A-League Mens - Round 26

A-League Mens - Round 26

Author
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
libelous - 28 Apr 2024 7:51 PM
patjennings - 28 Apr 2024 7:27 PM

Ah, the APL strikes again! 
Anyway my hopes have been realised, no Rudan on the sidelines woohoo!

I particularly dislike the way he snarls and abuses players when they are losing then jumps up and down like he is part of the team when they score or win.

Shame - but Wanderers are Rudan to me so I cannot be happy for them to win even when they play great football.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

NicCarBel - 28 Apr 2024 8:54 PM
Interesting the way the finals got set up.

Despite Mariners having the game against Adelaide still to play (Win or draw and they clinch the Premiers Plate over Wellington), both them and Wellington still earn the right to home finals, so these could still be scheduled.

And two derbies (if we can call Sydney v Macarthur a derby) as elimination finals are probably APL's wet dream. 

I think the Mariners v Adelaide game is going to attract a huge amount of interest in comparative terms from aleagues followers.

Mariners, Adelaide and Nix fans are likely to watch with a vested interest, along with the people who like Mariners for their little team big results image and those who hate the Nix and hope to see them not win - on top of anyone interested in who takes out the Premiers Plate on its own merits.

Great that the season comes down to the final game.

Wednesday 1 May 7:00pm AEST

NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Interesting the way the finals got set up.

Despite Mariners having the game against Adelaide still to play (Win or draw and they clinch the Premiers Plate over Wellington), both them and Wellington still earn the right to home finals, so these could still be scheduled.

And two derbies (if we can call Sydney v Macarthur a derby) as elimination finals are probably APL's wet dream. 
libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)

patjennings - 28 Apr 2024 7:27 PM
libelous - 28 Apr 2024 6:36 PM

City needed to win. Otherwise WSW goes on more wins.

Ah, the APL strikes again! 
Anyway my hopes have been realised, no Rudan on the sidelines woohoo!

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Disappointing to see WSW miss out on the finals, I had high hopes they will do well but their second half of the season wasn't the best and it's cost them a spot.

Melbourne City just sneak in after their Melb derby loss so they done well to recover from that match to make the 6.
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

libelous - 28 Apr 2024 6:36 PM
Melbcityguy - 28 Apr 2024 8:16 AM

I think a draw would be enough because city have a superior goal difference. I’ll be happy not to see Rudan’s  antics in the finals series.

City needed to win. Otherwise WSW goes on more wins.
libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)Rising Star (811 reputation)

Melbcityguy - 28 Apr 2024 8:16 AM
Melbourne city have to win tonight to secure a finals derby against victory 

I think a draw would be enough because city have a superior goal difference. I’ll be happy not to see Rudan’s  antics in the finals series.
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 28 Apr 2024 4:42 PM
I know nothing about goalkeepers but is the Perth bloke having a shocker today?  Seems to be all over the shop.

Oli Sail was a very solid keeper for Wellington a season or two back.

He came across to the mainland either last season or this season and has seemed awfully inconsistent and erorr proan (;)) since. Maybe with the Nix he was protected by a very solid defence and only needed to pull off some great reflex saves.

His decision making has been odd the few times I have noticed him this season (also not a goalkeeper so just from viewing).

When he raced to try and keep a ball in at the corner today was a perfect example. If he had gotten there in time he was then going to be faced with an opponent and a ball at his feet - hoping to avoid a turnover because he was right out at the corner flag. If he did not get there in time (which he didn't) he faced a quick throw in and an open goal behind him. Perhaps a bit of a hero gene in play...

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Witches hats would be better defenders here. 

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

I know nothing about goalkeepers but is the Perth bloke having a shocker today?  Seems to be all over the shop.

Member since 2008.

Booney
Booney
Amateur
Amateur (701 reputation)Amateur (701 reputation)Amateur (701 reputation)Amateur (701 reputation)Amateur (701 reputation)Amateur (701 reputation)Amateur (701 reputation)Amateur (701 reputation)Amateur (701 reputation)Amateur (701 reputation)Amateur (701 reputation)

Tough derby game for Mariners v Jets.Jets played very well and had their chances.However the Mariners finished strongly with the subs Barcellos,Edmondson,Steele and diPizio doing their jobs well.

Though they are the " enemy" it would be tragic if Jets fold.They have a good coach in Stanton and some excellent players-Stamatelopoulos,Natta, Clayton Taylor and Archie Goodwin to name a few.Also Piscopo could resurrect his career if he remains injury free.

Edited
Last Month by Booney
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

grazorblade - 27 Apr 2024 9:14 PM
johnszasz - 27 Apr 2024 9:10 PM

goodwin, burgess, irvine, boyle and ryan the only over 25 year olds we really need 12 months from now

You don't need Boyle, he looks done since his knee injury.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)

Melbourne city have to win tonight to secure a finals derby against victory 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

bbouy - 27 Apr 2024 9:09 PM
johnszasz - 27 Apr 2024 8:28 PM

They defend very differently. Wanderers need to win desperately. Most Asian teams are in a tight low block, have to very talented to break that down as a team. But yes genuinely A-League defence is very poor, especially in transition. 

Inadequate coaching is a big problem with all of our national teams at all levels I think the U23s has really exposed this. 

Australian coaches prefer to face teams when they want to play on the front foot so they can play on transition, the problem it’s not flexible enough especially they need to break down against deep block defences and when the reliance on set pieces isn’t there. 

Edited
Last Month by Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Great advert for a-league youth with WSW tonight, apart from Arzani’s excellent WSW were the better team.

WSW have a very good stable of young players, surely it’s better to invest in them than play overhill players that are here for a holiday. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

weekend for the kids isn't it

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Hammond levels. Another youngster amongst the goals this weekend. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

grazorblade - 27 Apr 2024 9:14 PM

goodwin, burgess, irvine, boyle and ryan the only over 25 year olds we really need 12 months from now

I'd add Hrustic. Time flies he's 27 now.

We have this sort of flair or confidence when Mabil is around. It's nice we've got all these options now. Arnold did really well at adding. I think around 2017 we were starting to scrape the barrel a bit and needed patience for this next gen. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

i wonder who our most skillful xi is? It would skew very young

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

johnszasz - 27 Apr 2024 9:16 PM

The way Australia broke down those defences at the senior Asian cup or looked a better chance of scoring was in quick transition and turnover after opposition mistakes. I think we need to get opponents into a false sense of security and come forward or play out. The question is whether they'd take the bait.

No wonder we look better against Ecuador and Mexico compared to Syria. 

I just wonder how our national teams would look with coaches who'd pick the most skilful types and have our players bite with vigour in transition or when they turn it over. Good players with ball on the floor and everyone thinking a few steps ahead. Most of the time our teams don't know what to do or what anyone is doing. 

being effective against those 2nd teir teams is still something to be proud of even if its ugly to watch us squeeze past defensively minded minnows. Not that long ago we would struggle against both
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

They defend very differently. Wanderers need to win desperately. Most Asian teams are in a tight low block, have to very talented to break that down as a team. But yes genuinely A-League defence is very poor, especially in transition. 

The way Australia broke down those defences at the senior Asian cup or looked a better chance of scoring was in quick transition and turnover after opposition mistakes. I think we need to get opponents into a false sense of security and come forward or play out. The question is whether they'd take the bait.

No wonder we look better against Ecuador and Mexico compared to Syria. 

I just wonder how our national teams would look with coaches who'd pick the most skilful types and have our players bite with vigour in transition or when they turn it over. Good players with ball on the floor and everyone thinking a few steps ahead. Most of the time our teams don't know what to do or what anyone is doing. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Nice one Arzani. I don't think we need to call on Leckie and Maclaren ever again. Duke will still get called up and that's what prevents someone like Stamatelopoulos getting a shout. If the rankings aren't going to change in June then just whip some of these new guys into the national team play system. 

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 27 Apr 2024 9:09 PM
johnszasz - 27 Apr 2024 9:04 PM

good question. Apparently matt ryan credited a sports psychatrist for finally breaking through in the big 5

I remember reading about that. Kudos to Redmayne for getting through his issues too via psychology. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Nice one Arzani. I don't think we need to call on Leckie and Maclaren ever again. Duke will still get called up and that's what prevents someone like Stamatelopoulos getting a shout. If the rankings aren't going to change in June then just whip some of these new guys into the national team play system. 
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star
Rising Star (857 reputation)Rising Star (857 reputation)Rising Star (857 reputation)Rising Star (857 reputation)Rising Star (857 reputation)Rising Star (857 reputation)Rising Star (857 reputation)Rising Star (857 reputation)Rising Star (857 reputation)Rising Star (857 reputation)Rising Star (857 reputation)

I always say every game has its own 90min so it can be tricky to compare. The Olyroos left their shooting boots in the A League it would appear. Are U23 Asian teams better at defending than A League clubs? 

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

johnszasz - 27 Apr 2024 9:04 PM
grazorblade - 27 Apr 2024 8:54 PM

What, if at all, investment or use do we have of sports psychology? The number of fuck ups that give away pens shows we make rash decisions. Leckie in Thailand, Karacic against Oman and Miller against SK. It'd also pay dividends down the other end. Shaq increased his free throw exponentially with sport psych. 

good question. Apparently matt ryan credited a sports psychatrist for finally breaking through in the big 5
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

johnszasz - 27 Apr 2024 9:01 PM
I heard something about Indonesia has this island scouting bloke because places with a single hut have teens playing football from dawn until dusk. Some player in the national team was found, signed for the 3rd tier and made it to the 1st division in a matter of years. 

I wonder how many a league clubs even have scouts?
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

some well taken goals for arzani today. Think he will be a socceroo by christmasish the rate the weaker parts of his game are improving
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 27 Apr 2024 8:54 PM
finishing in particular is a sign of mental prep

compare the socceroos and olyroos. The socceroos struggle to create chances against defensive teams but the finish a really high percent of chances (some games we have more goals than shots!)

the olyroos are better at creating chances but poor at finishing. But there finishing was fine in lead up games, but they couldn't hit a side of a barn in a game that mattered. That speaks to mental prep

What, if at all, investment or use do we have of sports psychology? The number of fuck ups that give away pens shows we make rash decisions. Leckie in Thailand, Karacic against Oman and Miller against SK. It'd also pay dividends down the other end. Shaq increased his free throw exponentially with sport psych. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

I heard something about Indonesia has this island scouting bloke because places with a single hut have teens playing football from dawn until dusk. Some player in the national team was found, signed for the 3rd tier and made it to the 1st division in a matter of years. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search