Abrams: COE closure good for Australian football [Comments]

Abrams: COE closure good for Australian football [Comments]

Author
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
LFC. - 7 Jul 2017 12:29 PM
New Signing - 7 Jul 2017 9:42 AM

agree mate.
surely this is a red flag at fnsw and to get it pulled in with CF etc makes far more sense but yer I know........

When i was younger it was bloody hard to crack Southern Branch and it was the best of the best from the region. These days its basically show up and you'll get a game, yet several associations are still pushing it as the development pathway :Whistling:
Edited
7 Years Ago by New Signing
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

New Signing - 7 Jul 2017 9:42 AM
LFC. - 5 Jul 2017 3:54 PM

Southern Branch no longer serves the purpose it once did. The sooner it is put out of its misery the better.

agree mate.
surely this is a red flag at fnsw and to get it pulled in with CF etc makes far more sense but yer I know........

Love Football

New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Decentric - 7 Jul 2017 9:50 AM
New Signing - 5 Jul 2017 3:39 PM
I was told by ACT football stakeholders that when ACT clubs  (Belconnen?)  played in the NSW state league, they were quite competitive.

In 2000, Belconnen United switched to the NSW Premier League and were renamed the Belconnen Blue Devils. Belconnen first competed in the NSW Premier League in the 2000-01 season.[3] The Blue Devils competed in NSW top flight for five straight seasons before a dispute between the Blue Devils management and board of Football NSW resulted in the club losing its licence to compete in the competition from 2006 onwards.During the club’s brief time competing in NSW, The Blue Devils enjoyed success, reaching the finals series in each season post their first and becoming league premiers in the 2003-04 season, beating St George Saints to the title with a +3 goal difference over the South Sydney club. Belconnen started the finals series with a narrow 4-3 overtime loss at McKellar Park to Sydney club Bankstown City Lions in the major semi-final. This meant The Blue Devils had to compete in the preliminary final while Bankstown advanced straight to the grand final. Belconnen once again played host in the preliminary final against league runner-up and winner of the minor semi-final, St George Saints FC. The Blue Devils were victorious over St George with a 2-1 victory thanks to a brace to Belconnen striker Macor. The victory led Belconnen to reach the 2003-04 NSW Premier League Grand Final, held at Marconi Stadium, where the Blue Devils faced-off against Bankstown City Lions once again. In front of a crowd of 5,000 the Blue Devils succumbed to two second half goals to lose the grand final 2-0. Bankstown were given a penalty in the sixty-fifth minute that was converted by Saso Boskovski before Belconnen player, Lee Pietrukowski, scored an own goal seven minutes later.[4]In the 2004-05 season Belconnen won the ‘Challangers League’ by three points over Marconi Stallions and Wollongong Wolves after the league split into two groups following the combined league section of the season. As such, Belconnen qualified for the 04-05 finals series along with the top four clubs of the ‘Champions League’. The Blue Devils defied the odds to beat former NSL club, Sydney United on penalties 2-2 (7-6) in the qualifying final and Blacktown City Demons 2-1 in the minor semi-final to reach the preliminary final. 18 June 2005, the Blue Devils took on Bonnyrigg White Eagles in the preliminary final held in Sydney. The match ended 0-0 after regular time meaning extra time was needed to split the two teams. The White Eagles’ scored twice in the first half of extra time to take a commanding 2-0 lead into the final fifteen minutes of the match. Belconnen scored in the one-hundred and seventeenth minute to set up a tense final few minutes, but the Blue Devils failed to score again, which resulted in a 2-1 victory for Bonnyrigg, who progressed to the grand final.[5]

Edited
7 Years Ago by New Signing
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro

HeadCoach - 7 Jul 2017 7:27 AM
NicCarBel - 5 Jul 2017 4:21 PM

The clubs have opposed it because they view it as Canberra United 'stealing' their players. I understand their annoyance at Canberra United having a team in the ACT NPL as that has players in it that should be playing for clubs at senior NPL level anyway. But they have no reason to be annoyed at this as it gives players a chance to compete at a higher level and increase their exposure. It makes sense from a pathway point of view and a youth development point of view.

Canberra is quite broken however at the moment with everyone just thinking about their own club and what's best for it rather than what is best for the best young talent. Canberra United is not having any game squads next year apparently which is a joke puts all the onus on NPL clubs to nurture these young talents and most clubs simply aren't ready.

I think it is more important to lift the level of competition in Canberra rather than send the best 16 players in each age group away to play in Sydney.

As far as clubs not being ready, it appears that CF have finally acknowledged that fact. Under HR clubs were 'helped' with a big stick. It appears under PB rather than bash clubs up for not meeting certain criteria CF is now going to assist those clubs to meet their obligations.

Basically we need more kids being put into performance programs with an eventual view to be producing quality players an increasing the level of competition. I understand initially this may see a slight decline in the premier league, though im not sure how much further it can fall.

Increasing the number of teams in the premier league may also see a larger spread of talent, particularly now the money for player payments is drying up. Hopefully that goes some way to addressing the heavily one sided results against teams like Tuggers and Monaro. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
HeadCoach - 5 Jul 2017 3:07 PM

Unfortunately i don't think we'll see a club from Canberra join the NSWNPL again without totally destroying the legitamacy of the current CF NPL. At the moment the best players in Canberra get to play maybe one or two games a season against A league teams in trial games so really it is going to be up to the players to move to either the NSWNPL or VICNPL if they really want to chase a career in football

I was told by ACT football stakeholders that when ACT clubs  (Belconnen?)  played in the NSW state league, they were quite competitive.
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro

LFC. - 5 Jul 2017 3:54 PM
well tbh I can't see why not having a Canberra squad competing in NSWPL whichever Div.
PL3 as most know keep travelling to Bathurst for Mariner games - 3hr each way.
Same travel time from Syd to Canbra.

As has been quoted though, Sth Coast should be competing in CF instead better imo - but the last years whilst my 2nd boy was in YL Sthn Branch struggled having a team in the age group, infact last season U16's were out completely come comp start, one reason due to players from afar not making training every week therefore numbers were low as - can you believe it some were as far as Young I was told so completely understand that situation for parents. Then to travel to Sydney week in week out another hurdle I suppose.
So, for eg, Nowra to Canbra 2 1/2hrs drive, not too bad if competing in CF.

Yes all these distances add strain but something needs to be done helping to grow other areas and expose the talent.

Southern Branch no longer serves the purpose it once did. The sooner it is put out of its misery the better.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

bigpoppa - 3 Jul 2017 6:23 PM

This would be amazing for Canberra. Canberra is been left behind at the moment I've worked with CUA in the past and it's hard seeing the best young players Canberra flog the talent in their local leagues and not really get challenged. Canberra is missing exposure to the intensity Sydney offers. It's all good having this regional sides come to Canberra as it means those regional sides get to experience a rise in their normal intensity but it does nothing for the best Canberra players. A team in the NSW NPL would offer a pathway for the best Canberra players to showcase their talents on a bigger stage, while allowing the best young players a more challenging environment against players of the same age. Whether it happens or not who knows probably to much politics involved unfortunately.

Welcome to the forum.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Redcarded - 29 Jun 2017 8:21 PM
I read an article a few years back about Coerver in Holland with 10,000 touches per player per session, and it sounded very high intensity. Maybe their take on Coerver is different or applied differently?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/these-football-times/2014/feb/14/footballers-practice-perfection-10-000-touches-day

Interesting to read this article.

I've had people record my sessions when we ran a soccer school.  We've saturated adults  down to 10 year olds over 2 hours, with the first 15- 30 minutes doing ball work where every player had a ball. We've done intense ball work with most people having a ball each or/and having a ball between two players. 

The touches we got up to were 1400 - 2000.

10 000 touches seems  impossible.

Coerver is good for isolated technique, but it doesn't always incorporate the when and how.

In theory SAP is Coerver incorporating game sense. World Coerver head at the time, Alf Galustian, was a major consultant for FFA. When SAP was more exclusive the state SAP trainer used to get about 450 -700 touches per session. A large proportion of them were under game related scenarios.
HeadCoach
HeadCoach
Under 7s
Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)

NicCarBel - 5 Jul 2017 4:21 PM
HeadCoach - 5 Jul 2017 3:59 PM

But haven't the clubs opposed this system basically being introduced just last year? I know it's a little different as said academy competed within their own league, but still

The clubs have opposed it because they view it as Canberra United 'stealing' their players. I understand their annoyance at Canberra United having a team in the ACT NPL as that has players in it that should be playing for clubs at senior NPL level anyway. But they have no reason to be annoyed at this as it gives players a chance to compete at a higher level and increase their exposure. It makes sense from a pathway point of view and a youth development point of view.

Canberra is quite broken however at the moment with everyone just thinking about their own club and what's best for it rather than what is best for the best young talent. Canberra United is not having any game squads next year apparently which is a joke puts all the onus on NPL clubs to nurture these young talents and most clubs simply aren't ready.

NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

HeadCoach - 5 Jul 2017 3:59 PM

If Canberra United have a team in the NSWNPL however it doesn't diminish the CF NPL. Big clubs such as Canberra FC and Olympic can still field strong sides in those divisions. Having a Canberra United side however could be limited to a max age of 25 years old meaning the best young talents have a chance at impressing NSW NPL sides through the CUA team. If a player hasn't made it by 25 chances are they won't make it meaning when they turn 26 they have to go back to a CF NPL side or move to Sydney to compete in NSWNPL. But having a CUA side in the NSWNPL is more than about the seniors. It provides 13s,14s,16s,18s and 20s a chance to compete against the best sydney players helping Canberra produce better players.

But haven't the clubs opposed this system basically being introduced just last year? I know it's a little different as said academy competed within their own league, but still
HeadCoach
HeadCoach
Under 7s
Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)

Unfortunately i don't think we'll see a club from Canberra join the NSWNPL again without totally destroying the legitamacy of the current CF NPL. At the moment the best players in Canberra get to play maybe one or two games a season against A league teams in trial games so really it is going to be up to the players to move to either the NSWNPL or VICNPL if they really want to chase a career in football

If Canberra United have a team in the NSWNPL however it doesn't diminish the CF NPL. Big clubs such as Canberra FC and Olympic can still field strong sides in those divisions. Having a Canberra United side however could be limited to a max age of 25 years old meaning the best young talents have a chance at impressing NSW NPL sides through the CUA team. If a player hasn't made it by 25 chances are they won't make it meaning when they turn 26 they have to go back to a CF NPL side or move to Sydney to compete in NSWNPL. But having a CUA side in the NSWNPL is more than about the seniors. It provides 13s,14s,16s,18s and 20s a chance to compete against the best sydney players helping Canberra produce better players.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

well tbh I can't see why not having a Canberra squad competing in NSWPL whichever Div.
PL3 as most know keep travelling to Bathurst for Mariner games - 3hr each way.
Same travel time from Syd to Canbra.

As has been quoted though, Sth Coast should be competing in CF instead better imo - but the last years whilst my 2nd boy was in YL Sthn Branch struggled having a team in the age group, infact last season U16's were out completely come comp start, one reason due to players from afar not making training every week therefore numbers were low as - can you believe it some were as far as Young I was told so completely understand that situation for parents. Then to travel to Sydney week in week out another hurdle I suppose.
So, for eg, Nowra to Canbra 2 1/2hrs drive, not too bad if competing in CF.

Yes all these distances add strain but something needs to be done helping to grow other areas and expose the talent.

Love Football

Edited
7 Years Ago by LFC.
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro

This would be amazing for Canberra. Canberra is been left behind at the moment I've worked with CUA in the past and it's hard seeing the best young players Canberra flog the talent in their local leagues and not really get challenged. Canberra is missing exposure to the intensity Sydney offers. It's all good having this regional sides come to Canberra as it means those regional sides get to experience a rise in their normal intensity but it does nothing for the best Canberra players. A team in the NSW NPL would offer a pathway for the best Canberra players to showcase their talents on a bigger stage, while allowing the best young players a more challenging environment against players of the same age. Whether it happens or not who knows probably to much politics involved unfortunately.

HeadCoach
HeadCoach
Under 7s

For the people in the capital. I saw a suggestion on Facebook the other day(not sure whom) that Canberra United should enter a men's team into the NSW NPL structure. A representative of Capital NPL of sorts and start in the bottom tier and work their way up into the top tier and even a national second division in the future.My question is how would this be supported by the people(and clubs) in Canberra?

NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

^^^ This
Personally, I think it would be awesome if that could happen, and on top of that, with the current 9 NPL sides, hopefully be able to get 16 across those areas and Canberra, to provide two 8 team tiers.

An academy system is outdated now, considering there is no A-League team to aspire to, and especially now with no AIS to align with for match days.
An academy system for association teams that may prop up if the above scenario happened though (A Griffith side, a Wagga side, a South Coast aide, etc) could thoug, because there is that NPL level to aspire to in Canberra for those with th skill, drive and ambition
Edited
7 Years Ago by NicCarBel
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro

Nic is right about the travel situation for clubs playing in the NSWPL and state leagues. Canberra should take over southern NSW from the Highlands South. NSW can look after everything from the highlands north to the border of NNSWPL. It will benefit everyone.

I'd look forward to a couple of coastal trips. It's only an hour and a half max from Canberra to Batemans Bay
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro

For the people in the capital. I saw a suggestion on Facebook the other day(not sure whom) that Canberra United should enter a men's team into the NSW NPL structure. A representative of Capital NPL of sorts and start in the bottom tier and work their way up into the top tier and even a national second division in the future.My question is how would this be supported by the people(and clubs) in Canberra?

I cant see it happening. CF are dropping their current academy format in favour of having the kids play club football. Capital football with then provide additional training to x amount of kids on top of their club training.

The biggest arguments against the capital football academies were that they were taking kids from the clubs and effectively operated as a club which isnt really the mandate of CF. Personally i think this is the right move. While initially the quality of one or two premier league divisions may be questioned, long term this will provide more opportunities for kids to be involved in performance programs. More kids being provided the opportunity can never be a bad thing
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro

Well... I'm going to go even lower than that, and say this is basically what the Rhinos is to Canberra. 
Initially, and still in some ways, some clubs and people oppose the Rhinos set-up, as they would rather the clubs do this themselves. Just remember, for a while, both Hanwood and Yoogali competed in the Goulburn Valley structure; clubs that have effectively existed since the 50s or thereabouts. 
I daresay there will be some in support, but my guessing is, the Canberra NPL is strong-ish enough to, let's say justify having one team in the FFA Cup proper. Doing something like this will dilute the local competition.
Again, I turn to the Rhinos as an example in Griffith. I moved to Canberra in 2011, and football in the senior rank so was strong. 9 teams in first grade, 11 in reserve grade (the 9 first grades, plus two solitary clubs from surrounding areas), and a solid 17s and Women's competition. I am not sure on the make up of the 17s and Women's currently, but now this season, the first of the Rhinos senior set up (effectively an all stars from Griffith), there is an 8 team competition for first grade, and no reserve grade. Clubs can enter more than one team in first grade, and thus we have 5 clubs competing in an 8 team competition. And this coming from a competition strong enough that we generally have 1 team make a deep run into the State Cup in NSW. Once, we even had an all Griffith semi-final. In saying that, the one club that has been opposing this set up in the NPL, just got knocked out of the semi-finals, so go figure.

Anyways, in case my message got lost in translation, for a city/region as big as Canberra, I don't think it should happen. Honestly, I still think Capital Football should become a hub for regional NSW as well, seeing as there is a big divide in taking in clubs From Wagga, Griffith, etc, into the NPL and State League in NSW due to travel and distance.

Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Yeah i saw that as well and wondered why. When div 2 does happen i guess theyll open for applicants from across the country and not just nsw and vic? If an act based applicant was strong enough why would it have to come from nsw, maybe there is something i am missing
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

For the people in the capital.

I saw a suggestion on Facebook the other day(not sure whom) that Canberra United should enter a men's team into the NSW NPL structure. A representative of Capital NPL of sorts and start in the bottom tier and work their way up into the top tier and even a national second division in the future.

My question is how would this be supported by the people(and clubs) in Canberra?
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro

New Signing - 3 Jul 2017 11:17 AM
NicCarBel - 29 Jun 2017 9:21 AM

Update:

Wagga have been told they cant enter into the premier league in CF however they and yoogali may be permitted into the state league if it doesn't undermine the rhinos (clearly it would)

Murray united is in a similar boat but further consideration would be needed for that.

I believe the governance structure of rhinos is about to change to ensure all four member associations to which they provide a representative pathway are given equal say.

Yes, basically the governance structure needs to change. I'm not even sure of what it is, I'll have to find out.
The wording I heard with Murray United is apparently they are technically not based in Albury, and are based in Wodonga, and don't fall under the same catchment area as the Rhinos.
Personally, I believe the Rhinos should officially become a Griffith only side like Griffith United back in the 70s/80s allowing Wagga and Albury to have their own NPL sides (if they choose to apply and CF accept them of course).

Edited
7 Years Ago by NicCarBel
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

We do some similar stuff to this with the under 6 side my sons in but in a 'Simon Says' format.

Not as many touches and the more basic stuff like inside/outside of the foot, etc.

The 'game' format seems to keep them interested for longer.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Ok so that's 600 in 6 minutes standing in the one spot but if you ignore that fact are you seriously entertaining the fact that a kid will stand in a little square for an hour and practice like that?  (Which will only get you to 6000 touches by the way.)

10 000 is clearly an exaggeration.  

In the video below I'd be interested to know whether that's a warm up (seems likely) or the first 9 minutes of an hour session just like that.  

Member since 2008.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6SnICKmnrA&list=PL-lHDu2j6q4A4uvMVqEcGuBAwm2AyZO0b
Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REyRmHapZFg
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro

NicCarBel - 29 Jun 2017 9:21 AM
 Yeah I have heard as much. Wagga, Albury and even South Coast/Nowra I have heard mentioned. And I agree, it would be great for ACT to effectively absorb the Riverina region. Wagga... is a touchy point though, as technically.. the Rhinos are not just Griffith, but Albury and Wagga as well, and this has basically been a reason why Wagga may be pushed aside unless there is reform from the Rhinos and the Riverina branch. Just quietly.. Murray United is technically in Wodonga...

Update:

Wagga have been told they cant enter into the premier league in CF however they and yoogali may be permitted into the state league if it doesn't undermine the rhinos (clearly it would)

Murray united is in a similar boat but further consideration would be needed for that.

I believe the governance structure of rhinos is about to change to ensure all four member associations to which they provide a representative pathway are given equal say.
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

10,000 touches / hours is all a myth, couple of interesting articles

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3027564/scientists-debunk-the-myth-that-10000-hours-of-practice-makes-you-an-expert

https://www.profootballtraining.com.au/10-000-hours-myth/

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I read an article a few years back about Coerver in Holland with 10,000 touches per player per session, and it sounded very high intensity. Maybe their take on Coerver is different or applied differently?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/these-football-times/2014/feb/14/footballers-practice-perfection-10-000-touches-day

It applies to all sports too, there is something similar in basketball youth development as well.

A certain amount of time to practice and perfect something will lead to higher gains in the future.
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 30 Jun 2017 10:55 AM
Arthur - 30 Jun 2017 10:45 AM

Dunno about this 10 000 touches per session thing.  If that's a 2 hour session that's 80 touches per minute.  In a 1 hour session that's 160 touches per minute.

Seems high.

Actually it's impossible to do, if it's 1 touch a second it would take 2.8 hours, 1 touch every 2 seconds would take 5.5hours & so on. Barcelona's record in a match was 1109 passes, which is an average of 100 passes for each player over 90 minutes, and match intensity is higher.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Arthur - 30 Jun 2017 10:45 AM
@redcarded

This is the key article for the development of football in Australia.

We need technical profficiencey in Australia and this is the best way to get it. We have over complicated development in our country and have confused development with the physical and tactical components with not enough technical and psychological components.

If we had our key philosophy as 10,000 touches per session at ALL LEVELS of the game you would see short term, medium term and long term improvements in our game.

If I had a team of 14 year olds today that had done 10,000 touches per session, 3 sessions a week, 40 weeks a year for 10 years that's 12,000,000 touches in an organised environment.
This team due to technical proffeciency does not need high level tactics to perform!!!!

Having a 10,000 touches philosophy would just dumb it down for everyone and drive better outcomes.

Dunno about this 10 000 touches per session thing.  If that's a 2 hour session that's 80 touches per minute.  In a 1 hour session that's 160 touches per minute.

Seems high.

Member since 2008.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search