South Melbourne to launch A-League bid

South Melbourne to launch A-League bid

Author
Escobar Caesar
Hacker
Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Good job South Melbourne, i remember when they were in the world club cahllenge and hlsd a 2 all draw with Man United under Ange !!

And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

RBBAnonymous - 29 May 2017 10:48 PM
This is clearly one of the stronger bids along with the Sth Sydney bid. It is probably even stronger as Sth Sydney is not a stand alone bid.
If I could have my wish I would use both these clubs to build an A2 league, but make no mistake, they are both A-league quality bids.  

Bids will only ever be as strong as the little box at the end that Fox Sports accountant gets to tick

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Any pressure (such as what SMFC are doing with Roberto Carlos) on the FFA will help to force the powers that be into action. Can only be good for the sport.
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I've been quoted in newspapers before and I know that sometimes journo's put crap in that you did not say at all, but if Bill Papasteriadis did once again trot out the "we are a real club not a franchise line" as attributed in the Herald Sun article, then I can only say it's antagonistic and poor form on his part. Instead of trying to put the current A league clubs and their supporters offside, I'd think it would be better if Bill just said THANKYOU to the current A league clubs and their supporters for taking football in this country to places his club was never able to and asked nicely if his (so called) 'real' club could join the league.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

It'd be better for me if they fail.

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

SMH has a great bid but I can't see the FFA letting them in. A lot of time has passed, but I have a feeling the FFA still hasn't got past the old "effnik" thing. Hope I am wrong. 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 30 May 2017 10:32 AM
SMH has a great bid but I can't see the FFA letting them in. A lot of time has passed, but I have a feeling the FFA still hasn't got past the old "effnik" thing. Hope I am wrong. 

The FFA are Old Sockah stooges run by the ALF.

World Class

TheSelectFew - 30 May 2017 10:22 AM
It'd be better for me if they fail.

They'll look back one day and realise the bullet they dodged

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 30 May 2017 10:20 AM
I've been quoted in newspapers before and I know that sometimes journo's put crap in that you did not say at all, but if Bill Papasteriadis did once again trot out the "we are a real club not a franchise line" as attributed in the Herald Sun article, then I can only say it's antagonistic and poor form on his part. Instead of trying to put the current A league clubs and their supporters offside, I'd think it would be better if Bill just said THANKYOU to the current A league clubs and their supporters for taking football in this country to places his club was never able to and asked nicely if his (so called) 'real' club could join the league.

He did say it and its stupid on his part, demonstrates a complete lack of humility. He could have spoken about the clubs juniors etc and explained what the club is without trotting out that line, but you will notice all these bids seem to use, they are going down the port adelaide path and it wont work.

Despite that at least he didnt trot out the " we will be the next wanderers" line, that should be an automatic ban from bidding lol
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Escobar Caesar - 30 May 2017 9:20 AM
Good job South Melbourne, i remember when they were in the world club cahllenge and hlsd a 2 all draw with Man United under Ange !!

2 all draw with Manchester United... What match were you watching?

http://www.fifa.com/clubworldcup/matches/round=3693/match=22232/report.html

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

southmelb - 30 May 2017 11:11 AM
MarkfromCroydon - 30 May 2017 10:20 AM

He did say it and its stupid on his part, demonstrates a complete lack of humility. He could have spoken about the clubs juniors etc and explained what the club is without trotting out that line, but you will notice all these bids seem to use, they are going down the port adelaide path and it wont work.

Despite that at least he didnt trot out the " we will be the next wanderers" line, that should be an automatic ban from bidding lol

For the record, i'd actually like to see South melbourne in the A league. I just want the club officials to embrace and promote the future and not try to set up an us vs them mentality off the pitch.

theFOOTBALLlover
theFOOTBALLlover
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 30 May 2017 12:58 PM
southmelb - 30 May 2017 11:11 AM

For the record, i'd actually like to see South melbourne in the A league. I just want the club officials to embrace and promote the future and not try to set up an us vs them mentality off the pitch.

They don't have to do that. The FFA has already done it for them via the way they have treated these clubs. 
Escobar Caesar
Escobar Caesar
Hacker
Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)

petszk - 30 May 2017 11:18 AM

AHAH shot , the match that happened after some Columbian Desert.
I remember it being a draw in normal time, i forgot it went into extra time

Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 30 May 2017 10:13 AM
Any pressure (such as what SMFC are doing with Roberto Carlos) on the FFA will help to force the powers that be into action. Can only be good for the sport.

So bringing in a temporary coach warrants a full entry into the a-league? That is not how it should work. Surprised so many here think otherwise. 
The bid has to be looked at much more deeply. 
How can sth prove that they are now a more inclusive club than they were in the past without eating into the Victory and City supporter base?
YoShuuuu
YoShuuuu
Super Fan
Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)

Looks like George 'The dodgy bastard' Calombaris will be wearing a half half scarf of South Melbourne and Victory to A-league matches now.

Sydney FC 

Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 30 May 2017 10:32 AM

One look at their facebook page will tell you where most of their supporters still come from. And i'm not international backgrounds but very much from the one and only nationality that we all know. 
It also doesn't help that their bid leader is also of said background. Does them no good in regards to proving that they are a club that represents all backgrounds. 
World Class

YoShuuuu - 30 May 2017 2:15 PM
Looks like George 'The dodgy bastard' Calombaris will be wearing a half half scarf of South Melbourne and Victory to A-league matches now.

Depends if his ban ends before they're let in.

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
"We need to look at it much more deeply"
"B-B- BUT THEY'RE GREEK"

Go figure the logic in all that. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

FC Melbourne Unity> SM
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

Davo1985 - 30 May 2017 2:12 PM

So bringing in a temporary coach warrants a full entry into the a-league? That is not how it should work. Surprised so many here think otherwise. 
How can sth prove that they are now a more inclusive club than they were in the past without eating into the Victory and City supporter base?

No, I'm not saying that. For the record I think it's rough on Chris Taylor - but getting themselves about, in the media, promoting their club can't be a bad thing can it?
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

jlm8695 - 30 May 2017 2:19 PM
"We need to look at it much more deeply"
"B-B- BUT THEY'RE GREEK"

Go figure the logic in all that. 

Spot on! The fear is of mono ethnic teams. Simples. 
With over 80% of the supporter base coming from one background that is the concern the FFA and many people have. Just saying. I don't really give a toss one way or another, but I do care as to whether it will be truly good for our league or not, and if the feelings is that it will alienate more people to our game because of the way it is viewed "old sokkah wogs blah blah blah" then no thanks. Don't want to feed the stereotypes any further. 

Just like flares. Personally, i don;t mind them, but because of the way our game gets dragged down every time they are lit, id prefer never to see them at games. Same goes with mono ethnic clubs. They will be viewed that way if there is a rather obvious inclination that the club supporter base is from that one background alone. Not sure how Sth can fix this impression, but it's still not there yet. 

Hellas Headbanger
Hellas Headbanger
Super Fan
Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)

Davo1985 - 30 May 2017 2:12 PM

My initial response was to say "They took our first, so we will just be taking back what is ours", but truth be told, Id rather not have that type of fan around anymore, one that changes teams like they change their jocks.

And we dont need to prove shit. Anyone can walk through the lakeside gates (as long as they pay lol), put on a south scarf, and cheer the team on, be they black / white / asian / green / red / orange / whatever. We dont have restriction where u need to show your Hellenic Heritage to get through the gates, geez.

So sick of that "argument" coming up.
Hellas Headbanger
Hellas Headbanger
Super Fan
Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)

YoShuuuu - 30 May 2017 2:15 PM

Those pricks can keep him!!

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

This is where in a few months time with a bit of luck the question may be able to answer itself, if south get a home cup tie against Sydney fc, Wanderers, Adelaide etc and pack the joint out, I think that will be the biggest home run for the bid, and the club will legitimately be able to say yes people will come watch south play against top status opponents. I didn't mention victory or city because that will obviously sell out being derbies.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

southmelb - 30 May 2017 2:59 PM
This is where in a few months time with a bit of luck the question may be able to answer itself, if south get a home cup tie against Sydney fc, Wanderers, Adelaide etc and pack the joint out, I think that will be the biggest home run for the bid, and the club will legitimately be able to say yes people will come watch south play against top status opponents. I didn't mention victory or city because that will obviously sell out being derbies.

Heidelberg got 10k or something a few years back, no doubt South will be able to draw a few more. 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

View from the fence - 30 May 2017 10:50 AM
TheSelectFew - 30 May 2017 10:22 AM

They'll look back one day and realise the bullet they dodged

Surely AAFC would be having a chat. 

pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
scott21 - 30 May 2017 2:34 PM
FC Melbourne Unity> SM

What about the Patriots?
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

pippinu - 30 May 2017 4:41 PM
scott21 - 30 May 2017 2:34 PM

What about the Patriots?

What about no. 

World Class

TheSelectFew - 30 May 2017 4:37 PM
View from the fence - 30 May 2017 10:50 AM

Surely AAFC would be having a chat. 

You'd hope so

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
petszk - 30 May 2017 11:18 AM

That Man United reserve goalkeeper.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search