Footballs Unsolved Mysteries: Daniel De Silva : Episode 1

Footballs Unsolved Mysteries: Daniel De Silva : Episode 1

Author
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I've decided to create a new series dedicated to current & perhaps former A League players in which the question has to be asked as to how for the love of all that's holy that somehow they are professional footballers. 

Today's episode is Daniel De Silva.  

Daniel has been one of the most mysteriously hyped footballers in the A League without showing one shred of reason as to why this is so. Last night once again demonstrated & highlighted even more so due to the fact that they were playing against semi professional footballers. 

From his beginnings on a professional level with Perth Glory commentators & pundits threw themselves into a lather everytime he touched the ball however those of us who have been in the game a while sat quietly at home baffled as to what the fuss was all about when all what was on display was the standard touch, passing, shooting, body positioning of any footballer who has been in the game a while. Perhaps, we all thought, there was something in this lad that was missed. 

Then the mystery deepened with the transfer to Italian top division club Roma.  Roma? Roma? What?  Surely a top division European club wouldn't pay much attention to a standard football player from a standard league & the unhinged hype machine of commentators & pundits but somehow they did. 

Maybe I've wrong all this time, but then....

Roma also cleared the mystery & unmuddied the brown water somewhat. Seems as though he rocked up to Roma, they had a look at him & somehow forgot to pay the first instalment of a transfer fee for him. Why those dodgy Italians!! Whatever are they playing at!!  We are the hype machine who know out footballers so obviously those ignorant Italian's don't see a world class footballer when they see it, I mean who wouldn't pay 2.5 million for such a player?  Oops.

So on the hype machine went to Roda, fairly decent Eredivisie club where a massive 16 appearances in 2 years also continue to unmuddy the brown water where he joined quite possibly Australia's worst professional football club by a long way. 

The Central Coast Mariners.  21 appearances later in 2017 & not much is happening there so for some reason the A League champions Sydney FC under a pragmatic & demanding Graham Arnold sign him.  Pushed to the outer of a very competitive squad he is limited to bench appearances but does manage 19 appearances but is one of the players who neither excels nor disappoints so no one is surprised or particularly bothered when he once again leaves back to the Central Coast Mariners.

Last night against semi professionals Hume City besides fluffing an absolute sitter which as an advanced attacking player is possibly the worst thing you can do & I didn't see any indication of any improvement or anything special besides normal passing but zero creation & link up play or anything to justify a professional gig. 

So today's unsolved mystery is Daniel De Silva.   Can YOU solve it? 

Edited
5 Years Ago by ErogenousZone
phutbol
phutbol
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

That is a harsh, but not unreasonable summary.

As to why. I got nothin.
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Great stuff, you've just encapsulated what I reckon everyone has been thinking and most never said anything, probably because of the incredible hype over someone so ordinary.
I see GA hasn't called him to the socceroos , but really no surprise there,

Remember when Aurelio Vidmar finally called out Kristen Sarkies, the truth was out there, career over. Wondering when a coach will call out De Silva?
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

i reckon it's a bit harsh he showed promise when he was at perth 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I mean yeah, the only mystery is how he managed to stay hyped for so long. I never saw anything in him.

By that I mean anything that meant he would turn into a fantastic player. Had he stuck it out at one club here and played 2-3 full seasons straight he may well have developed into an above average A-League Australian player but as of now he has a ways to go to even be that.
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Bit of a harsh assessment. He burst onto the scene at a very young age and played a good amount of games at Perth, but has not really developed. It happens all the time to hyped young players. 
griff1
griff1
Amateur
Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)

Davide82 - 18 Sep 2019 11:47 AM
I mean yeah, the only mystery is how he managed to stay hyped for so long. I never saw anything in him.

By that I mean anything that meant he would turn into a fantastic player. Had he stuck it out at one club here and played 2-3 full seasons straight he may well have developed into an above average A-League Australian player but as of now he has a ways to go to even be that.

I think that's a good point. Somehow at such a young age he's already a journeyman. 
JayEss
JayEss
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Davide82 - 18 Sep 2019 11:47 AM

Pretty much have to agree with this.

If I was a Mariners fan, I'd be looking forward to seeing Silvera develop this season. He looks far more dangerous than DDS.

Summerteeth
Summerteeth
Rising Star
Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)

It is interesting DDS is now playing with Tommy Oar. Is Tommy going to be featured in one the future episodes?

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Daniel would flourish with good players just like McGree sorta has done and Antonis.

I think it depends on the style the coach wants to play a bit too. At Perth he could turn and run into space cos we played counter attack that year and it worked.

Slow build up he looks like he's got nothing to offer 

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I think DDS will end up in the NPL next season if he doesn't pick it up. Its like he thinks he is to good for CCM and is playing like crap to justify his feelings.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Georgeg
Georgeg
Hacker
Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)

All paths are different. Have more pathways to fix the problem 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

mo salah was at a few clubs before he became the player he is today there is still time hopefully
griff1
griff1
Amateur
Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)

Melbcityguy - 18 Sep 2019 1:34 PM
mo salah was at a few clubs before he became the player he is today there is still time hopefully

That is very hopeful indeed!
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

His problem was being hyped when he was so young . When you get a 16 year old with some talent everyone want to hype them up as it is what people love to see and hear about .
The trouble is so many believe the hype and stop working and progressing.
Other more average unhyped players come through at a more sensible age 18+ and take their  place.
Without all the hype those guys kept learning and progressing.
I have watched this happen for 50 years . It is not a new phenomenon.

If you look carefully there have been many just in the A-League over the last 14 years...but it happens in state comps etc too.
You see a kid who is outstanding in State under age Comps for years ..and everyone starts talking them up as the next "pick a stars name"...then they get to seniors and may even have a game or two at NPL or something but then they simply disappear and people start asking "whatever happened to that kid ? ".
it is generally a "desire" thing ...if they don't want it badly enough no amount of talent will get them there.

We can all name kids even from our local clubs who we think  "wow that kid is gonna be at the top in a few years " ...then.... nothing.
Years later he is standing beside you at the Roar a with a beer gut and maybe playing park football somewhere for fun....that's football.

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)

miron mercedes - 18 Sep 2019 2:35 PM
His problem was being hyped when he was so young . When you get a 16 year old with some talent everyone want to hype them up as it is what people love to see and hear about .
The trouble is so many believe the hype and stop working and progressing.
Other more average unhyped players come through at a more sensible age 18+ and take their  place.
Without all the hype those guys kept learning and progressing.
I have watched this happen for 50 years . It is not a new phenomenon.

If you look carefully there have been many just in the A-League over the last 14 years...but it happens in state comps etc too.
You see a kid who is outstanding in State under age Comps for years ..and everyone starts talking them up as the next "pick a stars name"...then they get to seniors and may even have a game or two at NPL or something but then they simply disappear and people start asking "whatever happened to that kid ? ".
it is generally a "desire" thing ...if they don't want it badly enough no amount of talent will get them there.

We can all name kids even from our local clubs who we think  "wow that kid is gonna be at the top in a few years " ...then.... nothing.
Years later he is standing beside you at the Roar a with a beer gut and maybe playing park football somewhere for fun....that's football.

I honestly think his biggest problem has been his management team,yes they got him the big money moves overseas but I am hearing they failed to support him after, also hearing he has parted ways with them.

Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

StiflersMom - 18 Sep 2019 10:25 AM
Remember when Aurelio Vidmar finally called out Kristen Sarkies, the truth was out there, career 

Quick reminder about what he said for those of us who’ve forgotten?

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 18 Sep 2019 10:26 AM
i reckon it's a bit harsh he showed promise when he was at perth 

Did he though? 

The only time I ever remember anything genuinely notable was a U20 WC game against Colombia. 

I think the hype had more to do with his debut at 16 than anything he has ever achieved at senior level. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

It's a tough business and no hiding places.  Kaz Pataft and Kristian Sarkes, Rizzo.  So many players look like they could become world beaters in their late teens and then for some reason their bodies just don't carry through on that early promise.  

Then they become "discussed" like here with DDS.  I always hope that they never, ever feel tempted to look at social media.  You wouldn't wish a set of footballer dream parents on anyone.  You have to make the call so early to prioritise football over everything and you have no idea how it will pan out.  No idea what a 10 year old's body is going to do.  Yep they've got the skills, but will they be fast enough, strong enough.

And then there's the next stage - the teen years.  Male teenage bodies can do wierd things.  Maybe DDS peaked early?  I knew a national class long jumper at 14-15.  But he had stopped growing at 14.  Everyone else grew past him taller and stronger.  That was the end of him as an athlete.

Edited
5 Years Ago by CS
soil
soil
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

I hope it's just a matter of lost minutes. He's lost a lot of time...still young though.

Maybe im bias but i rated him. Although it wasnt seniors that game against Columbia got me pretty excited.
Volkz
Volkz
Hacker
Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)

He showed signs of being a baller at SFC but ultimately he loves going out with his missus way and going out around Sydney CBD/Double Bay than training hard the next day.
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Ben Kantarovski should be on this special. Albeit everyone stopped hyping him years ago but at the time i remember thinking amwhat an average footballer he was. Djite too, was just stovkily buiot and reasonably nimble for his size, people calling him next viduka 
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend

Group: Moderators
Aljay - 18 Sep 2019 4:46 PM
StiflersMom - 18 Sep 2019 10:25 AM

Quick reminder about what he said for those of us who’ve forgotten?

He was asked why he benched Sarkies, and responded candidly , he returned serve and asked the reporter ,"what's he ever done?, I keep reading how good he is but he's not done anything, tell me what he's done?" or words to that affect.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

I look forward to this series. Make it a monthly?

It's available on transfermarkt. I wonder how his injury and fitness history were in Europe? I hope he can settle and have a solid period.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Never doubted he has the talent, in fact his a rare No.10 we often don’t develop enough in Australia but it seems he hasn’t kicked on for whatever reason.

Just shows how hard work beats talent every time, the very best combine both! He fits into the former sadly.

It also doesn’t help how poorly advised his career has been, sign for Roma and then get loaned to a bottom placed Eredivisie side in Roda JC where it didn’t his style?

However he still has time but I feel he doesn’t have many chances left.
Angus
Angus
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

TBF there were signs that he was playing a cut above the rest of the CCM squad in that first season. Some good runs and, particularly, some great balls into the space where decent players would have been. Particularly in the first half of the season.
Being the creative playmaker who has the job of trying to do anything with Simon as the striker is an incredibly frustrating job. Then at SFC your position is held by a couple of the league's best and even the sub role you would covet is held by the club legend.
If CCM play a decent striker I can see DDS stepping up this year.

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I posted this in another thread, but here's another of the What are we paying him for players?

Just watched the first half of the FFA cup match between MC and WSW. The player Najjarene missed three, that's THREE fairly simple shots because he is one footed and he remained on the park. Why wasn't he removed? That sort of ineptitude shouldn't be rewarded by being part of a professional football team. And he's supposed to be one of the young stars! SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You want to play these players more?
notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)

Footballking55 - 21 Sep 2019 6:27 AM
I posted this in another thread, but here's another of the What are we paying him for players?

Just watched the first half of the FFA cup match between MC and WSW. The player Najjarene missed three, that's THREE fairly simple shots because he is one footed and he remained on the park. Why wasn't he removed? That sort of ineptitude shouldn't be rewarded by being part of a professional football team. And he's supposed to be one of the young stars! SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You want to play these players more?

Was thinking the same thing , no way should he be starting ahead of Lachlan Wales .
Wales would have had at least 2 the other night .
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Footballking55 - 21 Sep 2019 6:27 AM

seen sterling miss a couple sitters last season at man city. they should have dropped him.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/09/11/is-raheem-sterling-the-best-winger-on-the-planet/

Zoltan
Zoltan
Hacker
Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)

Danny was arguably the best 16 year old in the world. 

Bit like Jack Greilish.....could be a late sprouted. 

Danny needs to get back the cockiness and composure he showed as the youngest player in that junior World Cup. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search