Football issues participation challenge to rival codes

Author
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

A CONFIDENT Football Federation Australia boss David Gallop has sent a clear message to rival codes — “if you think football is big now, watch it grow even bigger”.

Gallop has upped the ante following the release of data from the Australian Sports Commission and exclusive data released to the Sunday Telegraph from an independent survey from Roy Morgan that shows football as the most participated sport - and with a clear margin.

The data highlights that children are important cogs in the growth of sports popularity.

Gallop beleives there’s a reason football is the market leader and he wants to ensure it remains at the top.

Through the code’s Whole of Football Plan, his vision was for soccer to become the largest and most popular sport in Australia by 2035.

NBL HAS BBL IN ITS SIGHTS

Football is often seen as a safer option for kids to get into sport.
“The contest is on in every schoolyard and park to attract boys and girls to our game,” Gallop told The Sunday Telegraph.

“Of course we know the other codes are competitors for hearts and minds. But we have the largest club-based participation of any sport by a wide margin because football is a very attractive option.

“Our focus is to continue to improve the quality of the experience for everyone in football, whether they are players or fans or club volunteers, spectators at Hyundai A-League or Westfield W-League matches.

“It means having more fans than any other code and it means having world class elite players.

“It is totally appropriate to set high goals and shoot for them but we don’t say that it is overnight but rather the work for the next few decades.”

While rival codes are exploring with rule changes and new competitions Gallop has reiterated that soccer is “safe, simple and skilful ….so it’s a very attractive option”.

Football’s appeal to women is also a huge boost for the game. Pic: Ian Svegovic.
Football he claims is fully focused on connecting the bottom of the pyramid to the elite top end.

This message has been pushed through this season’s A-League advertising campaign, “You’ve Gotta Have A Team”.

“Football is the highest club-based participation sport in Australia because, we believe it is the most inclusive,” he said.

“Everyone is welcome, regardless of age, gender, ability or background. And of course it’s also the biggest sport in the world and a great game to play.

“We are one year into a four-year plan and we are working very hard with our member federations and professional and community clubs to improve the quality of coaching and facilities.

“We also to expand the pathways for those who want to pursue a professional career.”

Young fan Yoshi was at the heart of the A-League marketing campaign. (Matt King/Getty Images)
Gallop believes the rise of the women’s game will play a crucial role in football achieving its long-term participation goals.

“The women’s game is an attractive game with clubs across the country and a professional league that has been going for nine seasons,” he said.

“We also have a highly successful national team in the Westfield Matildas and significant global sporting events namely the FIFA Women’s World Cup and Olympic Games as well as the AFC Women’s Asian Cup regionally.”

Football isn’t the only code in Australia aiming high. Basketball is enjoying a surge in popularity thanks to the closest NBL competition in 37 seasons.

Boss Larry Kestelman has ambitions for basketball to become the biggest form of entertainment in Australian sport.

“Every sport touts to be the most participated sport and I’m not going to be any different,” Kestelman said.

“From what we’re being told, when you combine participation across the board for 12 months a year I believe basketball is right up there with any sport. We want to be the No. 1 participated sport not only in Australia, but across Europe.

“The good thing though is that we don’t have to go toe-to-toe with football, league and AFL. We are a summer sport and we are comfortable with where we are at.”

Basketball is hoping to attract the next generation. Picture: Peter Cronin
Rugby league is also trying to attract new players to the game.

The NRL and the NSWRL have made significant changes to the rules in junior league in a bid to increase participation.

These rules include, no tackles above the armpits, no scrums and trialling weight-for- age competitions across NSW.

NRL Head of Football Brian Canavan said the aim was to provide the best experience for participants by increasing their involvement.

“The changes we have made to the under-6 and under-7 divisions, following five years of research which involved the University of Sydney, are primarily to ensure our young players are able to enjoy the game more,” Canavan said.

“By reducing the field size, reducing the number of players on the field, taking away conversions and quickening the turnarounds following tries, we will increase the ball-in-play time and also give our young players more opportunities to have a run with the ball.

“All players in a team will now have the opportunity to run the ball within a set.”

Rugby league remains hugely popular with young players.
Rugby League also trialled a weight-for-age program in 2016 aimed at increaseing teh safety of junior children.

Cricket has developed a plan for revised pitch lengths, boundary sizes and the option of playing Twenty20 in a bid to allow juniors to better develop their skills and become more involved.

The modifications to junior formats are part of a two-year project to revamp and align the Australian Cricket Pathway, introducing modern practices in skill development and coaching.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/football-issues-participation-challenge-to-rival-codes/news-story/3522f9edc7abe42633ac4575d3d5e672
UpRoar
UpRoar
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)

Soccer has been the sport that attracted the largest participation for the last half of century, yet only a minute portion of these players come to put their selective bums on the seats. For as long as the mainstream media retains the stranglehold on lopsided and biased sport exposure, the round ball will have the numbers but the eggball will have the crowds.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Sometimes Gallop should shut the fuck up.

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
UpRoar - 18 Dec 2016 9:08 AM
Soccer has been the sport that attracted the largest participation for the last half of century, yet only a minute portion of these players come to put their selective bums on the seats. For as long as the mainstream media retains the stranglehold on lopsided and biased sport exposure, the round ball will have the numbers but the eggball will have the crowds.

You mean as long as the lowy dictatorship and their puppets have a strangehold......

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Clearly it is a battle between soccer and basketball for the hearts and minds of all Australian kids.
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

"Football he claims is fully focused on connecting the bottom of the pyramid to the elite top end"

Oh no he fkn di-ent.

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

HortoMagiko - 18 Dec 2016 9:29 AM
UpRoar - 18 Dec 2016 9:08 AM

You mean as long as the lowy dictatorship and their puppets have a strangehold......

So when the NSL was at it's peak where were the crowds then?

Member since 2008.

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 18 Dec 2016 11:05 AM
HortoMagiko - 18 Dec 2016 9:29 AM

So when the NSL was at it's peak where were the crowds then?

What tge fuck has a defunct competition have to do with the hal? What a bizarre comparison to draw.... criticise a corrupt dictatorship and somehow i want an unsuccesful comp fraught with problems as my measuing stick? 

I suspect youre playing the lesser of two evils. 

Now ask yourself how much has that ratio of participants/engaged national top tier fans has shifted in 5, 10, 15 20, 30 years and then get back to me. 

Ange Postecoglou

Edited
8 Years Ago by HortoMagiko
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 18 Dec 2016 9:27 AM

Nah. It's deflection.
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

HortoMagiko - 18 Dec 2016 9:37 AM
"Football he claims is fully focused on connecting the bottom of the pyramid to the elite top end"

Oh no he fkn di-ent.

Spat out my drink reading that 
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

aufc_ole - 18 Dec 2016 11:31 AM
HortoMagiko - 18 Dec 2016 9:37 AM

Spat out my drink reading that 

😜

Ange Postecoglou

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Stop worrying about the other codes and worry about translating that participation into HAL supporters you numpty!
Swarth
Swarth
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

only sometimes?

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Gallop just stfu sometimes.I am sick of this code wars bs.
If we just concentrate on doing our own thing ,we will be fine.
Why does Gallop always want to be at war with everyone?
SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 18 Dec 2016 9:50 PM
Gallop just stfu sometimes.I am sick of this code wars bs.If we just concentrate on doing our own thing ,we will be fine.Why does Gallop always want to be at war with everyone?

LOL at shit responses in shit thread.  Should the basketball guy have shut up? Did he really say that the NBL was aiming at the BBL? And the Rugby League guy as well when he was asked should have said "sorry mate, we've nothing to say in our humble ascendancy"?
So when the press get some story together about participation following up a government agency release of data, our sport should tell them to "fuck off, go away, we're shy!"
I'm loving it whenever and wherever I see, hear and read a bold positive message from football.  For decades the message was negative, racist, boring and shameful.
Last week I was travelling and took in a couple of provincial newspapers.  Full page A League coverage in towns 1000km from the nearest team!  I want it to get bigger and I want it to never ever stop.

You laughable dickheads.  Grow and crow when you're in the light because the rabble will only throw coins to you when you've got the stage.  So sad for you to be embarrassed by the successes of the game in this country.  Find another sport you can whine about.

Poor old magic garden and his hatred of Lowy and Jews.  Sorry, but Lowy also was the guy who started the NSL.  He was bright enough to just let it go and build something better. That must have been hard for him. He's gone now.  Thanks Frank. 

Only notable thing in the story was the move by Rugby League and Cricket to look at the small sided fields concept.  They are watching and learning.

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

what's the bet if the TV deal is underwhelming he hangs his hat on this participation report being some sort of personal achievement of his
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

SWandP - 19 Dec 2016 9:26 AM
crimsoncrusoe - 18 Dec 2016 9:50 PM

LOL at shit responses in shit thread.  Should the basketball guy have shut up? Did he really say that the NBL was aiming at the BBL? And the Rugby League guy as well when he was asked should have said "sorry mate, we've nothing to say in our humble ascendancy"?
So when the press get some story together about participation following up a government agency release of data, our sport should tell them to "fuck off, go away, we're shy!"
I'm loving it whenever and wherever I see, hear and read a bold positive message from football.  For decades the message was negative, racist, boring and shameful.
Last week I was travelling and took in a couple of provincial newspapers.  Full page A League coverage in towns 1000km from the nearest team!  I want it to get bigger and I want it to never ever stop.

You laughable dickheads.  Grow and crow when you're in the light because the rabble will only throw coins to you when you've got the stage.  So sad for you to be embarrassed by the successes of the game in this country.  Find another sport you can whine about.

Poor old magic garden and his hatred of Lowy and Jews.  Sorry, but Lowy also was the guy who started the NSL.  He was bright enough to just let it go and build something better. That must have been hard for him. He's gone now.  Thanks Frank. 

Only notable thing in the story was the move by Rugby League and Cricket to look at the small sided fields concept.  They are watching and learning.

Hey all get a load of s "W" p playing the race card. (Well judaism is a religion and not a race)

Horto criticizes nepotism, he must therefore be anti semitic.

Why is it that when imbeciles cant counter an argument they resort to character assassination....

What have i ever said that is anti semitic? Its a big fking call so i demand a reply to this question. I respectfully ask you to come at me you pathetic lowlife. I dont take too kindly to outlandish and defamatory accusations.

The lowy nepotism is on show for all to see,  i will remain vocal about it until this corruption is fully acknowledged and rectified.

Now the topic here is "Participants : Engaged Hal Fans"
We're currently  at 18% enagagement of all participants. Its appauling. You can trumpet about a newspaper ffom the bush all you like but the hard data is there... 18%. I issue you tge same challenge as i did muz, ask yourself how much that 18% has ever shifted. An admin that is competant will flip that stat to 82%. Or at least  fking double it to 40%... When that happens ill take my hat off. Until then stop being a racist little turd and playing the race card.

And Like tsf just said, gallop will attempt to claim the participation number as some kind of feather in his hat, but the reality is, the more he talks about it, the more he is essentially  professing how incompetent the admin are that they have only engaged 18% of their potential market. He is drawing attention towards ffas own shortfalls. LOL. The participation number is testament to the world game - IT HAS ZERO TO DO WITH THE SUCCESS OF THE HAL, QUITE THE CONTRARY, AND IS MORE A DIRECT INDICATOR THAT THE HAL(FFA) HAS FAILED TO ENGAGE THE VERY PEOPLE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE ENGAGING. Thats why its funny/idiotic when gallop boasts about it.

Now run away quickly and lick gallops boots clean.

Ange Postecoglou

SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

HortoMagiko - 19 Dec 2016 10:32 AM
SWandP - 19 Dec 2016 9:26 AM

Hey all get a load of s "W" p playing the race card. (Well judaism is a religion and not a race)

Horto criticizes nepotism, he must therefore be anti semitic.

Why is it that when imbeciles cant counter an argument they resort to character assassination....

What have i ever said that is anti semitic? Its a big fking call so i demand a reply to this question. I respectfully ask you to come at me you pathetic lowlife. I dont take too kindly to outlandish and defamatory accusations.

The lowy nepotism is on show for all to see,  i will remain vocal about it until this corruption is fully acknowledged and rectified.

Now the topic here is "Participants : Engaged Hal Fans"
We're currently  at 18% enagagement of all participants. Its appauling. You can trumpet about a newspaper ffom the bush all you like but the hard data is there... 18%. I issue you tge same challenge as i did muz, ask yourself how much that 18% has ever shifted. An admin that is competant will flip that stat to 82%. Or at least  fking double it to 40%... When that happens ill take my hat off. Until then stop being a racist little turd and playing the race card.

And Like tsf just said, gallop will attempt to claim the participation number as some kind of feather in his hat, but the reality is, the more he talks about it, the more he is essentially  professing how incompetent the admin are that they have only engaged 18% of their potential market. He is drawing attention towards ffas own shortfalls. LOL. The participation number is testament to the world game - IT HAS ZERO TO DO WITH THE SUCCESS OF THE HAL, QUITE THE CONTRARY, AND IS MORE A DIRECT INDICATOR THAT THE HAL(FFA) HAS FAILED TO ENGAGE THE VERY PEOPLE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE ENGAGING. Thats why its funny/idiotic when gallop boasts about it.

Now run away quickly and lick gallops boots clean.

Roflmao.  Bigot!

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Had my kids school christmas bbq this evening. All those kids kicking footballs and no team to support. Such a waste.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

SWandP - 19 Dec 2016 5:05 PM
HortoMagiko - 19 Dec 2016 10:32 AM

Roflmao.  Bigot!

Shut up you idiot. 

And Everyone Blamed Clive
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

bigpoppa - 19 Dec 2016 6:40 PM
Had my kids school christmas bbq this evening. All those kids kicking footballs and no team to support. Such a waste.

Here's 8 to start with, 

http://oi68.tinypic.com/95zg2x.jpg

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

View from the fence - 19 Dec 2016 6:58 PM
bigpoppa - 19 Dec 2016 6:40 PM

Here's 8 to start with, 

http://oi68.tinypic.com/95zg2x.jpg

Hear hear. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search