Technology thread

Technology thread

Author
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
In my experience, at the same screen size, a monitor (with a tuner) makes a better TV than a TV makes a computer monitor. I got 24" and 21" HD monitors, honestly the 24" is plenty big for desktop use. And it only cost $230 brand new from a computer store.

macktheknife could probably shed more light on this TBH. I don't know the tech specs behind it.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Yeah, my current monitor is 24", I love it.
Nico
Nico
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

Anyone got Foxtel on 360? Currently I'm living in an apartment and the executive committee would not allow us to install Fox. With the A-league now started I'm looking at alternative options until which point we can get Fox proper. Have a few q.s regarding 360.

1. I've had a look on the Foxtel website, and while it says they are showing todays HAL games, does anyone know what they will actually show all season? When there's a clash with other sports like big bash will we still get A-league?

2. What sort of an Xbox should I look at getting. Will probably not use it for anything other than Fox as I already have a PS3 which is vastly superior to the 360 in almost every way. Maybe play Gears of War.

3. What's the quality of Foxtel like on 360? Does it drop out, etc.
at work
at work
Rising Star
Rising Star (765 reputation)Rising Star (765 reputation)Rising Star (765 reputation)Rising Star (765 reputation)Rising Star (765 reputation)Rising Star (765 reputation)Rising Star (765 reputation)Rising Star (765 reputation)Rising Star (765 reputation)Rising Star (765 reputation)Rising Star (765 reputation)

Nico wrote:
Anyone got Foxtel on 360? Currently I'm living in an apartment and the executive committee would not allow us to install Fox. With the A-league now started I'm looking at alternative options until which point we can get Fox proper. Have a few q.s regarding 360.

1. I've had a look on the Foxtel website, and while it says they are showing todays HAL games, does anyone know what they will actually show all season? When there's a clash with other sports like big bash will we still get A-league?

2. What sort of an Xbox should I look at getting. Will probably not use it for anything other than Fox as I already have a PS3 which is vastly superior to the 360 in almost every way. Maybe play Gears of War.

3. What's the quality of Foxtel like on 360? Does it drop out, etc.

Nico same situation for me in my apartment; we're not hooked up for Fox.
So I got it through my Xbox.

To answer your Q's:
1) So far they have shown every A-League game live. Hard to say what may happen when the Big Bash starts. Other than that no other sports would play on the single FoxSports channel to compete with live a-league games.

2) If you haven't currently got an Xbox, they just reduced the price for the whole range so you should just get the base Arcade (think that's what it's called) for about $199 I think. Disagree PS3 is better, shit controller. Anyway that's an argument for the IGN website.

3) Quality is better than I expected. They say it uses about 800mb an hour of streaming.
The only time you notice pixel breakage is when it shows the crowd as there are so many little moving things going on screen. But the actual action on the pitch is quite good. Never drops out, the only reason it would buffer is if your also trying to watch videos online (youtube, etc).

Cost[u]: $20 for basic + $10 sport + ~$10 Xbox Live Gold = $40 a month
Which is not bad as you also get 2 ESPN channels among a few other decent channels

Edited by at work: 14/10/2012 10:54:38 AM
Nico
Nico
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

Shit. I read that as Xbox Live Gold was $40 a month. $40 all up is much better.

Cheers for the run down. Looks pretty good. Think I'll take the risk they'll show the games all year round - at least on replays.
99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Last year they didn't put any big bash games on,and had every A-League game live, as well as premier league, with the only disadvantage being no red button. Good to have ESPN for the NBA and NFL as well. Pretty sure it doesn't count against your downloads if your internet is with telstra
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

As per my previous question, this looks to be the favourite at the moment, in terms of cost and delivering what I need. Anyone got any other suggestions?
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Nico wrote:
Shit. I read that as Xbox Live Gold was $40 a month. $40 all up is much better.

Cheers for the run down. Looks pretty good. Think I'll take the risk they'll show the games all year round - at least on replays.

You can usually find Xbox Gold 12 month passes on ebay for $40 or $50.
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend
Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)

Group: Moderators
You can buy the email code from ozgameshop for 48 bucks. They email it in like 12 hours.
zimbos_05
zimbos_05
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Anyone know whats a good modem router to get. My current modem router at home has bust. Im going to be using it for the usual internet surfing and downloading of songs, movies etc. Also play some online games and need to link the Xbox to it too.

Also have 2 laptops and about 4 smartphones hooked to the same wireless.

So yeah need ideas, Budget is abut $100 or less.
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Funky Munky wrote:

Current monitor is 40" LED... 8-[

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

zimbos_05
zimbos_05
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Just bringing this on to next page. Thanks GA :p

zimbos_05 wrote:
Anyone know whats a good modem router to get. My current modem router at home has bust. Im going to be using it for the usual internet surfing and downloading of songs, movies etc. Also play some online games and need to link the Xbox to it too.

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

General Ashnak wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:

Not compensating for anything...
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:

Not compensating for anything...

:lol:

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.

General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend

zimbos_05 wrote:
Just bringing this on to next page. Thanks GA :p

zimbos_05 wrote:

Have you been on to the Whirlpool forums? Lots of info there which is helpful!

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

With routers, just googling will give you a shed-load of results and reviews. They'll be able to tell you more than pretty much anyone on here.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Fuck me, The Nexus 4 looks unreal.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/29/here-are-the-official-specs-for-the-nexus-4-and-nexus-10/

The best part is the price, starting at $299. I can sell my out of date S2, update to this and come out at least even.

martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Good luck selling your S2 for $300, you can get boxed unlocked S2 HSPA+ and 4G LTE handsets for about that price. You selling to a mate?

I've tended to ignore any Nexus branded device. Despite lacking 4G LTE the Nexus 4 looks quite a good handset at that price... HSPA+ is quite practical, if you're with Telstra, and service will only get better as 4G LTE is rolled out. I personally wouldn't go with any other carrier at the moment.

I'm waiting till the end of November for the Galaxy Note 2.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

They're going for $270-300 atm on Ebay, got a couple years extra warranty aswell. Even still happy to pay $100 for the upgrade.

Note 2 looks good, just don't believe the size is practical, that thing is massive.
martyB
martyB
Legend

Yeah I get that about the Note 2. It's a fraction narrower than the first one, but if you've got big hands it's not bad. However, people have this preconception that the device should or must be operated with one hand which just isn't true. Use two hands and you're sweet. I always type and sometimes navigate with two hands even on my S2... typing is so much quicker. There's a feature on the Note 2 to reduce the size of the keyboard and shift it to the left or right for one-hand operation, which is pretty neat. But it's a niche product for a market which demand exceeded even Samsung's expectations.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
Good luck selling your S2 for $300, you can get boxed unlocked S2 HSPA+ and 4G LTE handsets for about that price. You selling to a mate?

To be fair, it s a product which they were charging in excess of $800 for a year ago. That seems about right for depreciation.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Damn I want a Surface Pro.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Best place to get HDMI cables?

General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend

www.cablechick.com.au

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

Funky Munky wrote:

Or Ebay, digital signal so doesn't matter how much you pay.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

afromanGT wrote:
Quote:

To be fair, it s a product which they were charging in excess of $800 for a year ago. That seems about right for depreciation.

This (got my estimation off Ebay/Gumtree)
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

jlm8695 wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:

It does. It really does. Cables will still break from being made of inferior products and signal quality can degenerate from lower-quality alloy conductors.

That said, I'd still go with Ebay.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

afromanGT wrote:
jlm8695 wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:

It does. It really does. Cables will still break from being made of inferior products and signal quality can degenerate from lower-quality alloy conductors.

Sure the build quality might not be as great, but I'm yet to see evidence that there is actually a difference in quality. Only thing I've seen is a marginal ( only being able to tell by stats, not in use)was a colour increase in a cable that was worth over $100.

Also at $1.50, who cares if it breaks :)
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend

jlm8695 wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:

http://www.ezyhd-cables.com.au/
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

jlm8695 wrote:
afromanGT wrote:
jlm8695 wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:

Sure the build quality might not be as great, but I'm yet to see evidence that there is actually a difference in quality. Only thing I've seen is a marginal ( only being able to tell by stats, not in use)was a colour increase in a cable that was worth over $100.

Also at $1.50, who cares if it breaks :)

There's marked difference between the varied alloys of connectors.

I love the way this is coming from the same guy who vehemently defended the qualities of Blu-Ray.

A few months back Zimbos mentioned V-Moda headphones. CAn confirm the quality is awesome if anyone's in the market for headphones.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search