Liverpool Football Club - Welcome, Jürgen!

Liverpool Football Club - Welcome, Jürgen!

Author
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
League Cup vsing Chelsea early morn our time tomorrow, 4.45am.
On another Cup go you good thing Derby result, brilliant free kick by our young loanee Harry Wilson and ironically their other goal scored by a young Chelsea loanee.

Love Football

Edited
6 Years Ago by LFC.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Well, I can imagine what Kloppy is thinking of these Internationals even more now.
Salah back @ Melwood after 1 game with injury.
Mane, broken thumb.
VVD injured a few weeks ago and the recent games have made it worse now in doubt.
Milly last league game off with slight hammy strain.
Lucky we endured our hectic schedule prior to Internationals.
Now to see how our bench takes up the challenge but I'm feeling ok at this stage.
Means Studge has to step in with Bobby.
AA back at RB, Gomez with either Lovren or Matip ?

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Got through the trap away, 3points all that matters.

Love Football

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

We used to lose or draw games the way United are.

United used to arse wins the way we're doing.

#tradingplaces

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

haha, I'm trying not to mention them but yes for sure, our past has been riddled with loss's/draws from mod table down as we know.
Thankfully just one top moment is enough.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

A good win this morn to watch at Home.
Hats off to the Serb Champs doing their best, had a couple f chances early but we were faster, strong passing was evident, 82% accuracy.
Glad to see Fabinho finally start to show what he can give us, playing these guys was perfect for him to play his game.
Shaqiri another top effort and finally our front 3 started to show last years form but in saying that still no where near it.
Mo gets a double, 50 quickest scored ever for a Pool player, pity Mane didn't convert pen but made up for it.
Thought Belgrade were lucky not ending up with just 9 on the pitch the way it was going.
Grp pretty much done.
Good article
https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/uefa-champions-league/liverpool-v-red-star-belgrade-big-reds-win-yields-signing-boosts-stark-united-contrast/news-story/b9cc5a2184231867baec3e6a672ac2db

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Been OS last few weeks and haven't been able to watch games but to follow updates.
Looks like gooners put up a good fight at home but a draw is better than 0 points.
Surprised by the Red Star result - haven't seen it as well but for sure expected a ding dong battle but down 2 surprised me.
All in all were just a win off City in the league and still in CL.
Promising whilst I still don't think were playing on all cylinders up front it seems.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Well, thank christ 3points.
I'm sure all expected better but Fulham played well after the crap they have been dished out the last weeks.
As mentioned we were lucky but any game you need luck.
They were dangerous on the counter but we didn't help ourselves not putting away early chances.
I don't know what it is but were still not looking comfortable but for moments like the disallowed goal of theirs and the quick counter Mo putting away.
Got to take it anyway you can, not playing well but still banking points, best start in the PL so what were not playing like last year.
Gawd VVD is brilliant.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Really sorry for Gomez out for 6wks.

Onya Milly, Happy 500th EPL game and typical sound performance by you And more so the Squad.
Top away win.
Mo Hat Trick - doesn't accept MOTM pass's it on the Milly.
I couldn't pick who had a bad game.
Matip stepped in played brilliant.

CL coming up @ home vsing Napoli.
Obviously this needs a huge effort to win but I'm not fussed anymore, we blew it losing the away games I feel were better off out of this campaign but I suppose we will see.

Love Football

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Got two big games at home in the next 7 days. So typical that their first league game having gone top of the league and being the only team remaining undefeated, would be against United with the bus driver in charge. 

I'd much rather see LFC going for the double than just competing for one trophy, but were they to drop out of the CL and City to go deep into the competition it could well work in their favour coming to the pointy end of the PL season...

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

hehe I was just going a game at a time.
I'd love to contest everything but considering the position were in now re the CL, need to win x 2 and other result go our way if I'm right is a huge ask.
I'm looking at the positive us out and city keep going its sure to drain on their squad as long as we are not suffering more injuries ourselves as well come later in the season.

yer bloody united @ home next, if there is one game to win its this ONE for me ! and city in Jan.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

clean sheet and 1nil CL win through to next stage - proud of the boys what a strong game and giving it all.

Love Football

Ariaga
Ariaga
Super Fan
Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)

LFC. - 12 Dec 2018 10:07 AM
 clean sheet and 1nil CL win through to next stage - proud of the boys what a strong game and giving it all.

Watched the game this morning (as a neutral). Mane was out of sorts and got lucky with the poor shot/good save at the death. Good game, though.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

agree good to watch but as always on the edge on my seat at times.
Allison worth his weight in gold that injury time save.
VVD as always brilliant and Matip.
Mane missed 3 at least, Salah another couple as well.
1nil and clean sheet as mentioned was what was needed.

Concerns now are TAA and Matip.
Matip shoulder, TAA ?
Milly came off late with cramp - should be ok.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

How SWEET it is !
Dominate game and seeing them further down the abyss makes for wonderful viewing Merry Xmas mancs :)

Love Football

Edited
6 Years Ago by LFC.
Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

It annoys me that this game is no longer a primetime fixture. Used to be the case you'd be able to go out Saturday night and it'd usually kick off 10pm AEST. Waiting until 3am on a weekday with no Optus Sport is a stretch too far, so I slept on the result. Waking up and opening Fb to see the score didn't surprise me. I expected 2-0 or 3-0, my only concern was they've had a good record against LFC the last couple of seasons and would've LOVED to be the side who finally broke our undefeated streak.

I watched the match highlights on YouTube earlier and it really stood out just how much ball LFC had down their end of the field compared to Manure. Even watching 10 minutes of highlights you got an appreciation for how much LFC dominated this one. It's great knowing that even if Firmino or Salah don't score, you've got Mane or Shaquiri coming off the bench to step up. This is a well-rounded squad, looking ahead this far out I see the biggest danger games being Arsenal coming up and the return legs in Manchester later on...

Edited
6 Years Ago by Captain Haddock
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

If it wasn't for the WC I wouldn't have retained Optussport so I have to say I have been back to my full on Fox days watching so much football and better still can play those mini matchs replays.
65% possesion, at times they didn't get past halfway.
Fabinho played his best game to date, had a couple of shots just out of the box, one struck sweet but straight to degea.
Awesum team effort pleasure to watch.
Gooners/Manchesters and Chelsea/Spurs.

Love Football

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

Somebody this morning pointed out that of the past 10 teams to be top of the ladder at Christmas, only twice has that side not gone on to win the league, and both times its' been LFC. Also of note is that the last time it happened was 5 years ago (2013/14), which was 5 years after the previous time it happened (2008/09)

3rd time lucky?

I'd say this current squad is more complete and better drilled than the "nearly" side 5 years ago. They scored at will like City do, but their defence was frail. Games like 5-3 over Stoke or the 3-3 draw with Palace come to mind. We saw the difference in that team after Suarez left. But this time, while they're not as abundant with goals, the defence is the best in the league. Great recruiting by Klopp in that regard, and unlike the previous "nearly" teams where it was Torres/ Suarez leading the charge, the attacking threat is more diverse this time. Salah is the focal point of this team but even if he has a quieter game there's Mane or Firmino or Shaq or even a Sturridge appearence to take his place. 

The 2008/09 side lost just two games all season but they got too many draws along the way. This was a problem with Rafa, where he'd aim to hold a 1-0 lead against lower ranking teams rather than keep the pressure on and make the result a certainty. We didn't know at the time, but apparently the falling out with Hicks/ Gillet and Rafa behind the scenes was a distraction on the squad, too. This current squad generally gets the wins and I no longer fear playing the smaller teams away from home. Added to that, there appears to be more unity between FSG and Klopp which helps from a management perspectve.

But I'm realistic to the point of being pessimistic- at this point the two biggest problems I see for LFC are:

a) For everything they're doing right, they haven't been able to break away from City. 

b) The squad have rarely played to their very best. Are they able to lift to that potential level in a game if it's suddenly required?

I'd be happy for anybody to point out anything I might be missing here?

Edited
6 Years Ago by Captain Haddock
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

What a result that could have been a banana peel as in the past.
We were lucky but thats any game for all, we gave away ball cheaply in our 3rd and wolves didn't capitilise and Allison saved 2.
We could have been 3down, could have IF luck was wolves way.
Our open play was brilliant and Mane's pass down the line to Fabinho who then attacked the by line to cut back finding Salah with a peach outside left strike into goal was COOL as Klopp would say.
This was class and Salah is finding his form now, infact he celebrated that goal for a change.
Top scorer atm and reading he's just 3goals behind same period last season.

I don't know where/how to answer you CH.
As long as city keep winning how do you break away ? and we need to keep winning.
Toons next but the following fixtures will set up a picture imo,Gooners @ home 30/12 followed by city away 4/1.

I think last seasons cavalier goal scoring has expected us to be same or as fluent and more but its our defense that has improved that much compared to last season.
I can't find the table same period last season @ 18games but right now were on 7 GA, we shipped plenty last season.
That was the difference not finishing higher than 4th.
We maybe not scoring like last season but were winning and VVD now is so settled and Thanks to him, Gomez prior to injury has improved so much added with Robinson/AA/Lovren/Matip incl backed by Allison the squad now is confident from start to finish especially after the last month of results.

I even wonder what Jan window might bring ?
Klopp has our group playing together, hungry and understanding competition for start up spots is up to them but also understanding depending on tactics for each game.
He has us in perfect position to keep going, its up to the boys to deliver.
The biggest luck I hope for ahead - is no major injuries that could upset momentum, VVD out for some weeks could challenge us but I also think the mental strength were building we could cope.
Sorry I'm just going on being a happy Red at this stage.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Other results and our win a very nice Christmas Pressie !

Love Football

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

* Bump *

Imagine going back 1 month and telling people that of the 3 teams competing for the title this season (City, us, Spurs) one of them would get the hiccups before NYE. How many would guess it'd turn out to be City?

In fairness Leciester are still a perfectly decent side who bother to play attacking football home or away- but like I said before, City haven't been in those challenging games up until now like LFC have. We're more battle-hardened. I was impressed with this mornings' result- a clinical effort right when it was needed from LFC, after Klopp had spoken about the importance of not getting carried away with the form of other sides or the Christmas period. The kind of professionalism you'd want from a team with aspirations for major silverware.

Thing is, even IF LFC fall short this season, I'm convinced they'll be there again competing next season. Depth is good at last, defence is good at last. The reason there's been no title in the PL era has been consistency. 1996/97 and 2001/02 they looked good enough to win it- but didn't. 2008/09 they really should've done it (nobody could beat LFC on their day) but the draws killed them off. 2013/14 they had an on-fire Suarez- but defence was always leaky and our luck could only last so long. Aside from those seasons, it's been up and down at this club, season to season. But the past couple of years there's been a steadiness to this side and a real sense that Klopp has built something. For a manager who shows his emotions so much on the field, I find it unusual that this team goes about its' business in a much more clinical and professional fashion than I've seen over the past 15 years at least. 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Yes I got up for the Toon game.
TBH we had a couple of scares 1st half that had me curling my toes and thinking were not being intense enough (defense wise) at the time but once we had the ball we had complete control.
Vsing 5 across the back and mids sitting depth made for typical traffic but our close 1 2 touch's were brilliant to watch.
One thing that has been said the last weeks from some ex players is Robbo's deliveries are too deep a few times and AA did the same as well, over hit them.
About the only negative I can say so whatever.
Different times CH, I was thinking about Rafa's time for eg, as he quoted regards the Pool now, wish he had the resource Klopp has compared to his days, imagine what could have been no doubt about it, consistency would have been.
The same goes the previous close times, just not complete squad like we had back in the halcyon days I grew up watching.
Our past owners didn't want to pour more dollars in full stop, thats the main reason united dominated the PL era in the past, Fergi could buy what he needed/when to re cycle attack etcetc....
Were now about there and the grafting wins from last and this season is giving the entire squad/club confidence now.
Still undefeated, the clubs in the top 4 now have more than double GA than us, this is now the key.
Klopp speaks wisely, cannot predict whats ahead when asked, next month or about his contract come 2022 they ask, he says its just about winning each game, IF we keep doing this then we see where it ends.

The next 2games are to die for, not just for us for them as well.
I feel that we will do the Gunners or if its a draw so be it but more the citizens will not be confident coming up against us for they know we have improved since last season, we now can compete with them player for player and from the bench and we have the momentum/mentality more than them now and I feel our players will want to prove to them this is it !
They had the luxury of having so many points ahead by Christmas they could afford dropping games but look at them now, they have been looking over their shoulders, its game on and were right in it.

edit, like to add also this is one of the strongest seasons in epl imo, Spurs with same squad as last season has really picked themselves up, Poch is doing a brilliant job, I expected Gooners lifting after the long Arsene era top job by Emery, Pep/City weren't going to go away still strong as and will fight to the end, Sarri's boys will keep improving, united will recover as expected but miles behind, the clubs below are playing good football as well.
Every game is like a final its riveting to watch.

Love Football

Edited
6 Years Ago by LFC.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Like wow, we let in a goal, and have to say it was a good one and about the best play the Gooners had of 90mins.
Always thought their results were not as good as it seemed.
Their defense is woeful and lost the plot the 1st half due to our play.
Fouls here fouls there you could see they couldn't hold us back.
4 of the 5 were gifts by them, 2 backline errors, 2 pens due to fullback fouls.
I really wished we rubbed them more in the dirt 2nd half not just finish 5-1.
What a game by the starting 11, Bobby, the brazilians crap on about neymar, Bobby is just as good if not better, what a player.
Wonder what city must be thinking next.

edit, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang had just 13 touches in Arsenal's defeat at Anfield; six of which came from kick-offs. Lonely.
VVD/Lovren beasting them all to date !

Love Football

Edited
6 Years Ago by LFC.
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Never unclench.
Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

Territorial possession this morning was 50% each.

Shots on target were 5-4 in favour of City. Completed passes were narrowly led by City.

Those are the stats I was most interested to see after the game.

Mane's first shot on goal hit the post and was kept out by 2 cm or less. Sane's goal to reclaim the lead also hit the post- and only just cleared the line to tuck itself inside the net.

That's really how close it was. On another day, LFC could've easily got away with a draw or even the win. If they'd been dismantled by City I'd be concerned looking ahead, but with the notable exception of Lovren (nothing new there) I can't fault LFC much. They played at the same level we've seen of them all season this far, away to their biggest title challengers and looked good enough to have got a result if not for those couple of centimetres. Some of the passing could've been a bit finer in execution, but that's about it. It's difficult to feel too disappointed otherwise. I'm looking forward to getting Gomez back and looking at Klopp's track record of ridding the squad of players who are defensive liabilites, I wonder how much longer Lovren has at Anfield?

A long way to go in this season, and still more than a win ahead of City with equal points difference. As long as this squad shows the composure and belief they have the past 18 months, I rate their chances.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Agree that there is still a long way to go.
Both teams couldn't play their natural games.
I actually thought we didn't look as convincing imo.
City were pressing us so much we weren't comfortable receiving the ball under pressure.
They looked more hungry.
The selection on having a working midfield had me a little.
I feel Fabinho would have been more robust to handle Fernandinho.
Shaq on earlier as well.
Salah was mia, he got hussled off the ball too easy for me but Kompany's lunging tackle ????.
The Stones line save had me, I feel it crossed but ce la vie.
It was a heavy weight clash that is for sure.
A very good lesson for us.

Love Football

Edited
5 Years Ago by LFC.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Thankyou, good 3points away !

Love Football

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

A controlled performance against a side who played quite well- especially in the midfield. The call on Salah was a fair one considering how he was manhandled, even without the penalty call LFC would've been unlucky not to leave with the win. Brighton haven't been kept scoreless in a while and they've rarely been defeated at home this season, so it's an achievement on both fronts to manage that. The measured response from the team was ideal considering the usual suspects who'd come out of the woodwork over the past week or so to critiscise the teams' standing. Manure's win over Spurs this morning plays into our hands as well in a small way.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

14 games to go anything can happen but yes a couple of results went our way the weekend.

Brighton near on played a perfect mourinho game plan at home.
A very well organised side and fought to the end as expected.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Great end result.
A bogey and good team Palace are.
Beat City and gave us similar challenge.
Thats 6 goals they have put through the top2.
Great fighting to win 2nd half.
Every goal was nice I especially liked Mane's nice hard shot across their keeper into side net.
Losing Milly for 1game.

Love Football

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search