Dean Heffernan ABC interview on youth development

Dean Heffernan ABC interview on youth development

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Heff was on the ABC radio yesterday questioning the elite programs. He spoke very well.

Heff said he was never good enough for state rep teams in his underage years. He said he was a chubby, fat kid. Chippers  also made no rep teams.

At the same time Heff said that the NSW under 16 team, that he failed to make, had no players who went on to senior pro football.  He also said an English under 17 team who came second in the European champs a few years ago, had only 1 player who played senior pro football.

Heff is head coach of the CCM Academy.

Like Ange he wants to see thousands of players given the same opportunities for quality coaching given to supposedly identified elite players.

One thing I didn't like with the Dutch approach in Oz, was that players were identified as being elite at 10, then being given a different pathway to other players.

One other 442 forumite reading this, knows Ange personally. He said that Ange hates trials for elite programs too. Ange also wants thousands of players given the same opportunities as just a limited few are now.
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric - 31 Oct 2016 8:49 AM
Heff was on the ABC radio yesterday questioning the elite programs. He spoke very well.

Heff said he was never good enough for state rep teams in his underage years. He said he was a chubby, fat kid. Chippers  also made no rep teams.

At the same time Heff said that the NSW under 16 team, that he failed to make, had no players who went on to senior pro football.  He also said an English under 17 team who came second in the European champs a few years ago, had only 1 player who played senior pro football.

Like Ange he wants to see thousands of players given the same opportunities for quality coaching given to supposedly identified elite players.

One thing I didn't like with the Dutch approach in Oz, was that players were identified as being elite at 10, then being given a different pathway to other players.

One other 442 forumite reading this, knows Ange personally. He said that Ange hates trials for elite programs too. Ange also wants thousands of players given the same opportunities as just a limited few are now.

talent id is flawed the world over, even in the cash rich English setups,
even when a TD passes a course on talent id, they miss out on a player who goes onto national performance camp, but then isnt initially selected for regional camp by coaches from the same club as the the TD., luckily the national camp had been done in the season leading upto selection and not a trial based on BPO exercises.

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Decentric - 31 Oct 2016 8:49 AM

How much progress has been made in this area ? 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Talent ID has always been an issue in this country, which is why we don't identify the right talent some go overseas and some go missing in the lower tiers of the game and get lost to the game.

This is why the player pathways need to be expanded and open up to more opportunities for players to develop as professional players, therefore if a player misses out when they are young if the opportunity is there to still become a pro footballer through a different path to reach the top then they could still be motivated to go on that path/
Too many give up and lose motivation due to the current pathway model.

Right now there is 9 pro teams and with the NPL which is state wide there is no path to go to the top of the chain and so we will continue to miss out on talent with the same variables, then the ID process will always get flawed and probably will be still asking these question in the next 20 years.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Lets face the facts, the system will never be as some may wish for.
I'd dearly love to see a fairer system, trails not be as they are, russian roulette, and not what you know who you know.
Be it for those who can't afford it let alone for those who can.

Love Football

lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

If a-league clubs ran their own professional academies and scouted, competed for talent at every age level i'm sure the rest would take care of itself 
Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

On spreading the talent pool, he added: “Let’s give as many kids as we can, the right coaching. Let’s not just pick the best XI at under-9s through to under-12s. If I have a kid that wants to learn, I bring him in and teach him as much as I can.

“Maybe we should even do that until 14, or 15 or older.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/aleague-insider-heffernans-coaching-frustration-kruses-help-keoghs-good-company/news-story/914b59c9abc0d598170b6dafc0e8620d

Develop the General Pool and stop the fixation on Elite Player Development, start as early as possible and educate parents on simple player develop strategies.

If you brought out the Whole La Masia structure and implanted it here, their coaches and infrastructure etc,  would you still develop world beaters?

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Arthur - 16 Jan 2017 11:14 AM

On spreading the talent pool, he added: “Let’s give as many kids as we can, the right coaching. Let’s not just pick the best XI at under-9s through to under-12s. If I have a kid that wants to learn, I bring him in and teach him as much as I can.

“Maybe we should even do that until 14, or 15 or older.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/aleague-insider-heffernans-coaching-frustration-kruses-help-keoghs-good-company/news-story/914b59c9abc0d598170b6dafc0e8620d

Develop the General Pool and stop the fixation on Elite Player Development, start as early as possible and educate parents on simple player develop strategies.

If you brought out the Whole La Masia structure and implanted it here, their coaches and infrastructure etc,  would you still develop world beaters?

Heff is bang on the money with this comment. A very experienced long term coach I've spent a lot of time coaching with has always raised this elite pathway fixation.

He had a volatile relationship with FFA in this  state, but he was saying  the same as Heff, and I understand, Ange. He was also concerned about elite pathways. With little influence from more senior role models in club environments, some young players gain an inflated view of their own ability and self-importance.

I hate selection trials. Someone always misses out who may turn out to be a good long term prospect.
Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Decentric - 20 Jan 2017 11:27 AM
Arthur - 16 Jan 2017 11:14 AM

I hate selection trials. Someone always misses out who may turn out to be a good long term prospect.

Yes, this can occur when you've got NFI what you're looking for.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Judy Free - 21 Jan 2017 12:59 PM
Decentric - 20 Jan 2017 11:27 AM

Yes, this can occur when you've got NFI what you're looking for.

I have some great news, Chips Rafferty/Judy Free.

There is now a fabulous mute mechanism so that 442 posters can block obnoxious individuals,  deranged stalkers, trollers and degenerates like yourself and your acolyte, Gary Boulder/Heel Boo.

This is the last time I'll see you post on 442! So don't post on my account, I won't be able to see anything you post from now on!

Also, thanks for the heads up claiming I'm Brew. He is one of the top youth coaches in Oz and knows a lot more about about football than I do. Given you know so little about the contemporary game you can't tell the difference! LOL!

Anarchy Football is that away ^

Bye for good.
Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Just who are you kidding you senile old dope.........you are 100% "brew".

Activity search confirms this without equivocation.

"Brew" was also one of your multis on Walter Pless site, lol.

Why do you continue with your dishonesty, deceit and fraudulent ways in this football forum?

(feel free to answer the question, as I know you have read it, via one of your many live multis)
Edited
7 Years Ago by Judy Free
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Kevin Muscat has recently expressed the same opinion as Heff.
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Decentric - 22 Jan 2017 9:09 AM
Kevin Muscat has recently expressed the same opinion as Heff.

If "Brew" is such a brilliant coach, why doesn't he enlighten us all with a few informative posts?

All he done so far is state the bleeding obvious in very short sentences.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search