play it against them either.

* Viduka against Ireland had one of his better games for the Socceroos. He demonstrated an assured first touch with his back to goal and shielded the ball well. He was  used as a target player by bouncing first and two touch passes back to his teammates. Dukes was effective at holding the ball up and often went further back on the pitch to get involved in play. Under Hiddink and Arnie, he tended to  stay higher up the pitch. This was probably to make the pitch bigger when Australia was in possession. He was also allowed more space by the Irish defence than he was from playing Uruguay in 2005 and afterwards.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

D2 have a read of a pre GG Legend POV re post NSL......
https://www.sbs.com.au/sport/article/socceroos-greats-where-are-they-now-zarko-odzakov/swgtnldcu

Love Football

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 15 Aug 2022 8:30 AM
Weirdly, I think the Socceroo era, before these two Dutch coaches and  since their tenures, with their predecessors, Farina, Venables, Thompson and Arok, produced more action and excitement for spectators. Games featured a lot more mistakes by us, and probably our opponents. It wasn't until we played France in 2001, playing the 4-4-2 midfield diamond, and featuring lots of triangles and diamonds all over the pitch when  they were in possession, France being  World Cup holders at that time, that any teams played modern football against us. We didn't play it against them either.

Something posters have been telling you for years. Australia played how Australia played because that's how they teams played at the time. You telling everyone they were unsophisticated and backwards is disingenuous at best.

It's good you have finally been able to see what others have been trying to tell you.

Member since 2008.

Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 15 Aug 2022 9:39 AM
Decentric 2 - 15 Aug 2022 8:30 AM

Something posters have been telling you for years. Australia played how Australia played because that's how they teams played at the time. You telling everyone they were unsophisticated and backwards is disingenuous at best.

It's good you have finally been able to see what others have been trying to tell you.

If I've  done this, it probably has been more of a counter response to a biased adulation of a GG, devoid of the same standards of critique that are applied now.

Also, some of the GG themselves  have missed the point about the transformation in Australian tactical nous in some of those excellent Optus discussion videos. Not only were we behind quite a bit in tactics and game  sense prior to Hiddink, expressed by some other Socceroos themselves in books, Football Aus workshops and articles - Foster, Slater, Alistair Edwards - we've caught up to the top nations  within the period 2007- 2012. And stayed there.

James Holland has alluded to Austrian football being different and less tactically sophisticated than Aussie football is now. Some of the others playing in Scandinavian leagues have as well. Moreover, when I was watching English League 1 a few years ago, the commentators were saying  that only some EPL teams played out from the back using sophisticated systems. They were commonplace even then in the A L.

In changing our game to such a possession based paradigm, I'm wondering if the excitement factor of football, for everyday fans, might now be less than it was?  
Edited
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

LFC. - 15 Aug 2022 8:49 AM

Ta.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search