Worst Roos HOME game performance ever?!

Worst Roos HOME game performance ever?!

Author
farareaa
Under 7s
Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Many games, especially role-playing or simulation games, require players Drive Mad to manage time effectively. In-game tasks often need to be completed within a specific timeframe, teaching players how to prioritize and make quick decisions, which can be useful in real-life situations.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

onedaywinners... - 6 Sep 2024 9:19 PM
I agree with all it was beyond all belief the way we went about trying to score goals...because that is ultimately what it is about.

All I ask for is a coach that will encourage our national team to actually 'play' the game. It is a game after all. Please create an environment where our best get to express themselves by playing football for our nation.

Seriously Graham.

yep I hear you, I recall a coach during one of my son's NPL playing days, he would always shout out "lets play" - meaning open up and express yourselves.
I luved hearing it for at the time he saw they we're being out played/foxed and going in a shell.
It got them to mentally reset.

Is it Arnie's thinking he doesn't see on paper and the training ground not capable to win a game on attacking merit that he always plays defensively and picks his start up squad as such ?
Seriously what is he seeing and thinking compared to the generic garb he quotes when intereviewed.
Players out of position, no creativity but on the bench as we saw.

I recall my times keeping tabs when at SFC, look what he built, from wiki :

"Arnold started his revamp of the squad by releasing 13 players in the pre-season. To solve the teams goalscoring issues, he bought in Brazilian striker Bobô as their new marquee to play alongside former teammate Filip Hološko under the new 2 marquee rule. In addition to this, he also brought in 5 Australian players, including Bernie Ibini on loan, Socceroo Alex Wilkinson (two whom have worked with Arnold at the Central Coast) and Danny Vukovic from rival club Melbourne Victory. The season started off with a bang, with Sydney FC defeating their rivals Western Sydney Wanderers 4–0 in round 1. He led the team to a runners-up finish after being defeated 1–0 in the FFA Cup Final by Melbourne City.

Into the January transfer window, fan favourite Matthew Jurman joined K-League club Suwon Samsung Bluewings, while keeper Vedran Janjetović swapped with Andrew Redmayne to cross city rivals, Western Sydney Wanderers after a dispute about not playing after being displaced by Vukovic. To replace Jurman, Dutch defender Jordy Buijs signed. The team was able to go on undefeated for 19 games in the league before eventually being defeated 1–0 in a controversial game against the Wanderers. This defeat only made the team stronger, as they went the remainder of the season undefeated, gaining 19 points out of a possible 21 for the remaining 7 games. His team was eventually crowned premiers after Melbourne Victory was unable to defeat Brisbane Roar, while Sydney had 4 games remaining. Arnold's 3rd season with Sydney proved fruitful, in addition to winning the premiership, the squad had broken multiple records, including the most points in a single season, breaking Brisbane Roar's 2010–11 season of 65 points in 3 fewer games with 66 points, as well as being the only top-flight football team in Australia to stay outright 1st throughout the whole season. Arnold was also named Coach of the Year at the Dolan Warren Gala Night. He ended the season with a 1–1 in the Grand Final, winning 4–2 on penalties against Melbourne Victory, becoming the first manager to win the championship with more than one club.

Arnold went on to win the 2017-2018 Premiership, becoming the first coach in A League history to win back to back Premierships.

One of the highlights of Arnold's tenure at Sydney FC was his ability to recruit impactful foreign players to the club. Arnold signed the likes of Milos Ninkovic, Bobo, Filip Holosko, Adrian Mierzejewski, and Marc Janko to the Sky Blues, each of whom made telling contributions to Sydney's success between 2014 and 2018 alongside a raft of key Australian players including Brandon O'Neill, Rhyan Grant, Andrew Redmayne, and Joshua Brillante."

He had at his disposal and aquired a solid backline, damn great attacking and defensive midfielders/flankers and capable 9's.
Gawd to have a midfielder or 2 of Adrians/Ninko games now, Holosko's aggressive running and kind of conversion rate.

So I suppose its the usual loonnnnnnng - est road to qualify - don't forget we've been there done that a few times now and hey lets test the new expanded WC format lol.......
Yes I have to have a lol because we usually do it the hard way.

Love Football

Edited
Last Month by LFC.
vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

As soon as i saw the team sheet i knew it was going to be a disaster. We are playing at home why are we playing two defensive midfielders with no creativity. We knew they were going to sit back and park the bus so why did we not have a more attacking lineup with more creative players. It was evident immediately, yet Arnie just say there and watched the shit show.

It should probably also be known that i think nothing of Aiden O'Neil, terrible defensively and offers nothing in attack
Edited
Last Month by vincenzogold
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 7 Sep 2024 12:10 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 6 Sep 2024 10:02 AM
Balin Trev - 6 Sep 2024 9:45 AM

Don't know about being the better side, they just stuck to a game plan and looked to play forward movement football at every break... Played to their strengths and tactically outclassed an incredibly naive coach with technically deficient players.

For a country with a population half of Brisbane's, this will be a famous victory away from home...  perhaps it helps that they have had a second division for 6 decades, 24 clubs with pro/rel and no all encompassing "football curriculum" ... but what would they know?

Change the record.
Population has nothing to do with it, otherwise, China and India would hoover up every competition they played in.

Well one of the excuses we use to NOT have a proper football pyramid is lack of players so .....?

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Lupi33 - 6 Sep 2024 10:16 AM
You act surprised when you don't have any players regularly playing in top leagues... and the A-league isn't even a serious league...its still 4 weeks away from commencing its part time season.  What do you expect?  mid tier AFC teams are your level.  Get used to more of these results.

'Your level" assuming you're Australian you're in it with us lad don't act better then us we all want promotion and relegation and our players playing in top leagues don't act holler then thou 
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 6 Sep 2024 10:02 AM

Don't know about being the better side, they just stuck to a game plan and looked to play forward movement football at every break... Played to their strengths and tactically outclassed an incredibly naive coach with technically deficient players.

For a country with a population half of Brisbane's, this will be a famous victory away from home...  perhaps it helps that they have had a second division for 6 decades, 24 clubs with pro/rel and no all encompassing "football curriculum" ... but what would they know?

Change the record.
Population has nothing to do with it, otherwise, China and India would hoover up every competition they played in.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Coverdale - 7 Sep 2024 1:34 AM
I was at china 2008. Still makes me sick what I paid to have served to me. 

we had kewell then too https://www.espn.co.uk/football/match/_/gameId/233383/china-australia
Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

I was at china 2008. Still makes me sick what I paid to have served to me. 
onedaywinners...
onedaywinners...
Fan
Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)

I agree with all it was beyond all belief the way we went about trying to score goals...because that is ultimately what it is about.

All I ask for is a coach that will encourage our national team to actually 'play' the game. It is a game after all. Please create an environment where our best get to express themselves by playing football for our nation.

Seriously Graham.
Edited
Last Month by onedaywinners...
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

johnszasz - 6 Sep 2024 8:47 PM
grazorblade - 6 Sep 2024 8:44 PM

I mean 10 days for Bahrain compared to our players arriving Monday night or Tuesday morning it certainly showed. We should have planned better all round knowing Bahrain were going to be extra organised. Saudi will undoubtedly do the same as will China. These countries exempt their leagues for the national team.

question is how do we plan given our players had club commitments

we could favour players who got to camp early and have extra sessions, then play our best team on tuesday? That would of course be a gamble
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

grazorblade - 6 Sep 2024 8:44 PM
Yeah 2 all vs oman was interesting and analogous

Jedi, holland and holman were our mids which meant 3 defensive minded mids, while our best players at the time made for a conservative and languid team against a team parking the bus

We also had a full back out of position in mckay

Difference this time was a combination of bad luck and the 10 day camp. I dont think a team prepped for ten days against us at home

I mean 10 days for Bahrain compared to our players arriving Monday night or Tuesday morning it certainly showed. We should have planned better all round knowing Bahrain were going to be extra organised. Saudi will undoubtedly do the same as will China. These countries exempt their leagues for the national team.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Yeah 2 all vs oman was interesting and analogous

Jedi, holland and holman were our mids which meant 3 defensive minded mids, while our best players at the time made for a conservative and languid team against a team parking the bus

We also had a full back out of position in mckay

Difference this time was a combination of bad luck and the 10 day camp. I dont think a team prepped for ten days against us at home
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

Last night was incredibly poor. China 08. Just a friendly but the first half NZ away. Oman 2:2 was a terrible first hour then we woke up. 6:0 against France, 4:0 against Brazil, 1:0 in that forgotten Qatar friendly. Plenty of games under ME flood lights have been dire; like they don't want to be there.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 6 Sep 2024 5:46 PM
I went to a game in Sydney when we played China a few years back (pre Arnold, pre Russia, pre Asian cup maybe?) when we fielded only 1 overseas player. (May have been Kewell.) This was when tickets where around $100 or so.

Can't remember exactly what match (somebody help) but remember thinking we have been thoroughly bent over here and rogered with chilli on a stick.

I think China won 1 nil maybe?

Edit:

Found it. It was this match. June 22. 2008.

Worse still it was played in front of 70k people.  http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/Socceroo/2008A.html

How's the team?  Ruben farking Zadkovich!!! Lololol.

Michael Petkovic, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Matthew Spiranovic, Jade North, Ruben Zadkovich, Carl Valeri, Mile Jedinak (Neil Kilkenny 79), James Holland (David Williams 63), James Troisi (Kristian Sarkies 83), Bruce Djite, Harry Kewell

I've seen many poor games around the world but that one stands out for me too. 

Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

I went to a game in Sydney when we played China a few years back (pre Arnold, pre Russia, pre Asian cup maybe?) when we fielded only 1 overseas player. (May have been Kewell.) This was when tickets where around $100 or so.

Can't remember exactly what match (somebody help) but remember thinking we have been thoroughly bent over here and rogered with chilli on a stick.

Edit:

Worse still it was played in front of 70k people.  http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/Socceroo/2008A.html

Michael Petkovic, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Matthew Spiranovic, Jade North, Ruben Zadkovich, Carl Valeri, Mile Jedinak (Neil Kilkenny 79), James Holland (David Williams 63), James Troisi (Kristian Sarkies 83), Bruce Djite, Harry Kewell

Was last match of the initial qualifying round and was a dead rubber as we'd already qualified, so Pim threw in all the kids at the time. This was also a reaction to all the press at the time complaining that he hadn't been blooding any youngsters so in response he picked a whole team of them! 

Given the game was a dead rubber, player by kids and against a stronger nation than Bahrain, this recent defeat was much much worse. We genuinely did not look like scoring and Arnold completely blundered his tactics. We've never played well using this inverted fullback system trying to copy ange. We simply don't have the ball technique required. The 352 he used last round seemed to suit us very well and makes use of our surplus of center backs and means we don't need to use a right back. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

I was there on June 22, 08. Final game of AFC preliminary round for 2010 WC which was a dead rubber. We played a B team and it was horrible. Petkovic in goal. Holland started I think. 

It was the Chinese early volley goal and they faked injury a lot too. 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Edit:

Member since 2008.

Edited
Last Month by Munrubenmuz
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Yes, easily. We didn't even look like creating any chances let alone actually score. 

Desperately need more technicians on the pitch. The main playmaker ended up being a 20 yr old center back playing out of position at right back in his 4th cap. 

Arnie needs to drop this inverted nonsense we don't have the players for it. 
Lupi33
Lupi33
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (294 reputation)Hardcore Fan (294 reputation)Hardcore Fan (294 reputation)Hardcore Fan (294 reputation)Hardcore Fan (294 reputation)Hardcore Fan (294 reputation)Hardcore Fan (294 reputation)Hardcore Fan (294 reputation)Hardcore Fan (294 reputation)Hardcore Fan (294 reputation)Hardcore Fan (294 reputation)

You act surprised when you don't have any players regularly playing in top leagues... and the A-league isn't even a serious league...its still 4 weeks away from commencing its part time season.  What do you expect?  mid tier AFC teams are your level.  Get used to more of these results.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Only 1-0 loss to an unlucky deflected goal but overall the Roos performance was utterly terrible. If Roos played well but still lost i could probably move on but when the game ‘plan’ was just pass long, backwards, sideways it’s pathetic and inexcusable.
Bahrain are ranked 80th in world. They play acted but were still the better side.

Nisbet was totally needed instead of Metcalfe as AM. Bechich and Boyle looked outclassed by Bahrain defenders/attackers. Ryan should not be starting when not playing regular club football. Izzo wasted. Irankunda should have started instead of Boyle. 

Asian Cup disappointment all over again

Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Only 1-0 loss to an unlucky deflected goal but overall the Roos performance was utterly terrible. If Roos played well but still lost i could probably move on but when the game ‘plan’ was just pass long, backwards, sideways it’s pathetic and inexcusable.
Bahrain are ranked 80th in world. They play acted but were still the better side.

Nisbet was totally needed instead of Metcalfe as AM. Bechich and Boyle looked outclassed by Bahrain defenders/attackers. Ryan should not be starting when not playing regular club football. Izzo wasted. Irankunda should have started instead of Boyle. 

Asian Cup disappointment all over again

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search