*Official* AFL (Australian Football League) Thread

*Official* AFL (Australian Football League) Thread

Author
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Footy's back!
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
pv4 - 26 Sep 2016 12:55 PM
Previously I've only ever watched the Grand Final of AFL.

Over the last few weeks I've just so happened to be in places on a Fri/Sat night that have AFL games going. 

I've never watched closely enough to appreciate how truly brutal the sport is. Three quarters of what I do in my football games and am considered a dirty/thug player for, seems to be standard play by all players in AFL. These guys are athletic machines! 

I've been really enjoying watching the games. I think over the last few weeks I've caught Hawthorn v Cats, Hawthorn v Dogs, GWS v Dogs. What I can 100% say in such little viewing time is I hate Hawthorn :lol: they're all just mega jerks. 

My sister used to live in Central-West WA and every single person seemed to support WCE over there, so I told everyone I supported the Dockers to wind them up. And Sydney has always been my "local" team. So I consider myself a Dockers & Swans fan. 

Will definitely be heading to a game in future, and plan on watching more games on TV next season. I'd love to play it but my body couldn't cope with the injuries :lol:

The main thing I consider AFL to lack that I love football for is the ideal of possession of the ball. That's where football just reigns supreme IMO. It is nice watching AFL teams spread wide and find kick/pass between players all the way up the field though. 

Image result for 1991 afl grand final  oh yes 91 grand final win over eagles , 
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Do people on here really follow the AFL?? That is weird.

Bloody Melbourne I suppose.
thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Fail to see the richmond hype. Played 2 extremely poor sides. 
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

thejollyvic - 31 Mar 2017 1:11 PM
Fail to see the richmond hype. Played 2 extremely poor sides. 

Give it a few more weeks
Scotch&Coke
Scotch&Coke
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Watching a lot of fox footy lately and the comparison to fox league is crazy.  The NRL knocks them out of the park.  Robbo is deadset a more punchable bloke than paul kent and that is saying something. Cant believe he has a job on television. One thing i have to give the NRL is that the presenters of fox league are far more likeable and proffesional than pretty much all the people on fox footy. Whether that is because they had more time to develop their channel or some other reason.  Most of the fox footy team are far too serious/wankers while leagues hosts are more a larakin type persona. Browny does my absolute head in as well.
thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Scotch&Coke - 4 Apr 2017 7:56 PM
Watching a lot of fox footy lately and the comparison to fox league is crazy.  The NRL knocks them out of the park.  Robbo is deadset a more punchable bloke than paul kent and that is saying something. Cant believe he has a job on television. One thing i have to give the NRL is that the presenters of fox league are far more likeable and proffesional than pretty much all the people on fox footy. Whether that is because they had more time to develop their channel or some other reason.  Most of the fox footy team are far too serious/wankers while leagues hosts are more a larakin type persona. Browny does my absolute head in as well.

Afl 360 is so hard to watch i cant stand either robbo or the other guy.On the couch tries to be edgy but isn't. Bounce really isnt funny as well. The matty johns show is great though and i dont mind the one with the professor  
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/afl-record-crowds-push-profit-to-almost-50m-150m-in-3-years/news-story/f7b750bad6ee4cbb52ce293f900fd79e

AFL kicks $50m goal as girls pull on the boots

Faces of the future: Lily Race, Frankie Walsh and Emma Walsh, who play for Sydney’s Glebe Greyhounds. Picture: John Feder
Faces of the future: Lily Race, Frankie Walsh and Emma Walsh, who play for Sydney’s Glebe Greyhounds. Picture: John Feder
The AFL is kicking financial goals, drawing record crowds and recruiting a new generation of ­female stars in a historic performance that confirms Aussie rules as the nation’s sporting powerhouse.Women and girls are pulling on the boots in such numbers that, on Tuesday, AFL Commission chairman Richard Goyder credited their involvement as powering the success of footy at both the community level and in the elite AFLW competition.“The desire of women and girls to be part of our game at every level drives our growth,” he said.
The AFL’s 2019 financial result­s — headlined by a net profit of almost $50m — reveal that femal­e participation jumped almos­t 11 per cent last year, with 586,422 women and girls playing the game.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Further to the above article, Sports Industry has created this graph showing AFL revenue for last 30 years, good reference for anyone who follows these sorts of stats for Australian sport:

sportsindustry@footyindustryAUAFL Revenue 1989-2019Image12:51 PM · Feb 19, 2020·Twitter Web Client

bettega
bettega
World Class

So as of the most recently completed financial year, the AFL makes roughly half of its revenue from the broadcast deal.
I think the FFA would have a similar ratio (just thinking off the top of my head).

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search