world football appreciation thread

world football appreciation thread

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
LFC. - 2 Dec 2019 1:29 PM
When you look at most of the main leagues its all pretty close - the usual suspects are hot and cold barring EPL LFC with that lead to date.

Who do you think will win the german league mate? 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 10 Dec 2019 8:19 AM
LFC. - 2 Dec 2019 1:29 PM

Who do you think will win the german league mate? 

Good question but I'm all for anyone finally ending Bayerns reign but they are not that far behind as well.
They are 7points behind in 7th.
Love to see Dortmund but RB are the front runners in scoring, any of the top 3 right now be happy as.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

This young Salzburg team (on top of their comp 17games undefeated) just played LFC in the CL are very impressive.
Came back from 3 down 1st round @Anfield to level 3-3 and todays game @ their home had us under the pump for 70mins.
1st half had their chances if it wasn't for Allison.
Technically very good - pace and many players to watch out for in the future.
They will give Europa a real good run I'll be watching them.

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

omg ronaldo's header 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

he's not a likeable player for me due to his arrogance (it takes all types) but I can't deny his passion/drive/abilities and keeping keeping on.

Love Football

Edited
5 Years Ago by LFC.
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 19 Dec 2019 9:15 AM
omg ronaldo's header 

I just saw it. The guy is a freak.
The athleticism is amazing but so is the skill to make the header from that position and put it on target, and away from the keeper.

I’ve watched it about 5 times and I still can’t believe it.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

yer mad athleticism for an old bloke by some !
Like I said the "want" an absolute winner of a player.

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Look at this schedule Olympics 24th July to 9th August

Euros 12th June to 12th July

copa America 12th June to 12th July 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

That young tall 19yr old Halland kid subbed on 56min with Dortmund down 1-3.
3mins in scores, 70thmin scores 79min hat trick ! Dort win 5-3.
2nd time he's scored on debut.
United will be spewing this kid felt better to sign with Dortmund instead of them haha.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

and no one has brought up 24yr old Jason Cummings from Shrewsbury.
Puts 2 away vs Pool in FACup.
and one of his parents is Aussie and he's a citizen.
Has chased up GA's assistant, he's been hedging his bets that I don't blame him.

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Man city have been kicked out of the champions league for two years 
BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Wonder what the outcome will be once they appeal the decision at the CAS?? 🤔

All the "big" teams will be watching very closely.

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Huge news but it was coming.

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

so great to see real madrid,barcelona and juventus not win in the knockout round (i know there is another leg)
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 27 Feb 2020 9:11 AM
so great to see real madrid,barcelona and juventus not win in the knockout round (i know there is another leg)

Real Madrid are done in Europe for several years at least.  
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

ErogenousZone - 27 Feb 2020 12:48 PM
Melbcityguy - 27 Feb 2020 9:11 AM

Real Madrid are done in Europe for several years at least.  

I remember going to the real madrid museum when it was in melbourne they have dominated for so long good to see imo 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

got to say it was a rippa game of the big boys.
I don't get someone in another thread saying its all same same know the result kind of quote.
Even though RM is not as good when Ronaldo was there imo (mind you Benzema is doing great out of his shadow) and a couple of others they are still doing ok.
This game was chess in the highest order watching.
Capitilise on the one or 2 mistakes.
Too much money with RM they will be rebuilt after the summer and Hazard has hardly played due to injury.
(loved Ramos getting his 25+ red)
Up hill for them next leg BUT I couldn't discount them till after the next 90mins.
Juve losing was suprising BUT again they are not firing as they were as last season to date, Sarri is not the right coach imo.
MCB, if I was Barca I'd be happy with the draw away incl the red card, they won't miss Vidal, hardly used him this season on the outer.
In saying that Napoli is a tuff top side as us LFC supporters know, Mertens is a beast of a forward, I would love them getting through but Messi at home another verse coming I suppose.
Bayern cleaned up Lampards squad at the Beach, I'm sure they will give them a fight in Germany but too tall an order doing a LFC :)........

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Watched first half Munich vs Leverkusen Saturday night good game very attacking but Bayern are way to good 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

yer Bayern have really carried on since the re start.....70points.
Dortmund 7points behind in 2nd, 63points
RB a couple of draws of late 11points behind in 3rd 59points

Love Football

robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Just go out there on the field and enjoy yourself. 
Edited
4 Years Ago by mcjules
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

How good is crouchy’s podcast 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Wondering how interesting people find the other leagues. It’s always the same winners psg,Bayern Celtic ect 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Its the same all over most times.
The smartest/strongest and wealthiest end up at the top, especially the modern game.
Is it right in the big picture ? what would people accept if say FIFA applied a whole new competition model that breaks it down more evenly so all clubs are a even share of the pie ?
Thank cable money might I add once Murdoch started up Sky.
All goverening bodies followed by Clubs opened their arms for the money.
Do we wish to see more Leicester type Clubs win titles ? yes I do but that was "one" of those seasons that the main contenders were going through hurdles/rebuilds/ and they just clicked importantly scoring high % of chances and sound defense.
Doesn't that always put you in line to win a title.
I think LFC's success should be given even more cred than it currently has, 30yrs since last win.
Not the kind of money City/United/Chelsea have thrown every year to win a title, yes LFC have spent but how its been done makes for a good storey :
Liverpool have spent wisely and with Klopp at the helm to bring it all together as they remain on course for a record breaking season. In the four-and-a-half years he has been at Anfield, he has bought 33 players at a cost of £401million. Having recouped £327m, their net spend has been just £74m since October 2015
By contrast, Manchester United’s net spend in the same period is estimated to be in excess of £400million.
In saying the above re the EPL, I think its in a good cycle by the way - its had 4 different winners last 5 seasons and a shuffle those finishing in top 6 AND its very competitive right down to bottom place.
Whereas for the other leagues and the regular "winners" those leagues are lacking from middle table down.
The interest is there from what I see but they lack depth.
Its says those clubs need to be smarter at management/coaching systems even without the funding those rich clubs have at their disposal.

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Wasn’t there supposed to be a third tier European competition? Did it get scrapped 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

don't know about a 3rd tier one but alot of talk for a top flight one incl 16 odd top Clubs that is getting rebutted by FIFA.
A mix of the top Clubs from each EU league.
Also there was Project Big Picture conjured up by United, Liverpool  owners and other members of the so-called Big Six clubs, a group of the richest teams in the league, who would have stood to gain most if the reforms were adopted.
Thats been rejected by FA fans and others thankfully.
The big money owners want to run their own course, greed, (sound familiar) hope it never eventuates.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

here's something for you
https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/4213902/how-a-european-super-league-could-happen-and-spell-doom-for-the-champions-league

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

here's an appreciation as long as your Messi and supporters.
They got what they've wanted
Whole board has resigned incl the Prez.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/27/barcelona-president-josep-maria-bartomeu-and-board-of-directors-resign

and at the same time agreed Barca to join European Super League.....

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Sorry didn’t respond to this but hopefully we never get this stupid idea in saying that I really think group stage champions league feels a bit boring the past few years 
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

LFC. - 28 Oct 2020 11:35 AM
here's an appreciation as long as your Messi and supporters.
They got what they've wanted
Whole board has resigned incl the Prez.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/27/barcelona-president-josep-maria-bartomeu-and-board-of-directors-resign

and at the same time agreed Barca to join European Super League.....

We might want pro/relegation in the A League however if that Super League goes ahead it will essentially be a European superclub version of it, you think some massive Euro club joining this competition is going to want to be relegated back their home countries league? Not likely. 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

I sure won't support any type of breakaway Super Euro comp like this model.
It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and Marcotti says it all in this sentence

"And if you follow the U.S. major league blueprint -- a closed league with no promotion and relegation, maybe a salary cap -- you're on to a guaranteed money-spinner."

Not surprising the outed Barca Prez agreed to say they are IN for they are in financial dire straits ! by their own doing might I add.

I don't want to see only the top flight Euro rich clubs in a stand alone comp year in year out.

CL Group stages boring ? different to the WC for seeing varying NT nations (minnows) some games are no different boring BUT nonetheless good to see "variety" and cup sets when if they occur.
CL has that the last couple of seasons, many Clubs qualifying for their first time, I see that as refreshing and as these less known first timers keep punching away they gain $$$ benefit to get stronger. (excl pandemic times) Group stages is part on the theatre - your sounding like just preffering to see the big clubs.
Thats not what its about.
I like CL, just saw a Turkish Clubs 1st time in CL gain their first win Instanbul Basaksehir vs of all Clubs United - what do you think that does for that Turkish Club, their biggest scalp to date in their Clubs history.
Thats what CL is about, just depends how invested you are in watching these games.

Love Football

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search