The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Footballking55 - 13 Apr 2020 12:03 PM
A good option, not as far as Redcliffe. Make the north south option for a second team viable too. What would happen with Logan? Sell to Brisbane South?

Depends here you coming from. 

Roar will not go to GCst. Maybe to train....not to play surely. 

The odd game is fair enough and I guess that's the intention. 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Footballking55 - 13 Apr 2020 4:26 PM
Waz - 13 Apr 2020 12:40 PM

IT makes sense. Share Robina with the Titans or go it alone?

If they build that boutique stadium down there that would be the clincher first me. 
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

I just wish Roar would decide where they want to be, get a ground and a club house of some sort. I feel a bit sorry for others trying to work out the best solution/location for a second Brisbane team when no one knows where Roar is going to be based.
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

paladisious - 13 Apr 2020 2:42 PM
paulc - 13 Apr 2020 9:10 AM

Got a link?

Tried to find it again but couldn't. It was in small scale so must have been looking at something else.

Plenty of space available for a stadium though. Right next to train line and not too far from city.

If Roar were looking to refurbish or modify an existing stadium as they said then this is not the place. 

In a resort somewhere

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

clockwork orange - 13 Apr 2020 5:51 PM
I just wish Roar would decide where they want to be, get a ground and a club house of some sort. I feel a bit sorry for others trying to work out the best solution/location for a second Brisbane team when no one knows where Roar is going to be based.

The location of a second Brisbane team shouldn’t affect this. It’s not like we’ll see a second Brisbane team any time soon. 
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Waz - 15 Apr 2020 12:56 PM
clockwork orange - 13 Apr 2020 5:51 PM

The location of a second Brisbane team shouldn’t affect this. It’s not like we’ll see a second Brisbane team any time soon. 

Agree. But wherever Roar end up will affect planning for a second team. The longer there’s no decision the further away any real progress of a second team is.
Still don’t understand how a third Melb team is more viable or more necessary than a second Bris team.
Waz
Waz
Legend

clockwork orange - 15 Apr 2020 2:20 PM
Waz - 15 Apr 2020 12:56 PM

Agree. But wherever Roar end up will affect planning for a second team. The longer there’s no decision the further away any real progress of a second team is.
Still don’t understand how a third Melb team is more viable or more necessary than a second Bris team.

I don’t think a second Brisbane team is viable, not in the city anyway. That’s where Pro/Rel comes in to my mind - it stops the artificial debate about who and where and let’s clubs live and die by on/off field achievements 
Waz
Waz
Legend

A rare positive article on Roar from the SBS:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/fong-planning-a-bigger-brisbane-in-new-a-league-landscape

looks like Roar are taking over the three remaining pitches at Logan on a full time basis. 
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

Waz - 16 Apr 2020 9:08 AM
clockwork orange - 15 Apr 2020 2:20 PM

I don’t think a second Brisbane team is viable, not in the city anyway. That’s where Pro/Rel comes in to my mind - it stops the artificial debate about who and where and let’s clubs live and die by on/off field achievements 

I agree - not in the city IF Roar is based in the city.  The second team would need to be GC, Sunshine Coast, or Ipswich. But if Roar moves to Dolphin (for example) then it would be logical for there to be a team on the south or west side of the city.  Similarly, if Roar moved to Logan then a north-side team would be logical and viable. That's my point. 

Roar has at times drawn 13-14k average crowds. So, two teams drawing 7-10k average crowds is totally achievable and viable of they play out of proper sized stadiums.  

Pro/rel can't work while Roar are at Suncorp - Where is Roar's home if they are relegated? They couldn't possibly play out of Suncorp.  Does the promoted team have to play out of Suncorp? What if it's Pen Power or Western Pride? 

I'm slowly moving to the camp that says a club without a ground and a clubhouse is not really a club - it's just a team that will never survive relegation.

Waz
Waz
Legend

clockwork orange - 16 Apr 2020 9:34 AM
Waz - 16 Apr 2020 9:08 AM

I agree - not in the city IF Roar is based in the city.  The second team would need to be GC, Sunshine Coast, or Ipswich. But if Roar moves to Dolphin (for example) then it would be logical for there to be a team on the south or west side of the city.  Similarly, if Roar moved to Logan then a north-side team would be logical and viable. That's my point. 

Roar has at times drawn 13-14k average crowds. So, two teams drawing 7-10k average crowds is totally achievable and viable of they play out of proper sized stadiums.  

Pro/rel can't work while Roar are at Suncorp - Where is Roar's home if they are relegated? They couldn't possibly play out of Suncorp.  Does the promoted team have to play out of Suncorp? What if it's Pen Power or Western Pride? 

I'm slowly moving to the camp that says a club without a ground and a clubhouse is not really a club - it's just a team that will never survive relegation.

Roars move to Dolphin has been the best thing for football in this State. It’s highlighted the FFAs folly of insisting on big stadia from the start and Roars lack of ambition over the past 5 years to get out and do something different. 

I believe the contract at Suncorp has another season to run so 2021/22 is probably the earliest Roar could move with the only real question bring where to? 

The three biggest supported football teams in QLD are Roar men, Roar women and Roar youth - non of the NPL clubs pull followings that suggest they can do anything like four figure crowds on a regular basis. On the current model that means we’ll get a Brisbane Heart concoction which is doomed to failure. 

And it’s not just supporters that’s lacking, it’s corporate dollars too - even Roar head to Sydney and Melbourne to get sponsors so a new club will have to do something similar - corporate dollars are second only to TV revenue so it’s important. 

I’d rather we had 4 QLD sides in a NSD with pro/rel - the best will eventually come up and grow a following in the process. If they can’t survive in the HAL they can go back down and go again, so in total agreement with you on having that home base, club house and stadium

(but remember, under the current deal clubs can’t have their own club house without paying a share of profits to the FFA) 

CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

I still think Gold Coast is by some distance the logical next step.
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

Waz - 16 Apr 2020 9:46 AM
clockwork orange - 16 Apr 2020 9:34 AM

Roars move to Dolphin has been the best thing for football in this State. It’s highlighted the FFAs folly of insisting on big stadia from the start and Roars lack of ambition over the past 5 years to get out and do something different. 

I believe the contract at Suncorp has another season to run so 2021/22 is probably the earliest Roar could move with the only real question bring where to? 

The three biggest supported football teams in QLD are Roar men, Roar women and Roar youth - non of the NPL clubs pull followings that suggest they can do anything like four figure crowds on a regular basis. On the current model that means we’ll get a Brisbane Heart concoction which is doomed to failure. 

And it’s not just supporters that’s lacking, it’s corporate dollars too - even Roar head to Sydney and Melbourne to get sponsors so a new club will have to do something similar - corporate dollars are second only to TV revenue so it’s important. 

I’d rather we had 4 QLD sides in a NSD with pro/rel - the best will eventually come up and grow a following in the process. If they can’t survive in the HAL they can go back down and go again, so in total agreement with you on having that home base, club house and stadium

(but remember, under the current deal clubs can’t have their own club house without paying a share of profits to the FFA) 

I agree that Roar moving to Dolphin is not necessarily a bad thing. But it’d be like having only one Sydney team playing out of Cronulla.  My guess is that if Roar move to Dolphin there’s at least 25% of ‘fans’ would switch to a new club on the city’s south side. Can’t imagine fans from out Logan or Springfield way getting to Dolphin for 6pm Friday night games.
You seem to think that just because people don’t go to watch Brisbane City play Moreton Bay that they won’t go to watch Brisbane City vs Melbourne Victory. 

Waz
Waz
Legend

clockwork orange - 16 Apr 2020 11:18 PM
Waz - 16 Apr 2020 9:46 AM

I agree that Roar moving to Dolphin is not necessarily a bad thing. But it’d be like having only one Sydney team playing out of Cronulla.  My guess is that if Roar move to Dolphin there’s at least 25% of ‘fans’ would switch to a new club on the city’s south side. Can’t imagine fans from out Logan or Springfield way getting to Dolphin for 6pm Friday night games.
You seem to think that just because people don’t go to watch Brisbane City play Moreton Bay that they won’t go to watch Brisbane City vs Melbourne Victory. 

I don’t think they will. Be lucky to get 5k to big games bar the derby. 

That’s not an issue with pro/rel because clubs shrink/expand over time, but clubs locked into perpetual mediocrity (as CCM are tight now) will really struggle. 

There’s one reason Roar get big crowds - Lions FC 

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

Waz - 16 Apr 2020 11:34 PM
clockwork orange - 16 Apr 2020 11:18 PM

I don’t think they will. Be lucky to get 5k to big games bar the derby. 

That’s not an issue with pro/rel because clubs shrink/expand over time, but clubs locked into perpetual mediocrity (as CCM are tight now) will really struggle. 

There’s one reason Roar get big crowds - Lions FC 

I don't see a second team and pro/rel as being mutually exclusive.  
It is a shame that there is no path to Roar playing at Richlands - Great Clubhouse, near a station, could easily develop a boutique stadium .... and less than ten minutes from home. :) 
Would leave the inner city and northside for the second team.

Waz
Waz
Legend

clockwork orange - 17 Apr 2020 8:20 AM
Waz - 16 Apr 2020 11:34 PM

I don't see a second team and pro/rel as being mutually exclusive.  
It is a shame that there is no path to Roar playing at Richlands - Great Clubhouse, near a station, could easily develop a boutique stadium .... and less than ten minutes from home. :) 
Would leave the inner city and northside for the second team.

Agree. A return to Richlands would be perfect. 

We could have ‘The Circle of Life’ as our walk-our song then 😂

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

Waz - 17 Apr 2020 9:11 AM
clockwork orange - 17 Apr 2020 8:20 AM

Agree. A return to Richlands would be perfect. 

We could have ‘The Circle of Life’ as our walk-our song then 😂

Meet you there for a drink after this is all over 👍
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Surely Roar will be looking to never play at Suncorp again

Waz
Waz
Legend

clockwork orange - 17 Apr 2020 3:54 PM
Waz - 17 Apr 2020 9:11 AM

Meet you there for a drink after this is all over 👍

👍
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

If Roar play out of Dolphin Oval in future .Then the mascot should be the clown fish .Lol.?.Orange and Black.Sorry Roary.

Waz
Waz
Legend

crimsoncrusoe - 18 Apr 2020 12:03 PM
If Roar play out of Dolphin Oval in future .Then the mascot should be the clown fish .Lol.?.Orange and Black.Sorry Roary.

Stretch. Has to be a straight fight between Roary and a Dolphin. 

Serious question though. If the tv contract does go as everyone seems to expect, where else could Roar play but Dolphin? 

Waz
Waz
Legend

Quick shout out to this page on Facebook 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/224290858688683

on the history of football in Queensland. Brilliant stuff being posted daily 😁
Keeper66
Keeper66
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Waz - 18 Apr 2020 12:41 PM
Quick shout out to this page on Facebook 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/224290858688683

on the history of football in Queensland. Brilliant stuff being posted daily 😁

Have to agree. Some great stuff here. Good to reflect on great names of the past.

BRFC_92
BRFC_92
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

I’m enjoying the player voting on the Roarcast’s page. Broich is a shoe in though.
Waz
Waz
Legend

Roar streaming the Glory GF tonight ..... and the official Glory twitter feed tweeting complaints about Berisha’s penalty 😂. No shortage of salt out west 
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Would the penalty have been overturned with VAR.I think not.Lol
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

crimsoncrusoe - 22 Apr 2020 11:36 AM
Would the penalty have been overturned with VAR.I think not.Lol

Interesting question. Many replays seemed to show no contact. Only a few high def ones from the right angle clearly showed contact. I reckon a few refs would have loved the opportunity to overturn it.
CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

Waz - 18 Apr 2020 12:37 PM
crimsoncrusoe - 18 Apr 2020 12:03 PM

Stretch. Has to be a straight fight between Roary and a Dolphin. 

Serious question though. If the tv contract does go as everyone seems to expect, where else could Roar play but Dolphin? 

Becoming, by default, a north Brisbane team.
Waz
Waz
Legend

CS - 22 Apr 2020 1:15 PM
Waz - 18 Apr 2020 12:37 PM

Becoming, by default, a north Brisbane team.

That’s FFA thinking. Man Utd aren’t even a Manchester club  with support all over England and the world. 

The thought process that clubs get a post code area is the franchise model - if people from the east want to support say Lions, Strikers or B/City then let them meanwhile Brisbane Roar can draw from all of Brisbane no matter where it plays. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Waz
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Waz - 22 Apr 2020 1:45 PM
CS - 22 Apr 2020 1:15 PM

That’s FFA thinking. Man Utd aren’t even a Manchester club  with support all over England and the world. 

The thought process that clubs get a post code area is the franchise model - if people from the east want to support say Lions, Strikers or B/City then let them meanwhile Brisbane Roar can draw from all of Brisbane no matter where it plays. 

You are a Logan club.

But as long as there is one club in Qld/SEQ you will get all the fans that want to watch pro football.  
Edited
4 Years Ago by scott20won
thekingmb
thekingmb
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Waz - 22 Apr 2020 11:30 AM
Roar streaming the Glory GF tonight ..... and the official Glory twitter feed tweeting complaints about Berisha’s penalty 😂. No shortage of salt out west 

To this day, i still can't believe the rage from a lot of the fans. VAR wouldn't have overturned the decision, however if it wasn't given, the VAR wouldn't have given the pen.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search