Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club

Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club

Author
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators

Sooner rather than later we are going to have a team in Western Sydney, I thought it might be a good idea to a start a team thread for the club now as a central point for thoughts discussion and news etc...so we can see the process evolve succesfully for the last time ...in Western Sydney anyway.

Edited by Joffa: 19/6/2012 07:34:05 AM

Added logo - martyB

Edited by martyB: 26/6/2012 02:14:32 AM
Edited
8 Years Ago by Joffa
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
We've sorely missed a thread like this, there is no where near enough discussion on Western Sydney
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

You're just a bunch.
You're just a bunch.
You're just a bunch of wifebeaters.
You're just a bunch of wifebeaters.
you're just a bunch of wifebeaters.

To the tune of "Oh when Sydney goes marching in: ;)

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Liverpool FC
asanchez
asanchez
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

West Sydney Athletic is my pick.
Play out of Parramatta Stadium. ANZ may offer the new Sydney side a cracking deal, but it won't look good in an empty stadium with no atmostphere.
As for colours, I've seen heaps of red, white and black, but I reckon a Celtic type green and white hoops would also work well. There's not enough green in the A-league.
Whatever happens with this club, name, colours ect, I just hope they're not rushed in for next season.
I think if everything's done properly, they could potentially become another Victory in terms of crowds and support.

williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

asanchez wrote:
I've seen heaps of red, white and black, but I reckon a Celtic type green and white hoops would also work well. There's not enough green in the A-league.

Sydney Celtics?
it was the AFL's idea back a few years ago to have a second sydney side wearing those green hoops.

T3X8
T3X8
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Joffa wrote:
Sooner rather than later we are going to have a team in Western Sydney, I thought it might be a good idea to a start a team thread for the club now as a central point for thoughts discussion and news etc...so we can see the process evolve succesfully for the last time ...in Western Sydney anyway.

Edited by Joffa: 25/2/2012 05:08:37 PM

I love Western Sydney Football Club as the name.

Just like that, no abbreviation to 'FC' or addition of an animal name like 'mammoths'.

A very traditional crest, no basketball logos, and you have the making of great team already.

Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

T3X8 wrote:
Joffa wrote:

Just like that, no abbreviation to 'FC' or addition of an animal name like 'mammoths'.

A very traditional crest, no basketball logos, and you have the making of great team already.

That would be my choice as well, as for colours, what about black and white stripes as the home kit.
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Sydney Sounders

But really I would love West Sydney Wanderers. My dedication to the Mariners will be tested when the West Sydney team come in. May have to pull an Ajohn
T3X8
T3X8
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

williamn wrote:
asanchez wrote:
I've seen heaps of red, white and black, but I reckon a Celtic type green and white hoops would also work well. There's not enough green in the A-league.

Sydney Celtics?
it was the AFL's idea back a few years ago to have a second sydney side wearing those green hoops.

I think green is out of the question, you have tasmania and canberra who both want to use that as their colour, and of course the Fury too, if they are ever revived.

Personally I reckon they should go blue and white like QPR or black and white like Inter.

I love the QPR logo too, they should do something similar.

T3X8
T3X8
Semi-Pro

Joffa wrote:
T3X8 wrote:
Joffa wrote:

That would be my choice as well, as for colours, what about black and white stripes as the home kit.

I don't mind that idea actually. Like Juve or Newcastle with only that little touch of colour.

williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

i would hope for either, something similar to bayer leverkuson or ac milan. i will find it hard to adapt if, after all this time, the colours are no longer the red/white/black we are now expecting
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Black/Red vertical.
roos2010
roos2010
Rising Star
Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)

Joffa wrote:
T3X8 wrote:
Joffa wrote:

Joffa, I was thinking black and white, too. Only have a sash instead of stripes, like Vasco Da Gama in Brazil.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6046/5903478714_342a932a0b.jpg

The predominantly black strip could be the home shirt, with the white one for away.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

roos2010 wrote:
Joffa wrote:
T3X8 wrote:
Joffa wrote:

Joffa, I was thinking black and white, too. Only have a sash instead of stripes, like Vasco Da Gama in Brazil.

The predominantly black strip could be the home shirt, with the white one for away.

A sash would be a nice variation, the Heart use a sash for their away top, but there would be room for another I think.
roos2010
roos2010
Rising Star
Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)

Joffa wrote:
roos2010 wrote:
Joffa wrote:
T3X8 wrote:
Joffa wrote:

A sash would be a nice variation, the Heart use a sash for their away top, but there would be room for another I think.

And remember, Newcastle have black and white stripes for their away shirt.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

roos2010 wrote:
Joffa wrote:
roos2010 wrote:
Joffa wrote:
T3X8 wrote:
Joffa wrote:

And remember, Newcastle have black and white stripes for their away shirt.

True.
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

never really seen a team with a horizontal hoop on their kits. but they gotta get the colours right first
mltezr
mltezr
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

name: cant be rovers, as that is tarnished.
personally, i perfer western sydney, or west sydney in the name
western sydney wanderers would be my pick
colour: i think the rovers got this right. red, black and white

stadium: now this is the million dollar question (nearly literally)
you save a fair bit of money by playing out of ANZ, according to tanner they are saving a minimun $450 000 a season by playing out of ANZ.
HOWEVER: the clear majority dont want this. It's not just about the numbers though. Its about the brand on and off the park and what it stands for and I dont think playing out of ANZ does this.
Parra staduim would be perfect.
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

mltezr wrote:

you save a fair bit of money by playing out of ANZ, according to tanner they are saving a minimun $450 000 a season by playing out of ANZ.
HOWEVER: the clear majority dont want this. It's not just about the numbers though. Its about the brand on and off the park and what it stands for and I dont think playing out of ANZ does this.

I would say Parra, play out of ANZ for the derbies (which even then will be interesting to see how many rock up), and then play maybe 2 games a season at the grounds of Penrith, Campbelltown and Belmore to keep the Wanderers tag relevant?

Wouldn't want it to be a travelling circus, but something similar to what the Nix do would be nice
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

blegh im sick of red already
roos2010
roos2010
Rising Star

HeyItsRobbie wrote:

Exactly. We already have a good representation of red in the competition - with Adelaide, Melbourne Heart, and Newcastle.
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Parramatta for me. But I think games should be taken to Campbelltown and Penrith on occasions.

As for the name. I don't really mind what they go with but it has to be a football name, none of this Roar, Fury, Jets etc. Praying they get the name right.

Colours, spot on mltezr, has to be red, black and white. I think a kit like Milan or Flamengo would do nicely.
roos2010
roos2010
Rising Star

RedshirtWilly wrote:
mltezr wrote:

I would say Parra, play out of ANZ for the derbies (which even then will be interesting to see how many rock up), and then play maybe 2 games a season at the grounds of Penrith, Campbelltown and Belmore to keep the Wanderers tag relevant?

Wouldn't want it to be a travelling circus, but something similar to what the Nix do would be nice

Agree with everything you said, except the bit about the derbies. I'd much rather see Parra Stadium bursting at the seams with 20,000 or so, than a sparsely-populated ANZ with, say, 25,000. A much, much better atmosphere. And call me a pessimist, but I don't think they'd get more than 20,000 for a derby in the first season.

Edited by roos2010: 25/2/2012 09:17:59 PM
bomberboy
bomberboy
Amateur
Amateur (666 reputation)Amateur (666 reputation)Amateur (666 reputation)Amateur (666 reputation)Amateur (666 reputation)Amateur (666 reputation)Amateur (666 reputation)Amateur (666 reputation)Amateur (666 reputation)Amateur (666 reputation)Amateur (666 reputation)

RedKat wrote:
roos2010 wrote:
HeyItsRobbie wrote:

Exactly. We already have a good representation of red in the competition - with Adelaide, Melbourne Heart, and Newcastle.

Exactly.

I vote that their home kit should look like this (with logo and sponsors etc)

And play out of oxford st??

BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend

Yeh, a derby won't take off like Melbourne's did. But if a high quality, well known marquee player is signed, that will only help the Sydney market. I would say 20 - 25000 for the first season.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Colours definitely need to be black and red.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

And Parra would be perfect. I'd drive down from the Coast to watch the derbies :)
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class

roos2010 wrote:
RedshirtWilly wrote:
mltezr wrote:

Agree with everything you said, except the bit about the derbies. I'd much rather see Parra Stadium bursting at the seams with 20,000 or so, than a sparsely-populated ANZ with, say, 25,000. A much, much better atmosphere. And call me a pessimist, but I don't think they'd get more than 20,000 for a derby in the first season.

Edited by roos2010: 25/2/2012 09:17:59 PM

Yeh I know what you mean. Would be very ambitious, and with the Melbourne derbies attracting about 30k, the teams could just play out of their own home grounds... either way the Sydney derby would be a must see for me
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

play out of sydney olympic park athletic (18,000)

derby and finals played at ANZ, done.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search