SBS Lose the rights to host the EPL

SBS Lose the rights to host the EPL

Author
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/sbs-lose-english-premier-league-rights-as-optus-lock-down/vr81hst85tbf166ltolm63qhq

Big blow for SBS - might mean they will show a few HAL games with channel 10 and Foxsports? 

Meant to say SBS but it wont let me change the title if the mods wanna help me out thanks 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

Edited
5 Years Ago by paladisious
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Edited
5 Years Ago by Kamaryn
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Hope that experiment was worth flogging half the World Cup away to optus.

Viennese Vuck

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

I guess that's the end of football on SBS.  They were once the go-to football network. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 8 Aug 2019 1:32 AM
Hope that experiment was worth flogging half the World Cup away to optus.

Yup, fucking sold out for nothing.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

any chance ch 10 might take up the reigns in conjunction with the HAL?
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Fuck SBS, sold off their football & ethnic cultural heritage for a bunch of SJW content.  

They don't deserve football & after they what they did to Stajic they can all suck the cocks of patrons at pokie dens for a top up to their Newstart Allowance.  
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Their coverage has been going downhill for a decade. presenters with a lack of charisma and no clever ideas, jesus, watching zdrillic, Kalac with Lucy Zelic should’ve been be flagged by the UN as a crime against humanity, section 2B - torture through boredom.  
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

tsf - 8 Aug 2019 10:12 AM
Their coverage has been going downhill for a decade. presenters with a lack of charisma and no clever ideas, jesus, watching zdrillic, Kalac with Lucy Zelic should’ve been be flagged by the UN as a crime against humanity, section 2B - torture through boredom.  

To be fair, they were excited when Croatia made the WC final.  I am glad that SBS have no football left.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

You knew the days were numbered when TWG on Sunday went completely down the drain and shortened their Sunday program before completely giving up and moving to Monday.

They should probably keep focused on cheaper content outside of primetime like the Copa Libertadores. If they can nab rights to the Copa America with the Roos involved, they'll be onto a winner. 

Viennese Vuck

Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 8 Aug 2019 10:08 AM
Fuck SBS, sold off their football & ethnic cultural heritage for a bunch of SJW content.  

They don't deserve football & after they what they did to Stajic they can all suck the cocks of patrons at pokie dens for a top up to their Newstart Allowance.  

God, you're an unpleasant person. 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Sold their soul for one game of premier league . Serves them right but this a blow for those who only watch the ine game of premier league 

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 8 Aug 2019 10:32 AM
Sold their soul for one game of premier league . Serves them right but this a blow for those who only watch the ine game of premier league 

yep. giving away a large chunk or world cup games was unforgivable. 

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Derider - 8 Aug 2019 10:29 AM

God, you're an unpleasant person. 

I'm merely the written manifestation of everyone's conscience. :cool:  

Have a nice day dear.  

Edited
5 Years Ago by ErogenousZone
HighTimes
HighTimes
Amateur
Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)

Oh boy do i have some thoughts on this.

Okay so, making shows which don't make loads of money just to rep our multi-culturalism and make immigrants new and old feel at home here can easily be construed as 'SJW' content (football coverage included), so maybe put the guns away bucko. Football in this country is & was, for and by sheilas wogs and pooftas - Football has always been a fantastic progressive force in our culture which is by-default dominated by super-macho eggball codes supported by primarily straight-white men. SBS can care about football and the poor bastards on Newstart at the same time - The main reason SBS has had to tighten it's belt (and lose football) is that it has constantly been told to be more mainstream and corporate while having had it's funding cut by conservative ideologues. I genuinely believe the enormous cultural force of idiots associating anything positive in this country with gross buzzwords like SJW has had a huge effect on broadcasters like SBS and the ABC which has then contributed to the loss of football coverage, not the other way around like you seem to think.
Edited
5 Years Ago by HighTimes
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

SBS ceased being what it was set up for a long time ago. 

It's a joke they are 80% funded by government. It hardly represents multi-cultural Aus anymore. It's just a try-hard channel 4 uk.
Give the money to community TV.
Ameryn74
Ameryn74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)

Does anyone know if the Liverpool channel will be on Foxtel this year? I enjoyed that last year.
aok
aok
Pro

Ameryn74 - 8 Aug 2019 1:18 PM
Does anyone know if the Liverpool channel will be on Foxtel this year? I enjoyed that last year.

They cut all those channels recently to try and save the $450 odd million they're losing annually. After that huge cost saving, they only need to find another $449.50mil in savings to get back in the black. 

It's a shame, they were good channels.
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

LMAO +1 

Davstar
Davstar
World Class

Feed_The_Brox - 8 Aug 2019 9:23 AM
any chance ch 10 might take up the reigns in conjunction with the HAL?

They wouldnt have the $$$ to pique interest from optus. 

They are the solo way to watch the EPL this season 

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

I remember back in the 90's the joke was that SBS stood for Sex Boobs Soccer. It hasn't always been taken as a given that there'd be EPL on FTA (as we saw when Fox had the rights) but it was nice these past few seasons to have 1 fixture every weekend on SBS, and I appreciated that they didn't always just go for a game between two sides outside the top 6. For such a widely followed league, it's a shame they couldn't work something out like what the NRL has, where 3 games a week are on FTA and the rest are subscriber-only. 

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Last couple of years I've been going down the pub on Saturday night to watch the Premier League, but to be honest now that I have Kayo, it's no big loss.

I'll be enjoying the Motherwell vs Celtic match tonight and I watched the Liverpool highlights on the computer today so no big loss.

Premier League, meh.

Champagne Football
Champagne Football
Super Fan
Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)

All I wanted was one game a week.  One stinking game...
Champagne Football
Champagne Football
Super Fan
Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)

Have to go back to listening to the BBC on my crystal radio kit.
HighTimes
HighTimes
Amateur
Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)

tsf - 8 Aug 2019 12:35 PM
SBS ceased being what it was set up for a long time ago. 

It's a joke they are 80% funded by government. It hardly represents multi-cultural Aus anymore. It's just a try-hard channel 4 uk.

Funding independent comedy, stuff that would scare off commercial channels, is a social good SBS does. I'ts not channel four at all, CH4 is far more influenced by advertising dollars.

We need to keep publicly funding tv/media/art or no-one making shows would take the risk of speaking truth to power, just in case bloody Subaru or whoever would pull their funding. I'm happy my taxes go to making sure at least some Australian TV content isn't corrupted by advertising dollars. We need SBS and I think we all agree about that.

Have you noticed why major Aussie channel's attempts at political satire are nowhere near as good as SBS or ABC's. All the ABC and SBS have to do is live by their charter, that allows a lot more creative freedom than a show made for channel 9 has, as they're all scared of angering corporations who might pull their advertising dollars.

Do you think any commercial channel would have allowed The Checkout on their channel? no they would't, because they'd lose all that sweet SWISS money if they decided to do a story on how lots of vitamins are just snake-oil. The Checkout is both hilarious and an important unbiased consumer advocate program, and its a show only a channel unbiased by advertising could provide

This is why we need some fully exactly or partially governmentally funded channels. Without them we'd be living in a trash-heap of un-scientific docor Oz crap and married at first sight bull.

Being on the side of the consumer just isn't in the commercial channel's DNA. they're there to sell you crap - not to educate. entertain or unbiasedly inform.

I don't disagree that SBS isn't as good as it was years ago, but it also gets less public funding now - Which is a big part of the reason for this decline.

I agree 100%, look at something like The Chris Gethard Show! They did 150 episodes for free on the manhattan public access chanell and that has started the careers of scores of comedians. But of course, supporting Community TV and fairly funding Government funded channels aren't mutually exclusive things either.

I did a minor in Media Studies at the tertiary level so I love talking about this if anyone has questions, just shoot :)

Edited
5 Years Ago by HighTimes
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

^^^I'd love for the ABC and SBS "live by their charter".  As it is their left wing bias means I hope they are de-funded and shut down.  The ABC's coverage of the election for example was a disgrace,and for that alone they deserved a budget cut of at least 90%.

Davstar
Davstar
World Class

Enzo Bearzot - 13 Aug 2019 7:30 PM
^^^I'd love for the ABC and SBS "live by their charter".  As it is their left wing bias means I hope they are de-funded and shut down.  The ABC's coverage of the election for example was a disgrace,and for that alone they deserved a budget cut of at least 90%.

+1 but more for ABC they are so left it isnt funny!! - absolutely cant stand the ABC i hope they get privatised 

SBS is a bit more balance but they sold out there football soul..... 

Though i'd say it is easier to access both HAL and EPL content then it was 7 years ago with foxtel losing its grip and strangling football fans out of $75+ a month to watch football in HD - SBS was the shining champion that brought what content it could but those days a long gone and it is sad to see... 

Edited
5 Years Ago by Davstar
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Davstar - 13 Aug 2019 7:51 PM
Enzo Bearzot - 13 Aug 2019 7:30 PM

+1 but more for ABC they are so left it isnt funny!! - absolutely cant stand the ABC i hope they get privatised 

SBS is a bit more balance but they sold out there football soul..... 

Though i'd say it is easier to access both HAL and EPL content then it was 7 years ago with foxtel losing its grip and strangling football fans out of $75+ a month to watch football in HD - SBS was the shining champion that brought what content it could but those days a long gone and it is sad to see... 

😂😂😂😂  I swear I read and hear this answer everywhere. It literally reads as a Murdoch OP ed . The ABC has had independent audits and have been found to he unbiased . But keep on Parroting the same bs from Murdoch 
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 13 Aug 2019 10:31 PM
Davstar - 13 Aug 2019 7:51 PM

😂😂😂😂  I swear I read and hear this answer everywhere. It literally reads as a Murdoch OP ed . The ABC has had independent audits and have been found to he unbiased . But keep on Parroting the same bs from Murdoch 

😂😂😂😂  Audits?

Oh you mean like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/datablog/2014/feb/06/australian-broadcasting-corporation-australia

"Coverage was pretty even between the two main parties, with Labor receiving 40% of coverage, and the Coalition 39.4%."

Except for TV the Coalition received 43.4% air time and Labor Grrens 53.5%..

In the world of the Leftist 43%=53%

And how do you "audit", when, say, Tony Jones cuts offf conservative commentators but allows Leftists to go over time, for example on QandA.  Lets not even go there with Legh Sales...
"

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Enzo Bearzot - 13 Aug 2019 10:58 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 13 Aug 2019 10:31 PM

😂😂😂😂  Audits?

Oh you mean like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/datablog/2014/feb/06/australian-broadcasting-corporation-australia

"Coverage was pretty even between the two main parties, with Labor receiving 40% of coverage, and the Coalition 39.4%."

Except for TV the Coalition received 43.4% air time and Labor Grrens 53.5%..

In the world of the Leftist 43%=53%

And how do you "audit", when, say, Tony Jones cuts offf conservative commentators but allows Leftists to go over time, for example on QandA.  Lets not even go there with Legh Sales...
"

Leigh Sales is weak af on 730 though lol

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search