Season 2014/15 Membership thread

Season 2014/15 Membership thread

Author
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
13% increase seams to put us on track for around 107k memberships just short of target

if this transfers to crowd figures which is no gaurantee we will be at 14.7k which i believe will be our best average

growth centres would be brisbane, adelaide, melbourne city and wsw if they get the buy back scheme for members who cant attend working effectively
Edited
8 Years Ago by grazorblade
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Capt. Awesome wrote:
What a load of dribble!!!

WSW need to lift their game.
For the Mariners to have 4300 members is great for a base of only 300,000

WSW have a base catchment of at least 2,000,000 you guys should have at least 28,000 members. Not even Victory has that many.

Get a grip and stick to the facts.

You are right. Victory don't have that many. And according to your logic they should have at least 56,000 members by now

I must say as an MV fan, I envy Central Coast and their 4,000 or so members. They are clearly the benchmark club

Edited
8 Years Ago by bluebird
Schultzy
Schultzy
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

grazorblade wrote:
has anyone else got a chance to reach 20k? maybe in 5 years

maybe in next 2 years for wsw when parra is 25k?
Edited
8 Years Ago by Schultzy
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Schultzy wrote:
grazorblade wrote:
has anyone else got a chance to reach 20k? maybe in 5 years

maybe in next 2 years for wsw when parra is 25k?

Lets not forget, Melbourne has a greater membership culture (this is a good thing) then Sydney.
Edited
8 Years Ago by robbos
Capt. Awesome
Capt. Awesome
Super Fan
Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)

bluebird wrote:
Capt. Awesome wrote:
What a load of dribble!!!

WSW need to lift their game.
For the Mariners to have 4300 members is great for a base of only 300,000

WSW have a base catchment of at least 2,000,000 you guys should have at least 28,000 members. Not even Victory has that many.

Get a grip and stick to the facts.

You are right. Victory don't have that many. And according to your logic they should have at least 56,000 members by now

I must say as an MV fan, I envy Central Coast and their 4,000 or so members. They are clearly the benchmark club

Victory do a great job but they have an advantage of a large base to draw from. I'm not trying to put any other club down for their membership numbers I'm just illustrating that people seem to think the Mariners should have have similar numbers to large clubs. If people can't see the difference it's just plain stupidity.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Capt. Awesome
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Capt. Awesome wrote:
Victory do a great job but they have an advantage of a large base to draw from. I'm not trying to put any other club down for their membership numbers I'm just illustrating that people seem to think the Mariners should have have similar numbers to large clubs. If people can't see the difference it's just plain stupidity.

Population is an advantage but it is not the only factor

Its not the total number of people, but its the total number of people interested in the Australian national football league that can identify with the team willing to purchase a season ticket

If population was a determining factor then Central Coast would be playing in a stadium 15% the size of West Sydney. Yet they are pretty much the same size

The may be hundreds of thousands of population difference between some cities yet you see similar sized stadia across the board - not just here but abroad

Mariners have the advantage of being a community club, and very little professional alternative. And their direct catchment might be 300k but they were established as a club to capitalise on other regions. Otherwise as a business model it would have been turned down

Edited
8 Years Ago by bluebird
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Small clubs are integral to any football comp. Who doesnt enjoy seeing a small contingent of loyal fans that come together every week to support their club. Would rather see empty seats on the coast than a full house wanking of Villa.

Edited
8 Years Ago by TheSelectFew
jparraga
jparraga
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

Quote:
And their direct catchment might be 300k but they were established as a club to capitalise on other regions

Not really, no, north is SFC/WSW, south is NUJ east is Pacific Ocean and there is nobody west.

Population really is the key determining factor and CCM do okay considering. Only issue I see is that despite continual success they show little to no growth.
Edited
8 Years Ago by jparraga
bluebird
bluebird
Legend

jparraga wrote:
Only issue I see is that despite continual success they show little to no growth.

If (in your opinion) population is the key factor then why are you surprised? Little to no change in population = little to no change in growth

You shouldn't see it as an issue

Edited
8 Years Ago by bluebird
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

TheSelectFew wrote:
Small clubs are integral to any football comp. Who doesnt enjoy seeing a small contingent of loyal fans that come together every week to support their club. Would rather see empty seats on the coast than a full house wanking of Villa.

What??? Nah you're right. Let's keep our comp provincial with minimal broad interest...

NSL version 2 perhaps?? No thanks.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Davo1985
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

jparraga wrote:
Quote:
And their direct catchment might be 300k but they were established as a club to capitalise on other regions

Not really, no, north is SFC/WSW, south is NUJ east is Pacific Ocean and there is nobody west.

Population really is the key determining factor and CCM do okay considering. Only issue I see is that despite continual success they show little to no growth.

Central Coast Mariners will probably always struggle. Their catchment area is too small.

Their only chance is of longevity will be through the setup of other teams in larger cities. Just as it is at the moment if it wasn't for the other clubs in the league that have much bigger followings/viewers, the broadcast deal would stagnate or remain small, as a consequence less money would come into the FFA coffers to offer all the clubs. This would in the end impact clubs such as the Mariners more than bigger city teams. If I was on the board of the Central Coast Mariners, i would welcome new clubs being setup in large catchment areas.

Edited by Davo1985: 3/10/2014 12:19:44 PM
Edited
8 Years Ago by Davo1985
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Davo1985 wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

What??? Nah you're right. Let's keep our comp provincial with minimal broad interest...

:?
Edited
8 Years Ago by jlm8695
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Davo1985 wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

I ... i... I just don't know where to begin with this. I just can't believe what I just read.

Absolutely amazing.

Edited
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Melbourne member

Edited
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

bluebird wrote:
jparraga wrote:
Only issue I see is that despite continual success they show little to no growth.

If (in your opinion) population is the key factor then why are you surprised? Little to no change in population = little to no change in growth

You shouldn't see it as an issue

What if everyone in Echuca loved the shit out of football. A consistent 12k supporters.

Edited
bluebird
bluebird
Legend

TheSelectFew wrote:
What if everyone in Echuca loved the shit out of football. A consistent 12k supporters.

Which is about $2mil in revenue

Given the cost of A League clubs are about $7.5mil and the FFA are only going to chip in $2mil that means Echuca would need to find $3.5mil in corporate backing every year for the duration of the competition. And this will only increase as the competition continues

As I said time and time again in another thread - attendances do not pay for professional football clubs

Edited
8 Years Ago by bluebird
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

bluebird wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

Which is about $2mil in revenue

Given the cost of A League clubs are about $7.5mil and the FFA are only going to chip in $2mil that means Echuca would need to find $3.5mil in corporate backing every year for the duration of the competition. And this will only increase as the competition continues

As I said time and time again in another thread - attendances do not pay for professional football clubs

I completely agree

[size=8]BUT[/size]

In order to achieve maximum revenue from corporate sponsorship, it is much easier to sell your club with a fan base of 40k than it is to a club with 5k.

I am a fan of opening up outr league to promo/rele. The benefits severely outweigh.

Edited
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Adelaide United: 6,374
Brisbane Roar: 10,713
Central Coast Mariners: 4,313
Melbourne City: 8,421
Melbourne Victory: 20494
Newcastle Jets: 7,663
Perth Glory : 4,506
Sydney FC: 10,222
Wellington Phoenix: 3,105
Western Sydney Wanderers: 15,967

Edited
bluebird
bluebird
Legend

TheSelectFew wrote:
In order to achieve maximum revenue from corporate sponsorship, it is much easier to sell your club with a fan base of 40k than it is to a club with 5k.

I am a fan of opening up outr league to promo/rele. The benefits severely outweigh.

If you're talking about advertising revenue - which is what drives corporate backing and TV dollars - 40,000 people is not worth advertising towards. Nobody will pay $1m-$2m to advertise towards 40,000 people

A region like Central Coast, which has over 300,000, is too small for corporate backing (which is why they were targeting other areas in their initial bid).

The key to P/R, which I also heavily agree with, is to piggy back it on to the next TV deal and keep the costs small. A salary cap of $1m plus match day costs means each club is about $2m. If the league itself gets corporate backing then each club may only need $500k of revenue to stay afloat (shirt sponsor and merchandise)

At the time P/R occurs the TV deal will be about $5mil per club which means clubs will be able to exist purely off the TV deal and league sponsorship alone. Wellington has said this is almost the case today

In truth any club could be a part of the league. Even Echuca. But regions will need to be picked more strategically. Its one thing to just give a club to a region and pay for it forever and a day, and another to give a club to a region and have them bring you money

Mariners, NQF, and some of the older NSL teams are perfect Div 2 candidates

Edited
8 Years Ago by bluebird
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

bluebird wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

If you're talking about advertising revenue - which is what drives corporate backing and TV dollars - 40,000 people is not worth advertising towards. Nobody will pay $1m-$2m to advertise towards 40,000 people

A region like Central Coast, which has over 300,000, is too small for corporate backing (which is why they were targeting other areas in their initial bid).

The key to P/R, which I also heavily agree with, is to piggy back it on to the next TV deal and keep the costs small. A salary cap of $1m plus match day costs means each club is about $2m. If the league itself gets corporate backing then each club may only need $500k of revenue to stay afloat (shirt sponsor and merchandise)

At the time P/R occurs the TV deal will be about $5mil per club which means clubs will be able to exist purely off the TV deal and league sponsorship alone. Wellington has said this is almost the case today

In truth any club could be a part of the league. Even Echuca. But regions will need to be picked more strategically. Its one thing to just give a club to a region and pay for it forever and a day, and another to give a club to a region and have them bring you money

A fox football channel will go well. \:d/

Edited
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Wanderers has arranged a reallocation of seating at Pirtek which has freed up more seats to be available to the public. A limited number of these extra seats are on sale today to the general public.

As of now Wanderers ticketed membership is 16,211.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Gyfox
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Biggest ever year for football.

Edited
jparraga
jparraga
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

bluebird wrote:
jparraga wrote:

Success should entice more people to attend? i.e. entice people who are unsure about football to attend (see brisbane roar). Not expecting dramatic increase, just should see steady growth
Edited
8 Years Ago by jparraga
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

bluebird wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

Sponsorship is not based purely on the support base of the team in question.CCM may have a relatively small population,but a sponsor that has a national or international presence get's national exposure based on TV viewers much more than local community attendance or awareness.
A successful small team can be a good value proposition for any sponsor.It really comes down to marketing ability of the club to get the bigger sponsors.
The bottom line is smaller clubs can get decent revenue if run by good business people.
Edited
8 Years Ago by crimsoncrusoe
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

TheSelectFew wrote:
Davo1985 wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

I ... i... I just don't know where to begin with this. I just can't believe what I just read.

Absolutely amazing.

You would rather see small crowds that are "loyal" over large crowds filling stadiums that are made up of loyal as well as casuals.

Why would u ever want to see empty seats.. that's just dumb.

Edited by Davo1985: 3/10/2014 03:23:13 PM
Edited
8 Years Ago by Davo1985
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Davo1985 wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:
Davo1985 wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

Absolutely amazing.

You would rather see small crowds that are "loyal" over large crowds filling stadiums that are made up of loyal as well as casuals.

Why would u ever want to see empty seats.. that's just dumb.

Edited by Davo1985: 3/10/2014 03:23:13 PM

Please. Where did I say that? I just said I prefer a CCM crowd than a City crowd. Don't tear up.

Edited
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

TheSelectFew wrote:

I agree!!!!
Edited
8 Years Ago by robbos
Victory>Heart
Victory>Heart
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

16,476 for the Wanderers.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Victory>Heart
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

robbos wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

I agree!!!!

So many things going and so many reasons to be happy.

Edited
MCMH
MCMH
Hacker
Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)

8556 For City
Edited
8 Years Ago by MCMH
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search