Footballs Unsolved Mysteries: Daniel De Silva : Episode 1

Footballs Unsolved Mysteries: Daniel De Silva : Episode 1

Author
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Zoltan - 21 Sep 2019 6:35 PM
Danny was arguably the best 16 year old in the world. 

Bit like Jack Greilish.....could be a late sprouted. 

Danny needs to get back the cockiness and composure he showed as the youngest player in that junior World Cup. 

Was he better than Mbappe?

90 Minutes
90 Minutes
Fan
Fan (66 reputation)Fan (66 reputation)Fan (66 reputation)Fan (66 reputation)Fan (66 reputation)Fan (66 reputation)Fan (66 reputation)Fan (66 reputation)Fan (66 reputation)Fan (66 reputation)Fan (66 reputation)

Pasquali - 21 Sep 2019 6:49 PM
Was he better than Mbappe?

No he wasn’t 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Angus - 21 Sep 2019 6:22 AM
TBF there were signs that he was playing a cut above the rest of the CCM squad in that first season. Some good runs and, particularly, some great balls into the space where decent players would have been. Particularly in the first half of the season.
Being the creative playmaker who has the job of trying to do anything with Simon as the striker is an incredibly frustrating job. Then at SFC your position is held by a couple of the league's best and even the sub role you would covet is held by the club legend.
If CCM play a decent striker I can see DDS stepping up this year.

I saw him play plenty of games in that season he had at CCM  and I agree with you, Angus.

I thought he was on the cusp of Socceroo selection in that stage of his career.

His ball winning and workrate off the ball  had improved a lot. On the ball, even though he was quite one foot dominant, he showed a lot of  technical class in tight spaces,  a notch above most Aussies.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

notarobot - 21 Sep 2019 7:22 AM
Footballking55 - 21 Sep 2019 6:27 AM

Was thinking the same thing , no way should he be starting ahead of Lachlan Wales .
Wales would have had at least 2 the other night .

I personally think Ramy has a bigger upside than Lachlan Wales, but I think Rami needs more development on his game.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Decentric - 22 Sep 2019 10:51 PM
Angus - 21 Sep 2019 6:22 AM

I saw him play plenty of games in that season he had at CCM  and I agree with you, Angus.

I thought he was on the cusp of Socceroo selection in that stage of his career.

His ball winning and workrate off the ball  had improved a lot. On the ball, even though he was quite one foot dominant, he showed a lot of  technical class in tight spaces,  a notch above most Aussies.

He’s a rare No.10 we often don’t develop enough in Australia, very technical and clever in tight spaces but he’s also got fantastic vision for a final pass too.

But sadly he hasn’t kicked on.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Barca4Life
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

I still hold out hope for DDS though i think he does require a system that suits him rather than him actually being able to suit a system if that makes sense. I've seen enough of what he is capable of on the ball with his passing and dribbling to make me think he can still make a decent impression in both Aus and Europe
Zizuo1
Zizuo1
Fan
Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)

Melbcityguy - 18 Sep 2019 1:34 PM
mo salah was at a few clubs before he became the player he is today there is still time hopefully

Mo’s club moves were all a step up. And when he left Chelsea it was basically one step back two steps forward.
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

The truth is that the A-league has allowed our players to earn a good living without the necessary hard work needed to jump across to a new level. I am not saying they dont train hard, but relative to other leagues they dont. In Europe it would be so cut throat and no where near as relaxed. You are trying to take my spot and I will damned if some fucking Aussie wanna be is going rip food off my table so I can't feed my kids. I am not helping this - oops, I just ate my own poop... until he proves himself and wants to be here. This is the mentality of the player overseas in Europe. They are not going to go out of their way to help you because it is literally dog eat dog over there. It can be mentally exhausting fighting for your spot week in week out and in that regards its much easier to take the easy route and head back home with your tail between your legs and play in the A-league. Making it in Europe the rewards are huge but you have to be relentless in your pursuit and obsessed with making it, just like in any profession where you want to be the best. I just can't see that in our kids in the A-league and players like Daniel De Silva. Our players lack that edge, hunger and ambition.

Edited
5 Years Ago by RBBAnonymous
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Prettt sure Daniel just had a good U20 WC I think it was at the time? he was only 16 or 17 then and looked a class above everyone.. just made the wrong choices like many young aussie do a big club comes along and they never really see them as a project just a what if?
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 18 Sep 2019 11:33 PM
Ben Kantarovski should be on this special. Albeit everyone stopped hyping him years ago but at the time i remember thinking amwhat an average footballer he was. Djite too, was just stovkily buiot and reasonably nimble for his size, people calling him next viduka 

yes 100% would love to hear the story around his potential move to Bayern years ago.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 24 Sep 2019 12:23 PM

arguably :)
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Burztur - 24 Sep 2019 2:16 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 24 Sep 2019 12:23 PM

arguably :)

I'm just wondering where/how anybody comes to that conclusion.

And I swear to god, if someone else mentions that one game vs Colombia again...

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

How do you figure? 
Zoltan
Zoltan
Hacker
Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)

He was the third youngest scorer in the u20 wc tournament history and had the football world talking

Here's an example

https://talksport.com/football/world-cup-2018/world-cup/28610/transfer-news-everything-you-need-know-about-man-united-target-daniel-de-200443/

He may well have been the only 16 year old playing in that u20 wc - so my call has some merit!

Zoltan
Zoltan
Hacker
Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)

I also blame the Perth Glory coach for 'managing' such a precocious talent the wrong way. Danny was on fire and should have played more often and given the respect he deserved. Instead he was held back, put on the slow track, made to prove himself against older players and generally his fire was slowly extinguished by old blokes who think they have all the answers. Arzani has had similar treatment by Sydney FC and Melbourne -  but got away just in time - lets hope celtic don't screw him up. 
slee45
slee45
Super Fan
Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)

"What we see is probably De silva showing symptoms of burnout in soccer. He has been in a proffessional environment, training and competing virtualy non-stop from a very young age. 
 Would it be wise for him to take a mental break and come back stronger or would this just hinder his career?

Zoltan
Zoltan
Hacker

slee45 - 27 Sep 2019 4:28 AM

"What we see is probably De silva showing symptoms of burnout in soccer. He has been in a proffessional environment, training and competing virtualy non-stop from a very young age. 
 Would it be wise for him to take a mental break and come back stronger or would this just hinder his career?

He has had a few breaks. 

Yes burnout is a thing but like being skilful or fast - being able to handle to constant pressure of elite sport is also a 'thing'. Something that can be worked on too. I reckon Danny could still explode given the right set of circumstances - whatever that may be...
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

New Signing - 23 Sep 2019 3:27 PM
I still hold out hope for DDS though i think he does require a system that suits him rather than him actually being able to suit a system if that makes sense. I've seen enough of what he is capable of on the ball with his passing and dribbling to make me think he can still make a decent impression in both Aus and Europe

the difference for dds between excellence and average will now be club and coach

but he has to make the move

Edited
5 Years Ago by inala brah
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search