U19 World Cup 2020.

U19 World Cup 2020.

Author
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
https://www.espncricinfo.com/scores/series/8368/season/2020/icc-under-19-world-cup
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/squad/index.html?object=1204639

Edited
4 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

I’m not sure what to expect from which team? 

In the One Day WC, Afghanistan really surprised me. 
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

It's an interesting team Australia has chosen for South Africa, bit concerned about consistency from our players

Jake Fraser-McGurk is a talented player only 17 has made his FC debut, but believe it or not has been poor in the U19 comps I think the last nationals only av 25, but in the Futures made a very impressive 130 (the same game Street made 345)

Cooper Connolly is an amazing talent only 16 years of age av 66 in the last nationals and can bowl, can't wait to see him step up and another 2-3 years in the U19's, but is it too early for him against these more mature players, it can be demoralising for some.

Oliver Davies, Baggers has a big wrap on, but as one of the key batsmen for Australia has been inconsistent, Against Pakistan failed miserably but he was young, In Sri Lanka played well in the ODI's but in the test failed miserably and we lost the game, he is the key to Australia's batting.

Sam Fanning is one of our openers once again inconsistent, not a great Nationals only av 28, Does well in 1 game and follows up with poor returns in the next couple. Time for him to lead from the front and show some consistency

Mackenzie Harvey a future quality player, but can be inconsistent, but the step up for the Melbourne Renegades has given him experience.

Lachlan Hearne, totally deserving  of his call up with and average of 66 in the Nationals, but has failed every game in the Australian team against Sri Lanka and NZ. This has to be his time as a key middle order player

Corey Kelly, some players are very lucky to be picked, a very poor Nationals only 5 wickets in 8 games and goes in as Australia's first change bowler, and averaged 22 with the bat, I wouldn't classify him as an all rounder personally but you never know. He is an economical bowler which may be the reason for his selection.

Liam Marshall goes into this series as our No 1 pace bowler, but watching him against NZ up here, can bowl a really good spell with the new ball, but didn't have a lot later, and then in another game NZ did take to him early chasing a low score. But that is pace bowling I guess. He's been consistent without being outstanding.

Todd Murphy is a spinner who the only time i remember was against NZ where he was very impressive, can be a wicket taker, but can apply good pressure if needed. Had a solid Nationals.

Patrick Rowe, really good keeper, and is impressive with the bat av 49 in the last Nationals

Tanveer Sangha, impressive player without the accolades, yet to fail in my opinion, this is the best test for him, spinning on South Africa pitches against sub continent players

Liam Scott made his FC debut recently for SA, not great with the ball, but did get Bancroft with a wayward delivery, SA didn't seem to bowl him much in the last Nationals maybe he was injured, but he does take wickets normally, but playing for Australia, he's like the 5 or 6th bowler used, I have no idea why that is, his batting isn't really enough for selection there are a lot better.

Bradley Simpson. I can tell you he can't bat, as for bowling he did take 3/43 against ACT, maybe that was enough to be selected, because there wasn't much else.

Connor Sully was great 3 years ago in the U16's, but I am surprised by his selection only 5 wickets at 32 in the Nationals, it maybe his height, but I am not expecting much there.

Matthew Willans, I just don't see much there either, 2/124 in 8 games av 62 and I don't think he has taken a wicket for Australia yet in 2 games. I stand corrected he just took his first wicket in the warm up game against Bangladesh, which we tied, but they did dominate us.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19666/scorecard/1208358/australia-under-19s-vs-bangladesh-under-19s-warm-up-iccu19wc-warm-ups-2019-20

Edited
4 Years Ago by MikeR
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

wow @Mike, is it streamed anywhere?

MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

grazorblade - 15 Jan 2020 9:09 AM
wow @Mike, is it streamed anywhere?

I'm not sure if Kayo will be streaming I believe they do offer 14 day free trial and if you are willing to part with hard earned cash I suppose $25 isn't much for the one of series and free cancellation. Not sure if fox will be showing games, the rights are held by India Star Sports I believe, though I may be wrong there. A VPN can set you up for ESPN I believe, but Australia does seem to be out in the cold, with India streaming to over 200 countries, but I don't think Australia is one

http://www.cricketzine.com/icc-u19-cricket-world-cup-2020-live-streaming-tv-channel/

Edited
4 Years Ago by MikeR
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

I'm in north america so can probably take advantage of espn
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 15 Jan 2020 8:42 AM
It's an interesting team Australia has chosen for South Africa, bit concerned about consistency from our players

Jake Fraser-McGurk is a talented player only 17 has made his FC debut, but believe it or not has been poor in the U19 comps I think the last nationals only av 25, but in the Futures made a very impressive 130 (the same game Street made 345)

Cooper Connolly is an amazing talent only 16 years of age av 66 in the last nationals and can bowl, can't wait to see him step up and another 2-3 years in the U19's, but is it too early for him against these more mature players, it can be demoralising for some.

Oliver Davies, Baggers has a big wrap on, but as one of the key batsmen for Australia has been inconsistent, Against Pakistan failed miserably but he was young, In Sri Lanka played well in the ODI's but in the test failed miserably and we lost the game, he is the key to Australia's batting.

Sam Fanning is one of our openers once again inconsistent, not a great Nationals only av 28, Does well in 1 game and follows up with poor returns in the next couple. Time for him to lead from the front and show some consistency

Mackenzie Harvey a future quality player, but can be inconsistent, but the step up for the Melbourne Renegades has given him experience.

Lachlan Hearne, totally deserving  of his call up with and average of 66 in the Nationals, but has failed every game in the Australian team against Sri Lanka and NZ. This has to be his time as a key middle order player

Corey Kelly, some players are very lucky to be picked, a very poor Nationals only 5 wickets in 8 games and goes in as Australia's first change bowler, and averaged 22 with the bat, I wouldn't classify him as an all rounder personally but you never know. He is an economical bowler which may be the reason for his selection.

Liam Marshall goes into this series as our No 1 pace bowler, but watching him against NZ up here, can bowl a really good spell with the new ball, but didn't have a lot later, and then in another game NZ did take to him early chasing a low score. But that is pace bowling I guess. He's been consistent without being outstanding.

Todd Murphy is a spinner who the only time i remember was against NZ where he was very impressive, can be a wicket taker, but can apply good pressure if needed. Had a solid Nationals.

Patrick Rowe, really good keeper, and is impressive with the bat av 49 in the last Nationals

Tanveer Sangha, impressive player without the accolades, yet to fail in my opinion, this is the best test for him, spinning on South Africa pitches against sub continent players

Liam Scott made his FC debut recently for SA, not great with the ball, but did get Bancroft with a wayward delivery, SA didn't seem to bowl him much in the last Nationals maybe he was injured, but he does take wickets normally, but playing for Australia, he's like the 5 or 6th bowler used, I have no idea why that is, his batting isn't really enough for selection there are a lot better.

Bradley Simpson. I can tell you he can't bat, as for bowling he did take 3/43 against ACT, maybe that was enough to be selected, because there wasn't much else.

Connor Sully was great 3 years ago in the U16's, but I am surprised by his selection only 5 wickets at 32 in the Nationals, it maybe his height, but I am not expecting much there.

Matthew Willans, I just don't see much there either, 2/124 in 8 games av 62 and I don't think he has taken a wicket for Australia yet in 2 games. I stand corrected he just took his first wicket in the warm up game against Bangladesh, which we tied, but they did dominate us.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19666/scorecard/1208358/australia-under-19s-vs-bangladesh-under-19s-warm-up-iccu19wc-warm-ups-2019-20

Good analysis Mike. I boo booed.. Simpson is not a Qlder. He is a Sydney boy.. hails from Waugh country.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 15 Jan 2020 9:29 AM
grazorblade - 15 Jan 2020 9:09 AM

I'm not sure if Kayo will be streaming I believe they do offer 14 day free trial and if you are willing to part with hard earned cash I suppose $25 isn't much for the one of series and free cancellation. Not sure if fox will be showing games, the rights are held by India Star Sports I believe, though I may be wrong there. A VPN can set you up for ESPN I believe, but Australia does seem to be out in the cold, with India streaming to over 200 countries, but I don't think Australia is one

http://www.cricketzine.com/icc-u19-cricket-world-cup-2020-live-streaming-tv-channel/

I expect Fox Cricket will take the feed Mike. Or at the very least the finals. They did the last WC.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 15 Jan 2020 10:11 AM
MikeR - 15 Jan 2020 8:42 AM

Good analysis Mike. I boo booed.. Simpson is not a Qlder. He is a Sydney boy.. hails from Waugh country.

Baffling batting omissions are Mitchell Owen (Tas) Dylan Brasher (Vic), Isaac Higgins (CA) Jack Attenborough (NSW), Thomas Kelly (SA).
bowling: William Bowering (SA) Will Lovell (Vic) Caedence Keupper (TAS) Bailey Moon (CA).

Wondering how many of those selected are debutants?
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 14 Jan 2020 6:51 PM

I’m not sure what to expect from which team? 

In the One Day WC, Afghanistan really surprised me. 

I stand corrected if this is not a U19 WC debut for Nigeria, Japan and UAE. One glaring omission is Nepal. They have been an Associate Member since 1996.. time ICC moved them into the big league. They like India are passionate bordering on obsessive about cricket.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 15 Jan 2020 10:23 AM

Baffling batting omissions are Mitchell Owen (Tas) Dylan Brasher (Vic), Isaac Higgins (CA) Jack Attenborough (NSW), Thomas Kelly (SA).
bowling: William Bowering (SA) Will Lovell (Vic) Caedence Keupper (TAS) Bailey Moon (CA)

Surely CA the national titles have to be the major criteria for selection in a world cup..otherwise why hold it. Current form must take precedence over past. The only exception is Oliver Davies who missed the nationals thru injury. He has an one day 200 on his resume.. from last year's nationals. Not sure what injury Davies has had but he has missed a lot of cricket this year. He has only played 3 Premier Cricket matches.. but has a lazy @106  with more than 300 runs. So was in pretty good red ball form. I think he also scored big in a Futures League game. I see he did not lineup in the warm up.. so he is no doubt gonna be underdone.

Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 15 Jan 2020 10:14 AM
MikeR - 15 Jan 2020 9:29 AM

I expect Fox Cricket will have an 11th hour change of mind and take the feed Mike. Or at the very least the finals. They did the last WC.

MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

bowling: William Bowering (SA) Will Lovell (Vic) Caedence Keupper (TAS) Bailey Moon (CA).

Wondering how many of those selected are debutants?

Dylan Brasher should have been selected, a genuine opener, 95 against WA. 109* against Tasmania and 104 against ACT and if not him Mitchell Owen another opener 93 against WA 116 against Vic Metro and the most important one 108 against the CA IX. It seems to me they have a makeshift opener in Liam Scott, who I just can't understand, just because he played 1 game at FC level, it wasn't that impressive. At least one of those two should have been selected if not both

Bowering is the worst call IMO, no way he shouldn't have been selected, like really I would have him ahead of Todd Murphy, and definitely ahead of Simpson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEtJvTV4DNA

Bailey Moon took 7/22 against Victoria and CA have invested in him, should have been there instead of Willans. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbjLVrhD9W4

Nice keeping going around at the moment especially Snell, remember being young and agile Baggers.

There are only so many places available but some thought has to go into it, makeshift positions aren't required not when there are performers in those positions. 15 positions in South Africa 2 openers, 4 middle order players, 1 keeper, 2 all rounders (one batting, one bowling), 4 pace, 2 spinners
Edited
4 Years Ago by MikeR
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

MikeR - 15 Jan 2020 11:33 AM

Dylan Brasher should have been selected, a genuine opener, 95 against WA. 109* against Tasmania and 104 against ACT and if not him Mitchell Owen another opener 93 against WA 116 against Vic Metro and the most important one 108 against the CA IX. It seems to me they have a makeshift opener in Liam Scott, who I just can't understand, just because he played 1 game at FC level, it wasn't that impressive. At least one of those two should have been selected if not both

Bowering is the worst call IMO, no way he shouldn't have been selected, like really I would have him ahead of Todd Murphy, and definitely ahead of Simpson

Bailey Moon took 7/22 against Victoria and CA have invested in him, should have been there instead of Willans. 

Nice keeping going around at the moment especially Snell, remember being young and agile Baggers.

There are only so many places available but some thought has to go into it, makeshift positions aren't required not when there are performers in those positions. 15 positions in South Africa 2 openers, 4 middle order players, 1 keeper, 2 all rounders (one batting, one bowling), 4 pace, 2 spinners

you know a lot about the upcoming youth!
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 15 Jan 2020 11:33 AM

Mike we have some good young wristies. Bowering looks another. Liam Scott has not impressed me either for SA. If memory serves he did get a FL ton tho. A brilliant spell by Bailey Moon. A snorter his third wicket and what a keeper's snaffle that was. Snell?  I watched this match and the CA kids acquitted themselves brilliantly. Remember all of them are a year younger than their opponents.   Yes Mike madness to have a makeshift  when we have performing specialists. Quality red ball openers are as scarce as a snow storm in hell. Hopefully Aussie cricket has two in Bryce Street and Henry Hunt.. both have impressed me with their composure against the new cherry.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

Another warm up match in the U19's

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19666/scorecard/1208363/australia-under-19s-vs-canada-under-19s-warm-up-iccu19wc-warm-ups-2019-20

Baggers looks like your boy had a field day 94 of 27 deliveries, I think Canada may be applauding the dot delivery. Probably should have retired at 50 to give some of the other batsmen some practice, but looks like he is in good form. Jake Fraser-McGurk was the opener this time, wasn't successful.

Some other interesting warm up matches

Afghanistan Under 19s beat England (in our group)  by 21 runs

West Indies (in our group) struggled to beat Canada by 3 wickets and only 3 overs to go, but last night beat Scotland by 126

UAE U19  beat NZ U19 won by 1 wicket, but NZ bounced back O/N beating Bangladesh by 4 wickets

India are moving along as per India humiliating Afghanistan and getting home against Zimbabwe

South Africa lost to Sri Lanka by 15 runs, but beat Nigeria (our 2nd game) by 8 wickets, with Nigeria only scoring 61

However the team I think will win the tournament Undefeated, Japan, has got off to a slow start against Scotland losing by 256 runs and against UAE losing by 253 runs, see they're coming good, and at 10000 to 1 you just have to put $10 on them. 
Edited
4 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 16 Jan 2020 7:16 AM
Another warm up match in the U19's

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19666/scorecard/1208363/australia-under-19s-vs-canada-under-19s-warm-up-iccu19wc-warm-ups-2019-20

Baggers looks like your boy had a field day 94 of 27 deliveries, I think Canada may be applauding the dot delivery. Probably should have retired at 50 to give some of the other batsmen some practice, but looks like he is in good form. Jake Fraser-McGurk was the opener this time, wasn't successful.

Some other interesting warm up matches

Afghanistan Under 19s beat England (in our group)  by 21 runs

West Indies (in our group) struggled to beat Canada by 3 wickets and only 3 overs to go, but last night beat Scotland by 126

UAE U19  beat NZ U19 won by 1 wicket, but NZ bounced back O/N beating Bangladesh by 4 wickets

India are moving along as per India humiliating Afghanistan and getting home against Zimbabwe

South Africa lost to Sri Lanka by 15 runs, but beat Nigeria (our 2nd game) by 8 wickets, with Nigeria only scoring 61

However the team I think will win the tournament Undefeated, Japan, has got off to a slow start against Scotland losing by 256 runs and against UAE losing by 253 runs, see they're coming good, and at 10000 to 1 you just have to put $10 on them. 

Yes Mike. Ollie with a lazy 348 strike rate and 11 maximums. Well after all this bloke was the first and still only U19 player to hit  200 in the nationals. The things that most impresses me is he is not just a power hitter with little technique. So he is suited nicely to the red ball game too.. bit like Pucovski.

You are having a loan of me saying Japan is your team to beat. They can only get better from here so that is one positive.

Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 16 Jan 2020 9:11 AM
MikeR - 16 Jan 2020 7:16 AM

Yes Mike. Ollie with a lazy 348 strike rate and 11 maximums. Well after all this bloke was the first and still only U19 player to hit  200 in the nationals. The things that most impresses me is he not just a power hitter with little technique. So he is suited nicely to the red ball game too.. bit like Pucovski.

You are having a loan of me saying Japan is your team to beat. They can only get better from here so that is one positive.

C'Mon Baggers Japan 10000 to 1 long shots, why wouldn't you back them, better than Lotto odds, and harikari with a cricket bat may take a while to perform and we don't want that Baggers. I didn't say what year they would win.

Davies is the new generation batsman, big powerful shots that clear the rope, which we're going to see more of. Read the other day about a 17 year old Indian batsman scored a 200 in a List A game, by the name of Yashasvi Jaiswal, he's playing as well in this tournament, the difference is he did it in the sub-continent, South Africa pitches probably suits Davies more. It will be a good tournament, but I can't see much standing in the way of a victory for Australia, except for that inconsistency problem, if it all happens in one game, we're out. 
Edited
4 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 16 Jan 2020 9:29 AM
baggygreenmania - 16 Jan 2020 9:11 AM

C'Mon Baggers Japan 10000 to 1 long shots, why wouldn't you back them, better than Lotto odds, and harikari with a cricket bat may take a while to perform and we don't want that Baggers. I didn't say what year they would win.

Davies is the new generation batsman, big powerful shots that clear the rope, which we're going to see more of. Read the other day about a 17 year old Indian batsman scored a 200 in a List A game, by the name of Yashasvi Jaiswal, he's playing as well in this tournament, the difference is he did it in the sub-continent, South Africa pitches probably suits Davies more. It will be a good tournament, but I can't see much standing in the way of a victory for Australia, except for that inconsistency problem, if it all happens in one game, we're out. 

Mike I just took a look at the Canadian team.  All the X1 have a Sub Continental background. Most are Canadian born tho. Is Ontario the only Canadian province that plays cricket. All home grown boys were born there. 

What are your views about allowing teams that have no home grown natives, from playing in ICC sanctioned tournaments. My view is that the ICC needs to do more to get the native population playing cricket rather than those from traditional sub continental cricket nations. The US which is now an Associate Member had, the last time I looked, a side dominated by ex pat West Indian and Sub Cont players. While I am for growing our game into a global sport, I do want to see more home grown natives playing for their country. The ball is in the ICC court.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 16 Jan 2020 1:03 PM

Mike I just took a look at the Canadian team.  All the X1 have a Sub Continental background. Most are Canadian born tho. Is Ontario the only Canadian province that plays cricket. All home grown boys were born there. 

What are your views about allowing teams that have no home grown natives, from playing in ICC sanctioned tournaments. My view is that the ICC needs to do more to get the native population playing cricket rather than those from traditional sub continental cricket nations. The US which is now an Associate Member had, the last time I looked, a side dominated by ex pat West Indian and Sub Cont players. While I am for growing our game into a global sport, I do want to see more home grown natives playing for their country. The ball is in the ICC court.

Debutant Japan have 5 Japanese natives in its X1. That is what I want to see. The next World Cup that may be 6 or 7.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

Canada do have most born in Ontario, Calitz was born in Vancouver, Walia and was born in India, Kamal in Pakistan, so with immigration who knows how long they have been in Canada. Canada do have easier immigration laws, I believe a British resident royal and his USA born wife have just decided to move there, so they will be multi-cultural

Other teams there has to be some sort of leniency afterall in T20 which is going to be the global form of game with nearly 90 teams playing, to keep them interested they have to be competitive. I have no problem eg with Cameron Gannon playing for the USA, I think his mum is American. I do believe that most if not all the USA team recently named are residents of USA through immigration, Gannon hasn't been selected.

Afterall a lot of our athletes are Foreign born and moved to Australia and have represented Australia. Matt Renshaw, Andrew Symonds, Brendon Julian, Meg Lanning, Hilton Cartwright, Steve O'keefe, Usman Khawaja, not to mention other sports, Soccer, Basketball, athletics, both forms of Rugby,  Jelena Dokic,  Bernard Tomic,  Tatiana Grigorieva, Kostya Tszyu...the list goes on and we adopted them as our own.
Edited
4 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 16 Jan 2020 2:47 PM

Canada do have most born in Ontario, Calitz was born in Vancouver, Walia and was born in India, Kamal in Pakistan, so with immigration who knows how long they have been in Canada. Canada do have easier immigration laws, I believe a British resident royal and his USA born wife have just decided to move there, so they will be multi-cultural

Other teams there has to be some sort of leniency afterall in T20 which is going to be the global form of game with nearly 90 teams playing, to keep them interested they have to be competitive. I have no problem eg with Cameron Gannon playing for the USA, I think his mum is American. I do believe that most if not all the USA team recently named are residents of USA through immigration, Gannon hasn't been selected.

Afterall a lot of our athletes are Foreign born and moved to Australia and have represented Australia. Matt Renshaw, Andrew Symonds, Brendon Julian, Meg Lanning, Hilton Cartwright, Steve O'keefe, Usman Khawaja, not to mention other sports, Soccer, Basketball, athletics, both forms of Rugby,  Jelena Dokic,  Bernard Tomic,  Tatiana Grigorieva, Kostya Tszyu...the list goes on and we adopted them as our own.

I am talking specifically cricket teams.. and red ball cricket. I honestly dont give two stuffs what happens in T20 or ODI. My interest is seeing Test cricket remains pure. I see a European team for instance and instead of seeing German, Dutch or Hungarian names I am seeing Indian or Pakistan names. Is this what cricket wants. The German, Hungarian or Dutch teams may be promoted in the future into the Test family . I want to see German names when I read the team. The ICC needs to do more to entice more native cricketers into their own national team.

Meg Lanning was born to Australian parents.. Wasn't Bernard Tomic born here? I did not know SOK was born elsewhere.
Edited
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 16 Jan 2020 1:09 PM

Debutant Japan have 5 Japanese natives in its X1. That is what I want to see. The next World Cup that may be 6 or 7.

Didn’t know Japan even played cricket? 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Keyboard Warrior - 16 Jan 2020 11:37 PM
baggygreenmania - 16 Jan 2020 1:09 PM

Didn’t know Japan even played cricket? 

Yep been an an ICC Associate Member since 2005 KW. 
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 16 Jan 2020 3:34 PM
MikeR - 16 Jan 2020 2:47 PM

I am talking specifically cricket teams.. and red ball cricket. I honestly dont give two stuffs what happens in T20 or ODI. My interest is seeing Test cricket remains pure. I see a European team for instance and instead of seeing German, Dutch or Hungarian names I am seeing Indian or Pakistan names. Is this what cricket wants. The German, Hungarian or Dutch teams may be promoted in the future into the Test family . I want to see German names when I read the team. The ICC needs to do more to entice more native cricketers into their own national team.

Meg Lanning was born to Australian parents.. Wasn't Bernard Tomic born here? I did not know SOK was born elsewhere.

Baggers the ICC sanctioned tournaments, eg this U19 tournament, with the countries we see representing are limited over tournaments. Sorry to say these countries have zero interest in test cricket, it's the T20 format that is interesting them, Let's be honest, T20 is a hell of a lot more interesting than baseball, watching a pitcher throw in a strike zone, in the hope a batter may actually hit a home run, which doesn't occur every game. In T20 the balls do fly and on a regular basis, thus why Japan, America, China who are baseball orientated are interested. And a result occurs in under 3 hours. 

Test cricket is dead even in most of the test playing nations, crowd support has dropped off severely even here in Australia. England and Australia it still remains OK, but in all honesty teams are no longer wishing to play tests in Australia, you can see that in their performances, they're just doing their duty and now India have the monkey off their back, it will be interesting to see how they approach future series. The most common thought is that overseas players do not have enough preparation to play in Australian conditions and now Australia is forcing Day/Night games on them and they have zero preparation for that. India will not play D/N tests at all. In a way Australia is contributing to the demise of test cricket, and white washes will become a common occurrence in Australia, that crowds won't come, there is no contest. Deep down you do know this, it is sad for us dinosaurs but that is the reality. The only nations that do take test cricket seriously are Australia, England and India, lesser extent South Africa but even the players now are leaving South Africa in the quest for money.

Bernard Tomic is German and SOK was born in Malaysia. Meg Lanning, has a Singapore birth certificate thus is eligible to play for them, technically that takes precedence over playing for Australia.  
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 17 Jan 2020 9:39 AM
baggygreenmania - 16 Jan 2020 3:34 PM

Baggers the ICC sanctioned tournaments, eg this U19 tournament, with the countries we see representing are limited over tournaments. Sorry to say these countries have zero interest in test cricket, it's the T20 format that is interesting them, Let's be honest, T20 is a hell of a lot more interesting than baseball, watching a pitcher throw in a strike zone, in the hope a batter may actually hit a home run, which doesn't occur every game. In T20 the balls do fly and on a regular basis, thus why Japan, America, China who are baseball orientated are interested. And a result occurs in under 3 hours. 

Test cricket is dead even in most of the test playing nations, crowd support has dropped off severely even here in Australia. England and Australia it still remains OK, but in all honesty teams are no longer wishing to play tests in Australia, you can see that in their performances, they're just doing their duty and now India have the monkey off their back, it will be interesting to see how they approach future series. The most common thought is that overseas players do not have enough preparation to play in Australian conditions and now Australia is forcing Day/Night games on them and they have zero preparation for that. India will not play D/N tests at all. In a way Australia is contributing to the demise of test cricket, and white washes will become a common occurrence in Australia, that crowds won't come, there is no contest. Deep down you do know this, it is sad for us dinosaurs but that is the reality. The only nations that do take test cricket seriously are Australia, England and India, lesser extent South Africa but even the players now are leaving South Africa in the quest for money.

Bernard Tomic is German and SOK was born in Malaysia. Meg Lanning, has a Singapore birth certificate thus is eligible to play for them, technically that takes precedence over playing for Australia.  

Well Tomic is welcome to go and play for Germany. He aint no good to us. Maybe technically. But Meg will play her entire career for us. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 17 Jan 2020 9:21 AM
Keyboard Warrior - 16 Jan 2020 11:37 PM

Yep been an an ICC Associate Member since 2005 KW. 

I had no idea either.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 17 Jan 2020 10:34 AM
baggygreenmania - 17 Jan 2020 9:21 AM

I had no idea either.

There are 95 Associate members DC. That is a potential 95 Test playing nations..if ICC is serious about growing our sport globally. That has to be their #1 priority.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 17 Jan 2020 10:36 AM
baggygreenmania - 17 Jan 2020 10:28 AM

Mike you are only espousing the same unsubstantiated speculation as paddles. You trying to tell me that Afghanistan and Ireland were not pleased to be welcomed into the Test family. I reckon if we were to do a survey on all Test cricketers .. most  are saying playing Test cricket is the pinnacle of their career.  Even India who are obsessed with T20. 

The TCA Members are thrilled about the introduction of Ireland as a Test country, Baggers. 

You probably heard it when you visited. Ireland and Afghanistan are viewed as potential Test opponents at Bellerive. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search