Junior Skill Awards ... Thoughts / Resources

Junior Skill Awards ... Thoughts / Resources

Author
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
When I was a junior player in Sydney's north I remember that there was a skills award program run. That is, you had to do certain skills (kick a ball Xm metres, make X passes, juggle X times etc.) and then you got awarded a certificate / level. I really think in any sport that seeing this sort of progress is great for young players, especially in team sports where sometimes your individual progress is not measured.

My son has started to play this season, and will again next. My older daughter wants to get into the sport too. But I am not aware of any skills award program run by any clubs in my area. So I thought maybe I could help set up one at my club.

What are others thoughts on skill award programs for juniors??

Anyone got any good resources for skill award programs??

I have found an example from NY Red Bulls online, which I had my seniors team try out this season ... some had very interesting results considering that resource is based on juniors.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
sokorny - 15 Nov 2016 1:17 PM
When I was a junior player in Sydney's north I remember that there was a skills award program run. That is, you had to do certain skills (kick a ball Xm metres, make X passes, juggle X times etc.) and then you got awarded a certificate / level. I really think in any sport that seeing this sort of progress is great for young players, especially in team sports where sometimes your individual progress is not measured.

My son has started to play this season, and will again next. My older daughter wants to get into the sport too. But I am not aware of any skills award program run by any clubs in my area. So I thought maybe I could help set up one at my club.

What are others thoughts on skill award programs for juniors??

Anyone got any good resources for skill award programs??

I have found an example from NY Red Bulls online, which I had my seniors team try out this season ... some had very interesting results considering that resource is based on juniors.

This concept seems to have changed in that a player's skill level should be evaluated more in the context of what they can do in a game related scenario. 

This is exemplified where a KNVB staff coach stated that in Japan players were often brilliant at playing two to a ball, receiving  and passing to each other over some impressive distances, by receiving the ball on the chest or thigh, and passing the ball back to the other player. As soon as they put one player in between them as opposition, they couldn't do it. 

Hence, the impressive individual technique from the Japanese footballers did not extrapolate to a skill useful in game settings.   

I must  admit that one of the positives of the  new FFA NC is that I've constantly looked for more game relayed activity exercises for the Technique segment and Skills Training session of any four phase ( seniors) or three phase ( juniors) training session. 
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Decentric - 20 Jan 2017 11:40 AM
sokorny - 15 Nov 2016 1:17 PM

This concept seems to have changed in that a player's skill level should be evaluated more in the context of what they can do in a game related scenario. 

This is exemplified where a KNVB staff coach stated that in Japan players were often brilliant at playing two to a ball, receiving  and passing to each other over some impressive distances, by receiving the ball on the chest or thigh, and passing the ball back to the other player. As soon as they put one player in between them as opposition, they couldn't do it. 

Hence, the impressive individual technique from the Japanese footballers did not extrapolate to a skill useful in game settings.   

I must  admit that one of the positives of the  new FFA NC is that I've constantly looked for more game relayed activity exercises for the Technique segment and Skills Training session of any four phase ( seniors) or three phase ( juniors) training session. 

Yeah understand that, unfortunately kids at a young age don't so much. Something tangible such as a certificate, badge etc. that shows they've achieved a level means a lot more to them I find. Also gives them a base to measure their progress from, again coaches may be able to determine this from a game perspective ... kids actually playing not so much.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I remembered Rob Baan created an skillset a while back, what has happened to that? That would not be a bad thing to have to get more of the kids practicing their technique. 
Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Edited
7 Years Ago by Judy Free
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search