Bozza: Phoenix offer nothing to the A-League

Bozza: Phoenix offer nothing to the A-League

Author
RyanM
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Waz - 27 Dec 2016 9:01 AM
@RyanMThat's a bit like saying SFC play in the NPL .... and it doesn't answer the question - would football be better off if Nix (senior team) played in the NZ domestic competition?And as for the assertion that Nix "often outrate" smaller Australian clubs I'm pretty sure the average ratings published on another thread had Nix firmly at the bottom.

The last ratings I saw had the Phoenix at 64, CCM at 63, the Jets at 63, and Perth at 68.

The NZ domestic league is amateur / semi-pro. The Phoenix would not be allowed to field this team.

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
theFOOTBALLlover - 27 Dec 2016 8:50 AM
RyanM - 27 Dec 2016 8:22 AM

Simple solution to all this. It shouldn't be up to the FFA or the fans to decide which teams deserve to be in the A-league or not. Bring in promotion/relegation and let the the results of each club decide for us.

Aus clubs cant play their way into the csl though. I 100% believe we should have p/r. But even of we had p/r nz clubs still shouldnt be playing in our league. 

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

RedFunk
RedFunk
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

HortoMagiko - 27 Dec 2016 9:46 AM
theFOOTBALLlover - 27 Dec 2016 8:50 AM

Aus clubs cant play their way into the csl though. I 100% believe we should have p/r. But even of we had p/r nz clubs still shouldnt be playing in our league. 

Yep, it's also a disgrace they are allowed to be in the FFA Cup as well. 
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

FunkMasterFlex - 27 Dec 2016 9:50 AM
HortoMagiko - 27 Dec 2016 9:46 AM

Yep, it's also a disgrace they are allowed to be in the FFA Cup as well. 

It beggars belief. They win it and the whole comp loses credibilty and integrity...and Just becomes a complete joke. It defies the whole purpose of the entire thing.. 

They werent in it initially and i was like, good stuff ffa, they get it.....and then typical ffa logic prevailed.

ok, theyre in the league, its dumb, ok, but how could anyone justify their inclusion in the cup. 

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

HortoMagiko - 27 Dec 2016 10:01 AM
FunkMasterFlex - 27 Dec 2016 9:50 AM

It beggars belief. They win it and the whole comp loses credibilty and integrity...and Just becomes a complete joke. It defies the whole purpose of the entire thing.. 

They werent in it initially and i was like, good stuff ffa, they get it.....and then typical ffa logic prevailed.

ok, theyre in the league, its dumb, ok, but how could anyone justify their inclusion in the cup. 

Because, like, it's a long term investment that is going to bring in mega millions of TV money or some shit
Mango
Mango
Under 7s
Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)

Has anyone asked the question why the FFA were considering Auckland as a future expansion team?
The first would be to give the nix a NZ rival which makes sense but if you look deeper and wonder if NZ would be a long term future for the A-League?
Does the FFA know that in the future NZ may be part of the Asian conference..
If that's the case it wouldn't be suprising to see them pushing ahead with a league funded by two countries eventually . Looking at the positives you could have two countries to pool players from which won't affect foreign caps and this could be rubber stamped by the AFC if they deem it being acceptable.
This is all reliant on NZ being part of the AFC. Of course, the OFC should be amalgamated with AFC in my opinion. This would give the smaller nations in the OFC a chance to play more meaningful matches against the smaller Asian countries.
So in the next 10 years we could have a 16 or 18 league with 2 teams from NZ and 14/16 from Australia. Salary caps to increase or abolished and a highly competitive league played across two countries.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Davo1985 - 27 Dec 2016 4:14 AM
nomates - 27 Dec 2016 2:01 AM

Im sorry but melb city are a hundred times more interesting to watch than phoenix. Agree with ccm tho

The CCM that provides decent away games for three clubs? Youre telling me you want to get rid of that. 

I like CCM. They have their own stadium, it's a great location and has had more than its fair share of talent and success on the pitch. Every time kicking NZ becomes a reasonable option, some wanker has to bring up CCM. It's beyond a joke. 

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 27 Dec 2016 11:12 AM

The CCM that provides decent away games for three clubs? Youre telling me you want to get rid of that. 

I like CCM. They have their own stadium, it's a great location and has had more than its fair share of talent and success on the pitch. Every time kicking NZ becomes a reasonable option, some wanker has to bring up CCM. It's beyond a joke. 

Almost on pair with the "Leave Britney alone" video message. Where you under a blanket when you typed that?.

Wellington Phoenix FC

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

You know youre not wrong. Im one of those wankers. I do it when im defending smfc and ryanm no mates do it when theyre defending nix. Funny thing is, its in the spirit of pro rel when you think about it... attack the weakest link... if we cant do it on the park then by god we will do it with metrics lol

I agree though. I like them for all the reasons you mentioned, and for the COE. I end up also bagging them to get at midfielder and patty though ;) and it does boil my blood when ccm or jets are dissed to prop up the nix cause. 

Ange Postecoglou

Edited
8 Years Ago by HortoMagiko
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

The only way the Phoenix can remain relevant is if they become the Toronto fc of the A league, Toronto has one of the most expensive squads in MLS, average over 25,000 a game and have all marquee spots allocated including arguably the best player in MLS in Giovinco. Basically they're now adding value to MLS as a whole and a lot of there games are expected to be broadcast on ESPN next season such is the excitement they generated.

The Phoenix on the other hand, on top of what we already know, they can't even lure Rojas back home let alone sign someone of note..
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

southmelb - 27 Dec 2016 12:29 PM
The only way the Phoenix can remain relevant is if they become the Toronto fc of the A league, Toronto has one of the most expensive squads in MLS, average over 25,000 a game and have all marquee spots allocated including arguably the best player in MLS in Giovinco. Basically they're now adding value to MLS as a whole and a lot of there games are expected to be broadcast on ESPN next season such is the excitement they generated.The Phoenix on the other hand, on top of what we already know, they can't even lure Rojas back home let alone sign someone of note..

Dead weight.

Ange Postecoglou

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Where here for at least 4 more years. Unless we are kicked out which wont happen because of political backlash you're just gonna have to put up with us.

Dead weight, dead wood, deadbeats makes no different, We are part of the A-league and part of that $57.6Mil per year + $200k :laugh:

Wellington Phoenix FC

Bullion
Bullion
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

This argument is annoying, every time we are under performing there are those saying we should be kicked out. Had we won last night would Bozza still be saying the same thing?
Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Bullion - 27 Dec 2016 1:55 PM
This argument is annoying, every time we are under performing there are those saying we should be kicked out. Had we won last night would Bozza still be saying the same thing?

You are under performing everywhere though, not just on the pitch. 
Edited
8 Years Ago by Gayfish
Bullion
Bullion
Semi-Pro

Gayfish - 27 Dec 2016 2:07 PM
Bullion - 27 Dec 2016 1:55 PM

You are under performing everywhere though, not just on the pitch. 

How do you know that?
Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Bullion - 27 Dec 2016 2:12 PM
Gayfish - 27 Dec 2016 2:07 PM

How do you know that?

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
jlm8695 - 27 Dec 2016 2:04 AM
@BenjaminPart of my angst is it shouldn't take kicking out the Nix to add a team that is ready to go with a sustainable business model but that's not the point of this thread.You mention cash drain, by all reports under the previous deal the Nix were costing around $500k more than Australian teams after travel allowance payments.When you consider the deal has now been significantly increased, it doesn't seem like all that large of a number. When the FFA renegotiate the Sky TV deal, that number will reducee that number more.If a new team like South (or Tas, or South Sydney or wherever) were to be added, we'd only be 1 team away from an increase in TV money. Considering the FFA's history with expansion it's probably unlikely that we even see two new teams added, but it's still far more likely than 3 teams added in the next few years, imo.Off the field for the Nix, they have just signed their largest deal everwith Huawei- not many teams boast a sponsor of that stature. They also averaged 9k last year iirc, a very reasonable number that compares favourably to other teams in the league, before they were hit with the 'we might fold your club' phase which kills a club trying to build.It's just far more preferable imo to have teams like South become expansion teams rather than replacement teams.

As my final line said - expansion is my preferred option...  I'd far rather go with Bozza's other rant about fast expansion than with getting rid of Wellington.  I don't want any sides leaving.

My comments here were more based on what could be going on in the background if Wellington are for some reason struggling.

As for the money drain - this was merely a riposte to your comparing Wellington's lack of on-field success to that of the Jets and Mariners in the last couple of years...  The cost differential mitigates the low standard of play.  
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Until we have an open league where teams earn their place then every team is squatting on a licence and sucking funds out of the game

Bullion
Bullion
Semi-Pro

Gayfish - 27 Dec 2016 2:18 PM

We average 7.7k in Wellington. 
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Bullion - 27 Dec 2016 2:25 PM

We average 7.7k in Wellington. 

Probably shouldn't be shopping games around to other cities then...  
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

Mango - 27 Dec 2016 10:34 AM
Has anyone asked the question why the FFA were considering Auckland as a future expansion team? The first would be to give the nix a NZ rival which makes sense but if you look deeper and wonder if NZ would be a long term future for the A-League? Does the FFA know that in the future NZ may be part of the Asian conference.. If that's the case it wouldn't be suprising to see them pushing ahead with a league funded by two countries eventually . Looking at the positives you could have two countries to pool players from which won't affect foreign caps and this could be rubber stamped by the AFC if they deem it being acceptable. This is all reliant on NZ being part of the AFC. Of course, the OFC should be amalgamated with AFC in my opinion. This would give the smaller nations in the OFC a chance to play more meaningful matches against the smaller Asian countries.So in the next 10 years we could have a 16 or 18 league with 2 teams from NZ and 14/16 from Australia. Salary caps to increase or abolished and a highly competitive league played across two countries.

Is there any indication that the FFA WERE considering Auckland?  There was a story that Auckland were looking for an invitation/showing interest in going for one of the expansion spots - but I've seen nothing that indicates the FFA were considering it in any way.  To date, as I understand it, only Tasmania and South Melbourne have actually met with the FFA.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

HortoMagiko - 27 Dec 2016 11:47 AM

You know youre not wrong. Im one of those wankers. I do it when im defending smfc and ryanm no mates do it when theyre defending nix. Funny thing is, its in the spirit of pro rel when you think about it... attack the weakest link... if we cant do it on the park then by god we will do it with metrics lol

I agree though. I like them for all the reasons you mentioned, and for the COE. I end up also bagging them to get at midfielder and patty though ;) and it does boil my blood when ccm or jets are dissed to prop up the nix cause. 

Thats fine. You admit it but its because the way people view CCM is that every so ofte they have shite crowds, which is fair. But they sure as hell make up for it in derbies. 

aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

And I'm pretty sure they have the lowest TV ratings
Bullion
Bullion
Semi-Pro

aufc_ole - 27 Dec 2016 2:42 PM

And I'm pretty sure they have the lowest TV ratings

I don't think we do.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Bullion - 27 Dec 2016 2:44 PM
aufc_ole - 27 Dec 2016 2:42 PM

I don't think we do.

I think you do. 

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

bluebird - 27 Dec 2016 2:22 PM

Until we have an open league where teams earn their place then every team is squatting on a licence and sucking funds out of the game

Pull your head in mate. This is Australia. This isnt the english premier league (covering for the fact that literally every fucking country has an open league but herp derp EPL is the greatest). We are special. 

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Haven't got yesterday's ratings yet but Wellington is averaging 58k while both Newcastle and Mariners are averaging 60k.
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

BA81 - 27 Dec 2016 8:56 AM
#NiXit

#NuXit

Ange Postecoglou

NuxLover
NuxLover
Hacker
Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)Hacker (403 reputation)

Like anyone cares what this coked up loser has to say, we are here to say and it gives me great amusement that it rustles some of you aussie wankers on here :laugh: We will win the league,finals or the FFA Cup one day and I'm looking forward to the meltdown on here. 
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

NuxLover - 27 Dec 2016 3:46 PM
Like anyone cares what this coked up loser has to say, we are here to say and it gives me great amusement that it rustles some of you aussie wankers on here :laugh: We will win the league,finals or the FFA Cup one day and I'm looking forward to the meltdown on here. 

Win the ACL for the ultimate egg on face
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search