Tassie fairy tale - Paine and Wade

Tassie fairy tale - Paine and Wade

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Both these players attended a school one or two years apart in grades, where I taught in a few different assignments in an  outer suburban/country school setting in a satellite/beach suburb of Hobart.

Paine used to smack me around when I sometimes bowled to him as a 9 -10 year old in the playground .

Wade was identified  to me by the  PE teacher as having exceptional hand eye ball talent.

I think they lived in the same street and played a lot of street cricket together.

Wade was a little younger and left Tassie, because he thought he had no hope of supplanting Paine as Tassie keeper. He ended up Victorian captain and incumbent Aus Test keeper, then decided to return to Tasmania.

At the same time the idiotic Tassie Shield selectors dropped Australia's best keeper, Paine, from the Tassie team, because his form with the bat had waned.

When Wade came back to Tassie, he was incumbent Test keeper, whilst Paine had been supplanted by Jake Doran and McDermott keeping for Tassie. Paine was a grade cricketer who was about to move to Melbourne to take up a job, because he thought his FC career was over.

Although Paine had been playing BBL with Hobart Hurricanes. He was selected for the Aus 20/20 team.

Like his previous Test sojourn, national selectors identified him as having considerable  leadership potential, with a paucity of it at national team level, probably apart from Adam Voges late Test career. In Tasmania Paine was under the leadership of captains Dan Marsh and the outstanding George Bailey, serving as the latter's deputy.

Now they are both in the Ashes squad, with Wade the reserve keeper. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search