Australia vs Germany

Australia vs Germany

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
grazorblade - 22 Jun 2017 7:05 PM
433 - 22 Jun 2017 6:55 PM

meh just mute him and enjoy these thoroughly enjoyable matches at the second biggest tournament in international football (well the euros and copa america might object but meh)

I'd encourage anyone if they find a poster who annoys them incessantly, just mute them.

Sadly, a few sad sacks,  probably with few friends off forum, participate on the internet just to annoy some specific people. The mute button is a wonderful mechanism.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Was it as cut as a baby seal cub?
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Sounds like a Harper line really

"He crafted the goal as he moulded the defender like putty"
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

pippinu - 21 Jun 2017 7:46 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 21 Jun 2017 7:41 PM

I'm sorry, people have made comments along the lines of:  the German goals were every bit as lucky as the Australian goals, etc.

Also, this idea that Australia dominated Germany and deserved a draw (and yes, people are actually claiming that Australia deserved a draw).

I mean seriously...

The truth is, two extremely lucky goals have resulted in a scoreline which flatters the socceroos,  and for anyone to suggest that the socceroos truly started "dominating" possession when the Germans had already banked the 3 points is just naivety.

Disagree with you Pippinu.

I've watched the second half on two occasions. Australia went close to matching Germany in that period of the game.

I've read in the local tabloid how Joachim Low congratulated Australia on an improved style of play now compared to 2010.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Bunch of Hacks - 22 Jun 2017 9:09 PM
pippinu - 21 Jun 2017 6:56 PM

The jaggy juric goal though came off the back of rogic beautifully nutmegging a player and then skipping past another to be fouled. His eventual shot off the back of Mooys free kick into the wall brought about the goal.

And finally the Juric lay off to Kruse was beautifully crafted... WTF are you on about!?! Even the english commentators waxed lyrical about it on bein sports. Lovely touch holdup and vision. It was world class really.

Crafted
ˈkrɑːftɪd
Adjective: An immeasurable, abstract categorisation of an Association Football goal used post-hoc according a forum user of limited mental capacity's agenda. 
"Yeah nah but the German goals were heaps crafted but. I'm actually very scared."
Bogan English origin, circa 2017.
Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

paladisious - 21 Jun 2017 6:04 PM
Decentric - 21 Jun 2017 9:04 AM

You misunderstand me. I'm saying that Milligan in midfield is absolutely vital for us, he worked is arse off in front of the back three in Sochi, and my point was that if we had to move him to reinforce that back three we'd really need someone very capable to replace him in midfield.

I agree 100% in that Milligan and Mooy were fantastic paired in the deeper midfield roles; they were the engine room of our second half.

Perhaps we'll see Jedi as part of the back three and the Milligan Mooy partnership retained once we're back to full strength?

I'm with you on Jedi being a CB.
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

pippinu - 21 Jun 2017 6:56 PM
Bunch of Hacks - 21 Jun 2017 6:33 PM

You reckon these are crafted chances?

The fact that you throw in the jaggy Juric goal says it all really.

The jaggy juric goal though came off the back of rogic beautifully nutmegging a player and then skipping past another to be fouled. His eventual shot off the back of Mooys free kick into the wall brought about the goal.

And finally the Juric lay off to Kruse was beautifully crafted... WTF are you on about!?! Even the english commentators waxed lyrical about it on bein sports. Lovely touch holdup and vision. It was world class really.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

433 - 22 Jun 2017 6:55 PM
The formula of a Mr. AFL concern-trolling post:

1. See someone post something positive about Aussie football ("Australia had a strong second half")
2. Straw-man it and argue against this point ("Can you believe this guy thinks Australia was the better team over the course of the game?")
3. Pretend to be a fan of Australian football so no one can call you out 

meh just mute him and enjoy these thoroughly enjoyable matches at the second biggest tournament in international football (well the euros and copa america might object but meh)

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

The formula of a Mr. AFL concern-trolling post:

1. See someone post something positive about Aussie football ("Australia had a strong second half")
2. Straw-man it and argue against this point ("Can you believe this guy thinks Australia was the better team over the course of the game?")
3. Pretend to be a fan of Australian football so no one can call you out 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

For all the excuses and deflections regarding Germany fielding a young side, when you run the actual numbers on the starting XIs Germany's average age was 24.82, and Australia's was not much more at all at 25.36.

If not counting experienced captain Mark Milligan, the only starter over 30, Australia's average was actually slightly lower at 24.80.

Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Keeper66 - 21 Jun 2017 11:05 PM

Why don't you just fuck off.  I'm sick of seeing conversations and opinions in these threads littered with your shit.

It's appropriate that someone with your name should enter into the discussion of a game where the main talking point is how weak the German keeper was.
Keeper66
Keeper66
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

I'm sorry, people have made comments along the lines of:  the German goals were every bit as lucky as the Australian goals, etc.

Also, this idea that Australia dominated Germany and deserved a draw (and yes, people are actually claiming that Australia deserved a draw).

I mean seriously...

The truth is, two extremely lucky goals have resulted in a scoreline which flatters the socceroos,  and for anyone to suggest that the socceroos truly started "dominating" possession when the Germans had already banked the 3 points is just naivety.

Why don't you just fuck off.  I'm sick of seeing conversations and opinions in these threads littered with your shit.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

pippinu - 21 Jun 2017 7:12 PM

Aaaand he does it again.

Nobody said that. YOU are the one that keeps making these comparisons.

I mean seriously...

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

pippinu - 21 Jun 2017 7:12 PM
I have to shake my head when people are trying to put the two Socceroo goals on the same level as the two goals the Germans crafted in open play.

C'mon people, wake up and smell the coffee.

Aaaand he does it again.

Nobody said that. YOU are the one that keeps making these comparisons.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

I have to shake my head when people are trying to put the two Socceroo goals on the same level as the two goals the Germans crafted in open play.

C'mon people, wake up and smell the coffee.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Soon there will be no more places on Earth for you to move those goalposts Mr AFL. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by 433
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Bunch of Hacks - 21 Jun 2017 6:33 PM
pippinu - 21 Jun 2017 5:50 PM

the one to Kruse that juric held up. The one from Troisi. The botched penalty on Behich. The goal of course from juric which was off the back of a foul on rogic who had nutmegged his player and was shaping to shoot. There was a least one more chance that iv missed also 

You reckon these are crafted chances?

The fact that you throw in the jaggy Juric goal says it all really.

Edited
7 Years Ago by pippinu
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

pippinu - 21 Jun 2017 5:50 PM
Bunch of Hacks - 21 Jun 2017 5:38 PM

Impartials are not saying that.

All thsee e reports I've come across, including the pro Australiany clearly acknowledge Australia was miles and miles behind the class of Germany and that two extremely fortuitous goals made it look much closer than it really was.

For all the so-called domination of Australia in the last 35 min, what chances were created from open play??

the one to Kruse that juric held up. The one from Troisi. The botched penalty on Behich. The goal of course from juric which was off the back of a foul on rogic who had nutmegged his player and was shaping to shoot. There was a least one more chance that iv missed also 
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

paladisious - 21 Jun 2017 6:04 PM

You misunderstand me. I'm saying that Milligan in midfield is absolutely vital for us, he worked is arse off in front of the back three in Sochi, and my point was that if we had to move him to reinforce that back three we'd really need someone very capable to replace him in midfield.

I agree 100% in that Milligan and Mooy were fantastic paired in the deeper midfield roles; they were the engine room of our second half.

Perhaps we'll see Jedi as part of the back three and the Milligan Mooy partnership retained once we're back to full strength?

^Seconded.
The Mooy-Milligan partnership in defensive midfield needs to continue, and Jedinak needs to drop back into the back three alongside Sainsbury and whoever our next best CB is. That's the future of the national team.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

paladisious - 21 Jun 2017 8:11 AM

Totally disagree.

Milligan wins just as many hard balls Jedi, but is not as good in the air.

When the team has the ball, the combination of Milligan and Mooy, playing deeper, is the best quality we've had for some time.

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Bunch of Hacks - 21 Jun 2017 5:38 PM
pippinu - 21 Jun 2017 5:20 PM

Again mate Roy hodgeson said this... you know english, no reason to be biased, ex coach of england said this. You're making out we are being biased for australia but even impartials are saying we were coming for them at the end. So i would argue that it is infact YOU that is biased against australian football like many on this forum

Impartials are not saying that.

All the reports I've come across, including the pro Australian ones, very clearly acknowledge Australia was miles and miles behind the class of Germany and that two extremely fortuitous goals made it look much closer than it really was.

For all the so-called domination of Australia in the last 35 min, what chances were created from open play??
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Unfortunately Brillante has a habit of cracking under pressure.He played RB for the Socceroos once and had a shocker.He played once for the first team in italy and had a shocker.He played against Liverpool recently ,got dispossessed off the ball and conceded a goal.
Generally in the HAL he is fine.But ,when he has to step up a level,he is found wanting.
How you get past those problems i don't know.Because we have many players like that.?.Holland,Davidson,R.McGowan and lately a lot of the Socceroos squad.
Probably players need to play at a higher level to get used to the pressure.But if managers think a player is not good enough ,how do they get selected at a higher level?
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

Bunch of Hacks - 21 Jun 2017 5:15 PM

I thought I saw a few of you discussing this as a distinct possibility.

Australia scored two of the lucimpartial judgers iest goals we will end up seeing in the confeds cup - do you know the odds of two such goals being scored in the one game?

But hang on, it's not a matter of phew, thank gieodness we jagged those two goals to make it look as if we were in the match - people on here actually believe they are the equal of that German team and were on the verge of equalising (let us forget that even with the foot off the pedal, Germany hit the post and shaved it on two other occasions during that period when supposedly Australia was on top).

When you go looking for the chances Australia crafted from open play, guess what - none exist!

But no - people on here believe Australia not only deserved an equaliser, they were on the verge of getting it!

I thought they were kidding when I first read it, but no, they are serious!

Again mate Roy hodgeson said this... you know english, no reason to be biased, ex coach of england said this. You're making out we are being biased for australia but even impartials are saying we were coming for them at the end. So i would argue that it is infact YOU that is biased against australian football like many on this forum
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

I thought I is ths that aw a few of you discussing this as a distinct possibility.

Australia scored two of the luckiest goals we will end up seeing in the confeds cup - do you know the odds of two such goals being scored in the one game?

But hang on, it's not a matter of phew, thank goodness we jagged those two goals to make it look as if we were in the match - people on here actually believe they are the equal of that German team and were on the verge of equalising (let us forget that even with the foot off the pedal, Germany hit the post and shaved it on two other occasions during that period when supposedly Australia was on top).

When you go looking for the chances Australia crafted from open play, guess what - none exist!

But no - people on here believe Australia not only deserved an equaliser, they were on the verge of getting it!

didnt say we were equal to germany nor deserved another goal what I was saying is that australia were threatening a goal at the end it was all one way traffic to australia foot off the pedal or not thats what was happenning. And again as mentioned above as if a team of young hopefuls all vying to make the german A team would have taken foot off the pedal.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

pippinu - 21 Jun 2017 8:41 AM

In the words of roy hodgson if the game went 10 mins more we would have got the equalizer. The germans were relieved at the end to get the W only needed to look at low's body language.

I thought I saw a few of you discussing this as a distinct possibility.

Australia scored two of the luckiest goals we will end up seeing in the confeds cup - do you know the odds of two such goals being scored in the one game?

But hang on, it's not a matter of phew, thank goodness we jagged those two goals to make it look as if we were in the match - people on here actually believe they are the equal of that German team and were on the verge of equalising (let us forget that even with the foot off the pedal, Germany hit the post and shaved it on two other occasions during that period when supposedly Australia was on top).

Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

pippinu - 21 Jun 2017 8:41 AM
paladisious - 21 Jun 2017 8:07 AM

The German A team are less likely to, but underith th tandable that the B team would once they had a 2 goal buffer.

I would hope you not one of those who honestly believe the Australian team had the quality of the German team.

I would expect better from you.

dude... seriously think about what you're saying before you post. You honestly believe that the german A team with some of the best players in the world playing in some of best teams in the world and older than the B team would be less likely to take their foot off the pedal than a team of younger less proven players fighting for their spot in the team and for their careers in general?! 

Ye, nah, no chance mate. You're talking shit and francis leach knows fuck all. In the words of roy hodgson if the game went 10 mins more we would have got the equalizer. The germans were relieved at the end to get the W only needed to look at low's body language.
Scotch&Coke
Scotch&Coke
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

hotrod - 21 Jun 2017 11:35 AM
Decentric - 21 Jun 2017 9:02 AM

Maybe there's something in that.

Is there a formation or a player smart enough/fit enough to play as a wing back in defence and then switch into midfield?

With players at this level there has to be someone fit enough and with smarts to play that role, if that is at all possible.

That is what happened in the second half.  We were essentially playing with a back 5 without the ball.  This what three at the back is meant to be like.  (or at least what i thought it was meant to be like).
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

loki - 21 Jun 2017 2:40 PM
Interesting stats from nerds on the internet.

Essentially, based on the specifics of chances created, Germany had 3.27 'expected goals', so marginally under-performed in terms of finishing, and we would've been expected to score 1.33. Germans had an 81% chance of winning and we only had 7%.

I find it interesting given how most of the contribution to that stat in the entire game comes from the keeper error that Juric scored off. If the keeper hadn't have dropped it we probably would've been around 0.7 expected goals for the game.

3.27 looking slightly on the low side as far as the Germans are concerned, and even the adjusted figure of 0.7 flatters Australia, but otherwise, that summarises the game quite well.

loki
loki
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Interesting stats from nerds on the internet.

Essentially, based on the specifics of chances created, Germany had 3.27 'expected goals', so marginally under-performed in terms of finishing, and we would've been expected to score 1.33. Germans had an 81% chance of winning and we only had 7%.

I find it interesting given how most of the contribution to that stat in the entire game comes from the keeper error that Juric scored off. If the keeper hadn't have dropped it we probably would've been around 0.7 expected goals for the game.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

One caller has just provided a novel proposal to improve Australian Football.  We should be finding the best 10 and 11 year olds in South America, bringing their families over to Australia, provide everything for them, on the proviso that they play for Australia.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search