The day the Socceroos knocked over the world champs

Author
Lightbulb
Hacker
Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Requiescat in pace!

rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Back when friendlies felt like world cup finals. I remember staying up late to watch us play Kuwait and I literally had the shakes I was so nervous.

These days couldnt give a fuck unless its a world cup fixture.
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

1988 Bicentennial Gold Cup- Australia 4- Argentina 1. That was a match where we beat the reigning world champions before the one mentioned in the article. One of my earliest memories of how much football can amaze and excite you. Here was little old us beating the world champs. Wow!
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 24 May 2017 10:54 PM
1988 Bicentennial Gold Cup- Australia 4- Argentina 1. That was a match where we beat the reigning world champions before the one mentioned in the article. One of my earliest memories of how much football can amaze and excite you. Here was little old us beating the world champs. Wow!

Did attend said game.

Member since 2008.

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

memories 
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Let us not forget Australia's triumphs in consecutive Merlion Cups (1983-1984), in the days when SBS would televise every socceroo encounter, including all the youth world cups (the days when we used to do quite well at youth level).
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Australia actually beat Argentinas Olympic team, not the full team.
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

In 1988, there was no distinction between the Olympic and national teams. that was the first tournament the Olympics allowed professional players. it was only from 1992 on that they were under 23 squads. the team Australia beat in 1988 was the FULL National team of Argentina coached by Bilardo. if he choose to only include 3 of the team that won the world cup, that was his choice.
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

But of course you must realise that in 1988 Australian players were technical and tactically inferior to present day players. If you divide the percentage of one on one duels won by the square root of the strikers' conversion rate, and then add the number of seconds of proactive possession multiplied by the reactive turnovers of the milieu, not forgetting to subtract the coach's age in months, you get a very poor result (wink)
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 25 May 2017 11:03 AM
Australia actually beat Argentinas Olympic team, not the full team.

Oscar Ruggeri was captain of the Argentine team that lost 4-1 Australia. He wasn't in the Argentine Olympic squad that played in Seoul that year. Why? because he was captain of the senior national team.

SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

So only 2 of their first choice played, although Simeone made his debut that night. If you had beaten them with Cannigia and Maradonna etc etc, then yes scream it from the rooftops.

localstar
localstar
Pro

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 25 May 2017 4:04 PM
So only 2 of their first choice played, although Simeone made his debut that night. If you had beaten them with Cannigia and Maradonna etc etc, then yes scream it from the rooftops.

"You..."??  I suppose you are some sort of rugby league troll, jostling for space on this forum with Mr Fooball and his ilk.

The match was counted as a full international by both national associations. That's good enough for me.

eldorado
eldorado
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 24 May 2017 10:54 PM

Charlie from 35 metres out!
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro

localstar - 25 May 2017 4:40 PM
SUTHERLANDBEAR - 25 May 2017 4:04 PM

"You..."??  I suppose you are some sort of rugby league troll, jostling for space on this forum with Mr Fooball and his ilk.

The match was counted as a full international by both national associations. That's good enough for me.

Nothing of the sort.They don't really play Rugby League where i'm from.
I see you are easily amused anyway, getting all excited about friendly matches.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search