Basketball Thread

Basketball Thread

Author
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
This is a thread for all Basketball Including the NBL, WNBL, Boomers, Opals and NBA. Please add this to the index.

Basketball Australia schedule

http://www.basketball.net.au/uploads/media/BA_Calendar_2012_-_2014_15_June_2012.pdf

[size=7]National Basketball League[/size]

[size=6]TV Coverage[/size]:One(Fridays) Ten(Sunday)

[size=6]Teams[/size]

Adelaide 36ers
Cairns Taipans
Melbourne Tigers
New Zealand Breakers
Perth Wildcats
Sydney Kings
Townsville Crocodiles
Wollongong Hawks

Expected to join in 2013-14
Brisbane Bullets
2nd Melbourne, possibly named Melbourne Camouflage

Other:
Newcastle
Wellington
Hobart
Canberra

[size=6]Season 2012-13 Schedule [/size] http://www1.nbl.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/_temp_/Documents/201213_NBL_Schedule_public.pdf

[size=6]Crowd Attendances:[/size]

Adelaide 36ers: 4954
Cairns Taipans: 4820
Gold Coast Blaze: 3337
Melbourne Tigers: 3234
New Zealand Breakers: 4277
Perth Wildcats: 4172
Sydney Kings: 5341
Townsville Crocodiles: 3560
Wollongong Hawks: 3401

Total: 4,318

Previous Season Attendances:

2010-11: 4114
2009-10: 3684
2008-09: 3490
2007-08: 3616
2006-07: 3672
2005-06: 3510
2004-05: 3746
2003-04: 3438
2002-03: 4238

[size=6]Current Champions[/size]: New Zealand Breakers

[size=6]TV Coverage[/size]:ABC1

[size=6]Teams:[/size]

Adelaide Lightning
Australian Institute of Sport
Bendigo Spirit
Bulleen Boomers
Canberra Capitals
Dandenong Rangers
Logan Thunder
Sydney Flames
Townsville Fire
West Coast Waves

[size=6]Current Champions[/size]: Dandenong Rangers

Edited by aussie4ever4: 9/10/2012 12:13:21 AM
Roarz
Roarz
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

...should not be in Australian Football.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

The Gold Coast saga continues:

Quote:
JAMES Harvey will never forget something his parents taught him: always stick up for your mates through good and bad.

That's why he is giving this interview. He doesn't need to.

The man who has been the face of the Gold Coast Blaze for five seasons will receive almost $26,000 of the $35,518 the club still owe him.

He doesn't do too badly out of it.

Some of his mates don't do so well.

It's why after a season during which the Blaze fell one game short of the grand final, Harvey believes it is his responsibility to lift the lid on that season -- a season of deception.

He knows he will cop some flak. That's why he has provided the Bulletin with every piece of financial documentation he has been sent by the Blaze.

In an explosive interview, Harvey revealed:

Several players have not been paid superannuation since April 2011;

The Blaze did not post a $1 million bank guarantee when they were granted a licence;

The Blaze knew they may have been going into administration before the season's end but did not tell the players;

Players received payments late because money was being transferred from overseas;

He was forced to have season-ending surgery.

"I want to talk about it. I will only talk about the facts because that's what I know to be true, I can't touch on the rumours. But someone needs to go hard, too many people have been hurt, " he said.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/06/19/425671_gold-coast-blaze.html

Boomers beat China 3-0 in the YouYi Games series.

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2501&tx_ttnews[backPid]=282&cHash=c2d6b5dc0f

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Roarz wrote:
...should not be in Australian Football.

My bad, mod move please.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Thanks for moving mystery mod.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Glory Recruit wrote:
Thanks for moving mystery mod.

;)
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Glory Recruit wrote:

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

paladisious wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:

lolol
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

Glory Recruit wrote:
paladisious wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:

lolol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Up the mighty Bullets. [-o<
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Former premier Keneally quits politics and becomes CEO of Basketball Australia

Quote:
Former NSW premier Kristina Keneally has confirmed she will quit politics at the end of the month to take up the job as head of Australian basketball.

In a statement issued early on Saturday morning Ms Keneally said it was time for a 'new phase in my life' after almost a decade in parliament, but added she did not take the decision to exit state politics lightly.

She will stand down as the member for Heffron in eastern Sydney on June 29 to take up the position of chief executive of Basketball Australia next month, she said.

'I will be forever grateful for the opportunity I was given to serve the community as premier and a minister,' Ms Keneally said in her statement.

'I am proud of the passion, determination and commitment that I was able to bring to my roles as local member, minister and premier.

'Even on the toughest days as premier, I always had the strength to get back up again and keep working for the people of NSW.'

The US-born MP led Labor to its worst ever defeat at the 2011 state elections, leaving the party with just 20 seats in the 93-seat Legislative Assembly.

Ms Keneally stepped down from Labor's frontbench following that defeat but vowed to serve out a full parliamentary term.

The 43-year-old served as planning minister and minister for ageing and disability in the Iemma and Rees governments, before being thrust into the top job just 15 months before last year's election.

Ms Keneally was a champion basketball player at high school, and was appointed to the board of Basketball Australia in December.

Speaking to branch members on Friday night, she did not rule out a return to politics like one of her recent Labor predecessors.

'You only need to look at the example of Bob Carr to see that people can and do return to politics in the future if they feel they can make a contribution,' News Ltd reported.

'I would never rule that out, but for the next decade of my life I imagine I'll be working in sports administration.'

In her statement she thanked her parliamentary colleagues and others in the Labor Party, aswell as her husband Ben and two sons Brendan and Daniel.

Ms Keneally said her resignation gave the embattled NSW Labor Party a chance to renew its parliamentary team.

'As premier, I put in place a determined push to renew the Labor Party's parliamentary ranks - that call for renewal applies to me just as much as it applies to anyone else,' she said.

'By stepping away now, I offer the ALP the chance to send the parliament a new and energetic member who can contribute to the next Labor government in NSW.'

News Ltd reported Labor's leader in the upper house, Luke Foley, could be parachuted in as a candidate for Heffron, but said former state Labor government adviser Michael Comninos is more likely to win a rank-and-file preselection.

Labor holds Heffron with a 7.8 per cent margin, and with the party polling at just 24 per cent of the primary vote in the latest Newspoll, and without the popular Ms Keneally standing, NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell will believe the coalition has a real chance of snatching the once safe ALP seat.

Basketball Australia board member Justin Milne - who headed the organisation's search for a CEO - said Ms Keneally presented a 'complete package'.

'(She) demonstrated leadership skills, strong understanding of community, government and the private sector, and excellent communication abilities,' he said in a statement.

'Her national profile, combined with her energy and her passion for the sport, will give basketball a significant boost in Australia.'

Mr Milne said Ms Keneally would take up the post of CEO from August 3.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2012/06/23/Former_premier_Keneally_quits_politics_763938.html
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Australia beat number 4 in the world Greece 87-60 infront of 10,000 people at Hicense Arena

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8488872
Nico
Nico
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

Glory Recruit wrote:
Australia beat number 4 in the world Greece 87-60 infront of 10,000 people at Hicense Arena

FIBA rankings are worse than FIFA rankings. There's no way I rate Greece in the top 10. Teams like Brazil and France are outside the top 10 and are real medal threats IMO
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Nico wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:

FIBA rankings are worse than FIFA rankings. There's no way I rate Greece in the top 10. Teams like Brazil and France are outside the top 10 and are real medal threats IMO

Many freindlys etc are played without full team squads so ya, France and Brazil have been climbing the rankings fast but.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Kristina Keneally talking about the future of the NBL.

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/BA-CEO---Kristina-Keneally/5034
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

The NBL is heading in the right direction.
New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Don’t we win your title these days?
thupercoach
thupercoach
World Class
World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)

Glory Recruit wrote:

I recorded and watched a bit of it the other day, we looked good. Gee Patty Mills is all class!

Does anyone know if Bogut is playing in the Olympics?
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

thupercoach wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:

I recorded and watched a bit of it the other day, we looked good. Gee Patty Mills is all class!

Does anyone know if Bogut is playing in the Olympics?

Nope, out with a ankle injury.
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Not a big basketball follower but I still remember that play-off last season between Cairns and NZ. Absolutely epic.

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

playmaker11 wrote:
Not a big basketball follower but I still remember that play-off last season between Cairns and NZ. Absolutely epic.

Whats the cairns sporting landscape like? NRL, AFL or NBL dominated?
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

Glory Recruit wrote:
playmaker11 wrote:

AFL :lol:

QLD is a big rugby state but I'm assuming Cairns gets behinds the Taipans as well.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:
playmaker11 wrote:

QLD is a big rugby state but I'm assuming Cairns gets behinds the Taipans as well.

Actually ive always heard that Cairns is into AFL:S
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

Glory Recruit wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:
playmaker11 wrote:

Actually ive always heard that Cairns is into AFL:S

Well i'm from Brissie so I'm not so sure but Jonathan Brown once said in the last ten years the AFL has made the back page on the CM 4 times. 3 times for the Lions GF's and once for Karmichael Hunt.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/2012/07/03/coach-admits-blaze-likely-to-fold/

Gold Coast Blaze likely to fold suffered same problem as GCU, a bad owner and low-ish crowds. NBL may have no team in south east queensland which is a major concern. Deadline is the 13th.

Melbourne Tigers have a new logo

Edited by glory recruit: 3/7/2012 10:20:14 PM
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

Well that sucks, thought they were getting decent crowds. I also preferred the old tigers logo.
Nico
Nico
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

Some crazy business going on in NBA trade talk. Deron Williams commits to a 5 year deal with the Nets, talk of Nash to Lakers and the whole Dwight Howard saga. For me perhaps the most interesting move would be Allen going to Heat. Would surely trade in some $$$ for another shot at a title. Not sure I'd like to see one of my favourite ever NBA players go to Miami, but would be nice to see him win another Championship.

Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

We hyave an NBA thread mico :P

Joe Johnson has signed with the Nets as well hasn't he?

Wouldn't begrudge Nash if he left us for a shot at the title. He deserves it. Fantastic player, great guy whose been one of the best Phoenix players in history. Would love to see him win a ring, and I highly doubt we'll be challenging for one for a while.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Boomers r on tonight against Russia in china, will also play Tunisia and china here's schedule

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2012/july/blanchfield-named-to-stankovic-cup-team/

Edited by glory recruit: 6/7/2012 04:47:21 PM
thupercoach
thupercoach
World Class
World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)

Glory Recruit wrote:
Boomers r on tonight against Russia in china, will also play Tunisia and china here's schedule

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2012/july/blanchfield-named-to-stankovic-cup-team/

Watched the game this morning, we looked very good beating the Russians. Were these fringe players from both sides trying to make the Olympic team? Very impressed with that Jason Caddy (sp?) guard, best from either side I thought.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

thupercoach wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:

Watched the game this morning, we looked very good beating the Russians. Were these fringe players from both sides trying to make the Olympic team? Very impressed with that Jason Caddy (sp?) guard, best from either side I thought.

It was a Youth team i believe, most play in the US college and NBL teams.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search