Ashes First Test

Ashes First Test

Author
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Paddles - 2 Aug 2019 11:58 AM
Decentric - 2 Aug 2019 9:41 AM

I watched the full day to be honest. Havnt slept :P

It's the weekend soon. I'll catch up ;)

But I do need to sort out channel 9 on my tv ;)
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

Decentric - 2 Aug 2019 9:40 AM
grazorblade - 2 Aug 2019 9:11 AM

LOL!

Too funny. 

I don't like  the calls for Smith to be reinstated as captain.

Paine is a vasty superior leader of men to Smith, an much more mature, but may lack tactical experience and nous at Test level. The likes of Smith may be able to provide useful tactical advice. However, Paine is our best leader of men, and statesperson, since Mark Taylor. 

Waugh fell out with players like Warne and Slater. Clarke and Ponting had too many tantrums in action. 

Because of injuries to fast bowlers it precludes them as future  leaders. Lyon doesn't have what it takes - too much of a clown and one of the boys. If Head succeeds he is our best captaincy option to replace the ageing Paine.

Gday DC
jaszyjim - here we go again
I did not catch up with the team or the match until the 30th over.
Surprises in both.
Lets get your nonsense about how good a captain Paine is out of the way first - He is not, may be a good keeper
but not a good captain. The captains knock was played by Smith, it will be a captains knock
in a years time & the Aussies will be better for it.
I assume you noted at the end of the days play, how the players congratulated Smith & how Paine
did it - Not the congratulation of a good captain, in fact I thought it disgusting.
So how did we go overall:-
Warner - failed
Bancroft - failed
Khawaja - failed
Smith - excelled
Head - passed
Wade - failed
Paine - failed
Pattinson - failed
Cummins - failed
Siddle - excellent
Lyon - excellent

Interesting, we played 2 wicket keeper batsmen & both failed - one of them the highly thought of by some, captain.
Cannot understand Bancroft & Wade's selection at all - would have been better with M. Marsh
I hope for Australia's sake that Paine does better as captain in the field.
The much maligned by some, Smith has given him a target to do something with - 
Hope he does it.
jaszyjim

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

@jaszyjim
I guess the argument for Paine as a captain is his leadership is meant to make our team more friendly and sportsmanlike

From a distance its hard to tell if he is succeeding

A good captain though is worth a weak performer. Before Finch returned to form his decisions in the field meant he was worth carrying him as a walking wicket. Another was steve fleming for NZ back in the day

to tell you the truth I havent noticed smith or paines captaincy in the field
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

grazorblade - 2 Aug 2019 1:29 PM
@jaszyjim
I guess the argument for Paine as a captain is his leadership is meant to make our team more friendly and sportsmanlike

A good captain though is worth a weak performer. Before Finch returned to form his decisions in the field meant he was worth carrying him as a walking wicket. Another was steve fleming for NZ back in the day

I noticed Smith. Was never impressed. Too much constant fighting with umpires and what not.

Paine seems very good in the dressing room, that is obvious with Aussie's attitude now being polite and positive, but he needs to up it on the field to reach Flemming levels who captained some seriously mediocre teams to above average results.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
jaszyjim - 2 Aug 2019 12:34 PM

Lets get your nonsense about how good a captain Paine is out of the way first - He is not, may be a good keeper
but not a good captain. The captains knock was played by Smith, it will be a captains knock

Good day, JJ.

As a leader of men, Paine is excellent, Smith is rubbish and was/is too immature.

Smith exuded poor body language as captain, perpetually looking upset with his team-mates.  Conversely, Paine looks in charge and is much more relaxed.

Smith's innings was a very good innings, but it doesn't  extrapolate to captaincy.

Captains can inspire others by more than deeds. Agreeing to cheat is morally a very poor example. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

grazorblade - 2 Aug 2019 1:29 PM
@jaszyjim

Paine is a humorous sledger.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Might see you blokes later.

Attending a Tas Cricket Assoc party tonight!
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Give it a rest Jim.

Have a boozy nite DC. I will be watching Cummins and Pattinson making mincemeat of the Pommie top order.
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

jaszyjim - 2 Aug 2019 12:34 PM

Gday DC
jaszyjim - here we go again
I did not catch up with the team or the match until the 30th over.
Surprises in both.
I assume you noted at the end of the days play, how the players congratulated Smith & how Paine
did it - Not the congratulation of a good captain, in fact I thought it disgusting.
So how did we go overall:-
Warner - failed
Bancroft - failed
Khawaja - failed
Smith - excelled
Head - passed
Wade - failed
Paine - failed
Pattinson - failed
Cummins - failed
Siddle - excellent
Lyon - excellent

Interesting, we played 2 wicket keeper batsmen & both failed - one of them the highly thought of by some, captain.
Cannot understand Bancroft & Wade's selection at all - would have been better with M. Marsh
The much maligned by some, Smith has given him a target to do something with - 
Hope he does it.
jaszyjim

I wish we played Carey instead of Wade, perhaps we might next test if Wade doesn't get runs next innings.  

We need to find a few new batsmen ASAP probably 1-2, I don't have much confidence in our top 3 with the ball moving. I also don't l have much confidence in M. Marsh if it comes to that... I would like someone in the top 3 who complements Warner by being a sold grafting player that is hard to dismiss.

Anyway we can win the test from here, we will need around 400 in the 2nd innings that is a chance for the batsmen to make some runs in what might be easier conditions.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 2 Aug 2019 5:17 PM

Give it a rest Jim.

Have a boozy nite DC. I will be watching Cummins and Pattinson making mincemeat of the Pommie batting.

Paine is a vasty superior leader of men to Smith, an much more mature, but may lack tactical experience and nous at Test level. The likes of Smith may be able to provide useful tactical advice. However, Paine is our best leader of men, and statesperson, since Mark Taylor. 

Totally agree. Make Smithy v/c so he has an official channel thru which to impart that tactical nous onto Tim.

Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

who complements Warner by being a sold grafting player that is hard to dismiss.

We have one in Bancroft. He is back after a long time out of the test side. Give him a chance. He earned his spot on form in local conditions.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

There are no sufficient superlatives to describe Steve Smith. When I went  to bed well into the last session he was on 70.. having dragged us out of the mire with help from Sids. He musta then led a brutal assault on a tiring attack to finish unconconqued on almost 150. That knock shud move him back to #1 on rankings and keep him there. The man is a phenomenon. 

This is the Pommies trying to break thru Smithy's defence.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Cummins seems to be lacking rhythm
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 2 Aug 2019 9:17 PM

Cummins seems to be lacking rhythm

Not a lot of movement on the second morning.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Problem for Aus attack, Lyon bowling in the morning... Need a new Shane Watson?
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Pattinson hits Roots stumps but no bails fall

ARNIE= LEGEND

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

RedKat - 2 Aug 2019 9:43 PM
Pattinson hits Roots stumps but no bails fall

Yes extraordinary. Patto went over to the ump and muttered something then lifted the bails himself to see they werent glued.  ha. What a ball.. missed Root's outside edge by a millimetre.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

lbw not reviewed and the bails not flying off

England should be 3 down but have been gifted 2 wickets after they were gifted one in the first innings!

Hope our luck turns! There is plenty in the pitch!
Edited
5 Years Ago by grazorblade
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

nicked off lyon wide of slip

given out lbw but inside eadge saves them

keep your head up australia! Bowling well and plenty in the pitch!
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

chopped on but his back foot saves him
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

lyon is threatening often enough but struggling to get maidens which eases the pressure from siddle at the other end who went back to back maidens

back to back boundaries now
Edited
5 Years Ago by grazorblade
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

knicked over slips for 4
TokyoPom
TokyoPom
Fan
Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)

grazorblade - 2 Aug 2019 11:23 PM
knicked over slips for 4

Pattinson getting frustrated now
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

whipped off the pads for 4 then knicked through the vacant 4th slip for 4

ugh mentally this has to be taxing for oz
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

I don't know if they were edges but paine has dropped 3 down the leg side. Doesn't inspire confidence if we do get a catch down there
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

now a nick flies between 3rd and 4th slip at catchable height
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

next ball driven for 4

was that a missed chance the ball before? No one dived..
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

hit the gloves, popped into the air and through the slips again!
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

edged for four, he softened his hands there so that was reasonably safe
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

i reckon there has been a chance every dozen balls but england are 1-144

Crazy
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search