low centre of gravity

low centre of gravity

Author
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I do not know if SAP or the NTC teach body shape, but I have not seen our youngsters hunker down, to get a low centre of gravity. Look at Luis Figo, a master at deception and technique, but I think his body shape helped him and was something that came natural to him.
I must admit I didn't go far in football, mostly cricket. But as in batting, I see he has his head over the ball, creating a low centre of gravity and awareness, maybe I am wrong to ask, but does this not seem beneficial? The only time I see him not having his head over the ball/having a low centre of gravity is when he shoots, because body shape will effect how the ball moves after you strike it.
I will see if I can get some video footage of Messi, see if he does the same thing.
In cricket having your head over the ball is a simple thing to teach and I would hazard to guess in football it would be also.
Sorry for the half hearted, poorly thought through message, take it for what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9MPndexQWk&list=FLKt6XM3I4t2U5AsbTv4yh0A&index=5

Edited by moops: 6/9/2015 07:31:11 PM

Edited by moops: 6/9/2015 07:35:50 PM
moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

yes Messi does seem to have his head over the ball, not as exaggerated as Figo, but to me it is obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrmC5l-0RJM
krones3
krones3
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

moops wrote:
yes Messi does seem to have his head over the ball, not as exaggerated as Figo, but to me it is obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrmC5l-0RJM

Good point
seems to be a constant in all sports
moops
moops
Pro

It is a simple tenant in cricket (I did have a good coach) that leads to better technique, all one needs is to be aware of it. I learnt it in on week (with the occasional reminder), but as I say, I did not go so far in football, but I do see a correlation.

moops
moops
Pro

I see Rogic as an anomaly, his first touch more than not takes it away from his body (away from his head) and he brings it back, it is almost the opposite to Figo, but has become something natural to him.
moops
moops
Pro

Ronaldo does the same thing, more than not he is learning forward, putting his head over the ball, you can see the difference when he passes the ball and the receiver is leaning back and ends up loosing the ball.
There are times when he shifts his centre of gravity (not forwards or over the ball), but on the whole, you will see him over the ball, sometimes to extreme where he is trying to pass the ball behind himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WacSyOVMrRE
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
moops wrote:
I do not know if SAP or the NTC teach body shape, but I have not seen our youngsters hunker down, to get a low centre of gravity. Look at Luis Figo, a master at deception and technique, but I think his body shape helped him and was something that came natural to him.
I must admit I didn't go far in football, mostly cricket. But as in batting, I see he has his head over the ball, creating a low centre of gravity and awareness, maybe I am wrong to ask, but does this not seem beneficial? The only time I see him not having his head over the ball/having a low centre of gravity is when he shoots, because body shape will effect how the ball moves after you strike it.
I will see if I can get some video footage of Messi, see if he does the same thing.
In cricket having your head over the ball is a simple thing to teach and I would hazard to guess in football it would be also.
Sorry for the half hearted, poorly thought through message, take it for what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9MPndexQWk&list=FLKt6XM3I4t2U5AsbTv4yh0A&index=5

Massive part of the FFA NC.

We also had a Scottish TD in this state who coached it in the old days prior to 2005.

Not in terms of the 1-4-3-3 and its significance to diamonds and triangles though.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
moops wrote:
I see Rogic as an anomaly, his first touch more than not takes it away from his body (away from his head) and he brings it back, it is almost the opposite to Figo, but has become something natural to him.

All players in FFA NTC and SAP are coached to take first touches away from their body, trying to place their body in between the ball and their opponent.
moops
moops
Pro

Decentric wrote:
moops wrote:

Massive part of the FFA NC.

We also had a Scottish TD in this state who coached it in the old days prior to 2005.

Not in terms of the 1-4-3-3 and its significance to diamonds and triangles though.

Great to know, It's something that was never taught me in football (other than striking the ball) and seeing video's it seems prevalent in technique, also balance and strength, so I am happy it get's taught. Even look at videos of Maradona, he is more the Figo type who hunkers over the ball, it is a simple thing to teach, so I am glad it does.

Edited by moops: 6/9/2015 11:39:38 PM

Edited by moops: 7/9/2015 12:13:43 AM
moops
moops
Pro

Decentric wrote:
moops wrote:

All players in FFA NTC and SAP are coached to take first touches away from their body, trying to place their body in between the ball and their opponent.

Really, as much as Rogic does? Sometimes I see his first touch as a bit extreme, or a bit flashy when it could have been more efficient. It is my German coming out of me I guess.:o
moops
moops
Pro

The first play his body shape helps him in balance and strength.
At 9sec his body shape is leaning away from the ball (his head is not over it) and does not have control of it and has to make a toe poke pass.
20sec, he receives the ball and his body shape is good, his head over the ball and he goes forward at pace.
52sec is what I'm talking about his first touch (well maybe 3rd touch in this instance) taking the ball away from his body, be ends up off balance, head no where near the ball and gets a lucky pass off to the FB.
1min He receives the ball with good body position, though his first touch takes it away from him and makes things difficult. He brings it back, puts his head over the ball and with great technique, evades/bamboozles his defender.
1:07 he receives the ball and his first touch keeps his head over the ball, his body shape then is wrong, his technique the only thing helping him, then he regains body shape, head over the ball and wins a foul.
1:16 His body shape is great, pinching the ball, head over the ball and in control the whole time, getting into space and making a pass.
1:36 His head is over the ball when he pinches it.
1:42 Look how he receives the ball, head over the ball, his first touch is sublime, allowing him to go forward (head over the ball).
1:47 Is the type of first touch I don't like seeing, it is to far away from the body and makes him a giraffe for a second, but he has good technique and it's all sorted.
Rogic has great technique, but (and I am being very objective) sometimes his first touch is a bit wild and his body shape doesn't always help his technique, sometimes it hinders it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAcEao6rf-Q

Edited by moops: 7/9/2015 01:28:06 AM

Edited by moops: 7/9/2015 01:31:55 AM
moops
moops
Pro

Let's look at Mario Gotze. Unless running at pace, or striking the ball (which you 'may' need a different body shape depending on how you want the ball to move) his head is over the ball, look when he receives the ball and rounds his marker, his head is over the ball the whole time till he strikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueOrC-1VtOw
moops
moops
Pro

Toni Kroos is a consummate positional player, hardly flashy, but get's the job done(plus he has great vision). When he dribbles he is almost Ronaldo like, upright-leaning forward, the most important I think to control the ball, is to have your head over the ball.
Add to this discussion, I'm a smuck, so don't be hesitant, or maybe say I'm onto something , but back up yourself with evidence, as I have.
I think body position can enhance technique, or inhibit. As a striker it is a vital thing to learn, how a ball rises or dips and swerves. I don't think it is taken as an early development tool as much as it should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkjTOIzhzxk
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search