Canberra’s new European A-League offer with an Aussie twist [Comments]

Canberra’s new European A-League offer with an Aussie twist...

Author
Inside Sport Bot
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Canberra’s new European A-League offer with an Aussie twist

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/canberrasnew-european-a-league-offer-with-an-aussie-twist-552329

schimch
schimch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Get in. I love the persistence and ambition in the face of 12 years of being dragged through it.

Surely the FFA could deal with a little cash injection this FY from selling a new license?
CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Michael Caggiano just won’t give up, I love it. While many Canberrans are weary of the FFA and in fact the rest of Australia’s football community, Caggiano seems determined to get us into the A-League. Good on him, I’ll put some money in the pot and sign up as a member right now if the FFA are genuinely entertaining a Canberra team, rather than using us as a fluffer bid again to drive up the price of the licence. I’d like to hear something positive from the FFA, like the positive remarks they made about WSW many years back. On the European connection, the Canberra football rumour mill is suggesting an Italian group, but who knows. 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

CanberraHarry - 25 Aug 2020 1:36 PM
Michael Caggiano just won’t give up, I love it. While many Canberrans are weary of the FFA and in fact the rest of Australia’s football community, Caggiano seems determined to get us into the A-League. Good on him, I’ll put some money in the pot and sign up as a member right now if the FFA are genuinely entertaining a Canberra team, rather than using us as a fluffer bid again to drive up the price of the licence. I’d like to hear something positive from the FFA, like the positive remarks they made about WSW many years back. On the European connection, the Canberra football rumour mill is suggesting an Italian group, but who knows. 

I’d buy one well mate I’d love an away trip to Canberra. 
Goals10
Goals10
Weekender
Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)

Melbcityguy - 25 Aug 2020 1:43 PM

Great opportunity for our youth to aspire towards after life in NPL

JayEss
JayEss
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Just give them a fuckin spot already.

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I'm excited. Make a Canberra and second Brisbane/SE Queensland team the 13th and 14th teams would be fantastic. Go to a 26 game league with finals and we pass the AFC number of games test. You know it makes sense!!!!
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Strange comment:
"He added: “Players like [Socceroo] Tom Rogic and [former Bundesliga defender] George Timotheou skip the A-League and sign directly with top overseas clubs "

Didn't Rogic play for the Mariners?

CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro

bettega - 25 Aug 2020 4:40 PM
Strange comment:
"He added: “Players like [Socceroo] Tom Rogic and [former Bundesliga defender] George Timotheou skip the A-League and sign directly with top overseas clubs "

Didn't Rogic play for the Mariners?

Correct, Rogic played for CCM and what Caggiano said was not perfect but if anyone knows Rogic’s story it sort of makes sense. At various stages of his career Rogic has been shunned and had no clear pathway to the top, and this was not helped by not having an A-League side in Canberra. As an aside, Rogic was an excellent Canberra Futsal player but was not rated as highly at outdoor when younger. He ended up coming to more mainstream attention via the Nike program and only then got picked up by Arnie at CCM. None of that means an A-League side would have certainly discovered him but then again, his chances and others like him from this region would be increased if we had an A-league side. Other Canberrans before him have found alternative pathways, such as Valeri and Zelic. 
Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Not with a winter season!
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Footballking55 - 25 Aug 2020 3:58 PM
I'm excited. Make a Canberra and second Brisbane/SE Queensland team the 13th and 14th teams would be fantastic. Go to a 26 game league with finals and we pass the AFC number of games test. You know it makes sense!!!!

Damn, do I really have to feel optimistic again, only to be let down, hmm???
elksy
elksy
Hacker
Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)

Coverdale - 25 Aug 2020 5:59 PM

A summer season is a boiler there tho as well, prefer to rug up in winter and head down.

FFA need to let/make this happen, we need people who want to invest and work into the game, id prefer the 13th but if mariners have to go to take a step forward, sadly it must be that way. 
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Hope Canberra get a club. Can’t have Canberra ‘Mariners’ though?!
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

CanberraHarry - 25 Aug 2020 5:02 PM

Correct, Rogic played for CCM and what Caggiano said was not perfect but if anyone knows Rogic’s story it sort of makes sense. At various stages of his career Rogic has been shunned and had no clear pathway to the top, and this was not helped by not having an A-League side in Canberra. As an aside, Rogic was an excellent Canberra Futsal player but was not rated as highly at outdoor when younger. He ended up coming to more mainstream attention via the Nike program and only then got picked up by Arnie at CCM. None of that means an A-League side would have certainly discovered him but then again, his chances and others like him from this region would be increased if we had an A-league side. Other Canberrans before him have found alternative pathways, such as Valeri and Zelic. 

From memory he was also lined up to head to Reading after Nike but didn’t have the visa
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Or let 16 teams battle it out in the 2nd division and promote the winner for the next 4 years to get 16 teams.

Then go full pro / rel.

Or just keep manufacturing plastic franchises that no one cares about. 

Member since 2008.

Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 25 Aug 2020 6:39 PM

Or let 16 teams battle it out in the 2nd division and promote the winner for the next 4 years to get 16 teams.

Then go full pro / rel.

Or just keep manufacturing plastic franchises that no one cares about. 

With the tightening of their belts, money hard to come by, FFA should let in another 6 franchises and make a motza, even teams without homegrounds if they must.
Then the execs can give themselves a pay rise after that. That's a fair call.
CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro

aussie pride - 25 Aug 2020 6:37 PM

From memory he was also lined up to head to Reading after Nike but didn’t have the visa

That sounds right, from memory.
CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro

Balin Trev - 25 Aug 2020 6:25 PM
Hope Canberra get a club. Can’t have Canberra ‘Mariners’ though?!

Notwithstanding I am expecting to be strung along and disappointed again, if I allow myself to dream about entry and a name I struggle a bit. I actually just like Canberra FC but I think the local Croatian club have the rights to that name. A part of me likes the name Canberra Cosmos, notwithstanding that venture’s sad demise - it would be a big middle finger to those who like to use that experience as a reason not to let us back in, as if that was only yesterday and the landscape is still the same. The uniform was pretty good too.
CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro

I hope you get the chance, thanks mate. There’d be some good road trips for fans from Melbourne and Sydney, and for us going the other way too. 
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Always liked the name Canberra Athletic and makes some sense with its AIS links.

I’m happy for Canberra to join if they can prove self sufficient and don’t take the Mariners license. 
Would be great if we can get to 14 teams ASAP.

df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

I don't mind Canberra Athletic (some team should take the "Athletic" moniker at some point), but my money is on Canberra Rovers. The consortium is called CRFC (Canberra Region Football Collective), so I imagine they will stay with the same initials, and Canberra Rovers has a nice ring to it.
CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro

Good suggestions, Athletic and Rovers. And I agree, I would like to get entry but not instead of the Mariners, rather in addition to them. 
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Coverdale - 25 Aug 2020 5:59 PM

So damn true. Canberra winter nights in particular are an experience. Day time matches only there please or get that indoor stadium built fast :)

I agree that the FFA/iAL should get them in, even if it’s a couple of years away, they can still plan and have a roadmap to entry. 
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

CanberraHarry - 25 Aug 2020 8:18 PM
Balin Trev - 25 Aug 2020 6:25 PM

Notwithstanding I am expecting to be strung along and disappointed again, if I allow myself to dream about entry and a name I struggle a bit. I actually just like Canberra FC but I think the local Croatian club have the rights to that name. A part of me likes the name Canberra Cosmos, notwithstanding that venture’s sad demise - it would be a big middle finger to those who like to use that experience as a reason not to let us back in, as if that was only yesterday and the landscape is still the same. The uniform was pretty good too.

Pretty sure they've reverted back to Canberra or Deakin Croatia FC now that NCIP is dead. Canberra FC should be fair game.

Viennese Vuck

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Canberra United, as it already exists as a football brand and can build from that base. 

I really liked the Western Athletic name before they chose United, so it would be good for someone to use it. I don’t mind Sporting too, but not as good as Athletic IMHO.

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Not quite correct. He had been identified by Lawrie McKinna well before the Nike challenge and was being monitored by Ron Smith on the Mariners behalf. He was going to be signed by the Mainers that season with or without the Nike program. All that did was complicate the matter with Reading's involvement.
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class

Would fans get behind a Red Bull Canberra club if investment was to come from them?

I know many seem to hate the idea of such things as RB and CFG being involved, but if the investment was the deciding factor between getting a licence and not, Would be interesting to see people’s thoughts.

Interesting to see that Gold Coast United are certainly pushing their case to join too. Certainly have my reservations about another attempt in what is Australia’s sporting graveyard of sorts, but on the flip side if it’s done right they could well gain some traction. 

Playing at a smaller venue would be ideal, but going up against the NRL and AFL if we shift to winter would be a big task. They are willing to throw big money to keep those clubs going afterall. 

CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro

patjennings - 25 Aug 2020 10:35 PM

Not quite correct. He had been identified by Lawrie McKinna well before the Nike challenge and was being monitored by Ron Smith on the Mariners behalf. He was going to be signed by the Mainers that season with or without the Nike program. All that did was complicate the matter with Reading's involvement.

I didn’t know that but it doesn’t surprise me, as Ron Smith has a great eye for talent as we all know. 
con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/we-have-everyone-behind-us-canberra-tables-fresh-bid-to-join-a-league-20200825-p55p2u.html

Clive Palmer's former club joins Canberra in race for A-League licence

NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 25 Aug 2020 9:48 PM
CanberraHarry - 25 Aug 2020 8:18 PM

Pretty sure they've reverted back to Canberra or Deakin Croatia FC now that NCIP is dead. Canberra FC should be fair game.

Correct. They are now Canberra Croatia FC. However, many things still list them as Canberra FC, so not sure if they still have rights / will make it hard for an A-League franchise to use it.
Heart_fan - 25 Aug 2020 9:55 PM
Canberra United, as it already exists as a football brand and can build from that base. 

I really liked the Western Athletic name before they chose United, so it would be good for someone to use it. I don’t mind Sporting too, but not as good as Athletic IMHO.

Yeah, my money is on Canberra United. The W-League side of things is already (at least moderately) successful, so would be a good idea to piggyback off that.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search