Sam Kerr has a cheeky jab at brother Daniel after he says he hopes to see her finish her career in...

Sam Kerr has a cheeky jab at brother Daniel after he says he hopes to...

Author
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Sam Kerr has a cheeky jab at brother Daniel after he says he hopes to see her finish her career in the AFLW

SAM Kerr gets asked about the AFLW a LOT.

Despite the Matildas star dominating for both club and country in her chosen sport, there has been a consistent focus on how her brother, Daniel, played for West Coast in the AFL.

While Sam played Australian rules at a junior level, she dropped the sport years ago as her prodigious football talent came to the fore.

But since the advent of the AFLW, there has been a constant push from AFL figures to attempt to convert Kerr to the new competition — with both Fremantle (currently in the league) and West Coast (entering in 2020) having both attempted to lure the football star across.

That said, Kerr has consistently rejected those overtures, making it clear a cross-code switch isn’t on the agenda — at least until the end of her football career.

Now, she’s even delivered a cheeky slapdown to her own brother after he said he hoped to see her end her sporting career in the AFLW.

Responding to a tweet of her brother Daniel’s comments from TAB Radio, Kerr said “I also wanted him to finish his career at Perth Glory ... but that never happened.”

“I still think she’ll finish her career at the Eagles,” Daniel Kerr had told TAB Radio .

“I’m going to be pushing it hard for the next seven years.

“It would be good, it would be nice - I want her soccer career to finish (first) but being an Eagles man and a strong Eagles man … I’d be signing the contract for her!

“I think we’d just send her down there for the love, it would be nice to get her down there just to play a couple of games at the end, if her body holds fit.

“She does enjoy it, she does love her football and she loves the Eagles, she wouldn’t play for the Dockers – I wouldn’t let her!”

It’s not the first time Kerr has shut down talk linking her to the AFLW.

In December 2016, Kerr — who has recovered from a series of horror injuries to emerge as a genuine world-class player — said she needed to “repay” football before considering a code switch.

“One day I might finish off in an Eagles guernsey, but there’s more opportunity, more to accomplish in women’s soccer at the moment,” Kerr told FourFourTwo.

“I’ve had a few chats, but there’s more opportunity in soccer for women at the moment.

“I love the game, it’s given me so much and I feel like I need to repay the game and grow it further.”

Since then, Kerr has made it clear where her future lies.

Then, in August 2017, after former Eagle Dean Cox said Kerr would be the “number one target” for a West Coast AFLW team, the Matildas star made it clear the opportunities in the new competition simply didn’t compare to the chance to play at the World Cup and the Olympics.

“I grew up on AFL so AFL to me was everything,” Kerr said on Fox Sports News’ Gameday Live.

“I used to be Ashley Sampi in the backyard for hours after school and take hangers on the fitness ball.

“But I love soccer now — it’s given me everything and it’s my life now. So I did love AFL but the tables have turned a little bit.”

“Maybe at the end of my career but at the moment there’s really no comparison for me.

“Playing in Olympic Games, playing at a World Cup. I think women’s football is growing and it’s great but yeah I think I’ll stay with soccer for the moment.”

In November 2017, Kerr said any Matildas looking to switch to the AFLW would be making a “stupid” decision.

“It doesn’t annoy me. It’s an AFL thing at the moment to try and snag some players from other codes, but honestly, if anyone in the Matildas was to leave for the AFL it would be stupid,” she told Fairfax Media.

“We travel the world, we play in Olympic games ... my brother has played in an AFL grand final and won it and said he would give up his medal to go to an Olympic Games. Nothing compares to it.

“Olympic Games compared to an AFL grand final? They are not even in the same ballpark. I get to represent my country and travel the world, it’s not just Australia that knows about the Matildas, it’s the world. There’s no real comparison.

“I am still a big AFL fan, I went and watched the Gaelic footy on the weekend and I will always support the West Coast Eagles, but I won’t be picking up the oval ball.”

Fox Sports

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
She responds to it pretty well considering she gets seemingly asked about it every week. 

She's probably one of the most marketable footballers we have atm, we need to utilise her more. 
phutbol
phutbol
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Great response.

Only stupid money might change her mind but I think she is out of reach of the AFL given her recent profile.

bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Just goes to show the only thing required to play AFL is athletic ability. Grab ball, kick ball

These AFLW marquee players wouldn't last 5 minutes in the W League

hotrod
hotrod
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Playing in one of the better international women's teams atm, Olympics, World Cup, US, OS, international exposure, national exposure to whole of Australia etc etc v some just made up sport.

I expect at least one of these articles every week now the AFL season is upon us.

petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

jlm8695 - 23 Feb 2018 12:09 PM
She responds to it pretty well considering she gets seemingly asked about it every week. 

She's probably one of the most marketable footballers we have atm, we need to utilise her more. 

Quite literally... https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/matildas/sam-kerr-is-the-new-face-of-nike-in-their-launch-of-the-mercurial-superfly-360-boots/news-story/32c470cb952f4620dd29d1d4ae745684

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

petszk - 23 Feb 2018 1:33 PM
jlm8695 - 23 Feb 2018 12:09 PM

Quite literally... https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/matildas/sam-kerr-is-the-new-face-of-nike-in-their-launch-of-the-mercurial-superfly-360-boots/news-story/32c470cb952f4620dd29d1d4ae745684

Yeah saw that.  That's a pretty big deal if Nike's on board.

Member since 2008.

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

They so grave international attention.... tis sad...
maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

phutbol - 23 Feb 2018 12:20 PM
Great response.

Only stupid money might change her mind but I think she is out of reach of the AFL given her recent profile.

Won't be long before she gets stupid money in football.
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

she's a finesse athlete not a slap & tickle athlete

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

Can’t wait for the articles when sammy is leading us to a women’s World Cup final
Shanagar
Shanagar
Rising Star
Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)

It is so annoying that the AFL have this fixation that any good athlete from any sport will make the transition straight into women's AFL due to athletic ability alone.

Kim Mickle is one of Australia's best track and field athletes, competing at multiple Olympics, World Championships and Commonwealth Games.
In September 2016, Mickle signed to play women's Australian rules football for the Fremantle Dockers in the inaugural season. She previously played the sport at a junior level. After missing the first round of the season due to a hip injury, Mickle ruptured her anterior cruciate ligament in round 2. After a knee reconstruction, Mickle announced that she would concentrate on javelin in preparation for the 2018 Commonwealth Games, and would not return to football.

This was actually 10 minutes after coming onto the field, and the first time she'd got near the ball.
Simply a marvellously, unnecessary risk to her career.
She was not in the Games selection trials last weekend, so do not know if she is competing, or already qualified, or will be selected, etc, but in her early 30s, something like that could have just ended her representative career.

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Shanagar - 23 Feb 2018 3:25 PM
It is so annoying that the AFL have this fixation that any good athlete from any sport will make the transition straight into women's AFL due to athletic ability alone.

Kim Mickle is one of Australia's best track and field athletes, competing at multiple Olympics, World Championships and Commonwealth Games.
In September 2016, Mickle signed to play women's Australian rules football for the Fremantle Dockers in the inaugural season. She previously played the sport at a junior level. After missing the first round of the season due to a hip injury, Mickle ruptured her anterior cruciate ligament in round 2. After a knee reconstruction, Mickle announced that she would concentrate on javelin in preparation for the 2018 Commonwealth Games, and would not return to football.

This was actually 10 minutes after coming onto the field, and the first time she'd got near the ball.
Simply a marvellously, unnecessary risk to her career.
She was not in the Games selection trials last weekend, so do not know if she is competing, or already qualified, or will be selected, etc, but in her early 30s, something like that could have just ended her representative career.

oh well, no one put a gun to her head....
Ultimate
Ultimate
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

[quote]
Shanagar - 23 Feb 2018 3:25 PM

The problem is any athlete can make the transition to afl... You wouldn't see many afl players making it in football perhaps except for as keepers.

Mark457
Mark457
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

So in AFL you can decide at any point to be a professional? That is amazing considering they are full-time.
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Thinking about it, it’s actually an amazing lack of respect from Daniel towards his sister Sam. He completely looks beyond the fact she’s currently considered one of the very best in the world, at the most popular sport in the world. A sport that opens doors to world cups, olympics, various pro leagues and all the endorsements/national pride that come with it. He consistently badgers her publicly (no doubt privately also) to give all that up just to satisfy his ignorant attitude. No longer the sporting jewel of the family, could only imagine how jealous he must feel towards her.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Maybe she uses it as motivation.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

What sort of brother shits on his sister's career like that. And in public.
BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Whaddaya expect, the guy's a druggo eggball peasant who played alongside other druggos (hello Ben Cousins)

Plus, it's WA after all - their eggball insularity puts even Melb's to shame..

If I must
If I must
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)

I guess Daniel/ AFL type people are hoping for an Erin Phillips type story where she joins the WAFL after her main career ends. It does show what a poor product WAFL is currently if any professional athlete could make the change and surely they are hoping it will improve quickly so this is not the case by the time Kerr finishes playing football.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

BA81 - 23 Feb 2018 11:31 PM
Whaddaya expect, the guy's a druggo eggball peasant who played alongside other druggos (hello Ben Cousins)

Plus, it's WA after all - their eggball insularity puts even Melb's to shame..

Well, the loser has a pretty decent rap sheet 
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/daniel-kerr-exwest-coast-eagles-star-talks-about-drug-battle-on-nine-news-20150616-ghp12m.html

Best part is mum calling around and telling everyone not to bail him out of jail.

But on the relationship with Cousins, that one not so close. 

ttps://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/09/10/1031608247955.html

"West Coast captain Ben Cousins punched teammate Daniel Kerr with a powerful right hook on the night he claims he broke his arm by falling down stairs.

The incident, which comes two weeks after club veterans Phil Matera and Richard Taylor came to blows at training, happened at a Perth nightclub last Sunday night.

Two men who witnessed the fight said yesterday that an angry Cousins walked up to Kerr about 11pm and pointed a finger at his face before shouting "This is not over".

Bozza1#
Bozza1#
Amateur
Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)

This is the same as AFL buying Folau and Hunt. It was such an obvious publicity stunt. They start something new. Then they grab other athletes for publicity. If Kerr doesn’t sign a big overseas contract soon. I can see her going to AFL. It will hurt like it hurt NRL fans. NRL has never impeded onto the A league like the AFL has. This is why I HATE the AFL with.a passion. They are trying with all there might to crush grass roots league in western Sydney. The Giants are the base to this. Now AFLX has come along. It’s all to take down other leagues including A League
redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

If I must - 24 Feb 2018 12:01 AM
I guess Daniel/ AFL type people are hoping for an Erin Phillips type story where she joins the WAFL after her main career ends. It does show what a poor product WAFL is currently if any professional athlete could make the change and surely they are hoping it will improve quickly so this is not the case by the time Kerr finishes playing football.

Erin Phillips is like someone from another planet to the boofy AFL: Basketball & football players can slip seamlessly into AFL, whereas the opposite can't be done.
Basketballers & footballers use peripheral vision and are constantly looking for empty space to move into and by "reading" the game. Comparing the two is like comparing Checkers to Chess.
Sure they want  Sam as she'd be BOG just about all the time.
BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Bozza1# - 24 Feb 2018 2:11 PM
If Kerr doesn’t sign a big overseas contract soon, I can see her going to AFL.

Fear not, she's been quite vocal on social media lately about how she never intends to👍

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Personally I think it reflects extremely poorly on a sports skill set if people who have never played it in any serious manner can be expected to just walk into the top tier. 

Viennese Vuck

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
If she really wanted to stir the pot she should publically announce that she's willing to play AFL, but only for the equal salary of the highest paid male AFL player (only $1.2 million, which is funny by itself) then just sit back and watch the meltdown lol
Edited
6 Years Ago by paladisious
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
melbourne_terrace - 24 Feb 2018 10:45 PM
Personally I think it reflects extremely poorly on a sports skill set if people who have never played it in any serious manner can be expected to just walk into the top tier. 

Imagine Barcelona or Bayern Munich signing someone who'd never even touched an association football ball before trialling for their club.

This actually happens at the highest level of men's AFL, and not even all that rarely.
Edited
6 Years Ago by paladisious
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search