Brisbane Roar tops A-League supporters with 523,000

Brisbane Roar tops A-League supporters with 523,000

Author
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Defending champions Sydney FC were second in fan support, on 444,000 supporters; down significantly on a year ago as delayed stadium construction leaves the club without a dedicated home ground for a second year.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8192-a-league-supporters-september-2019-201911190541

(can’t post it all, sorry) 
BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Very nice effort. Here's hoping it continues for the rest of the season, and gets built on.

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

These are quite promising results.
Half a million fans is not to be sneezed at.

hames_jetfield
hames_jetfield
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

One in 10 Australians watch either the A-League or W-League on TV.

Our population is 25 million. 10/100 x 25,000,000 = 2,500,000

Where the hell are they?

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

I don’t understand why Victory and Sydney have gone backwards?? 
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

As with any survey, I think we can take these figures as interesting reading but likely very hard to ascertain accuracy. 

Quite a few results there that seem to have next to no correlation with results achieved or any other factors of engagement.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Waz - 19 Nov 2019 11:11 PM
I don’t understand why Victory and Sydney have gone backwards?? 

Sydney and Melbourne have new clubs, Brisbane still has QLD to itself.

Beaten by Eldar

Mrmcjewpants
Mrmcjewpants
Pro
Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)

Eldar - 19 Nov 2019 11:33 PM

Regardless, we’ve been a rugby league state for a very long time. Promising statistics regardless
Waz
Waz
Legend

Not sure how Roar having QLD to themselves correlates but hey ... 

i would have thought SFC would hold firm, Victory is kind of understandable as they’ve had some average seasons but still never really out of it 
Waz
Waz
Legend

Mrmcjewpants - 19 Nov 2019 11:45 PM

Regardless, we’ve been a rugby league state for a very long time. Promising statistics regardless

I don’t think people get the dominance of RL up here. Then there’s every 1 in 3 people being an immigrant from Victoria who loves AFL and hates the sokkha ... 
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Pretty sure these Roy Morgan polls are the ones that have Sydney Swans being the most popular AFL team.

Beaten by Eldar

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

The general consensus is Football is not the Baby Boomers code ... Football is for the young...

Also we are told the say under 35 no longer watch TV....

What I found most interesting was the TV watching %... with gen X as number one and the BB's as number 2.. 

Seems to me our millennial and gen  Z would be into streaming... 

Taken from the report...

TV viewership of the A-League is highest for Gen X (12%); 9% of Baby Boomers and 8% of Gen Z, Millennials and Pre-Boomers watch the A-League on TV. Viewership of the W-League is higher among older age groups, with 6% of Baby Boomers and 5% of Gen X and Pre-Boomers watching it on TV, compared to only 2% of Millennials and 1% of Gen Z watching.

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Well done to Brisbane, a nice number.  Also, special mention to the Nix, the barnacle the HAL can't cut loose.
Mrmcjewpants
Mrmcjewpants
Pro
Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)

Waz - 19 Nov 2019 11:47 PM
Mrmcjewpants - 19 Nov 2019 11:45 PM

I don’t think people get the dominance of RL up here. Then there’s every 1 in 3 people being an immigrant from Victoria who loves AFL and hates the sokkha ... 

That’s it mate. Hopefully this correlates to bigger crowds. We have a very healthy membership number this season as I’m sure you know. Promising signs for the future.
jeggohouse
jeggohouse
Rising Star
Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)

Well done BR
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Eldar - 20 Nov 2019 12:08 AM
Pretty sure these Roy Morgan polls are the ones that have Sydney Swans being the most popular AFL team.

Yes, it's that sort of poll, so you basically have people with only a minimal interest in any kind of sport saying they follow this or that team.
Having said that, Swans do ok in the tough Sydney market, so you can't dismiss the survey entirely, and similarly, I have no doubt that the Roar has massive untapped potential as the only club in Australia's 3rd largest city.
When the Brisbane Lions won three consecutive premierships way back, they occasionally came out as the most popular AFL team in the same survey.
You could say, well, look how they dropped off when the team dropped off, which is absolutely correct, but just double checking the stats now, they made the finals for the first time in ages, and their home attendance average jumped from 18k to 24k, and that's not a bad effort.
Incredibly, back in 2010, the Lions were still averaging just on 30k.
I mean seriously, who wouldn't be happy with a 30k attendance average in a season?
So yes, read such surveys with caution, but as an indicator, they aren't too bad either, and if I were a Roar fan, I'd be pretty pleased about being the number one supported team.

Waz
Waz
Legend

bettega - 20 Nov 2019 11:16 AM

Yes, it's that sort of poll, so you basically have people with only a minimal interest in any kind of sport saying they follow this or that team.
Having said that, Swans do ok in the tough Sydney market, so you can't dismiss the survey entirely, and similarly, I have no doubt that the Roar has massive untapped potential as the only club in Australia's 3rd largest city.
When the Brisbane Lions won three consecutive premierships way back, they occasionally came out as the most popular AFL team in the same survey.
You could say, well, look how they dropped off when the team dropped off, which is absolutely correct, but just double checking the stats now, they made the finals for the first time in ages, and their home attendance average jumped from 18k to 24k, and that's not a bad effort.
Incredibly, back in 2010, the Lions were still averaging just on 30k.
I mean seriously, who wouldn't be happy with a 30k attendance average in a season?
So yes, read such surveys with caution, but as an indicator, they aren't too bad either, and if I were a Roar fan, I'd be pretty pleased about being the number one supported team.

Agree with all you’ve said, apart from the last bit. Apart from Ego, being No 1 means nothing really. 

SFC/Victory suffering a fall of over 100k is not just concerning for them, it should be a concern for the game as a whole 

so to the reality that plenty of people claim to be interested in the game but aren’t attending or watching on tv? 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Depending on how support is defined in the survey, the number of supporters could be largely irrelevant. If you were to ask Victorians which AFL team they support, the overwhelming majority would have a team. I'm sure it's probably the same in NSW with the NRL. All that means is that people have an answer for the question 'who do you support?'. As a Victorian I have an AFL team that I 'support', however I never go to games, never watch it on TV, don't read the results, don't know where my team is on the ladder and I would struggle to name any players. 
Also, did they happen to mention how many people answered 'I don't support any HAL team', or was that not an option on the survey.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Without knowing how this survey was conducted it's hard to take it seriously.
These guys predicted Labour would win the last election.Lol
Is it a simple case of all queenslanders supporting the Roar and all the other teams having their support divided by the number of teams in that state by the population?.
And 'support ',is such a loose term.Unless there is a clear translation to revenue ,then it's meaningless.
One thing we all know is the results don't correlate with viewers ,membership or crowds...If a tree falls in a forest......
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

yep. in other words, a load of bullshit. how can they quantify clubs losing a quarter of their fans in 1 year?  
Waz
Waz
Legend

crimsoncrusoe - 20 Nov 2019 12:38 PM
Without knowing how this survey was conducted it's hard to take it seriously.
These guys predicted Labour would win the last election.Lol
Is it a simple case of all queenslanders supporting the Roar and all the other teams having their support divided by the number of teams in that state by the population?.
And 'support ',is such a loose term.Unless there is a clear translation to revenue ,then it's meaningless.
One thing we all know is the results don't correlate with viewers ,membership or crowds...If a tree falls in a forest......

Well, actually it’s not.

Most people wouldn’t have the skills to assess whether a survey was conducted appropriately or not anyway, the irony for that is who did it - in this case Ray Morgan. So the question is, do you trust Ray Morgan? 

Other examples include OzTAM - people accept OzTAM figures without question and yet there’s every reason to be sceptical about those. 

In the case of this survey there are several years of data to go by, so there should be some clear trends. Roars figure has returned to a level of s fed years ago - nothing significant in that, that’s probably the Fowler effect. 

Its posted here for interest and discussion, we are not a university forum mulling over the Validity of data. Otherwise none of us would be able to comment on even the simplest things, such as who should or shouldn’t start come Saturday
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

This report is essentially meaningless.
Unless your support involves actually attending matches and/or watching matches on TV (and/or maybe streaming matches?), just saying you're a "supporter" has no effect on clubs or the league as a whole.

Edited
5 Years Ago by petszk
Waz
Waz
Legend

petszk - 20 Nov 2019 1:46 PM

This report is essentially meaningless.
Unless your support involves actually attending matches and/or watching matches on TV (and/or maybe streaming matches?), just saying you're a "supporter" has no effect on clubs or the league as a whole.

If you knew anything about market research and marketing you’d realise how nonsensical your comment is. Take Roar for example, in terms of supporters:

Their total available market is 24 million people. 

Their total addressable market is 523,000 

their FB is about 125,000

and twitter 54,000

attendance 11,000

membership about 9,000

.... and ticket sales likely coming from a pool of around 60-70,000 people. 

No one runs the business without knowing the numbers. This is just another number. 

Smart clubs would be calling Ray Morgan asking for the full data and the methodology. That way they can target their marketing rather than the BS Yoshi type stuff we get. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Waz
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Well done BR and all involved. A pat on the back for the NND.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Waz - 20 Nov 2019 1:45 PM
crimsoncrusoe - 20 Nov 2019 12:38 PM

Well, actually it’s not.

Most people wouldn’t have the skills to assess whether a survey was conducted appropriately or not anyway, the irony for that is who did it - in this case Ray Morgan. So the question is, do you trust Ray Morgan? 

Other examples include OzTAM - people accept OzTAM figures without question and yet there’s every reason to be sceptical about those. 

In the case of this survey there are several years of data to go by, so there should be some clear trends. Roars figure has returned to a level of s fed years ago - nothing significant in that, that’s probably the Fowler effect. 

Its posted here for interest and discussion, we are not a university forum mulling over the Validity of data. Otherwise none of us would be able to comment on even the simplest things, such as who should or shouldn’t start come Saturday

I cant agree with this.
The way data is collected is all important.
If its a multiple choice question with no option for ,'don't care ',then the data is flawed.
You should know better than most how easy it is to manipulate data.
These days to rely on the integrity of self regulated businesses is fool hardy.
And ,yes its a good result for Brisbane.But are you really in a position to look at the data without bias?..It's benefitting you after all.

Waz
Waz
Legend

crimsoncrusoe - 20 Nov 2019 2:07 PM
Waz - 20 Nov 2019 1:45 PM

I cant agree with this.
The way data is collected is all important.
If its a multiple choice question with no option for ,'don't care ',then the data is flawed.
You should know better than most how easy it is to manipulate data.
These days to rely on the integrity of self regulated businesses is fool hardy.
And ,yes its a good result for Brisbane.But are you really in a position to look at the data without bias?..It's benefitting you after all.

I don’t disagree with that - what I was saying is “we” can’t assess how something was done. 

We blindly accept OzTam figures so why not Ray Morgan 
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Waz - 20 Nov 2019 2:19 PM
crimsoncrusoe - 20 Nov 2019 2:07 PM

I don’t disagree with that - what I was saying is “we” can’t assess how something was done. 

We blindly accept OzTam figures so why not Ray Morgan 

...or even his brother Roy ...:D

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Who blindly accepts any marketing research crowd ? donkeys imo.
Morgans and OzTag are small in any case, son worked for Ekas and now with Ipsos < top 3 globally.
I've seen how/what they do and the variety of regular survey gravy chain randoms who are on their contact lists.
Having been on a couple of surveys upon request for it is good quick cash - he got me invited for I had vested business interest on the X subject, what I saw and watched my fellow survey attendants, I thought they don't have a utter clue and was there just for the money.
If its a phone survey - forget it.

Happy to say bravo well done, wish I could be more optimistic but I don't trust any of this crap.
I suppose anyone surveyed may have been asked who do you support more BR or SFC or MV :)

Love Football

Edited
5 Years Ago by LFC.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class

LFC. - 20 Nov 2019 3:26 PM
Who blindly accepts any marketing research crowd ? donkeys imo.
Morgans and OzTag are small in any case, son worked for Ekas and now with Ipsos < top 3 globally.
I've seen how/what they do and the variety of regular survey gravy chain randoms who are on their contact lists.
Having been on a couple of surveys upon request for it is good quick cash - he got me invited for I had vested business interest on the X subject, what I saw and watched my fellow survey attendants, I thought they don't have a utter clue and was there just for the money.
If its a phone survey - forget it.

Happy to say bravo well done, wish I could be more optimistic but I don't trust any of this crap.
I suppose anyone surveyed may have been asked who do you support more BR or SFC or MV :)

Lol.
Funny you should say that.A friends wife used to make money doing online surveys,while unemployed.So the whole process was flawed.
What it meant was people of a specific demographic were the main ones doing surveys.Ie..The sample wasn't random.
Thats the hard thing with surveys..Getting a true random selection.
Some people hate doing surveys.Some only do them for money.
Maybe Roar supporters have a lot of spare time.Lol

Waz
Waz
Legend

miron mercedes - 20 Nov 2019 3:26 PM
Waz - 20 Nov 2019 2:19 PM

...or even his brother Roy ...:D

His brothers a LIAR
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search