Ashes Third Test (22-27 August)

Ashes Third Test (22-27 August)

Author
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Quick turnaround as we head to Leeds for the third test. Imagine some changes for Australia. Probably Harris and Labuschagne in for Bancroft and Smith. Will be interesting to see what we do with the bowlers. 

ARNIE= LEGEND

Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

RedKat - 19 Aug 2019 10:17 AM
Quick turnaround as we head to Leeds for the third test. Imagine some changes for Australia. Probably Harris and Labuschagne in for Bancroft and Smith. Will be interesting to see what we do with the bowlers. 

I am sure Smith will play...
Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Concussions take 7-10 days to settle down. Day 1 of the third test will happen on day 5 of Smith's concussion recovery. He may want to play but he shouldn't. 
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Smith has been ruled out the third test

ARNIE= LEGEND

Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Wow. I'm amazed Smith is missing this match.

This is England's biggest chance to get back in the series, even without Jimmy. 

I have been reading a lot about how Archer will change cricket. I disagree with almost all of it. 

Bumrah and Archer will change cricket in that young fast bowlers will finally learn that they do not need to sprint in from over 30 metres away like Shoiab Akhtar to be fast. 

Had the speed guns not been in play, noone would give Archer's speed the publicity it deserves. 

12 to 15 meters merely jogging in is more than ample if you brace your front leg, which has the added benefit of keeping your action tall to get more bounce.

I do like the comments, though:

BBC Sport readers marvelled at Archer's pace and described what they would rather do than face his bowling...

Teerath Gill:
 I would rather fight Chuck Norris.

Gary Briddick: 
As a Liverpool fan I'd rather wear a Man Utd shirt for an hour.

Jonny Lipsham Studio:
 I would rather provoke a hungry lion with a steak strapped to my trousers.

Tom in Devon: 
I would rather try to kill a tiger armed only with a biro.

Jack Clark:
 I would rather walk barefoot across Lego for eternity.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Paddles - 19 Aug 2019 10:51 PM
RedKat - 19 Aug 2019 10:17 AM

I am sure Smith will play...

don't know how you could think that with such a short turn around.
I actually thought thats it he's not playing for sure due to the concussion rulings of today.
Yep back in the day he'd be playing for sure.

Starc needs to be incl now imo for sure and Warner has to fingers crossed form comes back and importantly patience at the crease - need to good knocks from him.

By the way re some of the BBC sport readers quotes, damned if I'd put on a United shirt no matter what lol.......

Love Football

Edited
5 Years Ago by LFC.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

1 Is Root still part of the fab 4 which was dedicated to test cricket, not odi cricket. Is Pujara ahead of  Root now?
2 Will Jason Roy ever make a century contribution this series? Will he make a 50?
3 Will Archer win the next test for England?
4 When Jimmy Anderson is back, do you drop Broad or Woakes?
5 Will Moeen Ali return this series? Will Moeen Ali return to test cricket as a regular at all?
6 When does Bancroft deserve to be dropped?
7 If Paine doesn't score runs soon, would you play Carey as keeper, or reinstate Matt Wade and bring in a new batsman? If so - who captain?
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Paddles - 21 Aug 2019 3:48 PM

7 If Paine doesn't score runs soon, would you play Carey as keeper, or reinstate Matt Wade and bring in a new batsman? If so - who captain?

This is the reason Tas selectors dropped Paine - not scoring runs. 

IMO it is paramount to play the best keeper first and foremost. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

6 When does Bancroft deserve to be dropped?

Why only Bancroft? 

Warner is failing too. 

Bancroft has been a better close fielder too. 
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 21 Aug 2019 8:50 PM

Why only Bancroft? 

Warner is failing too. 

Bancroft has been a better close fielder too. 

Warner is on the well above side of average. He not Lara or Tendulkar, but that block-layer can bat well.....

You continue with him...
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 21 Aug 2019 10:08 PM
Decentric - 21 Aug 2019 8:50 PM

Warner is on the well above side of average. He not Lara or Tendulkar, but that block-layer can bat well.....

You continue with him...

Apparently before this series he has a 20 higher runs average at home compared to playing overseas.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

3 Will Archer win the next test for England?

He was very impressive.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 21 Aug 2019 10:11 PM

He was very impressive.

I hate to say it - but I knew he would be and staked my reputation vs Baggers on it. I had no doubts at all.

BUt the question remains, if I was an England selector - I drop Broad. I don't necessarily think they will. But Woakes makes runs.... Many runs. More than their openers of late. Leach, Anderson, England needs runs... I drop Broad. I have no idea who they drop...
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
RedKat
RedKat
Pro

Rumoured to have three changes. Harris, Labuschagne and Pattinson in for Bancroft, Smith and Siddle 

ARNIE= LEGEND

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

good side though would prefer starc get a go for one of the quicks (maybe hazelwood). I'm liking the bowler rotation
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

warner survives

thats all we need to do early on
RedKat
RedKat
Pro

Harris already out for 8. Looked at sea against Archer.

ARNIE= LEGEND

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

archer gets the 1st

so much movement out there

need to see off the new ball here
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

only had to survive 1 more ball in the end but a very good ball
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

amazing toss to win really

looking at the pitch 200 is a par score, maybe even better than par but still puts us behind the game

300 mind you is probably a match winning score

just need to survive the next ball, rotate strike rinse repeat. Every ball ages the the pitch and the new ball and protects the middle order as well as tires out the bowlers
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

1-8 with Harris gone. 

Both Warner and Harris have barely middled  the ball, which is doing a bit. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

in conditions I'd be tempted to put in your tail enders to open. See off the first few overs
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 22 Aug 2019 9:48 PM
amazing toss to win really

looking at the pitch 200 is a par score, maybe even better than par but still puts us behind the game

300 mind you is probably a match winning score

just need to survive the next ball, rotate strike rinse repeat. Every ball ages the the pitch and the new ball and protects the middle order as well as tires out the bowlers

Tough pitch for batting ATM.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

One laugh is having Geoff Boycott's commentary - love it!

He really makes me laugh!

I really like the north of England. Boycott and his broad Yorkshire accent combine to make  a character of some note. He is so opiniated and immodest too.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 22 Aug 2019 10:27 PM
One laugh is having Geoff Boycott's commentary - love it!

He really makes me laugh!

I really like the north of England. Boycott and his broad Yorkshire accent combine to make  a character of some note. He is so opiniated and immodest too.

Is he on sky? or you listening to radio?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 22 Aug 2019 10:53 PM
Decentric - 22 Aug 2019 10:27 PM

Is he on sky? or you listening to radio?

ABC radio.

Even though ahead of TV, it is better than having all the ads we suffer on FTA TV covering The Ashes.
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

Broad looks unplayable on this pitch with the new ball. I wonder how a right handed batsmen would go? 
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 22 Aug 2019 10:59 PM
Paddles - 22 Aug 2019 10:53 PM

ABC radio.

Even though ahead of TV, it is better than having all the ads we suffer on FTA TV covering The Ashes.

Lol. Are they doing the BBC radio feed with Jeremy Coney? Yes I'm a kiwi - but he really is good. A former school teacher - but so funny. Not that school teacher's can't be funny, but he really is... I love listening to Coney, Agnew and even Boycott...
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

survive another over

every over it should get easier
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

and another

ball now 6 overs old. First 20 overs are the hardest
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search