The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
thekingmb - 3 Aug 2020 11:26 AM
aok - 3 Aug 2020 8:48 AM

The imports ARE average. Only O'Shea gets a pass mark. In saying that, 75% of imports across the league were/are average this season.

Gives us a fair indication of where we are at in the world football stakes. As discussed elsewhere, our football culture is lacking, so we therefore play from a smaller base. That said, we are competitive and have a great environment. We are English speaking which also has advantages across the world. We need to sort out the playing pyramid sooner rather than later. That will bring more $$$$$$ through transfer fees. We have held ourselves back for far too long. Only then can we expect to get a better import (on average) rather than a one off like Del Piero.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

The imports ARE average. Only O'Shea gets a pass mark. In saying that, 75% of imports across the league were/are average this season.

That would need some kind of scale to measure the statement against, which we don’t have. 

From memory people made their mind up about Fowler the moment he was appointed, then they made his mind up about the type of signings he made and how good they would be, then they were sure on the type of football he would play (it was going to be “hoofball” apparently .... instead Fowler delivered a sophisticated 3-5-2 with a short passing game - how wrong the Karen’s were!). 

Looking at the signings, only Holloway is disappointing and below average to my eye. 

O’Shea is class and was being chased by a number of championship clubs, all of which play at a higher level than the HAL. 

Gillespie has proven himself to be a quality CB as has Aldred, who’s also turned in to a quality leader and captain too. 

O’Donnovan was a failure but only because the system was wrong for him, he’s back scoring at Jets so defiantly A League standard. 

The visa players are 3/5 very good signings. Roars performances this season and ladder position are evidence of a good squad who can play well. 

Under Fowler they were very conservative but Moon seems to have changed that (as a consequence we’re looking less secure at the back tho). 

All that’s missing from this discussion is a little humility from people who went early, and went hard on Fowler - then struggled when their comments looked a bit foolish. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Waz
richv
richv
Super Fan
Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)

Aldreds pretty good, buts he's a bit of a thug. Spose thats what you want tho in a CB. Lots of arms and elbows in any contact, pushes the envelop but gets away with it.
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

As any coach or knowledgeable fan will tell you it's the sum of the parts that makes a team. 
What we all aim for is that a team adds up to more then the individuals. 
Look at how The National side competed against Maradona and co way back when. 
Looking at the Argentina side and Aussie side was chalk and expensive cheese but the Aussies were a team greater than the sum of the individuals. 
Roar are maybe performing better than the parts, maybe not but fact is after floundering at the bottom they worked their way out of it and will now play finals. 
Team spirit? Good coaching? Bit of both I'd say, 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Last time posting this I think:

1st SFC
2nd 43 pts City play AU WU (W W) 49 pts
3rd 41 pts Phoenix play NJ (W) 44 pts
4th 39 pts Roar play SFC (L) 39 pts
5th 37 pts Glory play MV WU (W W) 43 pts
6th 34 pts Adelaide play SFC MC (L L) 34 pts
----------------------------------
  31 pts Jets play WP (L) 31 pts
  30 pts Western United play WSW PG SFC MC (W L L L) 33 pts
  30 pts Wanderers play WU MV (L W) 33 pts
out MV
out CCM

I would say us climbing above 4th has now slipped into the land of mathematical possibility and holding 4th is unlikely.
Glory may or may not beat WU but are likely to beat Victory and skip over us - pushing us back to 5th.
Adelaide unlikely to win both their games so stay behind us. They may fall out of the 6 despite how well they are coming home.
WU are the only other team to threaten our position, and they have to win 3 of their 4 matches. Certainly possible, but I would not say likely.

BUT how good was it to hold 3rd place for 20 minutes tonight!

A fairly strong game with much room for improvement still. Getting stronger as we head into the finals.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Roar in me Blood
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

richv - 3 Aug 2020 12:47 PM

Aldreds pretty good, buts he's a bit of a thug. Spose thats what you want tho in a CB. Lots of arms and elbows in any contact, pushes the envelop but gets away with it.

A thug ? that a bit harsh ....he is a fairly efficient back and a good leader .
He is no more a thug than any other centre back out there . They all push shove and foul ....all .

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

DWH needs to seriously lift his game - nice kid but becoming anonymous in games 
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

miron mercedes - 6 Aug 2020 3:36 AM
richv - 3 Aug 2020 12:47 PM

A thug ? that a bit harsh ....he is a fairly efficient back and a good leader .
He is no more a thug than any other centre back out there . They all push shove and foul ....all .

Take a look at Jacobsen tonight of AU and see what a thug does. Aldred is mild in comparison.
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Waz - 6 Aug 2020 6:44 AM

2 or 3 clear opportunities to score last night and he stuffed them all. Had his touch or skill level been higher he would have been much more than his anonymous side - but his level has not improved and it is like saying 'if he was more like Messi he would be better'.

He is an enthusiastic surprise packet rather than a poacher or outright striker at this level so he needs to come out as a substitution for half an hour at the end.

Not sold on him as a starter now unless his main role is to put pressure on the opposition coming out and to keep them mindful of him getting into space behind and stopping them pushing out too far.

Waz
Waz
Legend

Roar in me Blood - 6 Aug 2020 8:30 AM

2 or 3 clear opportunities to score last night and he stuffed them all. Had his touch or skill level been higher he would have been much more than his anonymous side - but his level has not improved and it is like saying 'if he was more like Messi he would be better'.

He is an enthusiastic surprise packet rather than a poacher or outright striker at this level so he needs to come out as a substitution for half an hour at the end.

Not sold on him as a starter now unless his main role is to put pressure on the opposition coming out and to keep them mindful of him getting into space behind and stopping them pushing out too far.

I personally don’t believe you can develop strikers beyond their late teens - they either have it or they don’t  and all that happens is improved experience and decision making at 20+ .... but they need to be playing at their correct level. 

DWH is too good for NPL but not good enough for the HAL, without an NSD his best option is to find an overseas league - J2 or K2 would probably be perfect. 

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Waz - 6 Aug 2020 9:33 AM

I personally don’t believe you can develop strikers beyond their late teens - they either have it or they don’t  and all that happens is improved experience and decision making at 20+ .... but they need to be playing at their correct level. 

DWH is too good for NPL but not good enough for the HAL, without an NSD his best option is to find an overseas league - J2 or K2 would probably be perfect. 

Whilst not every striker needs to be, at least some of our strikers need to be selfish, hungry, greedy, desperate to score.

We are coaching this out of our kids. 

For anyone that has coached kids under the curriculum, think of the last time you had a player who shot on sight and who was a greedy, selfish player. 

Did you let him/her work on that and become a ruthless machine like finisher, or did you teach them to be a better team player and look for options before they tried to score?

We need to get some balance back in our coaching and realise that we need some selfish players to play as strikers.
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

I only watched the first half as i had training myself last night, but i thought that it was one of DWH's better halves of football. he took up much better positions than last game, made much more intelligent runs, and looked a bit more composed with the ball at his feet (where last couple of games he has really struggled with the ball at his feet). the only thing missing was his finishing (which was a feature of his game previously) as he had 2 or 3 clear cut chances that he struggled to put anywhere dangerous.

the roars system doesnt really suit DWH as the strikers are expected to hold the ball up, be creative and mostly recycle the ball from one side to the other. i think a bit like ROD, DWH would fit right in at a different club and start scoring again. saying that though, after the vic game i was saying that it was time for DWH to move on because i didnt think he could play the slower more methodical build up game. After last nights game i think he showed that he can adapt to the roars system but he is still in development for it, experience is what he needs, knowing when to let loose and shoot or take on a defender and when he should be slowing the ball down and recycling will come with more game time (particularly if he keep watching SMD)
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

After watching the second half of last nights game,I doubt Brisbane is a serious contender to win the championship.
The one thing we lack is pace on the counterattack and that is the thing that allows most other teams to press us deep without too much fear. 
Jamie Young as good as he is can only do so much.
Hopefully next season we can bring in someone like an Ibini or Buhajiar.
Three games since Covid and DWH bashers come out again.Lol
Nobody else missing shots?
Nobody else not scoring?
Nobody improves as a striker?
If only SMacca had the skills he has now back in his Socceroo days.His ball control is light years ahead ,where it used to be .

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

crimsoncrusoe - 6 Aug 2020 10:30 AM
After watching the second half of last nights game,I doubt Brisbane is a serious contender to win the championship.
The one thing we lack is pace on the counterattack and that is the thing that allows most other teams to press us deep without too much fear. 
Nobody else not scoring?
If only SMacca had the skills he has now back in his Socceroo days.His ball control is light years ahead ,where it used to be .

I don't think it is bashing DWH to recognise that he has to improve significantly before we can call him a striker in the aLeague or call on him to lead the line. I agree he looked dangerous lat night which was great to see right up until he misfired each time. 

At this stage of this season I do not think it is the time to be giving him game time to develop if we have a better option. That is arguably where we sit - Amadi-Holloway v Mura v DWH.

I think DWH is in the team to score - others around him may miss shots, but it is meant to be his bread and butter.

I felt like it would not take too much more for us to have scored a couple more last night. We do not have to match the flair of other teams if we can do that and we can.

Waz
Waz
Legend

crimsoncrusoe - 6 Aug 2020 10:30 AM
Nobody else not scoring?

Well, it’s three games since COVID yes .... but 36 games in to his Roar career with 6 goals returned and its clear his runs aren’t great, his vision for passing lacking and his ability to make the telling runs are not there. 

It’s not a case of “bashing” him - he’s not delivering or improving so surely his position should be questioned. Or is a 23 year old striker above being questioned?? 

Moon made a tactical error last night imo. Going to 4-5-1 against Nix was inviting trouble which is what they got. Unfortunately Holloway off the bench offers little .... putting Ingham alongside DWH might have been better, it would have at least allowed Roar to press high and offer a counter attacking threat instead of sacrificing three quarters of the pitch for Nix to launch a wave of attacks from. 

But DWH is not going enough to justify a place on the bench let alone a starting position 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Waz
maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

probably earn more in India, Malaysia, etc
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Adelaide draw means we have secured a finals spot. With one game to go we have conceded 44 goals fewer than last season!!! But apparently all our defenders are shite... go figure.

Edited
4 Years Ago by clockwork orange
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

clockwork orange - 6 Aug 2020 10:20 PM
Adelaide draw means we have secured a finals spot. With one game to go we have conceded 44 goals fewer than last season!!! But apparently all our defenders are shite... go figure.

Thugs and shite I believe.

Watching us play Nix showed that you don't have to play like your opponent - just neutralise them and score 1 more than them.

As smooth and dangerous as Nix were, we could have won that game playing our way.

As Waz pointed out a week or so ago - just making the finals is not what we are aiming for. Playing better each game and getting back to our hard earned strength so we go into the finals on the up is the goal.

The 5 subs has robbed our playing style of some of its potency at no insignificant cost to us - where we used to run out games fitter and stronger, the opposition now has 2 extra subs to stay fresh. The football is faster and more enjoyable, but it is actually quite a big disadvantage to a team that wore its opponents down then beat them before the covid break.

We are all playing a different game now.

Just a passing thought - if SFC score 44 goals next game we are going to look like cocky idiots.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Roar in me Blood
Waz
Waz
Legend

It’s been a good season in comparison to last year. 

Probably 3 players short of being a really good side though. I think we’re capable of winning the GF now but not as “the best side” it’s just obvious SFC and Nix have come back weaker, only City look as strong as before .... but they always choke in big games so it’s wide open. 

Absolutely need a top quality striker next year and a quality AM. Both hard to find. 

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 6 Aug 2020 11:04 PM

Thugs and shite I believe.

Watching us play Nix showed that you don't have to play like your opponent - just neutralise them and score 1 more than them.

As smooth and dangerous as Nix were, we could have won that game playing our way.

As Waz pointed out a week or so ago - just making the finals is not what we are aiming for. Playing better each game and getting back to our hard earned strength so we go into the finals on the up is the goal.

The 5 subs has robbed our playing style of some of its potency at no insignificant cost to us - where we used to run out games fitter and stronger, the opposition now has 2 extra subs to stay fresh. The football is faster and more enjoyable, but it is actually quite a big disadvantage to a team that wore its opponents down then beat them before the covid break.

We are all playing a different game now.

Just a passing thought - if SFC score 44 goals next game we are going to look like cocky idiots.

I'm surprised this wasn't pointed out before
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

aok - 7 Aug 2020 10:41 AM
Roar in me Blood - 6 Aug 2020 11:04 PM

I'm surprised this wasn't pointed out before

Every day is a fresh start.

Larrygdwl
Larrygdwl
Under 7s
Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 6 Aug 2020 9:56 AM

Whilst not every striker needs to be, at least some of our strikers need to be selfish, hungry, greedy, desperate to score.

We are coaching this out of our kids. 

For anyone that has coached kids under the curriculum, think of the last time you had a player who shot on sight and who was a greedy, selfish player. 

Did you let him/her work on that and become a ruthless machine like finisher, or did you teach them to be a better team player and look for options before they tried to score?

We need to get some balance back in our coaching and realise that we need some selfish players to play as strikers.

The guys played well, but could not keep the result of the first half. Cory Brown as a defender is very weak, he is possibly a good winger. He played cowardly and did not win a single ball on the top by his head. Wenzel-Hall runs a lot, but does not know and does not understand what he should do as a striker, he is not ready for the starting lineup yet, he will be good for the last 15 minutes when the opponent is tired. The result of the match is satisfactory for both teams

dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Dwh  > Amanda holiday

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

dirkvanadidas - 7 Aug 2020 9:09 PM
Dwh  > Amanda holiday

Inappropriate comparison to me - Amadi-Holloway should be playing a role somewhere between DM and AM based on what we have seen of his ball holding and passing strengths. He continues to be held up against DWH and Mura in the forward line though - where he is a solid tower to pass to, high or low, but that is about it.

We should be using his strength like we saw all the way back in pre-season bringing the ball through the middle in traffic and under pressure then laying off to DWH, Macca, or whoever else we have running through. Trouble is, we already have other players around that area (and his fitness is not up to a full game there) so to me he gets played where his strength is nullified.

I agree that DWH > Amadi-Holloway in the forward line. For that matter, DWH > Jamie Young too in that context.

JiMMM
JiMMM
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 7 Aug 2020 9:48 PM
dirkvanadidas - 7 Aug 2020 9:09 PM

For that matter, DWH > Jamie Young too in that context.

No, no one is better than Jamie in any position.
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

mr moon is growing on me and look forward to next season,

his best signing is getting fyfee on the coaching staff 

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

Waz
Waz
Legend

dirkvanadidas - 10 Aug 2020 10:11 PM
mr moon is growing on me and look forward to next season,

his best signing is getting fyfee on the coaching staff 

It looks like we’re in good hands. 

Excellent forward planning from the club as well - he was brought in as Fowler’s long term replacement and was ready and waiting when Robbie made his decision 👏👏

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Ha! Can't resist one last post because I find it really interesting:

1st SFC
2nd 44 pts City play WU (W) 47 pts 10 GD
3rd 41 pts Phoenix play NJ (W) 44 pts 8 GD
4th 40 pts Roar 1 GD
5th 37 pts Glory play WU (W) 40 pts 9 GD
6th 36 pts Adelaide -5 GD
  33 pts Western United play PG SFC MC (L L L) 33 pts -6 GD
out NJ
out WSW
out MV
out CCM

Most likely WU will end up 6th and play Nix in finals, while we play Glory as either 4th v 5th or 5th v 4th. WU would need 2 wins or a win and 2 draws to overtake Glory since they are not going to make up the Goal Difference.

Tomorrow PG v WU 5:30pm will be informative.

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)

Love the way you support Dillon 
😂 
notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)

notarobot - 11 Aug 2020 10:49 PM

Love the way you support Dillon 
😂 

nice finish from Dillon as well. Won’t shut the critics up but will make them happier ...  

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search