The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
who's in your 2nd team squad?  uncapped players or those that have at most played 1 or 2 games-ish for the NT??

when i think about it it's pretty much the U23's with a couple fringe roo's.

Edited
5 Years Ago by inala brah
Ameryn74
Ameryn74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)

Terre Astrale - 23 Apr 2019 8:52 AM
highkick05 - 19 Apr 2019 1:36 PM

I'd go something like this for 23 man squad:

Ryan
Vukovic
Langerak
Degenek
Milligan
Wright
Jurman
Grant
Karacic
Smith
Gersbach
Mooy
Luongo
Amini
Irvine
Rogic
McGree
Mabil
Leckie
Ikonomidis
Borello
Taggart
Nabbout

Sainsbury and Behich dropped due to lack of playing time.

Karacic never misses a game for Lokomotiva. His English can't be that bad surely. Everyone on the planet speaks English these days.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

johnszasz - 24 Apr 2019 4:41 AM
Just realised I've totally forgotten Antonis. He's a class act and definitely comes into consideration.
I'll say it, our best 11 on paper will never be our best on the pitch. I think we need to mix it up to find the best team. 

In the days of Kewell and Viduka, Sterjovski contributed very highly pound for pound. Perhaps someone like Jeggo and Antonis would be a perfect match. Unfortunately we just don't have enough games to try it. 

watched a replay of leeds vs united in 2002 this morning... I wonder if we will ever produce a player at the level of those two ever again..
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

jas88 - 25 Apr 2019 1:12 PM
johnszasz - 24 Apr 2019 4:41 AM

watched a replay of leeds vs united in 2002 this morning... I wonder if we will ever produce a player at the level of those two ever again..

Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
TWG reporting Brad Smith will be called up to the Socceroos friendlies against Korea and China, after a 2 year absence from the national team.

He’ll join Ryan Williams in the squad.

Good to see Arnie using friendlies to take a look at these fringe players. That’s what friendlies are for after all, and we may find some gems. 
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Which other fringe players would we like to see called up? 
Bowden
Bowden
Legend

For me:

Bailey Wright - He’s back playing every week now and captaining his side pushing for EPL promotion. Deserves a look for sure.

Aleksander Susnjar - Perhaps a controversial pick given he’s playing in K-League 2, but I can’t get his dominant Olyroo performances out of my mind. He was such a beast. He also appears to be in good form, making the K-League 2 TOTW quite regularly,

Fran Karacic - Surely the bloke deserves at least one game to see how he goes? Hopefully he’s been learning English since BVM cut him from the WC preliminary squad. 

Kenny Dougall - Was due to be called up to an earlier friendly pre Asian Cup but had to pull out injured. Would like to take a look at him as we need depth at DM with Jedinak retired and Milligan surely following soon. 

Adam Taggart - Performing at a high level in the K-League and is scoring goals. He’ll be in-season for this window too so is a no-brainer. 

Bowden
Bowden
Legend

Our strongest position with the most depth appears to be CM, but I’ve noticed we are really lacking any genuine DM options. We’ve had Jedinak and Milligan dominating that area of the park for so long that it hasn’t really been an issue in the past. 

Mooy, Irvine and Luongo can all play there but they aren’t DMs and aren’t really very effective in that position, especially if not partnered with someone in a ‘destroyer’ role. 

Other than Kenny Dougall, what genuine DM (not CM) options do we actually have?

From the Olyroos there’s Keanu Baccus and Brandon Wilson.

Otherwise... Legit no one haha 
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Bowden - 27 Apr 2019 5:33 PM
Our strongest position with the most depth appears to be CM, but I’ve noticed we are really lacking any genuine DM options. We’ve had Jedinak and Milligan dominating that area of the park for so long that it hasn’t really been an issue in the past. 

Mooy, Irvine and Luongo can all play there but they aren’t DMs and aren’t really very effective in that position, especially if not partnered with someone in a ‘destroyer’ role. 

Yeah a genuine concern. Probably most crucial position considering how much lack of quality in general we've had all over the park in the past.

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

highkick05 - 27 Apr 2019 5:53 PM

Yeah a genuine concern. Probably most crucial position considering how much lack of quality in general we've had all over the park in the past.

I don't really think a "proper DM" is that important these days. Much more important for them to be a capable passer and tempo setter for the team which we have in abundance rather than a destroyer type
Bowden
Bowden
Legend

@City Sam

Interesting opinion, and I do agree to an extent, especially when we’re playing nations weaker than us.

In general though I prefer the balance of 1 destroyer type on the field to compliment a deeper laying CM such as Mooy/Luongo/Irvine who can be more of a passer.

dr. bellows
dr. bellows
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Sainsbury. It's his best position, imo.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend

@ dr. bellows

Yep and also Degenek is an option of course. Our CB pairing could both be brought forward into midfield. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

Bowden - 27 Apr 2019 5:25 PM
For me:

Bailey Wright - He’s back playing every week now and captaining his side pushing for EPL promotion. Deserves a look for sure.

Aleksander Susnjar - Perhaps a controversial pick given he’s playing in K-League 2, but I can’t get his dominant Olyroo performances out of my mind. He was such a beast. He also appears to be in good form, making the K-League 2 TOTW quite regularly,

Fran Karacic - Surely the bloke deserves at least one game to see how he goes? Hopefully he’s been learning English since BVM cut him from the WC preliminary squad. 

Kenny Dougall - Was due to be called up to an earlier friendly pre Asian Cup but had to pull out injured. Would like to take a look at him as we need depth at DM with Jedinak retired and Milligan surely following soon. 

Adam Taggart - Performing at a high level in the K-League and is scoring goals. He’ll be in-season for this window too so is a no-brainer. 

Agree with it all. How's Dougall recovering? Didn't he break his leg?

Susjnar is a confusing one. He's so graceful on the ball and has good anticipation. Playing K2 is fine for now if it's every week. 2 teams of the week appearances already shows he's good for the level. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

CM. McGree and O'Neill are coming through very nicely. Jeggo and Amini in an absolute emergency.

Apparently Sainsbury was excellent in midfield at grasshoppers. Maybe it'll be better for him so he's not panicked as the last man in defence. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Atkinson Wright Degenek Smith
                   Sainsbury
                McGree   Rogic
Mabil        Taggart    Ikonomidis 

Wouldn't mind seeing it tested. 
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

johnszasz - 27 Apr 2019 8:28 PM
Bowden - 27 Apr 2019 5:25 PM

Agree with it all. How's Dougall recovering? Didn't he break his leg?

Susjnar is a confusing one. He's so graceful on the ball and has good anticipation. Playing K2 is fine for now if it's every week. 2 teams of the week appearances already shows he's good for the level. 

I don't understand why he would move there. He could have just moved to the A-league? What kind of wages is he on over there?
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

So it appears it'll only be the Korea friendly? No chance at all for the team to travel down to Australia for a game 5 days later or something? 
lebo_roo
lebo_roo
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

johnszasz - 17 May 2019 6:59 AM
So it appears it'll only be the Korea friendly? No chance at all for the team to travel down to Australia for a game 5 days later or something? 

Doesn't seem like Arnie actually cares to play football games. I can see this squad being full of players who haven't played much lately at all, whether that's A league or euro bench boys. 
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Pasquali - 25 Apr 2019 3:56 PM
jas88 - 25 Apr 2019 1:12 PM

i'd be sending him elsewhere if i was man city. neil lennon is a hack.

chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Antonis deserve a call up as DM?
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

chondro - 17 May 2019 11:46 AM

I think its probably his best option. Can harry and contain a player and has very good passing. Not necessarily a bust ém up type player, but will certainly put a decent tackle in when needed.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

As a DM, not convinced. Isaias the much better option imo. 

chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Isaias I like but bringing him in at 32?
focus should be on next WC.
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

chondro - 17 May 2019 1:27 PM
Isaias I like but bringing him in at 32?
focus should be on next WC.

Isaias is someone who could have a very long career. He's incredibly versatile, rarely gets injured, gets better with age and has shown no signs of slowing down.
dr. bellows
dr. bellows
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

James Holland has had plenty of success in Austria, first with Austria Vienna and now with LASK Linz. A decent option. Jimmy Jeggo at Austria Vienna is a few years younger and worth keeping in mind because of that. 
Bowden
Bowden
Legend

King Kenny has been promoted to the Championship so definitely deserves some time to stake a claim for a DM spot. 
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Antonis for me deserves the spot. He’s been fantastic. Love to see this for Korea 

Ryan
Grant Sainsbury Degenek Smith
           Mooy Antonis
Ikon          McGree          Mabil   
            Taggart/Giannou
chondro
chondro
Pro

Looks good josh. Would like to see Degenek as a CBR and give susnajr a go at CBL
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search