how do we improve finishing

how do we improve finishing

Author
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Today Celtic played PSG
it was 6 shots to 10
3 on target to 5 on target
about 24 tackles each
40% possession to 60%

If Celtic was an asian team and we were psg we probably lose 2-1 and people are calling for the coach to be sacked
PSG won with those stats 5-0 on the back of sublime finishing

We generated 45 shots on target for 2 goals against thailand. Granted we hit the post but even still that should be more than enough to get a lot more goals than we did

Our midfield is creative enough to generate chances against any team in the world. Our finishing is bad enough to score an own goal in the opposition 18 yard box

Our youth have improved technically and look even better at generating chances but finishing hasn't improved much if at all

How do we improve this huge deficiency in our development
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
grazorblade - 13 Sep 2017 6:52 AM
Today Celtic played PSG
it was 6 shots to 10
3 on target to 5 on target
about 24 tackles each
40% possession to 60%

If Celtic was an asian team and we were psg we probably lose 2-1 and people are calling for the coach to be sacked
PSG won with those stats 5-0 on the back of sublime finishing

We generated 45 shots on target for 2 goals against thailand. Granted we hit the post but even still that should be more than enough to get a lot more goals than we did

Our midfield is creative enough to generate chances against any team in the world. Our finishing is bad enough to score an own goal in the opposition 18 yard box

Our youth have improved technically and look even better at generating chances but finishing hasn't improved much if at all

How do we improve this huge deficiency in our development

It also gets down to the amount of individual practice by attacking players.

They need to do a lot more than whole team practice.

Working with another rplayer converting one touch strikes from all sorts of angles. Then add a passive defender, eventually making them active.

Also, have targets - one low one on each side of the goal, and one high one in the top corners on each side of the goal. These are the hardest to save.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Having a son in PL3 the last years.
He's an AM and has a pretty good left peg, can score from spot kicks out of the box as a bonus now and then.
The squad has had good mids and 2 good strikers.
Under the same coach the last 2seasons it has all gone backwards so this is just one small picture.
D, you sometimes remind me of this guys mind set.
I agree a player any player who loves the game kicks and kicks plays juggles in their own time BUT training with the squad also needs attacking/oiling the kill and gaining player combinations etcetc....
This coach has drilled this squad with small sided games 90% of trainings.
The barca ticka tacka mould or whichever way you look at it - the playing from the back etc.
I whole heartedly agree on these drills and hence why we do have better technical skills BUT there is NO shooting practice - not even enough attack vs defense to at least have the attack playing set up and shots to the keeper.
He even cancelled out during games my son or any other at times in perfect free kick positions preferring a short ball to carry on with possession.
This really killed many chances when needing to take the chance and score. 
I have shaken my head countless times over the 2 seasons so have others I know.
The boys want to win overall and get very frustrated being held back.
This type of coaching methods is increasing skill, infact at times I'm in awe of some plays but the plan is to get right into the 6yard box for a tap in.
This cannot happen every game as we know, some defense's are better than others etcetc so finishing is as long at its a brilliant cross across the goal mouth who needs to learn how to shoot properly but to get your in step to a coming ball angle in.
Shots from out of the box are getting less, who learns to have a good boot in the future.

grazor, you've been on the forum for sometime and not knowing how far back you go but in all my time being a passionate supporter watching our NT since early '70's we've never really had a top out and out high scoring striker that I can recall.
Yep good players up there no doubt but nothing like a true striker.
Out highest scorer Cahill god love him, sure hasn't got great ball striking technique from the ground imo - how many with the head has he scored.
Sure he's bopped some beauties but know what I mean.
So the future is, one touch football to the goal line and tap in :)
Oh hang on, the scorers need to spend time at the local oval or backyard hitting targets - but the coaching doesn't wish for long shots but to be there poke them in lol.....can't win.

Love Football

Edited
7 Years Ago by LFC.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

hmm from what you describe the ntc is out of balance. Finishing is arguably the most important part of technique

or maybe in 10 years we play thailand and get 90 shots for 4 goals :D

I think we need to import some youth coaching expertise that specializes in improving our finishing
Mustang67
Mustang67
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

LFC. - 14 Sep 2017 12:24 PM
Having a son in PL3 the last years.
He's an AM and has a pretty good left peg, can score from spot kicks out of the box as a bonus now and then.
The squad has had good mids and 2 good strikers.
Under the same coach the last 2seasons it has all gone backwards so this is just one small picture.
I agree a player any player who loves the game kicks and kicks plays juggles in their own time BUT training with the squad also needs attacking/oiling the kill and gaining player combinations etcetc....
This coach has drilled this squad with small sided games 90% of trainings.
The barca ticka tacka mould or whichever way you look at it - the playing from the back etc.
I whole heartedly agree on these drills and hence why we do have better technical skills BUT there is NO shooting practice - not even enough attack vs defense to at least have the attack playing set up and shots to the keeper.
He even cancelled out during games my son or any other at times in perfect free kick positions preferring a short ball to carry on with possession.
This really killed many chances when needing to take the chance and score. 
I have shaken my head countless times over the 2 seasons so have others I know.
The boys want to win overall and get very frustrated being held back.
This type of coaching methods is increasing skill, infact at times I'm in awe of some plays but the plan is to get right into the 6yard box for a tap in.
This cannot happen every game as we know, some defense's are better than others etcetc so finishing is as long at its a brilliant cross across the goal mouth who needs to learn how to shoot properly but to get your in step to a coming ball angle in.
Shots from out of the box are getting less, who learns to have a good boot in the future.

grazor, you've been on the forum for sometime and not knowing how far back you go but in all my time being a passionate supporter watching our NT since early '70's we've never really had a top out and out high scoring striker that I can recall.
Yep good players up there no doubt but nothing like a true striker.
Out highest scorer Cahill god love him, sure hasn't got great ball striking technique from the ground imo - how many with the head has he scored.
Sure he's bopped some beauties but know what I mean.
So the future is, one touch football to the goal line and tap in :)
Oh hang on, the scorers need to spend time at the local oval or backyard hitting targets - but the coaching doesn't wish for long shots but to be there poke them in lol.....can't win.

As much as I agree that there needs to be a balance in training trying to improve all aspects of your game first touch and close in ball control is the most important at the highest level. Without a decent touch players will struggle to get looked at.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
LFC. - 14 Sep 2017 12:24 PM
Having a son in P

I've learnt and have used a few SSGs that focus on shooting.

Some 4v4 games with keepers (5v5), in a small grid where a team turns the ball over if they don't shoot within so many seconds of a set play start, or they have limited time in possession in which to force a shot, have been used successfully on the training track.

Another good one is where players dribble around a few cones from three different angles - left, centre and right side of the box - shooting from three different angles works well. In the centre of this exercise I often have a player doing a wall pass, with a simulated one/two before a players shoots too.

All work very well.

The extra training strikers need is on top of the regular training. Exercises are still needed at training as well.

theFOOTBALLlover
theFOOTBALLlover
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

It's a technical issue. Generally, Australian players can't perform a technical skill under pressure like the Germans, Brazilians, Spaniards, etc. The only way to get better at it is to practice over and over again by creating the same scenarios at training. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

yer a couple of good drills D.
tFl, I think that is part of it, we lack natural killers at the front and the technical nouse.
For all my years we have never had a true striker like Torres's/Costa's/Suarez's/Ibra etcetc....
IMO Dukes has been our one and only but not a open running one at that. A box player could turn and shoot but a holding front player when in the NT due to our playing styles of the times.
You mention what I'm on about - creating the same scenarios at training for starters.
The rest practice practice at home and or the local field.

Love Football

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Its pure practice to the point where putting the ball would be very easy to do in training without any thinking involved.

But also another factor we kind of forget its also mental as well? I bit like putting in golf putting or shooting in basketball the more times you practice and the more you put it away the confidence will only grow.

Regardless of that later issue, I think our one could be technical. 
Bender Parma
Bender Parma
Hacker
Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)

i think that most of our coaches have it wrong. Or at least most commments on here misunderstand the problem.

I have no idea what the curriculum teaches, but it seems to be that players are taught to put a hole in the back of the net, aim for the very corner, etc. ie score the spectacular goals we would all love to see.

I think the strikers need to change their mindset from one of breaking the back of the net and scoring the spectacular goal (which is what comes naturally).  To one of converting chances and hitting the target.  This is what cahill has done and he is probably the best example i can think of where an good solid midfielder has converted into a top class striker. The most important facet for a striker is intelligence and position off the ball.  It is particularly difficult with one striker, which is the modern way, as there is no striking partner to play off of, or put the defence in two minds, so the strike has to be twice as good to get the same amount of space.  

Still, the point is that the striker needs to concentrate not on the spectacular goal (which is nice) but on making himself the extra half yard of space by anticipating the ball properly.  
From a training perspective, i think that shooting practice or small sided games should involve witches hats for goals (in the old days you would have 5 or 6 hats you had to knock over to win.  But this seemed to go out of fashion when cones replaced witches hats on the training paddock. Any shooting practice should probably use small u6 sized goals, and do not necessarilly need a keeper, in many instances. 

The other major issue, with Australian finishing at least, is that we do get any width and get around the back of the defence.  It is no coincidence that we look our most dangerous recently when Robbie kruse drifts wide.  This is because he drags the defenders accross with him.  It also allows Leckie to attack from the midfield, where he is more dangereous (but that is a different story).  The main point is that as a team, the side needs to learn how to drag players out of position and create space for themselves and their team mates. small sided games will work okay for this but the main thing is to get the players thinking about this, and stop the games to reinforce good, or bad play.  Really it is a matter of getting players thinking and wanting to learn.  Players themselves will start to think about how to improve positions in a game, or watching and playing games to learn rather than just for the sake of it.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search