Australia v W Indies ODI - World Cup

Australia v W Indies ODI - World Cup

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Go Aussie!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

I’ve only just started watching. 

There must have have been an early collapse if we are 4-68 and Smith is on 15 and Stoinis 17! 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Brathwaite and Holder being so tall are certainly generating bounce from the pitch even at only 125 -130kph speed. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
a smallish total but selecting ncn seems an inspired choice right now

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

pretty uneven bounce here

we might have a chance
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 6 Jun 2019 11:59 PM
pretty uneven bounce here

we might have a chance

Good to see Gayle go!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

West Indies are in front!
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

need to get pooran heitmayer and russell early
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

pitch looking a lot more even now or is it my imagination
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

stoinis will be key

if he's innocuous as he can be is very difficult to defend a modest total

if he shows something as he has the last few days we have a chance
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Australia need a couple more wickets here
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

great runout

just a couple more wickets before the 35th...
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

gee I wish we had another 20-30 runs

Australia just slightly behind the whole chase so far
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

we are still about 15-20 runs short of being in the drivers seat
Of course the easiest way to improve is with the bat
but just some of the wides and outfielding mistakes probably make up that 15-20 runs

Still we have a chance
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

what a victory

Starc is back and with Cummins they have a monster bowling attack
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

grazorblade - 7 Jun 2019 3:40 AM
what a victory

Starc is back and with Cummins they have a monster bowling attack

Gday all,
jaszyjim - I taped Australia's innings last night & have just finished watching same.
Whilst there were negatives in the top order batting, it showed the positives in the rest of the team.
I've been known to heavily criticise captains where I feel it's due, however Finch's captaincy in the field was outstanding.
To me it was of a case of good captaincy winning the march. If he could just move his feet earlier he would be even better.
Smith obviously was outstanding & I think one of the best ODI innings he has played & out to a spectacular catch.
What a joy to see him batting again.
Coulter Nile was great with the bat but bowling wise someone needs to tell him "that if you are trundling in at 130k's, you
do not try to bounce the tallest players in the WI side", it just ends up at a perfect height & pace to put away.
Maxwell, I do not know why he is selected, some one obviously like him, I never have.
Irresponsible shot at a critical time & his bowling to me is very average. We have enough all rounders bring in another
bowler, preferable spin.
The other player who should be looked at is Khawaja. Always stuck up for him, but enough is enough.
 Out playing a loose shot again = same, same - time to go.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

jaszyjim - 7 Jun 2019 10:47 AM

Gday all,
jaszyjim - I taped Australia's innings last night & have just finished watching same.
Whilst there were negatives in the top order batting, it showed the positives in the rest of the team.
I've been known to heavily criticise captains where I feel it's due, however Finch's captaincy in the field was outstanding.
To me it was of a case of good captaincy winning the march. If he could just move his feet earlier he would be even better.
Smith obviously was outstanding & I think one of the best ODI innings he has played & out to a spectacular catch.
Coulter Nile was great with the bat but bowling wise someone needs to tell him "that if you are trundling in at 130k's, you
do not try to bounce the tallest players in the WI side", it just ends up at a perfect height & pace to put away.
Maxwell, I do not know why he is selected, some one obviously like him, I never have.
Irresponsible shot at a critical time & his bowling to me is very average. We have enough all rounders bring in another
bowler, preferable spin.
The other player who should be looked at is Khawaja. Always stuck up for him, but enough is enough.

its a big call to criticize maxwell. He's our most explosive finisher and the only real finisher we have in the squad. 
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

grazorblade - 7 Jun 2019 10:56 AM

its a big call to criticize maxwell. He's our most explosive finisher and the only real finisher we have in the squad. 
Gday gb,
jaszyjim - Failed against strong opposition.
Will probably be kept in the side but his performance against India needs to be first class, without brain fades.
Another brain fade batting & ordinary bowling he will need to go.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

jaszyjim - 7 Jun 2019 11:04 AM
grazorblade - 7 Jun 2019 10:56 AM
Gday gb,
jaszyjim - Failed against strong opposition.
Will probably be kept in the side but his performance against India needs to be first class, without brain fades.
Another brain fade batting & ordinary bowling he will need to go.

he was pretty good against pakistan and england this year. He'll fire quite a few matches. Shame he didn't fire this one
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan

jaszyjim - 
Perhaps I have a different outlook on the Aussie's in the world cup.
We have countries best of the best, playing the best of the best & in
Australia's case extremely well paid - it is their job.
How is Australia going to get past the other countries in the finals race.
Obviously they have to play well but the key is going to be, play well consistently,
especially against the stronger teams.
WI was a team of barely walking crocs, lacking stamina, yet we only just made it &
Gale's out, if not given could have been an entirely different outcome.
So I look at this Australia side as a business, with a $'s bottom line & how am I
going to get the best bottom line for my $'s spent.
Players that may fire & when they do are great, but are they a good investment -
I wouldn't be spending money on them, I would want good consistency.
Unfortunately both Maxwell & Khawaja fall into this category.
Whilst I've never been a fan of Marsh, my money would go on him to produce in lieu of Khawaja.
Maxwell I would replace with Lyon, he has to be one of the most reliable producers, always given
a good bang for your buck.
With these 2 changes, this is the team at this stage that would seem to be the best investment,
to give the best bottom line.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Gday all,
bowler, preferable spin.

Quite a few have lauded Finch’s captaincy, JJ. 

I was was talking to Grazor last via FB, and had to go to bed because I’m teaching today. 

I missed a fair fair bit of the Windies batting, but couldn’t sleep and got up and watched the innings from 220 - 250. 

Good to hear we won! 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

JJ and Grazor, would you swap Lyon for Zampa?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

That catch from Maxwell running with the direction of the ball was a ripper! 
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan

Decentric - 7 Jun 2019 1:24 PM
JJ and Grazor, would you swap Lyon for Zampa?

jaszyjim - No - swap Maxwell for Lyon
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

before NCN's 92 I was a big advocate for swapping NCN for lyon

now you can't of course haha

No way would I drop maxwell. We are already unbalanced and if we have to chase 350 in a match Maxwell's the only player that can really force the pace
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 7 Jun 2019 2:36 PM

No way would I drop maxwell. We are already unbalanced and if we have to chase 350 in a match Maxwell's the only player that can really force the pace

I didn't think NCN could bat at all!
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan

grazorblade - 7 Jun 2019 2:36 PM

Gday gb
jaszyjim - Ironically I think the team is a better balanced side without Maxwell. We already have
all rounders that are performing and Maxwell on his last performance with both bat & ball is just baggage.
In reality we posted a big score once 5 down without Maxwell. If he is in the team for India and
probably will be, his bowling will just get creamed. If he then doesn't score where are we at for making the finals.
I seem to be the only one saying dump him, so everyone else thinks he is a necessary requirement
for us to win the world cup. 
To balance the team and slow down the big hitters we need 2 spin bowlers - with the medium pace all rounders
this a good batting / bowling balance to the team, with an eye on winning the cup, not just performing well
in the preliminary matches.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search