The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Members mail this arvo:

As you may be aware, Football Federation Australia (FFA) recently announced that it has postponed the final rounds of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 season.

FFA will review the situation over the coming weeks with a further formal status assessment now scheduled for April 22.

The goal of the FFA at this stage is to reschedule games as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so in order to complete the season. We will be ready to continue should the competition be able to resume and make our run to the finals.

Brisbane Roar, whilst sharing the disappointment of our members, supporters and partners, supports this decision.

Strong action is required to ensure the health and safety of our community, including our players, staff, partners and supporters. We are in this together, and we will continue to Roar As One.

This situation continues to evolve at a rapid rate. The impact on our community does not discriminate and we know that so many of our valued Brisbane Roar family have been affected.

During this period we are continuing to support our players, ensuring their fitness and mental well-being is maintained.

Football is not immune to the financial impacts of the COVID-19 global pandemic. Like so many businesses, we have had to make difficult decisions to ensure the long-term viability of our club and code.
Our club; players, coaches, administration and ownership group, are united in doing everything within our power to protect your club and its future.
“On behalf of the playing group, we would like to thank our dedicated members and fans for their ongoing support through what is a very difficult time for everybody,” Captain Tom Aldred said.
“Your support means everything to us so we truly thank you.

“The playing group is continuing to train and preparing to be at our best so we will be ready to give 100% for one another, our fans and this Club once again soon.
“When the time comes, we look forward to getting back to where we were heading as a team with you behind us – winning matches and soaking in those moments with your great support. 

“Enjoying those wins in front of the Brisbane Roar fans is what inspires us to come back fitter, stronger and more ready than ever. We can’t wait to see, hear and feel the orange once again. Stay safe, and as always, Roar As One.”

We promise to keep you up to date with the latest information and will continue to let you know what we are doing as a club and code.

Above all, we sincerely thank you for your loyalty and support during these unprecedented and difficult times.

Stay safe and look after yourself, your family and those close to you as you play your part in reducing the spread of the virus.

David Pourre
CEO

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

So players are still being paid?
notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 1 Apr 2020 7:52 PM
So players are still being paid?

No
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Bloody hell, I go away for a few months and the entire A League gets shut down.  What have you done?

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

clockwork orange - 2 Apr 2020 7:50 PM
Bloody hell, I go away for a few months and the entire A League gets shut down.  What have you done?

In your absence we were all blaming you 🤪
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Waz - 2 Apr 2020 7:57 PM
clockwork orange - 2 Apr 2020 7:50 PM

In your absence we were all blaming you 🤪

What do you mean in his absence - we still do.

We pulled the team out of the muck and into glory while you were away, and now you bring this back with you!

Good to hear from you though Clockwork ;)

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Waz
Waz
Legend

Roar in me Blood - 2 Apr 2020 10:03 PM
Waz - 2 Apr 2020 7:57 PM

What do you mean in his absence - we still do.

We pulled the team out of the muck and into glory while you were away, and now you bring this back with you!

Good to hear from you though Clockwork ;)

Until Clockwork came back I thought we were in with a chance of winning the Grand Final too ... 
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

Grand final spot was all but sown up !!!
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Socceroos took the longest time to qualify for the World Cup.

Roar to take the longest time to win a season of ALeague football - a record likely held as long as our number of games undefeated.

Who had hope and has given it up so cheaply?

If we can fight through our critics this season we can win this even carrying a recumbent Clockwork.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

I guess the current situation with the state government going into historical debt and their spiritual dislike of soccer will see the end of any support for BRFC building a new stadium. Bet anyone Dolphin Stadium will be our new home next season unless Suncorp throws some freebies at Roar which will be unlikely.

In a resort somewhere

Waz
Waz
Legend

paulc - 6 Apr 2020 8:30 AM
I guess the current situation with the state government going into historical debt and their spiritual dislike of soccer will see the end of any support for BRFC building a new stadium. Bet anyone Dolphin Stadium will be our new home next season unless Suncorp throws some freebies at Roar which will be unlikely.

I think the opposite. 

Assuming the A-League survives in some form what we are likely to see in the post-Corona era is job creation schemes - bridges, hospitals, new school buildings, road widening etc. they will spend to create employment. 

The key words in Roars press release on this topic was not “new stadium” but “refurbished” and “repurposed” so a $50m spend not a $350m spend. That’s easily done. 

I agree with you on Dolphin though - that’s Roars new short term home I recon. 

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Waz - 6 Apr 2020 9:13 AM
paulc - 6 Apr 2020 8:30 AM

I think the opposite. 

Assuming the A-League survives in some form what we are likely to see in the post-Corona era is job creation schemes - bridges, hospitals, new school buildings, road widening etc. they will spend to create employment. 

The key words in Roars press release on this topic was not “new stadium” but “refurbished” and “repurposed” so a $50m spend not a $350m spend. That’s easily done. 

I agree with you on Dolphin though - that’s Roars new short term home I recon. 

Hospitals, schools and roads are a necessity to build and can be a bonafide reason for creating jobs - if there are funds available to do so.

Our Labor government, like good lefties, have plunged the state into record debt prior to the virus surpassing any other state. I doubt they will give a non-essential leg-up to soccer particularly if a LNP government comes in and tightens the purse strings so we don' go broke.         

In a resort somewhere

Edited
4 Years Ago by paulc
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

The big problem for everyone once the Virus is dealt with is  debt.
Government Debt is going to be so massive,there will be no money left to spend on infrastructure .
Then there are  the businesses and individuals also with extra debt from enforced shutdowns.
It's going to be tough.
Less money ,more taxes and who knows what will happen to Football.
The more I read about Football,the more I am feeling less enthused about everything.
FFA with ridiculous staff numbers and clearly floundering in their own mismanagement ,owners so focused on themselves and complete disunity all around.
The more things change with football the more they remain the same.
It's a basket case .
Until there is a true football pyramid ,where people/ teams earn the right to play in competitions everything else happening is just wasting time and doomed for failure.
Covid 19 is just speeding up what was always going to happen.
Waz
Waz
Legend

paulc - 6 Apr 2020 9:41 AM
Waz - 6 Apr 2020 9:13 AM

Hospitals, schools and roads are a necessity to build and can be a bonafide reason for creating jobs - if there are funds available to do so.

Our Labor government, like good lefties, have plunged the state into record debt prior to the virus surpassing any other state. I doubt they will give a non-essential leg-up to soccer particularly if a LNP government comes in and tightens the purse strings so we don' go broke.         

It’s not what they build that’s “essential” it’s that they spend money that drives employment and then the economy that’s important. 

The schools program last time was a good example - new buildings for schools were built whether schools needed them or not   

Roar had two advantages with their plan. It intended to refurbish an existing government asset and it was a modest built. 

The debt from this will be huge but it can’t stop now. 

The economy must either be driven or we suffer a 5-10 year depression (the last time the world had a depression it took WWII to drag us out of it - depressions don’t end themselves). 

Waz
Waz
Legend

crimsoncrusoe - 6 Apr 2020 10:10 AM
The big problem for everyone once the Virus is dealt with is  debt.
Government Debt is going to be so massive,there will be no money left to spend on infrastructure .
Then there are  the businesses and individuals also with extra debt from enforced shutdowns.
It's going to be tough.
Less money ,more taxes and who knows what will happen to Football.
The more I read about Football,the more I am feeling less enthused about everything.
FFA with ridiculous staff numbers and clearly floundering in their own mismanagement ,owners so focused on themselves and complete disunity all around.
The more things change with football the more they remain the same.
It's a basket case .
Until there is a true football pyramid ,where people/ teams earn the right to play in competitions everything else happening is just wasting time and doomed for failure.
Covid 19 is just speeding up what was always going to happen.

I think you’re correct in everything but a bit harsh on football. 

AFL, SuperRugby and NRL all have their backs to the wall as well - there’s nothing really football could have gone different imo. Even the AFL/NRL mega media deals didn’t save them and even some EPL clubs are talking about going bust within 6 months. 

paulc
paulc
Legend

Waz - 6 Apr 2020 10:50 AM
paulc - 6 Apr 2020 9:41 AM

It’s not what they build that’s “essential” it’s that they spend money that drives employment and then the economy that’s important. 

The schools program last time was a good example - new buildings for schools were built whether schools needed them or not   

Roar had two advantages with their plan. It intended to refurbish an existing government asset and it was a modest built. 

The debt from this will be huge but it can’t stop now. 

The economy must either be driven or we suffer a 5-10 year depression (the last time the world had a depression it took WWII to drag us out of it - depressions don’t end themselves). 

You can't lump in a stadium refurbishment with the more pressing infrastructure expenditure on schools and hospitals and roads etc. There's never enough money for these as it stands, depression or not and soccer will be right down the pecking order. That's the reality.

In a resort somewhere

Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

I can see the GST going to 15% in post covid, as it is in NZ, to pay for all the handouts.
liberals have been wanting to do it for some time and now they can justify it on the back of the handouts. 
paulc
paulc
Legend

Jimo8 - 9 Apr 2020 8:00 AM
I can see the GST going to 15% in post covid, as it is in NZ, to pay for all the handouts.
liberals have been wanting to do it for some time and now they can justify it on the back of the handouts. 

No, it won't happen. Not part of heir genes to raise taxes.

What I predict is that the overly wasteful diesel submarine contract will be torn up and may go nuclear at half the cost. That's about a $40 billion saving alone. Then reduce public services inflated wages, privatize the ABC and other cost cutting measures. They'll have to forgo the promised tax cuts as well. Can't be business as usual.

In a resort somewhere

Waz
Waz
Legend

Jimo8 - 9 Apr 2020 8:00 AM

Not sure why this comment is in the Roar thread but hey .....

Everything has to be paid for plus a cash reserve built up for future instances because this will happen again. 

How they will do it will be interesting - the smart people will recognise that everything has changed and there’s no “going back” to the way it was. 

Death Duties, End to franking credits, increased taxes for the wealthy, taxing of companies that avoid tax by sending profits off shore, Taxing multiple property owners more, and yes GST increases are all options. 

And out of all of this they’ll find $60m for Roars refurbished stadium ..... there, back on Roar 😁

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Waz - 2 Apr 2020 10:11 PM
Roar in me Blood - 2 Apr 2020 10:03 PM

Until Clockwork came back I thought we were in with a chance of winning the Grand Final too ... 

Yeah sorry guys, Robbie gave me an earful before departing for the motherland.

For what it's worth, my take on the season.  I'll start with fessing up that I thought signing Fowler was a joke, and that it woudl be a disaster.  Very happy to be proven wrong. The thing I've enjoyed most about watching the team develop under Fowler is that this is really what football is about for most fans around the world. In most comps there are only a handful of team out of 20 or so that are in with a chance at trophies. For the rest it is about the coach and the players putting the highest value on getting a result, staying up, beating your rivals and getting as many points as possible. This is what Fowler and the boys have been doing.
Yeah, it was great watching quality football under Ange, just as it must have been great being a Nottingham Forest supporter in the late 70s. But things change. I'm very grateful I got to see the Ange era, but I'm also quite happy watching my team scrap for hard earned points. Last season under Aloisi we just went out there, played the same every week - if it worked good, if it didn't we got beat by 3 and we'd just do it all again the next week. Like for like subs at 70 minutes regardless of the state of the game.
With Fowler the difference is,  I can't remember seeing a coach so prepared to change things up mid game or the following week to try his hardest to get a result. 
Really hope he's back next year, and I don;t care if we win every match 1-0 with a last minute penalty.

Edited
4 Years Ago by clockwork orange
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star

Sorry for bringing politics into it, seemed like a good idea at the time, maybe being in lockdown did something to my thort process. 

Anyway yes yes I agree, 1-0 wins are still 3 points. And in the last few games I was not thinking, we'll get scored against shortly. 

We were just not conceding. It was all heading in the right direction. 
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Bloody Nora!
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Finally watched the Roar v Adelaide game from the 8th of February. Fox put up the table during the game and its amazing to think before kick off we were on 19 points and United were on 24. As of now, we're on 35 points and United are only on 27. What a run we were on!
One of the things I particularly watched for were the overlapping runs and crosses from the wide centre backs which were, according to @Waz a feature of how RF was trying to get us to play. Bowles at RCB had one cross in the 17th minute, Gillespie at LCB had none, but did have one shot on target in the second half.
The Fox commentary was heavily in favour of United and they were talking up the prospects of United getting close to Perth on the ladder. Funny when you look at the ladder now!
My overall impression of the play was how assured our play was and that they were playing to a plan. Whether it was Waz's plan or not that they were playing to, we can only look on now and wonder what might have been.
Bottom line is, I hope RF comes back next year.
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star

Footballking55 - 12 Apr 2020 5:21 PM
Finally watched the Roar v Adelaide game from the 8th of February. Fox put up the table during the game and its amazing to think before kick off we were on 19 points and United were on 24. As of now, we're on 35 points and United are only on 27. What a run we were on!
One of the things I particularly watched for were the overlapping runs and crosses from the wide centre backs which were, according to @Waz a feature of how RF was trying to get us to play. Bowles at RCB had one cross in the 17th minute, Gillespie at LCB had none, but did have one shot on target in the second half.
The Fox commentary was heavily in favour of United and they were talking up the prospects of United getting close to Perth on the ladder. Funny when you look at the ladder now!
My overall impression of the play was how assured our play was and that they were playing to a plan. Whether it was Waz's plan or not that they were playing to, we can only look on now and wonder what might have been.
Bottom line is, I hope RF comes back next year.

As do I and others. 
its seems apparent that RF always had a plan to work on in steps. That being let's get this part organised and then we move on to the next step. 
This seems to me to be how the climb up the ladder was achieved. 
Im thinking there was still more steps to achieve and we wonder then where that may have taken us. 
Its like a development squad....don't worry about results....let's progress through the targets we set and results will likely come later on. 
Though so many knockers gave RF and team so little credit from the start many of us looked for and could see the positives. 
so that says more about the knockers themselves than about RF. 
we look forward to RF's return. 
will he be the messiah for Brisbane ??
the jury is still out but it was looking good. 
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

a friend was advised that David Pourre would be inspecting "the facilities" at the new Petrie University last week...hmm ? ....lots of land there ......
unless of course David is looking for a job there ...Lol

Edited
4 Years Ago by miron mercedes
paulc
paulc
Legend

Pietre University just opened a few weeks ago and a picture on Google shows a new stadium in the background? That must be a future proposal?

In a resort somewhere

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

A good option, not as far as Redcliffe. Make the north south option for a second team viable too. What would happen with Logan? Sell to Brisbane South?
Waz
Waz
Legend

Footballking55 - 13 Apr 2020 12:03 PM
A good option, not as far as Redcliffe. Make the north south option for a second team viable too. What would happen with Logan? Sell to Brisbane South?

Brisbane “South” will be on the Gold Coast. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
paulc - 13 Apr 2020 9:10 AM
Pietre University just opened a few weeks ago and a picture on Google shows a new stadium in the background? That must be a future proposal?

Got a link?
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro

Waz - 13 Apr 2020 12:40 PM
Footballking55 - 13 Apr 2020 12:03 PM

Brisbane “South” will be on the Gold Coast. 

IT makes sense. Share Robina with the Titans or go it alone?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search