Van Marwijk names preliminary squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup

Van Marwijk names preliminary squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup

Author
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Not who i would have picked. Thought it would be ruka, brilliante, troisi, cahill gone and then langerak and one more. Although JMac hasnt impressed for the roos thought he might be the kind of striker to link with arzani. Worried about brilliante as in the 2nd half of the season seemed off being slow, hustled of ball, spaying passes and putting in some tackles that were a bit agricultural. Troisi seems so hit or miss... 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

grazorblade - 15 May 2018 6:38 AM
johnszasz - 15 May 2018 6:25 AM

reckon if wright had been in buli2 he would have made the bundesliga right now. He's looked epl quality at times but 2 seasons in a row has been hit by bad form. I think its the ecl burning players out

Yeah I reckon a bit of that. He's played especially a lot over the last few seasons but so have some others.

It's a shame his Bristol form didn't come out for Australia. He actually played a massive role in round two of qualifying but round three saw him benched for the most. He played both Honduras games and was much calmer. He'll be 30 in 2022. Roos career definitely on the edge.

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

johnszasz - 15 May 2018 6:25 AM
Genuinely spewing for Wright. Such a likeable bloke but the honesty is he didn't really play or do much in our more crucial games. Fairly stable Honduras away.

Apparently Maclaren knew he'd been cut before his 3 goals. 

Giannou was just a late inclusion. Not a big loss.

Gersbach has time as does Susnjar but I'd been hoping both would form a solid left side partnership in training with a view to the future. 

Langerak. Enough has been said about his situation. 

reckon if wright had been in buli2 he would have made the bundesliga right now. He's looked epl quality at times but 2 seasons in a row has been hit by bad form. I think its the ecl burning players out
astonvilla1
astonvilla1
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

How does Ruka and Troisi make it lol.Legend of the roos ,but Cahill shouldn't be in that squad time is up hasn't earned his spot on merit.64 minutes in 6 months and then gets suspended for last 3 games we have plenty of experience in the squad.Rather give his spot to Maclaren made the move and played regularly and scored.

Wright is not good enough about time a coach realised it way to much mistakes.Thought Susnjar didn't look to bad.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Surely it's Brillante, Rukavytsa and Risdon/ Karacic who get the cut? 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Genuinely spewing for Wright. Such a likeable bloke but the honesty is he didn't really play or do much in our more crucial games. Fairly stable Honduras away.

Apparently Maclaren knew he'd been cut before his 3 goals. 

Giannou was just a late inclusion. Not a big loss.

Gersbach has time as does Susnjar but I'd been hoping both would form a solid left side partnership in training with a view to the future. 

Langerak. Enough has been said about his situation. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Six players – Alex Gersbach, Apostolos Giannou, Mitchell Langerak, Jamie Maclaren, Aleksandar Susnjar, and Bailey Wright – have been informed that they have not advanced to the next phase of the selection process. 3 more to be dropped on 3 June. 

Well fuck.... Only Giannou would have been considered a long shot a few months back. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Can guarantee one player will get injured in camp. We're taking 26 so 3 will be cut late.

If reports are true then the 6 cut today will be Maclaren, Gersbach, Wright, Langerak, Brillante, Giannou. That's my tip.

Personally I'd cut Rukavytsya. I'd still prefer Troisi over Rukavytsya for the 26 but Troisi probably won't get into the 23. Nabbout is sore it seems but should be right. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Paolo Guerrero not allowed it Peru squad it appears and rightly so. 
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

It might be a bridge too far with Timmy. But, again and again and again, he has saved our hides. We wouldn't have qualified without him. He's one of the very few who has been a very good finisher over a long period (as opposed to recent patches of form). He is mentally as tough as nails (unlike many other Aussie footballers). And he brings leadership and unrivalled match awareness. Those things justify his selection. He's worth taking a gamble on.

It may appear rough on some of the other guys who miss out. And they have reason to feel had done by. But frankly, nobody likely to miss out up front has exactly knocked down the door. 

Edited
6 Years Ago by quickflick
phreeky
phreeky
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Cahill going ahead of Maclaren is a load of shit. Admittedly Maclaren up front as a lone striker would suck, and all this tells me is that we're going to witness us playing a very defensive game with a lone striker, get caught out as we simply don't have the defensive quality, and get smashed on the counter.

chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Starting 11.
/-----/-----/Ryan/-----/-----/
/-----/Sainsbury/-----/Susnajr/-----/
/Karacic/-----/-----/-----/Behich/
/-----/Irvine/-----/Luongo/-----/
/Leckie/-----/Mooy/-----/Petratos/
/-----/-----/Juric/-----/-----/

SUBS
/-----/Degenek/-----/Jurman/-----/
/*/-----/-----/-----/Meredith/
/-----/Jedinak/-----/Milligan/-----/
/Arzani/-----/Rogic/-----/Nabbout/
/-----/-----/Kruse/-----/-----/

Jones
Vukovic
Cahill - Final 10-15 mins sub

*Degenek/Milligan/Leckie/Behich?/Meredith?/

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

asterix1982 - 14 May 2018 9:00 PM
quickflick - 14 May 2018 8:32 PM

he is a player with plenty of potential. I agree 100%. 
Cringing more now though.

Fair enough. I wouldn't advise anybody to bet on them doing that (but I prefer low risk). But gotta aim high and harness the quality there is :)
asterix1982
asterix1982
Fan
Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)

quickflick - 14 May 2018 8:32 PM
asterix1982 - 14 May 2018 8:28 PM

Cringe if you want. If I was a manager of a side that had Rogic, Mooy and Arzani, I'd be aiming to break down opponents with passes and diagonal movement of a world class standard. Imo, between the likes of those three, that's attainable. N.B. Arzani might not actually be making the final pass but be crucial to the play. Although I have watched him places passes which have been weighted beautifully.

he is a player with plenty of potential. I agree 100%. 
Cringing more now though.
lebo_roo
lebo_roo
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

lebo_roo - 14 May 2018 5:11 PM
Derider - 14 May 2018 2:40 PM

And Bert Van Fuckwit had Meredith in both the Norway and Colombia squads but chose not to use him for a single minute. 

By not playing him he doesn't rate him. 
PricklePear
PricklePear
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

https://i.redditmedia.com/DvO3XWXNcXC3-PHYKNi7eQ46sE6U1Kd4UBQy11s_I2M.jpg?fit=crop&crop=faces%2Centropy&arh=2&w=640&s=94da60e5c713ff26cdfe0b1101760290
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

World class is a subjective term, but some of his crosses have been sublime. Highlights of his game against WSWor setting up McCormack for a double are evidence of this.

Rogic, on the other hand, is an average passer. Great dribbler and shooter, but average passer. He can shimmy to the touch line and cut back, but rarely passes through the lines.

Luongo is much beter at passing forwards. He could be a great 10.
asterix1982
asterix1982
Fan
Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)

quickflick - 14 May 2018 8:25 PM
Derider - 14 May 2018 8:22 PM
quickflick - 14 May 2018 8:25 PM

Is the Israeli league much worse than the A-League though? If at all?

I would have guessed stronger but I have no idea, haven't seen enough

Your comment made me google and found this:
https://iffhs.de/the-strongest-national-league-of-the-world-spains-primera-division-again/

What a ridiculous table!

For a separate forum discussion probably.

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

asterix1982 - 14 May 2018 8:28 PM
quickflick - 14 May 2018 6:53 PM

Cringeworthy comment:
"the team will be aiming to create chances with world-class through balls"
A little early to be saying Arzani's strength is world class through balls isn't it. I would definitely take him in the 23, but seriously.....

Cringe if you want. If I was a manager of a side that had Rogic, Mooy and Arzani, I'd be aiming to break down opponents with passes and diagonal movement of a world class standard. Imo, between the likes of those three, that's attainable. N.B. Arzani might not actually be making the final pass but be crucial to the play. Although I have watched him places passes which have been weighted beautifully.

robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Maclaren not being chosen when one of our biggest problem is our strikers is a big fucking joke. What a disgrace.You need 2 players in each position and as out and out strikers Juric and Maclaren clearly stand out.
asterix1982
asterix1982
Fan

quickflick - 14 May 2018 6:53 PM
And then if Aaron Mooy, Tom Rogic and Daniel Arzani all make the final squad (as I hope they do for the Socceroos' sake), then the team will be aiming to create chances with world-class through balls. To do this as effectively as possible, they need to be able to play a striker with express pace.

Cringeworthy comment:
"the team will be aiming to create chances with world-class through balls"
A little early to be saying Arzani's strength is world class through balls isn't it. I would definitely take him in the 23, but seriously.....
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Aljay - 14 May 2018 8:14 PM

I was impressed by his WSW performances. I definitely thought he deserved a look in. It's just that he's played in Israel for what seems like years now. I don't trust him no more. 

Is the Israeli league much worse than the A-League though? If at all?
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Aljay - 14 May 2018 8:14 PM
Simple. The Israeli league is nothing but average. We all saw him for the Wanderers. How many of you thought his WSW performances warranted a WC berth?

I was impressed by his WSW performances. I definitely thought he deserved a look in. It's just that he's played in Israel for what seems like years now. I don't trust him no more. 

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

johnszasz - 14 May 2018 8:06 PM
Rukavytsa is just so confusing. He does well at club level but doesn't seem to do much for Australia. I'll admit he gets limited time but we barely have chances to play him with our limited preparation for our 'best' 11.

Watch the friendlies, but don't try to gauge anything definitive from them, I reckon. They're just one thing to be considered and, as friendlies, are very contrived. A lot will be based on how they train in camp.

Maybe BVM can get more out of Rukya than others have done so far. He might just want a racehorse who can play half an hour, beat the offside trap and get a half-decent final product. Regardless of whether or not Rukya does that in the friendlies, imo, he's the best option for that particular facet of attacking football.
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Simple. The Israeli league is nothing but average. We all saw him for the Wanderers. How many of you thought his WSW performances warranted a WC berth?
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Rukavytsa is just so confusing. He does well at club level but doesn't seem to do much for Australia. I'll admit he gets limited time but we barely have chances to play him with our limited preparation for our 'best' 11.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

chondro - 14 May 2018 6:14 PM
IMOOutLangerakWrightRisdon GersbachBrillanteTroisiRukavytsaGiannouMaclaren

WC squadGKRyanJonesVukovic
 DFSainsburySusnajrJurmanDegenekKaracicBehichMeredith
 MFJedinakMilliganLuongoIrvineMooyRogicPetratos
 FWLeckieArzaniKruseNabboutCahillJuric

Only change I would make is Maclaren for Cahill
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 14 May 2018 1:11 PM
JMac was too one dimensional when he was in the A League. I haven't watched him in Scotland, but he shouldn't go unless he's added some more facets to his game.

DC

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Gutting for Jamie. On a personal level, it sucks if he misses out given his recent form. I feel sorry for him.

By the same token, I think there's a stronger argument to take Rukya. If one wishes to highlight spells of form for Jamie, it's necessary to do the same for Nikita. He has also been a strong scorer. Neither of them are thought of as world-class strikers. But it's really a question of which can offer more. Form-wise, they're close.

But Rukya has buckets more pace. We have to look at this in context. Neither Timmy nor Tomi is pacy af. If BVM wishes to maximise the attacks in transition, then at least one striker should have express pace.

And then if Aaron Mooy, Tom Rogic and Daniel Arzani all make the final squad (as I hope they do for the Socceroos' sake), then the team will be aiming to create chances with world-class through balls. To do this as effectively as possible, they need to be able to play a striker with express pace.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

tsf - 14 May 2018 5:06 PM
Is maclaren's 8 in 13 including the 3 on weekend? If so take that away and it's 5 in 12 games, a couple of pens included and had a few off games. You can see why he wasn't included if a decision was made a week or so ago. Tough on him but maybe he started his run a little late 

aside from no... the decisions on the squad are not final until they have to be.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search