England Lions in Oz 2020.

England Lions in Oz 2020.

Author
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I believe this deserves its own thread as we will be watching some future Aussie players as they go into battle against England's second best cricket side..
The first match of the tour was won by the visitors.  Aussie- born Sam Haim top scored for England.
I have to question why was Caleb Jewell selected. He has barely scored a run for months.. tho he did start the season well in the Marsh Cup. Glad to see Cameron Boyce is still on CA radar.
https://www.cricket.com.au/series/england-lions-tour-of-australia-ca-xi-nsw-xi-australia-a/UOfog3daSkeuRbZg-GG2FAhttps://live.cricket.com.au/match/2410/46439/cricket-australia-xi-men-vs-england-lions-england-lions-tour-of-australia/scorecard

Edited
4 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Was hoping CA is live streaming the tour games. I missed the first match. Was it shown on CA website?

...and Mike before you jump down my throat. I have no idea why there are three matches featuring a Blues X1. Baffling.

DC will you and TCA boys be watching the four dayer on Feb 15.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 3 Feb 2020 9:36 AM

Was hoping CA is live streaming the tour games. I missed the first match. Was it shown on CA website?

...and Mike before you jump down my throat. I have no idea why there are three matches featuring a Blues X1. Baffling.

Australia A Squad: Moises Henriques (c), Jackson Bird, Marcus Harris, Josh Inglis (wk), Usman Khawaja (vc), Michael Neser, Kurtis Patterson, James Pattinson, Will Pucovski, Mark Steketee, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson. 
Not sure what to make of this squad. It is dominated by veterans. Where are the next gens.. other than Pucovski and Inglis. Biggest shock is Henriques. After a decade of mediocrity he is is having a good 2019/20 so lets pick him over far more worthy players. And as skipper.. he does not even captain the Blues now. A strong pace attack with an overdue call up for leggie Swepson. Inglis has jumped several to be our second ranked keeper. I see Harris and Stoinis as the batting weak links.  Tho Stoinis may not play as he is on standby for the Saffer tour.

Edited
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Certainly will.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 5 Feb 2020 12:35 PM

Australia A Squad: Moises Henriques (c), Jackson Bird, Marcus Harris, Josh Inglis (wk), Usman Khawaja (vc), Michael Neser, Kurtis Patterson, James Pattinson, Will Pucovski, Mark Steketee, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson. 
Not sure what to make of this squad. It is dominated by veterans. Where are the next gens.. other than Pucovski and Inglis. Biggest shock is Henriques. After a decade of mediocrity he is is having a good 2019/20 so lets pick him over far more worthy players. And as skipper.. he does not even captain the Blues now. A strong pace attack with an overdue call up for leggie Swepson. Inglis has jumped several to be our second ranked keeper. I see Harris and Stoinis as the batting weak links.  Tho Stoinis may not play as he is on standby for the Saffer tour.

Meredith's out with an injury ATM.

I'm surprised Jhye Richardson isn't in this team?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 6 Feb 2020 12:31 AM
baggygreenmania - 5 Feb 2020 12:35 PM

Meredith's out with an injury ATM.

I'm surprised Jhye Richardson isn't in this team?

Not back trouble for Meredith is it. Jhye Richardson has been chosen for the Saffer white ball tour. I too prefer he played red ball for us. 
Decentric - 6 Feb 2020 12:30 AM

Certainly will.

Wishing I was joining you all.     Just turn on four good weather days Hobart.

Edited
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

There has been absolutely no publicity about this game! 

I wrote to the TCA CEO and media officer a few days ago asking them to publicise the game through media networks. 

Nothing has happened! 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 14 Feb 2020 6:55 PM
There has been absolutely no publicity about this game! 

I wrote to the TCA CEO and media officer a few days ago asking them to publicise the game through media networks. 

Nothing has happened! 

Probably under CA orders. Red ball cricket is the poor cousin to white ball in the eyes of the people running our game DC. It is a disgrace. To my knowledge the Aussie A v Lions match is not being telecast or even live streamed and it is a day/niter being played at the G
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 14 Feb 2020 7:16 PM
Decentric - 14 Feb 2020 6:55 PM

Probably under CA orders. Red ball cricket is the poor cousin to white ball in the eyes of the people running our game DC. It is a disgrace. To my knowledge the Aussie A v Lions match is not being telecast or even live streamed and it is a day/niter being played at the G

What do you expect Baggers, This is England A, those that England will promote with no expectation of success against future Australian players

Moises Henriques (c), Garbage, you know that, I know that
Jackson Bird C'Mon how many years left? would be better with Neser he's got  a few years ahead of him
Marcus Harris been there done that, fail........
Josh Inglis (wk) grasping at straws should be Jimmy Pierson we all know that
Usman Khawaja (vc) What ever???? too old didn't perform etc.etc.
Michael Neser good selection, The number 1 line and length bowler in Australia, everyone knows that!!!!! Pakistan rated him an equal to Vernon Philander, no higher respect than that

Kurtis Patterson good selection hasn't done much in the last year, being injured but don't expect much

James Pattinson how does the incumbent be demoted to reserves?????? Josh Hazlewood is coming back from injury so IMO, Josh should be the one selected in Australia A, Pattinson is the incumbent test bowler from a test winning series against a higher ranked team.

Will Pucovski great expectations
Mark Steketee great expectations,
Marcus Stoinis expectations as an all rounder,
 Mitchell Swepson. the new spinner for Australia

Edited
4 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 14 Feb 2020 9:17 PM

What do you expect Baggers, This is England A, those that England will promote with no expectation of success against future Australian players

Jackson Bird C'Mon how many years left? would be better with Neser he's got  a few years ahead of him
Michael Neser good selection, The number 1 line and length bowler in Australia, everyone knows that!!!!! Pakistan rated him an equal to Vernon Philander, no higher respect than that

Kurtis Patterson good selection hasn't done much in the last year, being injured but don't expect much

James Pattinson how does the incumbent be demoted to reserves?????? Josh Hazlewood is coming back from injury so IMO, Josh should be the one selected in Australia A, Pattinson is the incumbent test bowler from a test winning series against a higher ranked team.

Not so Mike. Add Sibley, Pope and Crawley to their lineup..All three played in recent Tests.

Moises Henriques (c), Garbage, you know that, I know that. / agree. One good summer in a decade. Are CA kidding.
Jackson Bird C'Mon how many years left? would be better with Neser he's got  a few years ahead of him / agree. I am giving either Wes Agar or Harry Conway his berth. I do wonder tho where is the next metronomic seamer  for the next gen coming from. Has T20 killed him?
Marcus Harris been there done that, fail........ agree. Like Head unable to convert in the big stuff.
Josh Inglis (wk) grasping at straws should be Jimmy Pierson we all know that / agree. Inglis is one of these CA pets. But he has produced some good red ball knocks of late. His keeping looks tidy tho not as clinical as Peirson.
Usman Khawaja (vc) What ever???? too old didn't perform etc.etc. / agree .. his poor Ashes did me.
Michael Neser good selection, The number 1 line and length bowler in Australia, everyone knows that!!!!! Pakistan rated him an equal to Vernon Philander, no higher respect than that / not as enthusiastic as you Mike.. but deserves his chance. The number 1 line and length bowler in Australia?Are you for real. Pakistan were terrible. Nothing like Philander. I say more like Cummins or Pattinson. Definitely next in line. 

Edited
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Dom Sibley looks superb! 

Classy batting! 

Never heard of the Aus attack outside Dogget and Pope. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Wonderful batting from England’s  Sibley, Jennings and Lawrence. 

They have strike rates  of over 60, 70 and 80 respectively ATM. 

We could witness three centuries in a day! 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I've just understood this Aus eleven is a team almost made up of fringe Shield players who struggle to make their state squads.

Nevertheless, England's Sibley, Jennings and Lawrence batted as well as I've seen any team for a number seasons in red ball cricket today.

One of the  former high level cricketers who is a TCA member, identified that Sibley doesn't face as side on as orthodoxy dictates, opening his stance towards leg a little. Hence, he leaves a slight gap between bat and pad. I think his innings was chanceless, though. Barely a ball beat  his bat.

I'll closely watch  this trio's careers in the next few years. The run rate was about 4.5 runs an over by  the end of the day.   

Edited
4 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Pierson is rated similar to Nevill and the Vic keeper.

Got  some inside info on national selectors' thinking today.

Although Nevill may be regarded as next best keeper after Paine, given Carey is approaching  thirty, if Paine plays a few more seasons, Inglis at age 23, offers more of a long term proposition  than the South Aussie keeper.  Carey's batting prowess is rated better than his keeping skills.

Inside info is that the national selection panel have considered  Paine was easily the best  Aus keeper as soon as  his injured hand  healed. They were  frustrated Paine was dropped  from Tassie side  due to a personal  issue with a key member of the Tas coaching panel. No other state moved for Paine, but national selectors consider him the world's best keeper.

Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

Poms thrashing the Aus Cricket Eleven in Tas. Glad I have not thad to watch three Pommy batsmen  making centuries in one day! 
Brew
Brew
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Not much info about this game in the media.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I really enjoyed wrist spinner Pope having a long spell. He was hit by Lawrence  late in his spell, but in  the middle he produced some  tight  penetrative bowling. If  leg slip had been installed he would have had one wicket from an awkward, skied, cross bat shot, and, he had two very close LBW calls.

Perry and Hadley,  who  have never played Shield cricket, only second eleven or one day, looked relatively innocuous.

Doggett, who led the Queensland attack earlier in the season in the Shield against Tas, bowled well and had success. 

Jack Edwards looked far better bowling for NSW against Tas earlier in the season.

I'm really surprised that this is the lead up game to an Australia A/British Lions game next week. Both games are supposed preparation for an English tour of Sri Lanka, I think.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Baggers, Mike and everybody else, is this game being televised?

Yesterday's cricket was the best of the season, if one can put a neutral hat on and laud English batting. With the three batting stars,  Dom Sibley (6 Tests), Keaton  Jennings (17 Tests) and Dan Lawrence ( 0 Tests), they demonstrated tight technique, patience when required, and some fabulous stroke play. 

One comment in the members  was there was  a lot of boundary hitting, with less singles than expected.

Sibley looks a class act. As I understand   it, he is the new wonder boy of English batting, despite a  former top level player in the TCA members identifying a bat pad gap technical flaw.

Jennings is a left hander.  He  demonstrated patience, but once his eye was in, he really pushed the score along with a strike rate of 70 in his century

Lawrence plays with very erect, upright, straight legs, rather than the conventional bent legs when he cuts and some  his other  shots. He can really strike a ball though, as he made a very entertaining  century a with a strike rate of over 80.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I wish we had had an attack comprising Hazlewood, Patto, Jhye Richardson, Bird, Neser and possibly Swepson, as well as Pope bowling for the Aus eleven.

Also, Pucovski should have been playing too.

Stoinis needs to show more in red ball cricket.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 16 Feb 2020 8:46 AM
Baggers, Mike and everybody else, is this game being televised?

Yesterday's cricket was the best of the season, if one can put a neutral hat on and laud English batting. With the three batting stars,  Dom Sibley (6 Tests), Keaton  Jennings (17 Tests) and Dan Lawrence ( 0 Tests), they demonstrated tight technique, patience when required, and some fabulous stroke play. 

One comment in the members  was there was  a lot of boundary hitting, with less singles than expected.

Sibley looks a class act. As I understand   it, he is the new wonder boy of English batting, despite a  former top level player in the TCA members identifying a bat pad gap technical flaw.

Jennings is a left hander.  He  demonstrated patience, but once his eye was in, he really pushed the score along with a strike rate of 70 in his century

Lawrence plays with very erect, upright, straight legs, rather than the conventional bent legs when he cuts and some  his other  shots. He can really strike a ball though, as he made a very entertaining  century a with a strike rate of over 80.

What is the Bellerive deck doing DC. Is there movement. No turn to speak of as Pope has gone for 132 runs with the solitary wicket.
No it is not being telecast or even live streamed as CA is trying to kill red ball cricket. I dont even see reports on media sites. 

I have to agree with you this attack is not up to standard. Who is Mitchell Perry? Doggett was the most successful but not sure how he got the nod over better more promising quicks in Wes Agar, Xavier Bartlett, Henry Thornton or David Grant. The other form bowler is Harry Conway. Why didn't he get a berth. It is now almost two years since Jason Sangha became the second youngest (after Tendulkar) to score a century against a touring team (England). Sadly the child prodigy has done nothing since. He like many before him is unable to handle the pressure of expectation. Baffling how Jack Edwards got the nod.. clearly out of his depth at this level. Lets hope now both score big for the CAX1 boys and make a liar out of me... specially Sangha. 
Yes DC the Pommies have a couple of good'ns in Sibley and Pope.. the other one carrying plenty of wraps.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 16 Feb 2020 11:01 AM

What is the Bellerive deck doing DC. Is there movement. No turn to speak of as Pope has gone for 132 runs with the solitary wicket.
No it is not being telecast or even live streamed as CA is trying to kill red ball cricket. I dont even see reports on media sites. 

I have to agree with you this attack is not up to standard. Who is Mitchell Perry? Doggett was the most successful but not sure how he got the nod over better more promising quicks in Wes Agar, Xavier Bartlett, Henry Thornton or David Grant. The other form bowler is Harry Conway. Why didn't he get a berth. Baffling how Jack Edwards got the nod.. clearly out of his depth at this level. 
Yes DC the Pommies have a couple of good'ns in Sibley and Pope.. the other one carrying plenty of wraps.

I just took a look at the CAX1 batting. Sam Whiteman, Caleb Jewell, Jason Sangha, Jake Lehmann (c), Lachlan Pfeffer (wk), Jack Edwards, Max Bryant, CA is kidding.. picking that lot. I am thinking the criteria for selection was mediocrity as all bar perhaps Sam Whiteman have barely scored a red ball run this summer. Where are the next big things in red ball cricket? I can see a whopping innings victory to the Pommies. This is specially a big chance that Jason Sangha has to take. It is now almost two years since Sangha became the second youngest (after Tendulkar) to score a century against a touring team (England).  It appears he like many before him was unable to handle the excessive media hype and pressure of expectation. 
Edited
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I'm just heading to the  game, Baggers. 

Will reply to the pitch's seam movement, after consulting experts. I thought there was little movement, but it could have been a mismatch in skill.

By the way, TCA boys and girls say hello.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I waited until England bowled before making a judgement.

With the new ball, the pitch did a lot more with England's Gregory and Robinson bowling.  Direct from the Aus dressing room, Jewell was adamant the short ball hit his arm after being adjudged out, not gloves or bat, but there was no DRS.

The other bowlers, Overton and  Gleeson, got less out of the pitch as the shine wore off. Bess bowled finger spin darts.

At last I've seen Sangha compile a decent innings. I have no idea what the stumps score is, because we left early.

With England declaring at 7 -613, and some dropped catches by Aus, England were well in control. Aust was about 2-80 when I left, with Sangha and Lehman not out.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

This game at Bellerive continues to be unreported.

A number of  TCA Members have written letters to the TCA CEO and media officer, asking why the game has not been publicised - receiving no responses.

A number of us are now flooding Cricket Tas's Facebook page expressing our disquiet about the lack of publicity for  this fixture with some quality English  internationals  on show.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 16 Feb 2020 10:24 PM

I waited until England bowled before making a judgement.

With the new ball, the pitch did a lot more with England's Gregory and Robinson bowling.  Direct from the Aus dressing room, Jewell was adamant the short ball hit his arm after being adjudged out, not gloves or bat, but there was no DRS.

The other bowlers, Overton and  Gleeson, got less out of the pitch as the shine wore off. Bess bowled finger spin darts.

At last I've seen Sangha compile a decent innings. I have no idea what the stumps score is, because we left early.

With England declaring at 7 -613, and some dropped catches by Aus, England were well in control. Aust was about 2-80 when I left, with Sangha and Lehman not out.

Yes finally we all are seeing Sangha compile a decent score and against decent opposition .. 
 The CA attack looks out of its depth at this level.  All are state rookies.. I know Hadley is. What was needed was a seasoned professional to lead this attack.. say Pete Siddle . 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Nice century from Lehman! 

Jack Edwards 57 off 91 balls. 

England very noisy in the field compared to Aus. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Aus 4-301 chasing 7-613.

Lehman is starting to hammer the English attack! 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Superb cricket at Bellerive from Aus batting. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

England has used tight spin to slow the run rate down. 

Aus 4-354 at tea. 

Lehman 150 NO. 

Edwards 81 NO. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Baggers, the pitch has little movement now the new ball has lost its shine, even the second new ball. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search