World Cup 2014: Pupils told to put exams before football

World Cup 2014: Pupils told to put exams before football

Author
ramrod
Hacker
Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Pupils sitting exams have been warned not to score an “own goal” by staying up into the early hours to watch World Cup matches the night before they sit GCSEs and A-levels.

England’s World Cup campaign begins on Saturday with a match against Italy that kicks off at 11pm, and other major games involving teams such as Argentina and Portugal do not finish until 12.45am on exam nights.

George Turnbull, of the Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors, who is often referred to as the “exams doctor”, warned students it is more important to “win” their exams than fall into the trap of watching too much live football.

He said: “Staying up late the night before an exam is simply scoring an own goal I’m afraid.

“Now is the time to be disciplined, and there’s no reason students can’t record matches to watch later when they have some relaxation time in their schedule.

“What they shouldn’t do is mix their study time with their relaxation time, which I know is easier said than done.”

On Thursday, June 19 England play Uruguay in an 8pm kick-off, the night before A-level exams in biology and GCSE papers in Maths, Latin and Greek.

Other tempting late-night matches include Argentina v Bosnia and Herzegovina at 11pm on June 15, the night before GCSEs in maths, geography, biology, chemistry and history and A-levels in maths and geography.

Portugal, with star player Cristiano Ronaldo, play USA at 11pm on June 22, the night before maths A-level and science GCSE papers.

But the good news is that almost all GCSE and A-level exams finish on or before June 24, meaning most students will be home in time to watch England’s final group game, against Costa Rica, which kicks off at 5pm that day.

It also means that if England qualify for the knockout stages of the tournament, teenagers will be free to watch as much football as they want without having to worry about exams.

Mr Turnbull said: “The fact is that there will be another World Cup in four years’ time, and many current A-level students will have finished their university degree by then, so they will be able to watch the next one without any exams getting in the way.

“Exams are really more important than watching football, and they are not going to gain anything from watching the World Cup apart from a couple of hours of pleasure.”

Although the timing of World Cup games is awkward for exam candidates, the time difference between the UK and Brazil does at least mean that all of the games are evening kick-offs, which will be welcome news for employers.

During the last World Cup, in South Africa in 2010, productivity was hit by the large number of afternoon kick-offs, including England’s crucial final group game against Slovenia, which started at 3pm on a Wednesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10887125/World-Cup-2014-Pupils-told-to-put-exams-before-football.html
ramrod
ramrod
Hacker
Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)Hacker (310 reputation)

For those of us still at uni - or even those with school/work commitments - this is going to be tough.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

First exam is tuesday, i'm going nocturnal for these games anyway.

Viennese Vuck

c3024446
c3024446
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)Hardcore Fan (223 reputation)

Cry me a river England. Except for the magic of 2002, we are used to this. 2022 move from Qatar to our Timezone please.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

lol fuck dat, WC only comes round every 4 years, can always repeat something you failed.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

tbitm
tbitm
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Lol nah, I'm still watching. It sucks that aus and the u.s both play their openers on days I have my most important exams. But hey, maybe I don't get great marks this semester. P's get degrees.

But after that, I'll be nocturnal.
thupercoach
thupercoach
World Class
World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
lol fuck dat, WC only comes round every 4 years, can always repeat something you failed.

-PB
That's the spirit. :lol:
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

My final exam is on Thursday night. Opening ceremony and game is on Friday morning.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

ramrod
ramrod
Hacker

Heineken wrote:
My final exam is on Thursday night. Opening ceremony and game is on Friday morning.

Jel. Don't finish till the 24th. Grad applications in july, so kinda need good marks. I just wanna watch every game though.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

I dunno why they're that worried in England. One of their games is on the weekend and they're probably not going to make it out of the group.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Cancelled all my evening classes as the daily session starts here at 6pm. Might record some of the midnight games if I've got an early start the next day.
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Only got exams on Monday and Tuesday so I won't miss much
beast0114
beast0114
Under 7s
Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)

ramrod - 10 Jun 2014 10:20 AM
Pupils sitting exams have been warned not to score an “own goal” by staying up into the early hours to watch World Cup matches the night before they sit GCSEs and A-levels.

England’s World Cup campaign begins on Saturday with a match against Italy that kicks off at 11pm, and other major games involving teams such as Argentina and Portugal do not finish until 12.45am on exam nights.

George Turnbull, of the Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors, who is often referred to as the “exams doctor”, warned students it is more important to “win” their exams than fall into the trap of watching too much live football.

He said: “Staying up late the night before an exam is simply scoring an own goal I’m afraid.

“Now is the time to be disciplined, and there’s no reason students can’t record matches to watch later when they have some relaxation time in their schedule.

“What they shouldn’t do is mix their study time with their relaxation time, which I know is easier said than done.”

On Thursday, June 19 England play Uruguay in an 8pm kick-off, the night before A-level exams in biology and GCSE papers in Maths, Latin and Greek.

Other tempting late-night matches include Argentina v Bosnia and Herzegovina at 11pm on June 15, the night before GCSEs in maths, geography, biology, chemistry and history and A-levels in maths and geography.

Portugal, with star player Cristiano Ronaldo, play USA at 11pm on June 22, the night before maths A-level and science GCSE papers.

But the good news is that almost all GCSE and A-level exams finish on or before June 24, meaning most students will be home in time to watch England’s final group game, against Costa Rica, which kicks off at 5pm that day.

It also means that if England qualify for the knockout stages of the tournament, teenagers will be free to watch as much football as they want without having to worry about exams.

Mr Turnbull said: “The fact is that there will be another World Cup in four years’ time, and many current A-level students will have finished their university degree by then, so they will be able to watch the next one without any exams getting in the way.

“Exams are really more important than watching football, and they are not going to gain anything from watching the World Cup apart from a couple of hours of pleasure.”

Although the timing of World Cup games is awkward for exam candidates, the time difference between the UK and Brazil does at least mean that all of the games are evening kick-offs, which will be welcome news for employers.

During the last World Cup, in South Africa in 2010, productivity was hit by the large number of afternoon kick-offs, including England’s crucial final group game against Slovenia, which started at 3pm on a Wednesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10887125/World-Cup-2014-Pupils-told-to-put-exams-before-football.html
Oh, I remember that time. I, along with all my friends, watched football without stopping. The exam was due in two days. I am studying at the University in the Department of computer science. Actually, the theory was a little outdated and I didn't teach it anyway. I was very surprised when the guys from cciedump.spoto.net managed to help me pass this exam in just a few days. Thanks to their help, I stayed in the University and did not lose my budget place.

Edited
4 Years Ago by beast0114
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search