Should the HAL stage a Futsal comp as its answer to the BBL?

Should the HAL stage a Futsal comp as its answer to the BBL?

Author
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Obviously it couldn't be held during the A-League season proper, but as part of pre-season around the time of the ICC in Melb?

A short tournament between the HAL teams playing Futsal, televised on FTA. Could it do to some extent, what the BBL has done for the overall profile of Aussie cricket?

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

I'd be in for some Rojas small ball tekkers action.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

bitza
bitza
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Not the worst idea.

But i personally don't know if the skills are that transferable as Test Crickets and 20/20

Don't get me wrong, outside of fitness futsal players could play great football, but could you imaging Hoffman and co failing over all the time.

If we could invite a few international Futsal players, as marquee players (not this shit again i hear you say) it might help.

Because at the end of the day, BBL cricket would not be where it is today if it was not for the amount of international cricket stars they were able to attract.

Not sure if that still the case, but i remember a few years ago it was littered with big name players.
redsfan
redsfan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

lol.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

No.

Viennese Vuck

Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

90% of players in the A-League, have the touch of a donkey :laugh:.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Gayfish
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I think a better comparison would be to hold a beach soccer tournament? Hold it at Bondi and sign up only just retired big name players to come sit on a beach jog around on the sand for a little while trying to smash the ball in the net from their own goal line.
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I see the future for football in aus: 20/20 soccer. 20 min halves. Teams wear neon. Fans wear kfc buckets on their heads. We shutdown our now defunct National setup. Give up any and all World cup ambitions. Focus all resources at tv ratings within aus. Still in 3rd place to AFL and BBL.

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

Edited
7 Years Ago by HortoMagiko
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Not as an answer to the BBL but yes we should have one out of season and maybe run over a couple of weeks in multiple locations such as Gold Coast, Canberra, as well as some HAL heartlands. Done properly it would raise money for HAL/NPL clubs involved as well as topping up the salary cap for players involved. But let's not try and compete with other codes - do it for football reasons, indoor football is big in other countries already and has a World Cup even. Like the beach comp idea as well
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

The idiocy is a trickle down. Our admin is obsessed with these abberant stupid sports, and now the fans are obsessed too. Ask the bundesliga, or the j-league....or the belgian or Kyrgyzstan league for that matter how relevant BBL is. Ask germany how bbl helped them win the world cup.

Ban and lock any more fucking bbl threads.

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

bitza
bitza
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

HortoMagiko - 9 Jan 2017 9:32 AM
The idiocy is a trickle down. Our admin is obsessed with these abberant stupid sports, and now the fans are obsessed too. Ask the bundesliga, or the j-league....or the belgian or Kyrgyzstan league for that matter how relevant BBL is. Ask germany how bbl helped them win the world cup.

Ban and lock any more fucking bbl threads.

I get your point, But we are not German, Japanese, Belgium or Whatever-stanina

We are Australian, and we have to operate in the market we are in. Ignoring that is like sticking our head in the sand.

I am not saying i total agree with it, i am just stating that your argument, to give parallels to other countries like you did, is irrelevant to the discussion.
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

We'll find out on Friday how transferrable the skill sets of BBL players are to international cricket. I would be surprised if they are. 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Futsal is mad. As long as they keep the teams (albeit with futsal players) I would watch. 

Not to if you are going to point to those countries then you should know how popular futsal is there. Especially Kazakhstan. 

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

bitza - 9 Jan 2017 9:56 AM
HortoMagiko - 9 Jan 2017 9:32 AM

I get your point, But we are not German, Japanese, Belgium or Whatever-stanina

We are Australian, and we have to operate in the market we are in. Ignoring that is like sticking our head in the sand.

I am not saying i total agree with it, i am just stating that your argument, to give parallels to other countries like you did, is irrelevant to the discussion.

WE ARE A UNIQUE SPORTING MARKET. 

Vomit/suicide gif.

We mimic these sports at our peril. You forgot to answer how bbl helped germany win the world cup. Perhaps bbl can help us win the world cup bc we are apparently this big unoque sporting market in the sky.....and of course bbl is imperative to ffa engaging the 82% participants who dont give a flying shit about the hal.

Ange Postecoglou

Edited
7 Years Ago by HortoMagiko
Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

redsfan - 9 Jan 2017 8:52 AM
lol.

I see the future for football in aus: 20/20 soccer. 20 min halves. Teams wear neon. Fans wear kfc buckets on their heads. We shutdown our now defunct National setup. Give up any and all World cup ambitions. Focus all resources at tv ratings within aus. Still in 3rd place to AFL and BBL.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Condemned666
chris1789
chris1789
Fan
Fan (76 reputation)Fan (76 reputation)Fan (76 reputation)Fan (76 reputation)Fan (76 reputation)Fan (76 reputation)Fan (76 reputation)Fan (76 reputation)Fan (76 reputation)Fan (76 reputation)Fan (76 reputation)

BBL is  popular spectacle simply because the sport of cricket is popular in Australia. It also has FTA and prominent advertising.
 If we really want to compete with the bbl (which I think is moronic), then let's just keep enjoying the a-league.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I would like to see more emphasis on futsal at junior level, now that would be more effective! 
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

Not sure how a futsal comp that the general public probably wouldn't give two shits about is an 'answer' to the BBL.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

It might just be me but if really like to see it. Sell it to fox for a buck. See how it goes. 

And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Saw Man City & others play in a comp organised in the late 80's

Died a very quick death.

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Futsal is the football equivalent of indoor cricket not Twenty20.

Scotch&Coke
Scotch&Coke
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Would be great to watch however you would need some big names or atleast decent futsal players to flesh out the teams.  Remember futsal is where Tom Rogic got his start and look at his technical ability.  
absent
absent
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

The premise of this idea needs some critical analysis - First and foremost, why do you think any team of HAL players could beat or be more entertaining than say the Australian or state rep futsal teams? (Rogic @ CCM being the obvious exception)

Edited
7 Years Ago by Absent_doz_2259
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

bitza - 9 Jan 2017 8:52 AM
Not the worst idea.

True, but its pretty damn close

We don't need an "answer" to the BBL. We need more than 10 teams playing in a viable league that is a proper development platform for our national teams

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Futsal, 5-a-side, indoor footy...  Whatever...  Has never been a ratings winner anywhere in the world.  Even Masters tournaments filled with big names don't rate well (or raise enough interest for tv coverage at all).

Cricket NEEDS the Big Bash because the standard format is too long and too slow.  Football doesn't need it, it just needs to raise the stakes in the actual games - you do this by not playing against each other too often, by not giving out prizes for 6th out of 10 place, by introducing a threat at the bottom, and a real prize at the top...
maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

I wouldn't be against them looking into a small sided version of football for academy players, if only to improve the technical skills of the players. If the game looks good and it offers a proof of concept, then we can try it for a-league teams.

But futsal is shit fucking boring.
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

bluebird - 9 Jan 2017 1:02 PM

We don't need an "answer" to the BBL. We need more than 10 teams playing in a viable league that is a proper development platform for our national teams

what is the worst idea ?

bitza
bitza
Semi-Pro

bluebird - 9 Jan 2017 1:02 PM

The question may be wrong, but the idea has meet it IMO.

And no amount of belittling from you or anyone else can change my mind. 

Football can be played and enjoyed in a variety of ways, both actively and passive (similar to cricket) and the FFA should be doing a better job of promoting all forms of the game.

The fact that they are too busy sticking their fingers into the A-league is part of the problem. More so probably than BBL.

But I digress, my original point stands. We should be promoting other forms of the game including distal etc. And can do this during the summer period too with ideas like this or similar

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

How is a futsal comp the answer to bbl? The bbl is a shorterned version of cricket in terms of game time, but the fields and all the rest are the same, futsal would be the answer to indoor cricket lol
World Class

View from the fence - 9 Jan 2017 11:27 AM
Saw Man City & others play in a comp organised in the late 80's

Died a very quick death.

Actually, I think it was that night I ended up playing table football against Lily Allen's Dad in the Peveril of the Peak pub.

I lost, but it was still better than the Futsal.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search