Ashes First Test

Ashes First Test

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
jaszyjim - 6 Aug 2019 8:59 AM
Decentric - 5 Aug 2019 9:29 PM

Gday Dc again,
jaszyjim - not a slag off at Paine, but is he not staying down like he used to?
My memory is, he would start to move horizontal before moving vertically.
He now seems to start to rise very early. This I noted first when he missed
a difficult chance off Smith & yesterday when he went the wrong way to Siddle.
Not saying they would have taken anyway, it just made me look at his movement.

He was wrong footed in that instance.

Sangakarra did a comparative analysis of Bairstow and Paine, with freeze frames.

He lauded Paine for staying down longer and catching the ball much closer to his eye line, whilst he claimed Bairstow had too much distance from where he caught the ball and his eyes.

Paine mishandled a few easier balls yesterday though. Having said that, Sangakarra opines Paine is an excellent keeper - one of the best in the world.

The TCA members who are former cricketers think Paine is one of the best Aussie keepers we've had outside Manou and Healy in the last few decades.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric - 6 Aug 2019 9:08 AM
jaszyjim - 6 Aug 2019 8:59 AM

He was wrong footed in that instance.

Sangakarra did a comparative analysis of Bairstow and Paine, with freeze frames.

He lauded Paine for staying down longer and catching the ball much closer to his eye line, whilst he claimed Bairstow had too much distance from where he caught the ball and his eyes.

Paine mishandled a few easier balls yesterday though. Having said that, Sangakarra opines Paine is an excellent keeper - one of the best in the world.

The TCA members who are former cricketers think Paine is one other best Aussie keepers  we've had outside Manou and Healy.

Gday Dc,
jaszyjim - I agree with you how good a keeper Paine is & not slagging him.
In the Siddle instance, It was noted by the commentators, that whilst he was wrong footed, he had
had risen too much to change direction.
In regards to Bairstow he will probably be replaced anyway.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

jaszyjim - 6 Aug 2019 9:20 AM

In the Siddle instance, It was noted by the commentators, that whilst he was wrong footed, he had
had risen too much to change direction.

Interesting.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

In regards to Bairstow he will probably be replaced anyway.

I've asked the question, is Buttler a better keeper than Bairstow?

When Buttler kept in the WC, I didn't notice many mistakes, but Test cricket is so much harder and puts Bairstow under much more scrutiny.

I've been told Foakes is superior to both.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Back to keeping, I thought Nevill was pretty good.

I also watched a Shield game where Baggers asked me what the reserve NSW keeper was when he filled in for Nevill.

He also looked very good, good enough to replace Paine when he retires. I can't remember his name?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

A touch off topic. Next Gen off to India.

Ben McDermott and Josh Philippe headline a 14-man squad that will play six white-ball games in India later this month and work alongside legendary fast bowler Glenn McGrath.

The Squad: Tom Andrews (SA), Oliver Davies (NSW), Dan Fallins (NSW), Jake Fraser-McGurk (Vic), Cameron Green (WA), Ryan Hadley (NSW), Aaron Hardie (WA), Lachlan Hearne (NSW), Josh Inglis (WA), Ben McDermott (Tas), Jonathon Merlo (Vic), Todd Murphy (Vic), Josh Philippe (WA), Lloyd Pope (SA)

Teen sensation Oliver Davies an exceptionally welcome surprise. One I have nominated as pulling on the Baggy Green in the future.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Decentric - 6 Aug 2019 8:33 AM
baggygreenmania - 6 Aug 2019 12:08 AM

Close to mine, Baggers, although:

Warner 2

Bancroft 2

Wade 8

Paine 5 (mishandled a few yesterday, thankfully they were not catches)

Siddle 7

GOAT 9

DC I always add 1 for Paine's captaincy. Or any captain.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 6 Aug 2019 9:32 AM

Interesting.

I read it as he had moved to the left to follow the ball's trajectory.  Too late to recover when the ball deviated off the bat. Comms said something similar.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 6 Aug 2019 9:34 AM

When Buttler kept in the WC, I didn't notice many mistakes, but Test cricket is so much harder and puts Bairstow under much more scrutiny.

I have heard that about Foakes too. So lets have Woakes, Stokes and Foakes.. the three stooges to add some merriment to Lords proceedings. ha ha
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Speaking of Stokes.. has his star fallen in recent times. Does not look the same punishing bat nor as potent with the ball as used to. Sprayed it around at Edgbaston. When did he last score a ton in any format or take a five for? 
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 6 Aug 2019 9:37 AM
Back to keeping, I thought Nevill was pretty good.

I also watched a Shield game where Baggers asked me what the reserve NSW keeper was when he filled in for Nevill.

He also looked very good, good enough to replace Paine when he retires. I can't remember his name?

Kid was Baxter Holt DC. National U19 keeper past two years.. Watch for that name.  Another Gilchrist?
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

Paddles - 5 Aug 2019 3:46 PM
MikeR - 5 Aug 2019 2:17 PM

Lol Mike. Thanks for the chuckle. 

Mate you think that's funny, according to baggers tail-enders don't count and mislead, and we've established that McDermott was better than McGrath
Craig McDermott Batsmen 1-7 220 wickets 124 innings = 1.77 top order wickets per innings
Glenn McGrath Batsmen 1-7 421 wickets 243 innings = 1.73 top order wickets per innings

But McDermott was better than Joel Garner 1.54, Michael Holding 1.53, Curtley Ambrose 1.64, Wasim Akram 1.49, the list just goes on. McDermott is in the top 5 ever Imran Kahn was 1.81 but there are not many others but you'll love this the 2 greats 

Dennis Lillee Batsmen 1-7 258 wickets 132 innings = 1.95 top order wickets per innings
Sir Richard Hadlee Batsmen 1-7 302 wickets 150 innings = 2.01 top order wickets per innings.

More bragging rights there Paddles
My all time 4 prong pace attack Hadlee, Lillee, Imran Kahn and the mighty Craig McDermott, they'll clean up the top order in no time. Amazing how some players are never really appreciated for what a talent they actually were.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Decentric - 6 Aug 2019 9:34 AM

Foakes is the best wicket keeper in England by a country mile. Jos Buttler freely admits this.

Foakes has had the luxury of growing into pro sports under Alec Stewart, and Stewart admits he is already twice the keeper he ever was. To ice the cake, he spent years playing with Sangakarra at Surrey.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/07/alec-stewart-says-england-are-finally-using-the-best-wicketkeeper-in-the-world-in-ben-foakes-8115512/

Stewart was calling him the best keeper in the world in 2017... well before he was close to England selection.  He is very very slick with the gloves.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/ben-foakes-surrey-england-best-wicketkeeper-in-the-world-alec-stewart-county-bairstow-buttler-test/2017-04-05

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

MikeR - 6 Aug 2019 11:06 AM
Paddles - 5 Aug 2019 3:46 PM

Mate you think that's funny, according to baggers tail-enders don't count and mislead, and we've established that McDermott was better than McGrath
Craig McDermott Batsmen 1-7 220 wickets 124 innings = 1.77 top order wickets per innings
Glenn McGrath Batsmen 1-7 421 wickets 243 innings = 1.73 top order wickets per innings

But McDermott was better than Joel Garner 1.54, Michael Holding 1.53, Curtley Ambrose 1.64, Wasim Akram 1.49, the list just goes on. McDermott is in the top 5 ever Imran Kahn was 1.81 but there are not many others but you'll love this the 2 greats 

Dennis Lillee Batsmen 1-7 258 wickets 132 innings = 1.95 top order wickets per innings
Sir Richard Hadlee Batsmen 1-7 302 wickets 150 innings = 2.01 top order wickets per innings.

More bragging rights there Paddles
My all time 4 prong pace attack Hadlee, Lillee, Imran Kahn and the mighty Craig McDermott, they'll clean up the top order in no time. Amazing how some players are never really appreciated for what a talent they actually were.

Oh, I think Hadlee, Lillee and Imran would be one helluva attack. But Billy aint the 4th prong. You're totally ignoring how many runs they gave away per obtaining those wickets. I'd rather have someone like Bruce Reid to provide variety - even if the WI left a question mark there, if not someone more obvious like Malcolm Marshall. Waqar was good with the older ball wasn't he to be 4th seamer? Walsh to bowl upwind perhaps :P
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 6 Aug 2019 11:30 AM

Oh, I think Hadlee, Lillee and Imran would be one helluva attack. But Billy aint the 4th prong. You're totally ignoring how many runs they gave away per obtaining those wickets. I'd rather have someone like Bruce Reid to provide variety - even if the WI left a question mark there, if not someone more obvious like Malcolm Marshall. Waqar was good with the older ball wasn't he to be 4th seamer? Walsh to bowl upwind perhaps :P

But Billy aint the 4th prong.

Nor mine. I want Waqar. If a leftie Reid or left arm swing maestro Wasim.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 6 Aug 2019 11:03 AM

Speaking of Stokes.. has his star fallen in recent times. Does not look the same punishing bat nor as potent with the ball as used to. Sprayed it around at Edgbaston. When did he last score a ton in any format or take a five for? 

His bowling over the past few years is better on the books than I thought. Helped by his demo job vs India last year when he took 6/for. His batting has been ordinary in tests - good for an allrounder, but not for a batsman at 5 and 6. I posted the England stats for the past few years around the various forums. 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=bowling_average;spanmin1=01+Jan+2017;spanval1=span;team=1;template=results;type=allround

If you mean Stokes as an ODI batsman, he has been brilliant over this period. Averaging over 50 (56 to be exact). But so has Bairstow. There are no weaknesses in the England ODI team. Its one of the best ever, if not the best ODI team ever. But there test team has holes everywhere. Stokes was motm in the World Cup final in case you missed the match. 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=bowling_average;spanmin1=01+Jan+2017;spanval1=span;team=1;template=results;type=allround

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

Paddles - 6 Aug 2019 11:30 AM

Oh, I think Hadlee, Lillee and Imran would be one helluva attack. But Billy aint the 4th prong. You're totally ignoring how many runs they gave away per obtaining those wickets. I'd rather have someone like Bruce Reid - if not someone obvious like Malcolm Marshall. Waqar was good with the older ball wasn't he? :P

Damn M Marshall, forgot about him, So I guess McDermott is out. But Billy does beat Waqar only 1.71, even McGrath just pips him. Bruce Reid surprising 2.05. So the Australian all time bowling attack would be Bruce Reid, Dennis Lillee, Craig McDermott and Shane Warne, I'm surprised no Glenn McGrath amazing how he is plummeting down the list I can no longer consider him a legend, just a good endurance bowler. But Bruce Reid the man is a legend  But I'm surprised that Mitch Johnson who was always called a tail end bully, is hardly that at all coming in at 1.6, just a good bowler and only 27% were actually tail enders.

I think we've established that we must take into account all wickets including tail-enders, they all count. Dale Steyn is a prime example same percentage of tail enders as Starc with 31.7% but what a record, I always enjoyed watching him bowl in his prime. Fastest pace bowler to 400 test wickets with Hadlee only 80 tests for both of them. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

I would say top order wickets per match is misleading because other bowlers might take away the chance to get a wicket

top order averages and strike rate is probably a better metric
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

If you mean Stokes as an ODI batsman, he has been brilliant over this period.

Tests.. pure cricket not the pyjama stuff. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 6 Aug 2019 3:38 PM

So the Australian all time bowling attack would be Bruce Reid, Dennis Lillee, Craig McDermott and Shane Warne,

Are you serious. You leave out McGrath over some minor stat. McDermott did not even crack 300 Test wickets. His average was @29.. high so was his s/r. Pigeon took 563 @21+. I dont want Billy anywhere near an attack that has Lillee in it. He shows him up too much. Lillee 355 @23 high. DK and McGrath open my attack with Reid first change. Warne is a given.
Edited
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Yeah - that's what I thought you would have meant - except you said " When did he last score a ton in any format or take a five for?"...

I've noticed the Aussie media really struggling with the difference between Bairstow, Stokes, even Ali from the ODI game to the test arena. Same holds for Roy too.

In ODI cricket, they're  a mile on top of the pile, in tests - they're 5th best... at best. I reckon Pak and WI would roll them right now without Anderson.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Pure cricket sorts the real cricketers out.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Anyone gunna comment on this?

Next Gen off to India.
Ben McDermott and Josh Philippe headline a 14-man squad that will play six white-ball games in India later this month and work alongside legendary fast bowler Glenn McGrath.
The Squad: Tom Andrews (SA), Oliver Davies (NSW), Dan Fallins (NSW), Jake Fraser-McGurk (Vic), Cameron Green (WA), Ryan Hadley (NSW), Aaron Hardie (WA), Lachlan Hearne (NSW), Josh Inglis (WA), Ben McDermott (Tas), Jonathon Merlo (Vic), Todd Murphy (Vic), Josh Philippe (WA), Lloyd Pope (SA)

I had no idea Davies was on CA radar. He is not even 19. Pleased to see Cameron Green back after stress fractures of back last summer. This kid excites me as a future fair dinkum all rounder. Good to see Philippe recognised too. Want a big Shield summer from this rare talent.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Check out the crappy Ashes hi lights on NineNow. 10 mins.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 6 Aug 2019 4:10 PM

Pure cricket sorts the real cricketers out.

That's a bold claim to make when the ashes is 4th vs 5th, and we both know eng lost to WI and Aus lost to Pak both raked lower....

The ashes is a cripple fight... no matter how its painted.... no team, is fighting for bronze...
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 6 Aug 2019 4:38 PM
Anyone gunna comment on this?

Next Gen off to India.
The Squad: Tom Andrews (SA), Oliver Davies (NSW), Dan Fallins (NSW), Jake Fraser-McGurk (Vic), Cameron Green (WA), Ryan Hadley (NSW), Aaron Hardie (WA), Lachlan Hearne (NSW), Josh Inglis (WA), Ben McDermott (Tas), Jonathon Merlo (Vic), Todd Murphy (Vic), Josh Philippe (WA), Lloyd Pope (SA)

I had no idea Davies was on CA radar. He is not even 19. Pleased to see Cameron Green back after stress fractures of back last summer. This kid excites me as a future fair dinkum all rounder. Good to see Philippe recognised too. Want a big Shield summer from this rare talent.

I did see that side Baggers, my first thought being what a joke. Oliver Davies? Where's Mackenzie Harvey. Against the NZ side in the youth matches Davies scored 58, 44 and 59* av 80, yes that is good, but in the same games Harvey scored 55, 54*, 83* av 192. If you select Davies, you have to select Harvey. Lachlan Hearne Kidding right that must be a joke, same series averages 15, it must be great to be born in NSW, but C'mon Baggers even you must see it. Jake Fraser-McGurk selection? maybe it's because he's 17 but there's not much there IMO. Ryan Hadley??? In the youth ODI tournament he took 3/128 in the entire tournament, where is Zac Evans, he took 13/193 in the recent Sri Lanka tournament,

Of the ones with some sort of experience Inglis is keeper, Tom Andrews average sort of all rounder, Fallins bowls with an average 83 in List A games he has played, Merlo has performed at a reasonable level in Futures so he's OK. My No 1 & 2 selection Aaron Hardie and Cameron Green, WA keeps producing them. MCDermott, I suppose his List A performances have been incredible av 50 so OK. Haven't seen much of Murphy, and Phillippe and Pope select themselves.

But if this is the future especially in the batting region, I hope Smith plays till he is 40, we're going to need him. Quick question though Baggers where are you putting all these future Baggy Green players from NSW, there are only 6 batting positions, and you do realise there are 5 other states. Maybe Davies can replace Patterson or Sangha or Hughes or Justin Avendano, or Baxter Holt, or Nick Bertus, or Jack Edwards etc, maybe he should just concentrate on being selected for NSW first. Or are you saying that they will get a baggy green, they will fail, then the position opens again for another player. Expecting Smith and Head not to be around for long? Only 2 middle order positions available in the next 10 years, that I can see if those 2 continue to develop and perform, and by then each year the next best thing will come along. Oliver Davies isn't even the best in the youth side, Harvey is and that is why he was made captain, he is a talent. The only thing Davies has going for him is he was born in NSW, so he'll get an opportunity before others, that will have to perform incredibly well just to get notice.

What about Keegan Oates? The Number 1 batsman who averaged 72 at the last nationals, scored 95 in one of the recent Sri Lanka games, where Davies scored 50. Who you may ask? He's a Tasmanian who also gets no press, so he must be a no-one. You could also throw in Will Sutherland, performing at a lot higher standard than Davies has. What's that now 4 or 5 that have produced at the same level if not better than Davies, but no recognition.

If CA were actually interested in giving young talent a developing opportunity, then someone like 20 year old Max Bryant should be given that opportunity, He was 14th last year in the leading run scorers in the Big Bash, so impressive that India are looking at him. If CA continue to overlook talent like he's got then he will go looking for the dollars concentrating on T20 and another future player is lost. That is part of the reason that CA are doctoring reports to keep Advertising contracts, because the fact is when players from around Australia see someone like Sangha and Hearne given all the opportunities even though they have never really performed at the National championships, they look for another career, I've witnessed that happening up here and it must be happening all over Australia. That's the reason we're struggling to produce quality now, we're losing them.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/caught-out-cricket-s-inflated-playing-numbers-revealed-20190720-p5292s.html

In actuality Cricket is only the 7th participated sport in Australia, though they claim to be No 1. Kids are leaving the sport, No 1 reason Bias selections. I told you this was happening a couple of years ago and now CA have been caught out. More kids play Rugby Union now than cricket and we suck at Rugby Union. The Future of Cricket is becoming grim. but as long as you get those NSW players wearing their Baggy Greens you're happy but what you are really saying they're the best of the rejects of other sports.
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 7 Aug 2019 3:39 AM
baggygreenmania - 6 Aug 2019 4:38 PM

I did see that side Baggers, my first thought being what a joke. Oliver Davies? Where's Mackenzie Harvey. Against the NZ side in the youth matches Davies scored 58, 44 and 59* av 80, yes that is good, but in the same games Harvey scored 55, 54*, 83* av 192. If you select Davies, you have to select Harvey. Lachlan Hearne Kidding right that must be a joke, same series averages 15, it must be great to be born in NSW, but C'mon Baggers even you must see it. Jake Fraser-McGurk selection? maybe it's because he's 17 but there's not much there IMO. Ryan Hadley??? In the youth ODI tournament he took 3/128 in the entire tournament, where is Zac Evans, he took 13/193 in the recent Sri Lanka tournament,

Of the ones with some sort of experience Inglis is keeper, Tom Andrews average sort of all rounder, Fallins bowls with an average 83 in List A games he has played, Merlo has performed at a reasonable level in Futures so he's OK. My No 1 & 2 selection Aaron Hardie and Cameron Green, WA keeps producing them. MCDermott, I suppose his List A performances have been incredible av 50 so OK. Haven't seen much of Murphy, and Phillippe and Pope select themselves.

But if this is the future especially in the batting region, I hope Smith plays till he is 40, we're going to need him. Quick question though Baggers where are you putting all these future Baggy Green players from NSW, there are only 6 batting positions, and you do realise there are 5 other states. Maybe Davies can replace Patterson or Sangha or Hughes or Justin Avendano, or Baxter Holt, or Nick Bertus, or Jack Edwards etc, maybe he should just concentrate on being selected for NSW first. Or are you saying that they will get a baggy green, they will fail, then the position opens again for another player. Expecting Smith and Head not to be around for long? Only 2 middle order positions available in the next 10 years, that I can see if those 2 continue to develop and perform, and by then each year the next best thing will come along. Oliver Davies isn't even the best in the youth side, Harvey is and that is why he was made captain, he is a talent. The only thing Davies has going for him is he was born in NSW, so he'll get an opportunity before others, that will have to perform incredibly well just to get notice.

What about Keegan Oates? The Number 1 batsman who averaged 72 at the last nationals, scored 95 in one of the recent Sri Lanka games, where Davies scored 50. Who you may ask? He's a Tasmanian who also gets no press, so he must be a no-one. You could also throw in Will Sutherland, performing at a lot higher standard than Davies has. What's that now 4 or 5 that have produced at the same level if not better than Davies, but no recognition.

If CA were actually interested in giving young talent a developing opportunity, then someone like 20 year old Max Bryant should be given that opportunity, He was 14th last year in the leading run scorers in the Big Bash, so impressive that India are looking at him. If CA continue to overlook talent like he's got then he will go looking for the dollars concentrating on T20 and another future player is lost. That is part of the reason that CA are doctoring reports to keep Advertising contracts, because the fact is when players from around Australia see someone like Sangha and Hearne given all the opportunities even though they have never really performed at the National championships, they look for another career, I've witnessed that happening up here and it must be happening all over Australia. That's the reason we're struggling to produce quality now, we're losing them.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/caught-out-cricket-s-inflated-playing-numbers-revealed-20190720-p5292s.html

In actuality Cricket is only the 7th participated sport in Australia, though they claim to be No 1. Kids are leaving the sport, No 1 reason Bias selections. I told you this was happening a couple of years ago and now CA have been caught out. More kids play Rugby Union now than cricket and we suck at Rugby Union. The Future of Cricket is becoming grim. but as long as you get those NSW players wearing their Baggy Greens you're happy but what you are really saying they're the best of the rejects of other sports.

Tim Paine (c), Cameron Bancroft, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Mitchell Marsh, Michael Neser, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade.

This is the likely squad to play Worcestershire in tonite's tour game.

MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 7 Aug 2019 9:56 AM

Tim Paine (c), Cameron Bancroft, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Mitchell Marsh, Michael Neser, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade.

Resting Warner, he needs the practice.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

I did see that side Baggers, my first thought being what a joke. Oliver Davies? Where's Mackenzie Harvey.

Bet your first was where are all the Qlders. Yes where are they. Not producing good players your side of the border these days?  Knew having all those Blues picked was sure to raze those Qld hackles.  Agree Harvey omission was baffling.  Bryant is a young version of Aaron finch. Even looks like him. Will be good in white ball as all he has to do in that is see ball hit ball. No technique to speak of. There was a promising youngster from your national underage side cupla years back.. opened and skippered. Angus something. He seems to have gone from the radar.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 7 Aug 2019 10:22 AM

Resting Warner, he needs the practice.

Langer said "Dave has been playing a lot  of white ball lately". Hello Alfie he needs to be playing red ball. Shows you how white ball cricket takes precedence in the thinking of those running our game. Frankly I have no qualms if he never plays for us again. His record in England is not all that flash anyway.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search