South Melbourne to launch A-League bid

South Melbourne to launch A-League bid

Author
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Look how many people have a view on this and how many comments south Melbourne in the a-league gets.

That just tells you one thing,,,they would be a perfect expansion side.

I personally like South and think they would be the best candidate by a long way.
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I don't know City would whinge too much.
Any lost fans to South would be made up for with 25k plus matches at these derbies as well.
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

City have Timmy and success, that will carve them out a place in a fickle town like Melbourne. SMFC will be a link to the NSL, it would be great to see Wollongong and/or the Strikers join them.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

South Melbourne would seem to tick all the boxes ,that havent yet been set.They are where the fish .They would give six new derbies.They have a clearly defined support base,even if this is also based on heritage.
The big thing against them would be City Group .If they were agreeable ,then ,they should come in .
Time will tell whether their ultras end up docking their team points.Either way their presence would provide a lot of new news.(the newest metric)
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 15 Nov 2016 11:35 AM
South Melbourne would seem to tick all the boxes ,that havent yet been set.They are where the fish .They would give six new derbies.They have a clearly defined support base,even if this is also based on heritage.The big thing against them would be City Group .If they were agreeable ,then ,they should come in .Time will tell whether their ultras end up docking their team points.Either way their presence would provide a lot of new news.(the newest metric)

SM is exactly what the FFA want. Self sustainable, have a fan base, would create massive interest in Melbourne causing more support of the sport in the city, would create 6 derbies which the TV people would love.
NuxLover
NuxLover
Hacker
Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Really think another NZ team deserves a spot before these guys. 
NuxLover
NuxLover
Hacker
Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)

City Sam - 15 Nov 2016 11:38 AM
crimsoncrusoe - 15 Nov 2016 11:35 AM

SM is exactly what the FFA want. Self sustainable, have a fan base, would create massive interest in Melbourne causing more support of the sport in the city, would create 6 derbies which the TV people would love.

They do bring trouble with them though, not necessarily them but Victory fans love to start fights with them.
sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

vincenzogold - 15 Nov 2016 10:56 AM
Look how many people have a view on this and how many comments south Melbourne in the a-league gets.

That just tells you one thing,,,they would be a perfect expansion side.

I personally like South and think they would be the best candidate by a long way.

I concur
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

NuxLover - 15 Nov 2016 11:43 AM
City Sam - 15 Nov 2016 11:38 AM

They do bring trouble with them though, not necessarily them but Victory fans love to start fights with them.

True they do, but if derby matches are properly policed like they should be it wouldn't be a problem.
SutherlandFan
SutherlandFan
Rising Star
Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)

great club and wish them all the best, was great hosting them in pre season last season.
Soft News
Soft News
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Benjamin - 15 Nov 2016 9:19 AM
Soft News - 14 Nov 2016 9:26 PM

Chen is an Australian - just like Papastergiadis, Giuliano and Thomson

Obviously she's from the very very very eastern most part of Greece. ;)

Really good to see South and Tasmania making loud noises, whilst the Strikers and Canberra are circling...  The more options the better for the FFA and for the game.  

Missed my point brother. Namely WHO is she, how did she make her fortune (I.e. Chinese investment in Aussie Real Estate causing discontent in the community) and why is South seeking Chinese funding for their bid.

Am I clearer now?

NuxLover
NuxLover
Hacker

City Sam - 15 Nov 2016 11:47 AM
NuxLover - 15 Nov 2016 11:43 AM

True they do, but if derby matches are properly policed like they should be it wouldn't be a problem.

True, I suppose its not like the FFA do anything anyway, threats and suspended sentences. 
BackFour
BackFour
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

To all those supporting SM's entry.
Would you be happy for FFA to allow entry on the basis that the HELLAS, HELLAS chant was banned?
Because I see this as the most obvious hurdle to SM proving they no longer have the mono cultural supporter base.
Edited
8 Years Ago by BackFour
Soft News
Soft News
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

NuxLover - 15 Nov 2016 11:42 AM

No money no honey. 
NuxLover
NuxLover
Hacker

Soft News - 15 Nov 2016 11:50 AM

No money no honey. 

More derbies though :D
Soft News
Soft News
Semi-Pro

NuxLover - 15 Nov 2016 11:52 AM

More derbies though :D

In Melbourne yes. Auckland v Wellington or Christchurch v Wellington is not a Derby. The common Aussie based soccer fan in the street has little care for the demands of the Kiwi Soccer Community, especially ehrn they try and intervene in the running of the A-League.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

South M will generate a lot of news.Plus this news will spread outside of Melb,when you consider each big city has its own Olympic football club and hence potential support for South M.
South M is a well know brand name ,so easy to promote.
Then there is the potential for old rivalries,like Perth Glory ,Newcastle and Strikers if they came in.
I think that Melb Heart/City has shown that bringing in a big city team with no geographical or demographic identity after an existing team already exists ,does not work.Future teams need something people can identify with.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ crimsoncrusoe

Spot on with that statement on "identity".
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

SMFC is an interesting case, in that it seems like the fans didn't also become fans of Victory or City when the HAL was introduced so I reckon Victory and City would see a minimal drop in fans (could be wrong here, just seems that way when you talk to SMFC fans). So there is definitely a large enough existing fan base that has been waiting patiently for a chance to return to national football.  If they are successful, I just hope the FFA are smart enough to allow them to keep their colours and branding. They have a large fan base with a long history, and to tell them they need to change their colours would be a big slap in the face. So what if Melbourne has 3 blue clubs, that's what away strips are for. I imagine the FFA may have some hangups about them being publicly perceived as an 'ethnic' club, but I think the FFA has started to realise that trying to re-invent the wheel with a brand new club sees a far slower turn around to overall profit than an existing wheel in perfectly good working order. 
Edited
8 Years Ago by someguyjc
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

BackFour - 15 Nov 2016 11:50 AM
To all those supporting SM's entry.
Would you be happy for FFA to allow entry on the basis that the HELLAS, HELLAS chant was banned?
Because I see this as the most obvious hurdle to SM proving they no longer have the mono cultural supporter base.

we have seen that ffa policies asking clubs to become more mainstreams do not work and only create anger. It is up to South Melbourne to do this themselves and for the FFA to determine if they have marketed themselves well enough to merit a spot in the national top flight.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

The bid was mentioned on radio 3aw during its news break and SEN this morning, bozza was on sen and backed the bid to come in immediately, surprisingly even the bogan hosts were upbeat about it, I'm shocked at how much traction this is gaining in the media down here and social media has lit up.

Don't think any other bid could possibly stir up this amount of emotion.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ Southmelb

It even got mentioned on news radio in Brisbane this morning. The FFA would be foolish to overlook this bid without good reason - as you say there is no other potential entrant that could create as much PR as South.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Go play in traffic

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Benjamin - 15 Nov 2016 9:19 AM

Missed my point brother. Namely WHO is she, how did she make her fortune (I.e. Chinese investment in Aussie Real Estate causing discontent in the community) and why is South seeking Chinese funding for their bid.

Am I clearer now?

Your paranoia is always clear...

She's an Australian citizen with a legitimately earned income...  If you want to go beyond that you have to ask the same questions about all of the owners.

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Unfortunately, no matter how good SMFC's bid is, the FFA wont let them back because this would then open the door to other effnik clubs and would threaten the return to the "bad old" NSL days of effnik violence & flares (as opposed to the much better stralylan flares and violence of the HAL).

Edited
8 Years Ago by AJF
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

southmelb - 15 Nov 2016 12:47 PM
 I'm shocked at how much traction this is gaining in the media down here and social media has lit up.Don't think any other bid could possibly stir up this amount of emotion.

What like the City Group one that was on multiple front page covers of newspapers and even had the Herald Sun cartoonists out?
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

AJF - 15 Nov 2016 1:37 PM
Unfortunately, no matter how good SMFC's bid is, the FFA wont let them back because this would then open the door to other effnik clubs and would threaten the return to the "bad old" NSL days of effnik violence & flares (as opposed to the much better stralylan flares and violence of the HAL).

What other ethnic club in Australia has the same amount of assets/benefits going for it as South Melbourne?

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

City group was a buyout of heart, I'm talking about an actual bid gaining traction, when the bid is made official at the end of the month it will definately hit the papers down here if today's reaction is anything to go by, will be interesting to see if it makes any of the evening news bulletins.
Soft News
Soft News
Semi-Pro

Benjamin - 15 Nov 2016 1:36 PM

Your paranoia is always clear...

She's an Australian citizen with a legitimately earned income...  If you want to go beyond that you have to ask the same questions about all of the owners.

And I might do that, thank you very much. Especially when South charges the kids 2000 per year to play there.
Soft News
Soft News
Semi-Pro

marconi101 - 15 Nov 2016 1:04 PM

Go play in traffic

X2
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search