Movie Thread 2019 on.......

Movie Thread 2019 on.......

Author
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Can't find the ol Movie thread - so starting this up, if a mod brings it back up happy that you shift this post.

Whilst on the flight back home the other day from the USA searching through the movies I happily came across
Diego Maradona 2019 Directed by Asif Kapadia.
Having watched him from his early days I can relate easily what he had done on the field and we all know what he had done off it.
I've had a love hate relationship with this guy but a couple of things stick out once again.
Came from such a poor family living in the slums.
Once recognised and established he was obviously used and abused and suck everything they could out of him, the pressure and circumstances he would have had to deal with would have been mind boggling, how to cope with a lack of education and most likely good and bad guidance. He was his own worst enemy as well.
What a life and career from highs (in a few ways) and the lows.
An absolute must see if you haven't seen.
Loved it.
Intro :
Having never won a major tournament, ailing football giant SSC Napoli had criminally underachieved. Their fanatical support was unequalled in both passion and size. None was more feared. But how they ached for success... On 5th July 1984, Diego Maradona arrived in Naples for a world-record fee and for seven years all hell broke loose. The world's most celebrated football genius and the most dysfunctional city in Europe were a perfect match for each other. Maradona was blessed on the field but cursed off it; the charismatic Argentine, quickly led Naples to their first-ever title. It was the stuff of dreams. But there was a price... Diego could do as he pleased whilst performing miracles on the pitch, but when the magic faded he became almost a prisoner of the city. The third film from the Academy Award and BAFTA-winning team behind Senna and Amy, the film will be constructed from over 500 hours of never-before-seen footage from Maradona's personal archive and in the style of Senna and Amy, will be a high-end and definitive feature documentary made with the full support of Maradona. In a city where the devil would have needed bodyguards, Maradona became bigger than God himself. This is the wild and unforgettable story of God-given talent, glory, despair and betrayal, of corruption and ultimately redemption.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmm7r4ynyIQ

Love Football

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Saw The Irishman with my partner on Saturday.  It's a masterpiece, go see it before it's hidden on Netflix forever.  

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

breaking bad movie didn't meet my expectations but the best movie for me this year 

club de cuervos for show of the year 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Being Im a regular business traveler it pretty much the best time I catch up on the latest movies, well for me they are.
Saw the new Lion King - sure its light hearted but the original was so well done and my 1st son was mesmerised by it back then, I swear I saw it hundreds of times with him and those songs stay in your head haha.
Reckon the new one was good as well.
Next in the Aussie movie section a movie called Promised.
I related to this as well for its main storey line is the typical Italian early migrants here where the Dad promised his daughter to another Italian mates son.
Entertaining and great seeing scenes/backgrounds from the ol days.

Oh that Elton John movie was damn good as well on his rise to the top.

Hoping to see the new Ford vs Ferrari movie coming day or 3.

Love Football

Edited
5 Years Ago by LFC.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Joker is a masterpiece. 

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

yes thanks for reminding - I hear its good.

Love Football

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

marconi101 - 15 Nov 2019 11:50 AM
Joker is a masterpiece. 

Agreed, Suicide Squad really upped the ante with their interpretation.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Started watching Series 2 Sunderland Till I Die.
Love seeing this type of club doco.

Oh watched again the Ford vs Ferrari movie, they replicated this very well imo.

Love Football

Edited
4 Years Ago by LFC.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

LFC. - 2 Apr 2020 10:43 AM
Started watching Series 2 Sunderland Till I Die.
Love seeing this type of club doco.

Oh watched again the Ford vs Ferrari movie, they replicated this very well imo.

Sunderland is back now? Awesome. Day sorted! 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Sat down to watch Parasite. It's definitely good at keeping your attention. I often find movies set in different parts of the world quite engaging as I look a lot at what's in the background. A very good film. There were a few bits where I felt it slowing but it did pick up again. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

johnszasz - 2 Apr 2020 7:19 PM
LFC. - 2 Apr 2020 10:43 AM

Sunderland is back now? Awesome. Day sorted! 

yes mate, nearly watched it all last night.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

johnszasz - 2 Apr 2020 7:21 PM
Sat down to watch Parasite. It's definitely good at keeping your attention. I often find movies set in different parts of the world quite engaging as I look a lot at what's in the background. A very good film. There were a few bits where I felt it slowing but it did pick up again. 

agreed, being based here obviously we don't see alot of the the euro films - enjoy checking some out.
Spanish ones arn't bad, some baltic ones seem quite depressing at times but its another view from elsewhere compared to here.
Watched a euro film last night that escapes my mind at present but it was ok, when I get back on netflix I'll see its name again.
Talking spanish on netflix the Money Heist series was great to watch.

Love Football

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Ex Machina was on SBS a while back on their Sci-fi week.  Suspenseful and unsettling.  Really enjoyed it. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470752/

Member since 2008.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

LFC. - 3 Apr 2020 6:58 PM
johnszasz - 2 Apr 2020 7:19 PM

yes mate, nearly watched it all last night.

Up to episode 3. Enjoying it more than season one. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

johnszasz - 3 Apr 2020 8:20 PM
LFC. - 3 Apr 2020 6:58 PM

Up to episode 3. Enjoying it more than season one. 

its so interesting, behind the scenes like this.
Kudos to the Black Kats allowing this tbh, not many would like seeing you squirm late Jan like that.
Being in League 1 must hurt so much.
Don't even support them but your there watching game clips going come on score win the game.

Love Football

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

LFC. - 3 Apr 2020 9:25 PM
johnszasz - 3 Apr 2020 8:20 PM

its so interesting, behind the scenes like this.
Kudos to the Black Kats allowing this tbh, not many would like seeing you squirm late Jan like that.
Being in League 1 must hurt so much.
Don't even support them but your there watching game clips going come on score win the game.

Potential spoilers!!! 

It's very well made. Director Charlie is tough on his staff but as the series has told Sunderland needed a massive culture change. It does appear that many departments at the club had a gravy train for way too long.

The scene where he wanted marketing to actually do something instead of waiting was so right. They smashed the attendance record in the end so the team did deliver. I hope he's using all this as a build up where the team will blossom and become very powerful.

Maja has delivered in France so the move made sense. A number of players left after failing to gain promotion. Honeyman is too good for League One. 

Our Bailey Wright is there now. Big club and an ever improving league. I think this would be a place for Maclaren to try Europe again. 
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Sunderland till I die is a great series.
Thoroughly enjoyed the second season on the weekend.

Loved how the chairman was in the terraces for some of the away fixtures inc play off semi final. It shows some true passion from an owner.

The amount of draws they’ve had highlights what a frustrating club they are.

Whats peoples thoughts on Jack Ross as a manager?
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

I wonder how movie theatres are going to fair when all of this is over as in perhaps some of the ones that are currently closed will remain closed. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by ErogenousZone
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 6 Apr 2020 9:23 AM
I wonder how movie theatres are going to fair when all of this is over as in perhaps some of the ones that are currently closed will remain closed. 

Digital delivery will eventually kill off cinemas anyways, this is just accelerating the situaiton.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

johnszasz - 3 Apr 2020 11:55 PM
LFC. - 3 Apr 2020 9:25 PM
Potential spoilers!!! 

It's very well made. Director Charlie is tough on his staff but as the series has told Sunderland needed a massive culture change. It does appear that many departments at the club had a gravy train for way too long.

The scene where he wanted marketing to actually do something instead of waiting was so right. They smashed the attendance record in the end so the team did deliver. I hope he's using all this as a build up where the team will blossom and become very powerful.

Maja has delivered in France so the move made sense. A number of players left after failing to gain promotion. Honeyman is too good for League One. 

Our Bailey Wright is there now. Big club and an ever improving league. I think this would be a place for Maclaren to try Europe again. 

yer sozz mate re spoilers, got ahead of myself.
It was obvious and surprising the struggles whilst owned by Ellis Short, the culture stayed the same, ie apathetic by look of it right through the club.
A good move by Donald buying it but hope he has the resource to survive moving ahead.
yes aussie pride, seeing a owner in the terraces and at away games is impressive to see.
Yes Maja made the right move, hurt Black Kats thats for sure up front as we've seen.
Jack Ross ? without knowing alot about him but checking his cv etc I think he wasn't experienced enough to lift them out of League 1 hence his sacking.
Losing the Checkatrade final followed by the League 1 playoff pretty much forced Donalds hand I guess.
So they've signed Phil Parkinson, more experience we wait and see.......
Wish more docos like this were done club wise.

Yesterday arvo on Fox (obviously showing alot of old rivalries and player specials) I watched a 1hour on Andres Iniesta.
What a humble excellent player, seeing early footage from local club through to the academy and making his 1sts debut @ 18yrs says it all.
Didn't know he was the most decorated Spanish player now - 35 trophies.
Seeing that period of Barca buildup - great players so young to then be guided by young Pep was great viewing.
So he's one of the most loved Spanish footballers in Spain incl rivals, his tribute to Dani Jarque a year after his death at the South Africa WC final scoring the winning goal his under shirt read Always With Us - like what vision thinking IF I scored doing that, Espanyol supporters loved him for this, as did others hence he got standing ovations everywhere in Spain.
Same goes re Xavi Alonso - saw his 1hr doco as well, obviously I love him due to his LFC career but again, another humble great player.

Love Football

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

aussie pride - 6 Apr 2020 8:29 AM
Sunderland till I die is a great series.
Thoroughly enjoyed the second season on the weekend.

Loved how the chairman was in the terraces for some of the away fixtures inc play off semi final. It shows some true passion from an owner.

The amount of draws they’ve had highlights what a frustrating club they are.

Whats peoples thoughts on Jack Ross as a manager?

I felt Ross is alright. He got sacked early this season and is now at Hibernian. He went very close to promotion. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Watched TOGO movie the other night.
Easy good hearted true storey.

Re Football, watched Becoming Champions - all on the nations who have won the WC.
The Perfect Day on the French winning the WC.

Love Football

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search