Feedback on Save The Forum thread in AF

Feedback on Save The Forum thread in AF

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Thanks for all the contributions guys.

There are a number of axioms held by a majority of members of the forum.

I'll post some of them here. Others will be posted when past Mods have expressed their views  in the democratic process.

* There is a demand for more tactical and technical content on the forum.

Action: With not  all the Mod panel feeding back at his point in time we have a few solutions.

1. Melb City Guy has set up a Tactics thread. Hopefully, the more tactically minded members  like New Signing, Melbourne Terrace, Quickflick, Sports Addict, Bunch Of Hacks, City Sam, et al, will participate in this thread. Thanks to Melb City Guy!

2. I'll recommence  the Stats /Analysis threads for the Socceroo games and post separate  threads in AF. Compared to years ago, they generated less interest in recent times  than the past.

* There has been  considerable discussion about whether politics in football should be included in  threads. There seems to be no conclusive majority either way. Persuasive arguments have been advanced by both camps. Some have been drawn to the forum because of the political discussion in football threads. Others repudiate it.

Action: Because of no clear majority, it is not clear how to resolve this issue ATM?

* Amalgamation of Sections of 442.

Some posters have advocated the fusion of  World Football with Australian football with some persuasive arguments as to why. Ditto amalgamating State Football with Australian football. This could possibly generate more traffic and activity  in the main section, which could conceivably termed General Football Discussion.

Action: Not all Mods have replied yet, but one experienced Mod who sees merit in the idea, said there could be problems implementing it. Moreover, there  could be instances  where we lose all the old threads, like some of the Stickies, if this course of action of amalgamation  is pursued.

* Highkick may have  many excellent IT solutions for the forum, but some of us can't visualise them because we don't have his expertise in IT.

Action: Other than meeting up with Highkick and seeing what he means, it is difficult to visualise his ideas.

* Too many linked articles form the FTBL homepage.

This was advanced by Bundoorah Brah, but I'm not sure how many others feel this way?

In another recent discussion, a few of us commented how much we liked the linked articles from the FTBL Home Page, namely an article about Zac Anderson's  career since he left Oz and played in Asia.

If they are football articles, I'm not sure how they are counterproductive to discussion? It may be a case of less posters starting their own threads.

Action: I don't know. Maybe there needs to be more discussion on this issue?

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

* 75% of posters wanted the Mod panel to come down harder on trolling, baiting, bullying, etc.  Conversely, 25% wanted livelier, less sanitised forum, with more  entertainment and conflict.

Action: This should generate more discussion  on the Mod panel, and how to implement  the democratic wishes of the majority of the forum into the delineated parameters set out by the site owner, KA. This also involves encouraging expression of free speech, but the more civil the discussion, the better.

Passionate debate, where the idea is discussed by playing the ball not the man, is encouraged. It is important  to acknowledge that to to discuss different perspectives   - constructively.

Also, please report what you perceive as transgressions of forum rules to the Mod panel. We can't see everything. We can't act on issues we don't know about.

Again thanks for your contributions. Hopefully, we can save the forum.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
The forum didn't need saving and it didn't need sanitising.

75% what a load of shit.

Have any raw data for that number that seems plucked out of thin air?  

Reading the 'forum thread' there's no way there's 75% against.

McJules, Pala WTF?

Member since 2008.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 10 Jun 2019 10:24 AM
The forum didn't need saving and it didn't need sanitising.

75% what a load of shit.

Have any raw data for that number that seems plucked out of thin air?  

Reading the 'forum thread' there's no way there's 75% against.

McJules, Pala WTF?

Pala does read the fozz but last time I seen he was in the Philippines touring or being the videographer for a  band. Give him a chance. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Decentric - 10 Jun 2019 10:18 AM
* 75% of posters wanted the Mod panel to come down harder on trolling, baiting, bullying, etc.  Conversely, 25% wanted livelier, less sanitised forum, with more  entertainment and conflict.

Action: This should generate more discussion  on the Mod panel, and how to implement  the democratic wishes of the majority of the forum into the delineated parameters set out by the site owner, KA. This also involves encouraging expression of free speech, but the more civil the discussion, the better.

Passionate debate, where the idea is discussed by playing the ball not the man, is encouraged. It is important  to acknowledge that to to discuss different perspectives   - constructively.

Also, please report what you perceive as transgressions of forum rules to the Mod panel. We can't see everything. We can't act on issues we don't know about.

Again thanks for your contributions. Hopefully, we can save the forum.

Trying to justify your mod abilities :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Save the forum, making it out like it's in dire need of you saving it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

So you've literally resorted to pulling an arbitrary number out of the ether to suit your agenda of "saving the forum"? Serving people warnings for light-hearted trolling and sarcasm? Fuck me dead, you're like that stereotype of that soccer mum who gets a little bit of power and then abuses it. You literally moderate an internet forum that has at best about 20 regular posters. Get the fuck over yourself. 

Stop using the word "axiom" to make yourself sound smart too - it's evident that you have no idea what it means.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

433 - 10 Jun 2019 3:00 PM
So you've literally resorted to pulling an arbitrary number out of the ether to suit your agenda of "saving the forum"? Serving people warnings for light-hearted trolling and sarcasm? Fuck me dead, you're like that stereotype of that soccer mum who gets a little bit of power and then abuses it. You literally moderate an internet forum that has at best about 20 regular posters. Get the fuck over yourself. 

Stop using the word "axiom" to make yourself sound smart too - it's evident that you have no idea what it means.

I've thrown up a 'non-approved' poll in AF.  Probably will get dragged down but if it's left up let's really find out what people are thinking instead of fairy tale numbers pulled out of people's arses.

Member since 2008.

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

When did this poll that said 75% wanted stricter moderating take place?

I don't remember it.
Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
paulbagzFC - 10 Jun 2019 3:00 PM

Trying to justify your mod abilities :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Save the forum, making it out like it's in dire need of you saving it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

-PB

That's the way he's always rolled.

Expect to see your inbox being filled with Tasmanian olive branches.

A truly desperate and sick individual. 

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Judy Free - 10 Jun 2019 7:53 PM
paulbagzFC - 10 Jun 2019 3:00 PM

That's the way he's always rolled.

Expect to see your inbox being filled with Tasmanian olive branches.

A truly desperate and sick individual. 

He messaged me . A couple were truly  sick. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Decentric - 10 Jun 2019 10:04 AM

2. I'll recommence  the Stats /Analysis threads for the Socceroo games and post separate  threads in AF. Compared to years ago, they generated less interest in recent times  than the past.

This is great news! Its been greatly missed!

On trolling, all forums are recreational and competing with other recreational forums. People come to have an enjoyable chat about their hobbies. If the place is not enjoyable people will go elsewhere. They don't even need to be hurt or offended, they just will gravitate to the most enjoyable place

I was surprised when I went to the theroar, reddit, some overseas football club forums and finding the degree of niceness and respect everyone had for each other by comparison. I was actually shocked when after every roar article people would often first compliment the article. Even that common courtesy on 442 articles would make such a different vibe (to be fair roar writers reply to commenters I don't know if 442 writers do). There is plenty of passionate topics too but even when the israel folau saga comes up (where the debate gets a little personal at times)  somehow even that seems to get less toxic than inane discussion of the optimal way to develop youth, or P&R etc.

Speaking of which where did Joffa go?  It seems so many posters that are both high information and generally come across as nice seem to leave the forum

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

When they say “politics in football” are they meaning discussion on the FFA etc? Because if that was banned from the forum it would be disastrous.

All in all it looks most/all of the recommendations on how to help the forum won’t be implemented.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Iridium1010 - 11 Jun 2019 1:44 PM
When they say “politics in football” are they meaning discussion on the FFA etc? Because if that was banned from the forum it would be disastrous.

All in all it looks most/all of the recommendations on how to help the forum won’t be implemented.

I’m keen to see as many implemented as possible. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Another factor that emerged in this thread, was how popular Joffa was on the forum. 

He has been missed by a silent majority who appreciated his efforts on the forum. 

We don’t know how to contact him though. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

The politics issue was unresolved, Iridium. 

There were persuasive arguments advanced for and against. 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Decentric - 11 Jun 2019 1:51 PM
Another factor that emerged in this thread, was how popular Joffa was on the forum. 

He has been missed by a silent majority who appreciated his efforts on the forum. 

We don’t know how to contact him though. 

why was joffa so popular what did he do others can't? 
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

He made all the match day threads and posted a lot of articles, I never had a problem with him, unfortunately some did.

i guess some felt he posted too many nothing articles, that could’ve been posted in an existing thread.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Iridium1010
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 11 Jun 2019 1:56 PM

Spam.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Melbcityguy - 11 Jun 2019 1:56 PM

He was good with IT. 

He set set up an entire Asian Cup thread. 

He also set up a very well researched live crowd attendances thread as a Sticky. 

He made the effort to research many football articles on the internet and post them here. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

localstar - 10 Jun 2019 6:59 PM
When did this poll that said 75% wanted stricter moderating take place?

I don't remember it.

At the middle part of page 6 there were 17 posters who indicated they wanted less tolerance to trolls and 6-7 who wanted a less sanitized forum. 

This equates to circa 75 percent 25 split, or a ratio of 3:1. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

My understanding politics re football obviously needs to stay in, heck its part of the game - its the Fed/State politics that needs to gtfo imo but thats my pov.

Hey what company actions changes within days ?
Let wait and see before passing on judgement.

Love Football

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
LFC. - 11 Jun 2019 3:00 PM

My understanding politics re football obviously needs to stay in, heck its part of the game - its the Fed/State politics that needs to gtfo imo but thats my pov.

Hey what company actions changes within days ?
Let wait and see before passing on judgement.

Yep that's pretty much it. Of course posts about FFA board elections, the Independent A-League, Second division working group and similar are political but are football related so 100% ok.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Decentric - 11 Jun 2019 2:11 PM
localstar - 10 Jun 2019 6:59 PM

At the middle part of page 6 there were 17 posters who indicated they wanted less tolerance to trolls and 6-7 who wanted a less sanitized forum. 

This equates to circa 75 percent 25 split, or a ratio of 3:1. 

So you've conflated people saying they want outright personal abuse and calls to harm women banned to be meaning that sarcastic and facetious comments should be banned? That's a new dishonest low, even for you.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Can you share the data for this/count? I also don't think the 2 views are mutually exclusive. 
Muz
Muz
Legend

Burztur - 11 Jun 2019 4:18 PM

Can you share the data for this/count? I also don't think the 2 views are mutually exclusive. 

Exactly.  Particularly when no one was asked to contribute via an actual question.  My poll, worded fairly without loaded language, is a far more accurate gauge and it's running at 75% who think the moderation is either about right or needs less.

So that's a big FUCK YOU to these made up statistics.

McJules, Pala, Bowden, Stifler can you not see that this part of the forum, which is like a ghost town normally, is full of fired up forumites that care about what is happening?  It's had more action this last week than the last time Decentric carried on and threatened to leave (if only) 2 years ago.  

I mean for fucks sake.  Run the poll in the main part of the forum and lets find out what the 'majority' want.  It's a far more representative cross section of the forum too.

This thing you've unleashed is a load of fucking bullshit. 

Member since 2008.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
milan_7
milan_7
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Look Decentric, I don't really have a problem with you tbh and I can understand it must be hard to have 90% of the forum hating on you. But why are you talking about being a mod as though you have been elected dictator of a sovereign state, you are a mod on a football forum - get over it. You're talking about the mod panel as if you are a representative of the UN, it is clear that the forum is losing people and has been for ages. If you guys want to keep people here just follow the advice that has been given from the rest of the forum, especially when there are guys like Bowden, pala and mcjules who know what they are doing and have been doing this for ages also on board.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Decentric - 10 Jun 2019 10:04 AM

* Too many linked articles form the FTBL homepage.

This was advanced by Bundoorah Brah, but I'm not sure how many others feel this way?

In another recent discussion, a few of us commented how much we liked the linked articles from the FTBL Home Page, namely an article about Zac Anderson's  career since he left Oz and played in Asia.

If they are football articles, I'm not sure how they are counterproductive to discussion? It may be a case of less posters starting their own threads.

Action: I don't know. Maybe there needs to be more discussion on this issue?

the issue is the forum getting flooded with articles that no one is responding to - just go through the pages and look at how few replies there are.  put them in another thread and when they hit 10 replies (or something) shift them to the appropriate thread.

the threads you want to read get lost in the mix.

i am really against the world football thread getting combined with aus football because this will on further this problem.  state football is fair enough, it is aus football.

the biggest issue for me is trying to find the thread with content i am interested in and the comments i am interested in.  the only way i can see through this is to introduce an upvoting system so that certain threads and comments an get push to the top of the pile. some of the mechannics are already there - there is a like button in threads and on comments.  also the search bar is completely useless.

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

Another thing NodeBB does that perhaps you guys whining about 'new users' mgiht find handy , is it gives those with facebook/twitter/google accounts option to create accounts using these. One click signups easier signups for new users.

Edited
5 Years Ago by highkick05
highkick05
highkick05
Legend

Here's the auto moderation, banning feature for trolls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFoacn670EU

Muz
Muz
Legend

After it was announced by Pala that decentric was stepping down everyone resisted  the opportunity to put the boot in to kick a bloke when he's down.

But after reading the last 2 pages of the save the forum thread its clear as day that the 
 appointment as mod a serious mistake.

Massive dummy spit.

Member since 2008.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search