2019/20 Futures League.

2019/20 Futures League.

Author
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
The new season of second X1 matches kicked off this week.
http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/pages/public/rv/draw.aspx?entityid=17240&save=0

MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

Baggers you were asking about Bryce Street. He hails from the Sunshine Coast, and I think he still has a Qld rookie contract. He plays for Sandgate-Redcliffe along with Hemphrey. He opens the batting in the Future's league, has been impressive without being a dominant player lots of 70's and 80's so I don't know if he is ready for the step up to shield cricket. But something you haven't seen yet in the Futures is his pace bowling. Whether or not he has decided to give it away all together I don't know, but he is still referred to as an allrounder in his profile.

Currently he averages 110 at club level from the first 3 games (2 centuries so far) but I don't place too much on club level performances, but it does give match practice. Last year he finished with an average from 23 matches of 56 (in comparison Heazlett finished with 48 av, though Renshaw 162 and Burns 132 from about 8 games) He finished last year with 40 wickets @23 and was No 6 in the wicket takers, someone like Doggertt as an example finished with 34 @26

He played for Qld against England in 2017 and they thumped England scoring 400. Street, Heazlett, McSweeney were all amongst the runs and that would probably give you an idea of the ones with talent currently in the youth players here in Qld

But I don't expect him to play too quickly for Qld, as we have Burns, Renshaw, there is talk up here about Heazlett opening and Joe Burns is prepared to move down the order for him, but with CA wanting Labuchagne to bat at 3 and get experience there at shield level, Khawaja is back wanting to push his opening position case so Bryce Street won't get a look in but maybe as No 6 but that would mean Wildermuth goes.

Imagine the batting line up Heazlett, Renshaw, Labuchagne, Khawaja, Burns, Wildermuth, Pierson, Neser, that's pretty impressive, I just hope QCA don't give into Khawaja and open with him, because the only option is for them to drop Renshaw for Khawaja, Burns will have to open with Khawaja and then bring in Hemphrey. The line up of Burns, Khawaja, Labuchagne, Heazlett, Hemphrey etc does look weaker, a couple of quick wickets with the new ball and Qld are in trouble. I doubt they will bat Renshaw down the order. and if this does occur I'll be hoping CA pick Khawaja for Australia just to get him out of Qld team, we play better without him in the side, won the shield 2 years ago without him playing. Even NSW dropped Khawaja for being a negative influence on the team.
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

MikeR - 3 Oct 2019 6:04 AM
Baggers you were asking about Bryce Street. He hails from the Sunshine Coast, and I think he still has a Qld rookie contract. He plays for Sandgate-Redcliffe along with Hemphrey. He opens the batting in the Future's league, has been impressive without being a dominant player lots of 70's and 80's so I don't know if he is ready for the step up to shield cricket. But something you haven't seen yet in the Futures is his pace bowling. Whether or not he has decided to give it away all together I don't know, but he is still referred to as an allrounder in his profile.

Currently he averages 110 at club level from the first 3 games (2 centuries so far) but I don't place too much on club level performances, but it does give match practice. Last year he finished with an average from 23 matches of 56 (in comparison Heazlett finished with 48 av, though Renshaw 162 and Burns 132 from about 8 games) He finished last year with 40 wickets @23 and was No 6 in the wicket takers, someone like Doggertt as an example finished with 34 @26

He played for Qld against England in 2017 and they thumped England scoring 400. Street, Heazlett, McSweeney were all amongst the runs and that would probably give you an idea of the ones with talent currently in the youth players here in Qld

But I don't expect him to play too quickly for Qld, as we have Burns, Renshaw, there is talk up here about Heazlett opening and Joe Burns is prepared to move down the order for him, but with CA wanting Labuchagne to bat at 3 and get experience there at shield level, Khawaja is back wanting to push his opening position case so Bryce Street won't get a look in but maybe as No 6 but that would mean Wildermuth goes.

Imagine the batting line up Heazlett, Renshaw, Labuchagne, Khawaja, Burns, Wildermuth, Pierson, Neser, that's pretty impressive, I just hope QCA don't give into Khawaja and open with him, because the only option is for them to drop Renshaw for Khawaja, Burns will have to open with Khawaja and then bring in Hemphrey. The line up of Burns, Khawaja, Labuchagne, Heazlett, Hemphrey etc does look weaker, a couple of quick wickets with the new ball and Qld are in trouble. I doubt they will bat Renshaw down the order. and if this does occur I'll be hoping CA pick Khawaja for Australia just to get him out of Qld team, we play better without him in the side, won the shield 2 years ago without him playing. Even NSW dropped Khawaja for being a negative influence on the team.

Thanks for this Mike. Yes noticed  Hemphrey also on the score sheet. A big 100 for him but 345.. that is Bradmanesque. I had not heard of Street as I follow underage cricket and to my knowledge he has not been either at U19 level or a NPS scholar. Well if he keeps churning our FL tons.. he will find himself in that Bulls lineup for sure. Is Charlie Hemphrey a naturalised Aussie as he played in England in our off season.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

A couple of junior bowlers for Qld to watch for Blake Edwards, (no Baggers not the director of the Pink Panther movies) and Jack Prestwidge
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 3 Oct 2019 9:39 AM

Thanks for this Mike. Yes noticed  Hemphrey also on the score sheet. A big 100 for him but 345.. that is Bradmanesque. I had not heard of Street as I follow underage cricket and to my knowledge he has not been either at U19 level or a NPS scholar. Well if he keeps churning our FL tons.. he will find himself in that Bulls lineup for sure. Is Charlie Hemphrey a naturalised Aussie as he played in England in our off season.

Charlie Hemphrey is more English than Australian, developed with Kent cricket club, but he is 30 so he's not going anywhere so it won't matter, personally for me he's just taking a place from a Qld developed player, such as the above mentioned players.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Renshaw and Heazlett opening is a worry.. two lefties. I cringe when I see the first three Blues sometimes even first four are all lefties.  Move Renshaw down the order..yes I think that will work for him as he tries to regain his form. Selectors shud consider it. Does Burns wanna move down the order. If not keep him in the spot he knows. Heazlett has a moderate FC record.. the added responsibility of opening may just ignite his career. Wildermuth is now 26 so no kid. Needs to establish himself now. His batting record @28 is mediocre while his bowling @30 is passable. He needs to decide what is his strongest suit and stick with that. I reckon the days of a #6 being filled by an all rounder are souring. Mitch Marsh has seen to that.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 3 Oct 2019 9:42 AM
A couple of junior bowlers for Qld to watch for Blake Edwards, (no Baggers not the director of the Pink Panther movies) and Jack Prestwidge

You cud use some new blood in the bowling dept Mike. Not sure Doggett cuts the mustard. Xavier Bartlett impresses me more. The Native American:P Steketee is improving. The two Blues rookie quicks Ryan Hadley and Liam Hatcher took 5fors in their FL match.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Just took a look at the scorecard. All but Bryant scored 50s out of the top 5. Odd this was the only match of the England Lions tour. They are touring again this year. I posted details somewhere. Will repost now. White and red ball matches against CA sides and state teams. Shud be live streamed. I get a real kick out of watching our emerging players.
https://www.cricket.com.au/series/england-lions-tour-of-australia-ca-xi-nsw-xi-australia-a/UOfog3daSkeuRbZg-GG2FA
No doubt you will be spitting chips that only Blues X1s have been chosen. I was wondering why also.
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 3 Oct 2019 9:51 AM

Renshaw and Heazlett opening is a worry.. two lefties. I cringe when I see the first three Blues sometimes even first four are all lefties.  Move Renshaw down the order..yes I think that will work for him as he tries to regain his form. Selectors shud consider it. Does Burns wanna move down the order. If not keep him in the spot he knows. Heazlett has a moderate FC record.. the added responsibility of opening may just ignite his career. Wildermuth is now 26 so no kid. Needs to establish himself now. His batting record @28 is mediocre while his bowling @30 is passable. He needs to decide what is his strongest suit and stick with that. I reckon the days of a #6 being filled by an all rounder are souring. Mitch Marsh has seen to that.

Burns will always do what is best for the team. He was always a No 3-6 batsman. In 2011/12 Qld won the shield, 2012/13 Qld played in the final, the middle order consisted of players like Burns, Lynn, Forrest, Hopes, Hartley, Nathan Reardon. 2012/13 is when Khawaja came to Qld and that was when the rot set in. Khawaja was set as the No 3 and the team was constantly changed to fit in with him. Luke Pomersbach (dropped soon after scoring 159 against WA in WA) and Nathan Reardon careers were destroyed by the constant shuffling of the order, Burns was ultimately moved up to opener, Labuchagne was bought in as opener originally then dropped meanwhile Khawaja was the one failing. NSW won the shield in 2012/13 so they were laughing, Qld were in turmoil. One thing you can always rely on with Burns he is a team player, so if Qld want to bring an opener in, Joe will always put his hand up to move down the order regardless if that takes his aspirations of opening for Australia out of the equation. There are very few players with his ethics in Australian cricket, another would be Carey, calling the batsman back last year in the T20's when he wasn't out is admirable and honest. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Renshaw and Heazlett opening is a worry.. two lefties. I cringe when I see the first three Blues sometimes even first four are all lefties.  Move Renshaw down the order..yes I think that will work for him as he tries to regain his form. Selectors shud consider it. 

Renshaw is a lefty, but at best he  has a cast iron defensive technique. He bats time. Maybe you make a good suggestion in trying him down the order for a while?

Some openers have been successful as lefties over a sustained period. Bill Lawry comes to mind.

Was Kiwi Bruce Edgar right or left handed? He and John Wright made  a lot of decent  partnerships against Aus.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Daniel Solway, 24,  is one that does not get a lot of publicity. He should definitely be on the Blues radar. His Premier Cricket and Futures League records are very good for past three seasons.. Almost posted a double ton in the first game of the new season.
http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/pages/public/rv/cricket/viewplayer.aspx?entityid=252&save=0&playerid=633023&eid=252&locx=PLY&seasonid=124

http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/pages/public/rv/cricket/battingav.aspx?entityid=17240&id=CBA

Edited
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Decentric - 3 Oct 2019 11:20 AM

Renshaw is a lefty, but at best he  has a cast iron defensive technique. He bats time. Maybe you make a good suggestion in trying him down the order for a while?

Some openers have been successful as lefties over a sustained period. Bill Lawry comes to mind.

Was Kiwi Bruce Edgar right or left handed? He and John Wright made  a lot of decent  partnerships against Aus.

Rumour. Both lefites. But rumour... They weren't the best NZ combo..
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Bulls wins its first FL match while the Blues v WA game was a draw.. Plenty of rust I am thinking... not with Bryce Street. The 21 year old opener has hit the summer running with the biggest Second X1 score ever.. a lazy 345 if you dont mind. Just a little park hitout.

Other than Street the best with the bat were Daniel Solway (Blues) 195. Charlie Hemphrey (Bulls ) 152. Jake Fraser-McGurk (Vic) 130. Bradley Hope (WA) 111.

Best with ball. Liam Hatcher (Blues)10. Mitchell Swepson (Bulls) 9. Ryan Hadley (Blues) 5.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

https://www.cricketnsw.com.au/news/matt-gilkes-jason-sangha-act-nsw-country-second-xi-toyota-canberra/2019-10-04

In the other FL match today SAussie take on New South Metro.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 4 Oct 2019 7:54 PM
Bulls wins its first FL match while the Blues v WA game was a draw.. Plenty of rust I am thinking... not with Bryce Street. The 21 year old opener has hit the summer running with the biggest Second X1 score ever.. a lazy 345 if you dont mind. Just a little park hitout.

Other than Street the best with the bat were Daniel Solway (Blues) 195. Charlie Hemphrey (Bulls ) 152. Jake Fraser-McGurk (Vic) 130. Bradley Hope (WA) 111.

Best with ball. Liam Hatcher (Blues)10. Mitchell Swepson (Bulls) 9. Ryan Hadley (Blues) 5.

Qld off to a great start with Bryce Street and Charlie Hemphrey putting on a 412 run partnership, easily accounting for Victoria. Merlo was solid. Gannon also took 6 wickets Baggers

NSW metro just holding on to the draw with WA needing 40 runs to win with 4 wickets in hand with Aaron Hardie finishing 78 NO for WA. Big game for Dean Soloway scoring 250+ for the match, supported by Uppal. But your boy Baggers only scored 2 and 1, maybe time for him to go back to club level and give some of the other performers a go, rather than swapping teams and now playing for ACT/NSW Country. They're definitely trying to give him more opportunities than most would get.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

The selectors know Sangha holds hi promise but has yet to produce consistently in senior cricket.. You have your wish..he will not play in the opening Shield match. I am also ok with that as he does need to get consistency into his game. Is this a dropping or just resting with Warner and Smithy coming in. Selectors are a bit slow announcing the teams. 
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 7 Oct 2019 2:27 PM
MikeR - 7 Oct 2019 10:30 AM

The selectors know Sangha holds hi promise but they will run out of patience if he keeps being inconsistent. I agree. You have your wish..he will not play in the opening Shield match. Is this a dropping or just resting with Warner and Smithy coming in. Selectors are a bit slow announcing the teams. Jack Edwards also needs further time in lower tier.  Patterson is in doubt for the first game with an injury.

Who is Dean Soloway;)

Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

The Blues selectors tend to run the ruler over ACT cricketers before any other state. They missed a good'n going by today's performance from Macalister Wright for the Tigers. The stylish r/hander, who also bowls  leg spin, batted the entire day to exhaust the ACT/NSW Country attack. At stumps he is undefeated on 164*. His first FL/Second X1 century.  DC will like what he sees from this 21 year old. I expect so will his coaches Adam Griffith and Jeff Vaughan.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

Tasmania V ACT/NSW country Tasmania made a massive score declaring 8/510 with MacCalister Wright making 173 and Beau Webster scoring 140. A poor start from ACT/ NSW country with Justin Avendano and Jason Sangha falling cheaply, but Matthew Gilkes scored 147 to dig ACT/NSW country out of an embarrassing situation.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
MikeR - 10 Oct 2019 11:45 AM
Tasmania V ACT/NSW country Tasmania made a massive score declaring 8/510 with MacCalister Wright making 173 and Beau Webster scoring 140. A poor start from ACT/ NSW country with Justin Avendano and Jason Sangha falling cheaply, but Matthew Gilkes scored 147 to dig ACT/NSW country out of an embarrassing situation.

Thanks for this.

I thought Webster was in the first Tassie eleven for the Shield? 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 10 Oct 2019 3:37 PM
MikeR - 10 Oct 2019 11:45 AM

Thanks for this.

I thought Webster was in the first Tassie eleven for the Shield? 

No DC but he may be after his double here. I wanna see Macalister Wright in a Tigers kit sooner rather than later. He cant be any worse than Doran. Plus he also bowls legspin.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 11 Oct 2019 11:57 AM
Decentric - 10 Oct 2019 3:37 PM

No DC but he may be after his double here. I wanna see Macalister Wright in a Tigers kit sooner rather than later. He cant be any worse than Doran. Plus he also bowls legspin.

Matthew Gilkes scored 147 to dig ACT/NSW country out of an embarrassing situation.

He added 72 in the second dig to ensure a draw. The Blues need to get this kid into FC quick. Coming off a strong showing in FL.. 508 @46 last season.

Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 11 Oct 2019 12:00 PM
baggygreenmania - 11 Oct 2019 11:57 AM

Matthew Gilkes scored 147 to dig ACT/NSW country out of an embarrassing situation.

He added 72 in the second dig to ensure a draw. The Blues need to get this kid into FC quick. Coming off a strong showing in FL.. 508 @46 last season. A solid PC season too 600 @50.

Nic Maddinson with a double for the Bushies. Technically he has four tons on the trot and has posted 780+ runs in only four innings since leaving the Blues.
Warner doing what was expected.. beating up on attacks on our decks.  Cameron Gannon has given him a hard time tho.. This bloke is a bit of a blast from the past. A decade in Bulls teams and only played 22 matches. A decent record @27 with 65 wkts.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

Nathan MacAndrew is another one that is NZ eligible isn't he Baggers? Along with Daniel Sams, NSW seem to be offering players contracts from NZ FC cricket, What's the story there? NSW not big enough even with the ACT.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 11 Oct 2019 12:15 PM
Nathan MacAndrew is another one that is NZ eligible isn't he Baggers? Along with Daniel Sams, NSW seem to be offering players contracts from NZ FC cricket, What's the story there? NSW not big enough even with the ACT.

You know as much about this as I do Mike.  They were both born here. Paddles may know more.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

I really get p***** off when I see young talent squandered and then forced to leave for another state. Henry Hunt is one such cricketer. Born in Blues country at Cowra he has a solid PC and even more solid FL record for his state. SACA has seen his potential and have snapped him up..makes his FC debut for the Redbacks this week vs the VICS.  CNSW must not make the same mistake with the promising Daniel Solway that it made with Hunt and Mac Wright. Wake up selectors!
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 11 Oct 2019 12:49 PM
I really get p***** off when I see young talent squandered and then forced to leave for another state. Henry Hunt is one such cricketer. Born in Blues country at Cowra he has a solid PC and even more solid FL record for his state. SACA saw his talent and have snapped him up..makes his FC debut for the Redbacks this week vs the VICS.  CNSW must not make the same mistake with the promising Daniel Solway that it made with Hunt and Mac Wright. Wake up selectors!

Baggers, what are they supposed to do. This is what I'm saying about promotion of certain individuals both in the press and in NSW teams, and nothing ever said about the others, they have to look elsewhere, they're on the outside looking in because they don't have the right connections. They're lucky other states do give them an opportunity and in the process relegate their own state players, that's what p**** me off. Why should our state players be pushed aside, they have just about the same undeveloped talent, just not given the training as no position available. But welcome to the selectors world, nothing is really fair.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 11 Oct 2019 12:55 PM
baggygreenmania - 11 Oct 2019 12:49 PM

Baggers, what are they supposed to do. This is what I'm saying about promotion of certain individuals both in the press and in NSW teams, and nothing ever said about the others, they have to look elsewhere, they're on the outside looking in because they don't have the right connections. They're lucky other states do give them an opportunity and in the process relegate their own state players, that's what p**** me off. Why should our state players be pushed aside, they have just about the same undeveloped talent, just not given the training as no position available. But welcome to the selectors world, nothing is really fair.

Mike I dont blame the player in the least for looking elsewhere to play FC cricket. I castigate our selectors for their narrow sited approach by allowing it to happen. I also dont hear the media jumping up and down over this.  Yes having to relegate a home grown product to fit in an import also riles me. I have been bleating on about this re Tassie and SAussie and its imports over home grown for years.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Some interesting names for the Blues in their Futures match tomorrow in Adelaide.
Arjun Nair is injured and replaced by Oliver Davies..who happened to score a cracking 165 in Premier Cricket on Saturday so is in prime red ball form. The two rookie Ryans.. Hadley and Hackney are in the squad as is Nick Bertus, Daniel Solway and Param Uppal. Ryan Gibson has been given another chance. He must take it.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Lloyd Pope produced a Shane Warne like ambush this arvo. The Blues were cruising up to tea. Ryan Hackney had posted his century , Dan Solway his half. Within a short time both of them plus Nick Bertus (0) were back in the sheds all at the hand of the 'ginga ninja'. At stumps Blues have slumped to be in a touch of bother.
Edited
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search