Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club

Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club

Author
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
jas88 wrote:
play out of sydney olympic park athletic (18,000)

derby and finals played at ANZ, done.

It fails on at least 3 counts.

It is an oval.

It only has 5,000 seats. The rest is grassed mounds.

Its in the eastern half of Sydney.
xKINGTHINGx
xKINGTHINGx
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)

Get this team in.

Only if they wear the tyedye jersey
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

^

Plus the AFL have taken it over.
Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Do we already have an official Western Sydney team thread that was created 3 years ago?
You should search better Joffa instead of creating more threads :twisted: :P
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Erebus wrote:
Do we already have an official Western Sydney team thread that was created 3 years ago?
You should search better Joffa instead of creating more threads :twisted: :P

I found it, but it was so old it was in black and white and covered by two inches of dust.

:lol:
tribina
tribina
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

god bless ya Joffa...about time we get a thread going on this area.
Janan_T
Janan_T
Super Fan
Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)

I live in Adelaide and want a Western Adelaide team in A-League. I want local derby. SLU for win. Western Adelaide team can play at West Lake of carp.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Name must be traditional (none of this yankee crap) and not just sydney xyz. West Sydney FC, West Sydney Athletic FC or West Sydney Wanderers FC are winners.
I like the idea of green and white hoops but i think it would be best for all if they were just black and white (AC milan style).

Stadium should only be parramatta stadium and Homebush can get stuffed. None of this switching for finals and derbys crap, you should learn from victory supporters how shite it is going back to that dump at docklands after having a packed out aami park. Focus on filling 20 000 every week and build up an atmosphere and then lobby for a stadium expansion.

Viennese Vuck

thupercoach
thupercoach
World Class
World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)

NYL team for West Sydney next season.
Sirocco
Sirocco
Rising Star
Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)

macktheknife wrote:
^

Plus the AFL have taken it over.

The GWS Giants have taken over the Sydney Showground (renamed Skoda Stadium), the Athletic centre is a different venue.

Sirocco
Sirocco
Rising Star
Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)

melbourne_terrace wrote:
Name must be traditional (none of this yankee crap) and not just sydney xyz. West Sydney FC, West Sydney Athletic FC or West Sydney Wanderers FC are winners.

What like the Oakland Athletics and its previous incarnation as the Philadelphia Athletics ??? BTW they have been doing these nicknames in Australia for over a century as well you know.

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

Sirocco wrote:
melbourne_terrace wrote:

What like the Oakland Athletics and its previous incarnation as the Philadelphia Athletics ??? BTW they have been doing these nicknames in Australia for over a century as well you know.

By this i mean names like Roar, Fury, Glory, Power and and other horrible nicknames that the americans give to their teams. West sydney is the football heartland of the country. A lot of football people there don't follow the a-league for one reason or another and the quickest way to put them offside woud be to give them some crap 'non-football' franchise sounding name that would make just think 'why bother?'. Athletic has pedigree in football as there are many well known football teams like Athletic Bilbao, Atletico Madrid, Wigan Athletic and (previously) Celtic Athletic FC.

Viennese Vuck

Timmo
Timmo
Pro
Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)

melbourne_terrace wrote:
Sirocco wrote:
melbourne_terrace wrote:

By this i mean names like Roar, Fury, Glory, Power and and other horrible nicknames that the americans give to their teams. West sydney is the football heartland of the country. A lot of football people there don't follow the a-league for one reason or another and the quickest way to put them offside woud be to give them some crap 'non-football' franchise sounding name that would make just think 'why bother?'. Athletic has pedigree in football as there are many well known football teams like Athletic Bilbao, Atletico Madrid, Wigan Athletic and (previously) Celtic Athletic FC.

Tradition has a starting point and a beginning

Btw name an American team in MLB nfl NHL nba & MLS that has roar fury glory and power

I would rather west Sydney pick a name that reasonates with the region it represents rather than just throwing a random European/American moniker.

At least the last few expansion teams in seattle sounders, philadelphia union, Vancouver whitecaps & Portland timbers have names that reasonates with the supporters of these clubs and actually has meaning to the city they represent.

That is what west Sydney needs in its name whether the name is European/American influenced

If anyone is going to call themselves athletic it surely would be Canberra.
danp638
danp638
Rising Star
Rising Star (827 reputation)Rising Star (827 reputation)Rising Star (827 reputation)Rising Star (827 reputation)Rising Star (827 reputation)Rising Star (827 reputation)Rising Star (827 reputation)Rising Star (827 reputation)Rising Star (827 reputation)Rising Star (827 reputation)Rising Star (827 reputation)

Timmo wrote:

I would rather west Sydney pick a name that reasonates with the region it represents rather than just throwing a random European/American moniker.

At least the last few expansion teams in seattle sounders, philadelphia union, Vancouver whitecaps & Portland timbers have names that reasonates with the supporters of these clubs and actually has meaning to the city they represent.

That is what west Sydney needs in its name whether the name is European/American influenced

If anyone is going to call themselves athletic it surely would be Canberra.

What's this common sense, surely not.

What I find more offending is when a brand new team throws an existing moniker on its name to try and grab some history and tradition, that's built with time & is relevant because of what it means to the city / club it is attached too.

Just on roar, I always thought it was meant to be a link back to the Brisbane lions days, without getting into a shit fight with the AFL.
cgorac
cgorac
Amateur
Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)

I would like the name and support the name to be West Sydney Athletic FC. Rovers name has been tarnished and Wanderers i don't like either.
GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

LIVERPOOL FC
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Inter(national) Western Sydney Football Club

Edited by Joffa: 26/2/2012 01:26:43 PM
O Pondios
O Pondios
Amateur
Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)

Reflecting the overwhelming ethnic diversity of Sydney's West ,Sydney international FC sounds pretty inclusive.
O Pondios
O Pondios
Amateur
Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)Amateur (540 reputation)

Joffa wrote:

Sorry joffa you beat me to it
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

O Pondios wrote:
Joffa wrote:

Sorry joffa you beat me to it

That's okay mate, I like your idea better 'Sydney international FC'
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

I really dont like athletic to be the name chosen,i would much rather Wanderes.But overall if i had my way i'd just go with West Sydney FC.
Alot of people at the start were against Sydney FC doing so and though it wouldnt work but look at Sydney FC now,everyone is used to the name and it sounds alot more professional then names like the Roar,Fury,Glory ect ect.
To be honest i'd like West Sydney United.Sydney's west is a huge area with alot of different suburbs so by calling it 'United' it would make alot of sence as everyone unites to be the fans of the one club West Sydney United.
But would this cause any problems with Sydney United?
toffeeAU
toffeeAU
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

In regards to Sydney FC, i've always thought that since they seem to target only the eastern vicinity, and that their active support is called the 'Cove', that they should rename themselves 'Old Sydney Town' or something like that, just to establish a brand as the inner city club, the old firm etc.

As for WS, Wanderers is my pick. Namely because they would wander to Penrith and Campbelltown once a season. Play out of Parramatta. Red, white and black for colours.

Did anyone watch Reds v Waratahs last night? 32,700 odd were there, the top tiers were shut off, and it still looked as sparse as anything. Atmosphere was pretty subdued as well. WS would want to be getting 40,000+ for a derby to look any good on tv I reckon.
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

"Old Sydney Town" #-o

Apart from that sounding ridiculous and there being no reason for Sydney FC to change their name... it would alienate alot of fans if they marketed it as an inner city club. Not everyone in or around Sydney live in either West Sydney or anywhere near the inner city.
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Neanderthal wrote:
"Old Sydney Town" #-o

Apart from that sounding ridiculous and there being no reason for Sydney FC to change their name... it would alienate alot of fans if they marketed it as an inner city club. Not everyone in or around Sydney live in either West Sydney or anywhere near the inner city.

Exactly.
Sydney FC should keep thier name there is nothing wrong with it.
mltezr
mltezr
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

RedKat wrote:
[quote=toffeeAU] Sydney FC should market ourselves as the rich, superior eastern neighbours drinking our lattes whilst laughing at the bogan team out west :lol: .

i know your taking the piss but your right
this is why a western sydney team will benefit syd fc.
east vs west
rich vs poor
handbags vs bumbags :)
use the stereotypes to each clubs advantage.
cgorac
cgorac
Amateur
Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)

Janan_T wrote:
I live in Adelaide and want a Western Adelaide team in A-League. I want local derby. SLU for win. Western Adelaide team can play at West Lake of carp.

They can call the team West Adelaide City FC and it's got tradition to the name also being the old NSL team Adelaide City...

Edited by cgorac: 26/2/2012 07:46:21 PM
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

mltezr wrote:
RedKat wrote:
[quote=toffeeAU] Sydney FC should market ourselves as the rich, superior eastern neighbours drinking our lattes whilst laughing at the bogan team out west :lol: .

i know your taking the piss but your right
this is why a western sydney team will benefit syd fc.
east vs west
rich vs poor
handbags vs bumbags :)
use the stereotypes to each clubs advantage.

Exactly. Just like River Plate vs Boca Juniors and Celtic vs Rangers.
Rivalries are the best when the teams actually each represent different classes of people (even when they're stereotypes).
cgorac
cgorac
Amateur

thupercoach wrote:
NYL team for West Sydney next season.

I believe we should have 6 West Sydney teams bearing our A-Leauge Teams Logo and colours in the 6 western Districts football associations Bankstown Association,Granville Association, Macarthur,Southern Districts,Nepean District and Blacktown District from under 6's to all age as that can be the foundation of our club before we enter the comp in 2014/15 season. Where with this we are producing our own crop of juniors for our future team where we don't have to raid the likes of Bonnyrigg,Sydney United,Marconi,Blacktown etc...

Edited by cgorac: 26/2/2012 07:58:49 PM

Edited by cgorac: 26/2/2012 07:59:39 PM
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro

Thinking about it, that would be a fucking excellent way for them to market the Western Sydney team. Claiming to be the real peoples working class team. While we're the rich glamorous rivals. I'm excited for the hypothetical derby already :P
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

i vote on the "A-league First" white home shirt for the west sydney team :)

Edited by heyitsrobbie: 26/2/2012 09:26:37 PM
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search